•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oregon Star Party 2016

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

Have checklist in hand and am checking everything out to make sure it works. Can't wait to get there. Will be coming in early, probably on the Saturday before.

#27 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

Looks so far like the weather will be cooperating this year. I always try to come a few days early. Hope no fires start this week or next. I am bringing everything including the kitchen sink this year.

#28 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

I need a checklist. We forget the dumbest things.

#29 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

I'd be lost without a checklist.

I have a few different ones, depending on what I'm doing.  OSP has the longest one because I spend more time there than any other star party, and tend to take more equipment.

This year it's complicated by the fact that I've had to make some changes to my diet for medical reasons.  I've planned all of my meals for the entire stay and spent all day yesterday in the kitchen preparing and packaging meals for the trip.

I'm about halfway done packing the motorhome and will finish up by tomorrow evening and will then head out to be up on site before the weekend.

The good news is that once I get set up on site, I'll have about 10 days to just relax and enjoy being up there.

-Wade

#30 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:10 AM

Well, I've run into a snag that could potentially be a major deal.

The refrigerator in the motorhome is not lighting on propane.  Without that, I will lose nearly two weeks of meals and be pretty much dead in the water.

It works on A/C, but when I switch to propane, I don't hear the igniter and it doesn't light.  This could be fairly simple or it could require a replacement board (or worse) for the refrigerator.  I'm not an RV refrigeration tech, so I need to get someone to look at it.  It is nearly impossible to get someone to look at an RV on short notice in this area (the place where I normally get the motorhome serviced runs about 6 weeks out this time of year), so I'll have to start calling first thing in the morning to see if I can convince someone to take a look.

I just had everything serviced, including the refrigerator in the spring, so the motorhome would be ready.  So much for planning ahead...

-Wade

#31 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

Ok then.

Six hours of running around, 120 miles covered, two different RV service places, and a couple of hundred dollars later...

The refrigerator is fixed.  It turned out to be a bad controller board, and it has been replaced with a better-than-new board and is working great.

Now I can reload the refrigerator, finish up with the last minute packing, and get on the road.

Here's looking to some clear, dark, smoke free skies for the next week and a half!

-Wade

• Jack Day, astronomania and audioaficionado like this

#32 Jack Day

Jack Day

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wenatchee, WA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

Hope you guys have great year down there!  We are all due some clear smokeless skies up here in the PNW!

Glad you got your fridge fixed!  Have fun & Clear Skies!

Edited by Jack Day, 27 July 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#33 prostcj

prostcj

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:26 PM

Anybody get word yet on the generator policy this year?  Nothing on the site except they won't know until a week prior.

Edited by prostcj, 27 July 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#34 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

The weather looks like it's going to be wonderful this year at OSP

https://www.wundergr...w:97750.1.99999

#35 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Putting the final touches on the packing. Can't wait to get going. Will be getting there Saturday afternoon.

#36 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

I'll pack the night before and head up early Tuesday morning. I'll pick up some more sand bags and make more cleat disks as tent stakes are useless up there. Next year (if I can get in) I'll take an extra weekend off so I can spend more time up there.

Edited by audioaficionado, 29 July 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#37 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Mariner 2

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:33 PM

Leaving for OSP tomorrow on a flight from DCA to RDM. I feel like a pack mule with all the stuff, but am looking forward to some hot photons on some clear cool OSP nights. 

#38 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

I've decided not to go this year. Pity as I've prepaid and the registration is going to waste. Worked Sunday all night and couldn't get any sleep Monday due to family obligations. It's an awful lot of work tent camping on rock in this windy area. Too pooped to care right now.

#39 ctcables

ctcables

Messenger

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Another one in the books, received level 0 and 1 but did not finish 2, maybe next year. Had a great time and have posted many photos at this link. For now this is one of the moon that turned out ok.  Needed to lower the ISO some. https://www.facebook...&type=3  I also posted this info in OSP2017

Attached Thumbnails

• workstation2016.jpg
  • Moonosp2.jpg

#40 KidOrion

KidOrion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

Had a great time.  Friday was clouded out for the most part, but we had a great lightning storm to watch (from a distance).  The weather was otherwise pretty nice--not too hot and, after the first night, not too cold.

I had planned to do the levels 2 and 3 lists, and started work on them, but I was having more fun looking for other things and gave up on the programs.  It didn't help that I ended up chipping off part of the formica on one of my altitude bearings and couldn't take the scope below the altitude of, say, Saturn.

I corralled a number of flat galaxies from the UGC catalogue, several Palomar globulars (unfortunately almost all ones I'd seen before, as 5 eluded me every chance I went for it--I did finally catch 11, though), some great galaxy groups (NGC 80 group, NGC 200 group, Abell 347, Zwicky's Triplet, several trios in Lacerta, and some really great views of the Pegasus I cluster), Uranus, Neptune, IC 1613, the Wolf-Lundmark-Melotte galaxy (before I broke the scope)... I'm forgetting a lot.

Next time I take a tent.  I slept in the back of my minivan, which eventually got uncomfortable.  Although by not taking a tent, I didn't have to worry about the giant dust devil that tore through on Thursday (Wednesday?) and knocked over a few scopes and shredded some tents and canopies.

Oh, and I won a door prize!  A giant coffee table book for which I had to show proof of ownership of a large coffee table ;) (Giles Sparrow's Cosmos: A Field Guide).

I would go next year for sure, but I'll be in Carbondale IL visiting friends and helping out with that eclipse thing everyone's talking about.

Edited by KidOrion, 08 August 2016 - 07:28 PM.

• ctcables and Redbetter like this

#41 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

image.jpeg Had a great time with my brother.

• ctcables, txmnjim and brucesdad13 like this

#42 Mr. AH

Mr. AH

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:00 PM

Now that everything we took to this year's Oregon Star Party has been washed, dusted off, and packed away, the OSP committee has a few lost items. If you believe one of these items is yours, please go to the Contact Us page at our website:

1) Collapsible tent poles

2) Pink Carhartt hat

3) Single blue earing

4) Starlite red light with strap

5) Winchester pocket knife

6) Red strap cover

7) Fila sport pants, black with blue stripe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics