•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atik Infinity Color Camera - Initial Impressions

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#101 Carlscope

Carlscope

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Hi all heres a video just on you tube showing the binning being used when moving to target and some nice views with the infinity.

https://www.youtube....h?v=LvUpQl7EeyQ

Carl

Thanks for posting the video!

Which display monitor do you use for your live views in the observatory? Thanks.

Hi sorry should be more clear its not my setup (I wish) I found it on youtube the other day. Thought it would be of interest with the binning being used.

Carl

#102 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Warsaw Poland EU

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Carl, thanks for this link, very interesting.

#103 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

Hello,

I have followed the Celestron forum for about 2 years. Over this time I have a lot learned thanks to the "CloudyNight members".
This is my first post.
I'm considering buying a ATIK Infinity camera.
My mainly goal isn't to go in complicated/expensive astrophotography but to extend my visual observing and to better document the observations.
Since I become older, long time observation at the eyepiece becomes more difficult.
Therefore I think dat Video Astronomy (EAA) is a good way to go.

My equipment is rather simple:
Celestron Nexstar 6 SE with the standard Celestron mount.
A f/5 focal reducer. I don't have the expensive Hyperstar.

On YouTube I have found following videos:
https://www.youtube....h?v=JheW2PHKwcY
mono camera on a Celestron Nexstar SE 6 with f/7

https://www.youtube....h?v=28nuK8X6xbw
colour camera on a Celestron C11 + Hyperstar (f/2 ?)

https://www.youtube....h?v=dg-KGJr8J-o

https://www.youtube....h?v=R4MLUBa8ZDk
Current Software Compatibility

And also some other user videos/images, but always with bigger telescopes.

Before deciding to purchase the ATIK Infinity, I have some questions:

First question: how good will be the results with the colour camera on my Celestron Nexstar 6 SE,
without a Hyperstar and using a f/5 focal reducer?
I cannot find a video to show that. This is important to me, to decide which version mono or colour I have to choose.
I presume that the exposure time for a colour sensor must be higher to achieve comparable details on the images as with the mono.
But this requires perhaps a more accurate drive (spur gears versus worm gears like the Celestron Evolution series)?
Will the software compensate enough to achieve reasonable results?
So, in other words, will my Celestron Nexstar 6 SE be accurate enough to use a colour camera without a Hyperstar?
(I do my observations in rather good, dark environments)

Second question: do have someone a (downloadable) recorded session (if possible both mono/colour)?
So I’m able to replay and evaluate the different software settings.
(I have downloaded and installed the version 1.2 BETA Infinity capturing software)

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Roland

#104 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Hello,

I have followed the Celestron forum for about 2 years. Over this time I have a lot learned thanks to the "CloudyNight members".
This is my first post.
My mainly goal isn't to go in complicated/expensive astrophotography but to extend my visual observing and to better document the observations.
Since I become older, long time observation at the eyepiece becomes more difficult.

First question: how good will be the results with the colour camera on my Celestron Nexstar 6 SE,
I cannot find a video to show that. This is important to me, to decide which version mono or colour I have to choose.
I presume that the exposure time for a colour sensor must be higher to achieve comparable details on the images as with the mono.
But this requires perhaps a more accurate drive (spur gears versus worm gears like the Celestron Evolution series)?
So, in other words, will my Celestron Nexstar 6 SE be accurate enough to use a colour camera without a Hyperstar?

Second question: do have someone a (downloadable) recorded session (if possible both mono/colour)?
(I have downloaded and installed the version 1.2 BETA Infinity capturing software)

Roland

Roland,

Welcome to the EAA forum. I hope this thread was helpful to you. I have tried both the Infinity Color and Mono cameras and have also used 6/8SEs in the past for EAA so hopefully I can help answer your questions.

First Question: Let me just say it... the Infinity color camera is not well suited to the Nexstar 6SE. This is due to the slow acquisition speed of the 825 color sensor as I noted in my earlier posts. The 6/8SE mount does not have the tracking accuracy (due to the low quality spur gears) required for the longer exposures that you will need to produce acceptable results with the Color camera. I would strongly recommend against getting the Infinity Color camera unless you are willing to change your mount. If you are willing to change your mount, I recommend the Nexstar Evolution mount or the iOptron Cube Pro (cheaper and more portable) which provide the same simplicity as the Nexstar 6/8SE mount but deliver the required accuracy to reliably and consistently deliver 30s+ exposures that you need with this camera. You can still try to use shorter exposures with the 6SE mount but the acquisition will be very slow and results are not going to be very good.

Second Question: I have some recorded sessions but the directories are quiet large (3-4 GBs) and removing files selectively seems to confuse the application. I will try to see if I can record a shorter session that I can share but not sure when that will be given the weather forecast here.

Separately, have you also considered the Starlight Xpress Lodestar cameras? They would work well on a 6SE mount. Just like the Atik Infinity you can stack short exposures but image acquisition is much faster so you can use shorter sub exposures <15s.

Another suggestion is video cameras. Although they have lower resolution, image acquisition is quicker but for best results you will need an EQ mount or a better quality Alt Az mount that can track accurately for longer. If you want to do stacking the experience is not as seamless as the SX Lodestar or Atik cameras.

-Hiten

Edited by Astrojedi, 19 January 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• roelb likes this

#105 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Hello,

This is my first post.

Roland

Roland,

Welcome to the EAA forum. I hope this thread was helpful to you. I have tried both the Infinity Color and Mono cameras and have also used 6/8SEs in the past for EAA so hopefully I can help answer your questions.

First Question: Let me just say it... the Infinity color camera is not well suited to the Nexstar 6SE. This is due to the slow acquisition speed of the 825 color sensor as I noted in my earlier posts. The 6/8SE mount does not have the tracking accuracy (due to the low quality spur gears) required for the longer exposures that you will need to produce acceptable results with the Color camera. I would strongly recommend against getting the Infinity Color camera unless you are willing to change your mount. If you are willing to change your mount, I recommend the Nexstar Evolution mount or the iOptron Cube Pro (cheaper and more portable) which provide the same simplicity as the Nexstar 6/8SE mount but deliver the required accuracy to reliably and consistently deliver 30s+ exposures that you need with this camera. You can still try to use shorter exposures with the 6SE mount but the acquisition will be very slow and results are not going to be very good.

Second Question: I have some recorded sessions but the directories are quiet large (3-4 GBs) and removing files selectively seems to confuse the application. I will try to see if I can record a shorter session that I can share but not sure when that will be given the weather forecast here.

Separately, have you also considered the Starlight Xpress Lodestar cameras? They would work well on a 6SE mount. Just like the Atik Infinity you can stack short exposures but image acquisition is much faster so you can use shorter sub exposures <15s.

Another suggestion is video cameras. Although they have lower resolution, image acquisition is quicker but for best results you will need an EQ mount or a better quality Alt Az mount that can track accurately for longer. If you want to do stacking the experience is not as seamless as the SX Lodestar or Atik cameras.

-Hiten

Sorry Hilten but you said that I was being bias?? As I was reading your above post to another newbie, I was waiting for you to mention Mallincam video cameras which you have said "I own and have used Mallincams as well as Lodestars and Ultrastars, and I can tell you in terms of quality they are on par". After you mention this "Separately, have you also considered the Starlight Xpress Lodestar cameras?", you go and say this "Another suggestion is video cameras. Although they have lower resolution,". This is what I do not understand because are not the Lodestar and Mallincam using the same size resolution CCD sensors? Also I have watched Dwight and others on NSN using their Xtreme X2's, Xterminators and Jr. Pro  along with Miloslick and the stacking seems very seamless plus from what I understand you do not even have to save the images to your hard drive in order to stack on the fly.

Sorry do not get me wrong I am not trying to start any flame wars but this is either very misleading or misunderstanding to me as a newbie and seams very bias towards Starlightxpress.

#106 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

Hello,

This is my first post.

Roland

Roland,

-Hiten

Hello Hiten,

Thanks a lot replying my questions. I think that going to a mono camera will be the right way to go for me, considering my present equipment.

The most reference books I have are from Stephan James O'Meara which presents all black & white pictures. Those will be excellent reference material during my observations. Colour images are nice to see, but one can take a look in plenty of other books, internet, ...

I will consider your suggesting for a Nexstar Evolution mount as my next investment.

Thanks again you where really very helpful.

Roland

#107 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

Hi Roland

I have seen some good results from the Atik cameras but I think spending over $1000 on a camera to use on your $300 SE mount is not going to be a good idea. Instead you may want to consider lookin at the $200-300 complete kits from OC telescope, AVS or mallincam for their lower resolution but easier to use video cameras. Then if you like what you have you can always upgrade your mount and move up to a better camera later

Al

Edited by A. Viegas, 19 January 2016 - 09:30 PM.

• roelb likes this

#108 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

I have looked at the Starlight Express Lodestar C and X2 cameras .

I understand that they both use the Starlight Live (earlier: Lodestar Live) software.

Does this software take in account field rotation (as the Infinity software does)?

Or is this less important due to the shorter exposure times?

Thanks in advance.

Roland

#109 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

Hello,

I have looked at the Starlight Express Lodestar C and X2 cameras .

I understand that they both use the Starlight Live (earlier: Lodestar Live) software.

Does this software take in account field rotation (as the Infinity software does)?

Or is this less important due to the shorter exposure times?

Thanks in advance.

Roland

Roland,

Yes the Starlight Live SW will rotate, align and stack frames on the fly for live viewing similar to the Infinity. Rotation and alignment are essential for stacking to compensate for the tracking errors and field rotation generated by the SE mount.

The Lodestar 2 color and mono cameras are very sensitive and I have used both successfully with <15s exposures. If you are ok with mono I would highly recommend the Lodestar X2 mono which is one of the most sensitive cameras I have used. I personally don't like the colors produced by the Lodestar 2 color but many folks are ok with it.

Currently one of the key differences between the Starlight Live SW and Atik infinity is that with the Atik Infinity you don't need to take any dark frames (to eliminate hot pixels). This offers quite a bit of flexibility in changing exposure times. Again this is not a huge issue as darks need to be taken only once or twice a session as long as you don't change the sub exposure time. Paul the developer behind Starlight Live is working on eliminating the need to take darks.

On the other hand Starlight live offers more flexibility. With the Lodestar X2 mono, Starlight Live and the appropriate filters you can do color or narrow band imaging/viewing if your future interests take you there.

Hiten 

Edited by Astrojedi, 20 January 2016 - 09:54 PM.

• roelb likes this

#110 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hello Hiten,

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice. I will do further researching before deciding my first EAA-investment.

I will then probably come back with some other questions.

Greetings from Belgium.

Roland

#111 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

Hello,

Is the Celestron Starsense helpfull to improve initial object focusing for using eg the ATIK Infinity?

Or can the alignment be smoothly done with the Infinity software and using the standard HC (without using a Bathinov focusing mask).

Of coarse taking into account my equipment: Celestron Nexstar 6SE (2 years old in good condition).

Thanks in advice for the advice.

Roel

#112 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Warsaw Poland EU

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:25 AM

Wait, please not mix focusing sky objects with aligning the whole scope to the sky.
Starsense is not connected to the optical path of telescope. Its like a external finder only.

Additionaly:
Starsense have not any external signal output. Here is only connector for cable going to the Starsense dedicated HC. Never heard about use SS camera for guiding or any kind of imaging.
I own one, maybe I missed something?
In theory it is possible, but how to take the camera output in usefully format?

About camera I cannot say which sensor it using, but found somewhere this:
The camera uses a high sensitivity, low noise 1.2 megapixel CMOS sensor with 3.75 micron square pixels. It images through a fully multicoated 20mm f/2 doublet objective lens.
  • roelb likes this

#113 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

Wait, please not mix focusing sky objects with aligning the whole scope to the sky.
Starsense is not connected to the optical path of telescope. Its like a external finder only.

Additionaly:
Starsense have not any external signal output. Here is only connector for cable going to the Starsense dedicated HC. Never heard about use SS camera for guiding or any kind of imaging.
I own one, maybe I missed something?
In theory it is possible, but how to take the camera output in usefully format?

About camera I cannot say which sensor it using, but found somewhere this:
The camera uses a high sensitivity, low noise 1.2 megapixel CMOS sensor with 3.75 micron square pixels. It images through a fully multicoated 20mm f/2 doublet objective lens.

Hello,

Yes I have mixed "aligning" and "focusing" notions. Sorry for my confusing question. I'm living in Antwerp (Belgium) and my domestic language is Dutch).

I'm aware that Starsense isn't a guider camera.

I try to rephrase my question:

After initial star alignment (finder mode) and focusing (smallest FWHM) with the aid of the Infinity software,

should the use of Starsense be an advantage when slewing the telescope to the desired object?

With the Starsense one can fine-tune the pointing accuracy in the area of the sky where the desired object will be.

When that has been done, slewing to the desired object should place it near center of the image display.

Repeat fine-tuning for next object.

This question was to evaluate, if the investment in a Starsense would improve the tracking accuracy of my Celestron Nexstar 6SE (spur gears).

As such avoiding to purchase a Nexstar Evolution mount (worm gears).

Another consideration was, for a budget of 1,000 €, I can buy:

a) an ATIK Infinity mono

b) a Starlight Xpress LODESTAR X2 mono (about 625 €)  +  a STARSENSE (about 370 €)

Note: I can buy a Celestron Nexstar Evolution mount for about 990 €).

In short: "Does it make sense to buy me a Starsense"?

I hope that I have clarified my question and thanks in advance helping me to plunge into EAA.

Roland

#114 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

The star sense will just help with the alignment of the mount.

It works very well on a 6se,iv used mine many times....B4 I got my evolution mount..

It just makes the task of alignment so very easy..and repeatable..

with the 6se you must allways approach and object and then finish with the up the right buttons...(TO REMOVE Slack)

from the gear chain. The star sense will do this all the time...There is a plate solve being done to insure the the mount

knows where it is during the alignment..

But once the alignment ...is complete.. you can cover the star sense with its scope cap.Its not used anymore...

until another auto align is needed...Its a way to do easy alignments of the mount only.

The 6se wiil have the objects in the ccd fov,,,but tracking is the same with or without the star sense.

It just makes things simple for setup.

It also works Very well on evolution mount.

Star Sense is a convenience tool that replaces the finder on a mount. 

It has nothing to do with the type of video camera used.or tracking issues.

But for me it makes the setup more fun to use......"plop and Go"

Bob

• roelb likes this

#115 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

Roel,

Starsense has no impact on tracking accuracy but it will definitely improve goto accuracy.

Both the Atik Infinity mono and Lodestar X2 will perform well on the Nexstar mount with <15s sub exposures. But I would recommend you start with the X2.

Hiten

• roelb likes this

#116 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Bob and Hiten,

I now understand that Starsense isn't improving tracking.

I also use the "2 star alignment" with good results.

Also approaching the object and finish with the up the right buttons. Works well.

Also the "Precision GOTO" is my favorite, but mostly the object is a little bit out of focus.

I suppose that my backlash correction settings are not optimal.

So, I'm considering now to purchase the Evolution mount and the Lodestar X2 mono.

For about 600 € more I think EAA will be more satisfying to me.

Thanks again for all valued info!

Roland

#117 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:56 AM

Thanks Bob and Hiten,

Also approaching the object and finish with the up the right buttons. Works well.

Also the "Precision GOTO" is my favorite, but mostly the object is a little bit out of focus.

So, I'm considering now to purchase the Evolution mount and the Lodestar X2 mono.

Roland

Hi Roland,

Before you invest in an Evolution, you might want to try the Lodestar with your 6se.  I just bought one and the tracking looked pretty good when using it for the first time.  The limitation is field rotation that varies depending on the location of the target.  Lower in the sky is better and your latitude of about 50 degrees is better than mine at 20.  Here's a link to a good article on field rotation that gives charts for maximum exposure based on target coordinates.  You may also want to consider getting a Hyperstar that will give you a very fast focal ratio of F1.9, allowing for shorter exposures.  The 6se is Fastar/HS compatible.  The 290mm focal length will give a wider FOV that will be affected less by tracking error.

http://daltonskygaze...field-rotation/

• JonNPR and roelb like this

#118 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

I agree to try the 6se with a camera,,,But will say tracking will be much better with the evolution mount.

Also the evolution mount has more "arm,scope" clearance so the camera can swing at zenith..

Also the Infinity has MUCH more clearance...at zenith on a Alt/Az mount.... 

In my case using reducers at the ep end of the mount,,,ONLY the infinity could clear the zienth point!

Also the infinity has 4x resolution over the x2,but at less sensitivity...

Use of a diag. at the ep end will increase your focal length....and its best not to use one on the camera

to get the best focal reduction...So length of camera package is important.

Look back at post 71 at the pic..

Edited by mega256, 25 January 2016 - 09:05 AM.

• roelb likes this

#119 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Bob and Hiten,

Roland

Roland,

I think you are making a good choice. In my view that is one of the best combinations of mount and camera for EAA (although a 1000 euros for just the mount seems expensive. If a Evolution 6 is not much more I would buy that full scope and then sell your Nexstar 6SE to offset the cost)

Hiten

Edited by Astrojedi, 25 January 2016 - 11:13 AM.

• roelb likes this

#120 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

Hi,

Has anyone used an iOptron CubePro for EAA?

Is the tripod not to weak for the required stability (when a 6SE tube is mounted)?

Thanks.

#121 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

Hi,

Is the tripod not to weak for the required stability (when a 6SE tube is mounted)?

Thanks.

Forgotten to mention: I do have also a 5SE orange tube together with the tripod with integrated wedge.

The goto mount itself was defect.

The 6SE goto mount can also be mounted on this tripod.

So, potentially I can use the Infinity in a EQ setup:

- tripod 5SE with wedge

+ mount from 6SE

+ 5" or 6" SE tube

I do my observations usually on the the same spot, so I can leave the wedge in fixed position.

Perhaps the Starsense can help polar aligning?

Will this setup more suitable to use the Infinity instead of the Lodestar X2?

Of coarse the tracking accuracy remains an issue, but perhaps less than the ALT/AZ setup because only one axis must be tracked?

Thanks helping me further in my survey.

#122 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Roel,

I have a Cube Pro that I use when I'm traveling as it is super compact.  I have not used it with a scope with a focal length as long as a 6" SCT though.  I've only used it with a 98mm and 66mm refractor, each with 618mm and 388mm focal length respectively.  30 to 60sec exposures were achievable before significant star trailing was visible.

The tripod that comes with the Cube Pro is indeed far too flimsy.  It only has 1" diameter metal tubes.  I found it too springy even for visual use.  I very quickly moved my Cube Pro to a used tripod for a Meade LS6/LS8 that I bought off Ebay.

Regards,

Jim T.

• roelb likes this

#123 Foolio949

Foolio949

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

I've been following this thread for a bit, and decided to go on and pull the trigger. I got mine today and planned on sharing the results, but I got a lemon! Oh well, I'll let you know how it goes when the RMA goes through. BTW, Atik's demo reels were all done on a 6SE, so you might wanna check that out if you haven't: https://www.youtube....h?v=JheW2PHKwcY

• roelb likes this

#124 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

Thanks Bob and Hiten,

Roland

Hi Roland,

Before you invest in an Evolution, you might want to try the Lodestar with your 6se.  I just bought one and the tracking looked pretty good when using it for the first time.  The limitation is field rotation that varies depending on the location of the target.  Lower in the sky is better and your latitude of about 50 degrees is better than mine at 20.  Here's a link to a good article on field rotation that gives charts for maximum exposure based on target coordinates.  You may also want to consider getting a Hyperstar that will give you a very fast focal ratio of F1.9, allowing for shorter exposures.  The 6se is Fastar/HS compatible.  The 290mm focal length will give a wider FOV that will be affected less by tracking error.

http://daltonskygaze...field-rotation/

Hello Don,

Thanks replying.

Concerning the Hyperstar: is assembling/disassembling really a 'a piece of cake' as advertised on the Starizona website?

May, eventually the Hyperstar stay mounted on the 6SE tube while transporting, or is that not recommended?

If yes, I put the combination: Hyperstar + 6SE (2 years old) + Lodestar X2 mono on my evaluation list (which is in the mean time quite long... :) ).

At the end I have to take the right decision, taken into account investment constraints, to start with EAA.

My main objective is to extend my visual observations, starting with a reasonably capital investment.

Regards.

roland

#125 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Hi Roel,

It really is a piece of cake on the 6se.  The HS lens is small enough to hold in one hand.  I think I can do the install in less than two minutes.  Make sure you get the right camera adapter.  Dean should have one for the Lodestar.  The adapter also has 1.25" filter threads on the inside.  One tip to make the install easier is to put a piece of folded electrical tape on the front of the secondary to have something to pull on it when removing it.  Otherwise it cocks as you try to take it out with your fingernail and is frustrating to get out.

I would not leave the Hyperstar lens installed when transporting.  It sticks out past the front of the scope tube.  It is an invitation for serious damage and you can't use the standard scope cover.  The HS comes with a nice protective case, too.

I think you're in for a lot of fun with that setup.  Let us know how it works out.

Don

• roelb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics