•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie Seeking Discussion on Nikon Telescopes

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

Greetings to the Forum, I just joined today so this is one of my first posts so bare with me if I break any protocols or have posted in the wrong section. ( I wasnt sure whether to post here or the Refractor Forum)

I am the owner of a Nikon ED65 Telescope which I bought new in the early 90's. Im ashamed to say that its only been out and used 3 times in that time and still resides in the three boxes it came in today.

I recently found the forum and was looking for others that may also own one of the Nikon scopes and start a discussion as information and details seem to very thin on the ground. I fortunately still have all the sales and instructional material so as well as learning new things about these Refractors I may be able to fill in the gaps for others as well.

In the Mid 80s to Early 90's Nikon offered a range of three Astronomical Refractors. The S65, ED65 and ED100. The two 6.5cm models shared the same and well over engineered equatorial mount and wooden tripod. The ED100 was their flagship and came on a metal pillared stand. Nikon produced a range accessories, drives and eyepieces for the scopes. They only came with couple of eyepieces but I purchased others to give me a near complete set. 5mm, 7mm, 9mm, 12.5mm, 18mm and 25mm all of course the now disregarded 0.965 size. Nikon also offered a 40mm eyepiece but I decided not to purchase it at the time (much to my regret now) as it was not the same tube diameter as the other eyepieces and couldnt be used in standard diagonal and had to be used straight into the telescope tube. It was also twice the price of the other eyepieces. I also purchased the Nikon drive for mine, I remember it taking 7 months to arrive from Japan as it had to be modified to work in the southern hemisphere and was apparently the only time someone in the southern Hemisphere had ordered one. I was very fortunate in that I was working for a photographic company at the time and had a great relationship with the Nikon agents and purchased the Telescope at a run out sale they were having. They then graciously sought out the other eyepieces and accessories from Japan. My understanding was that they had been made in the 80s and simply never sold due to expense and Nikon decided to clear out the range. Given that my Telescope is number 81 and sold at the last discontinued runout, im guessing that all in that there was probably only about 100 S65/ED65 made combined. Before purchase they loaned me the S65 model to try and I felt that the ED model was worth the extra few hundred dollars for the slightly better optics although the mount and everything else was identical. I remember though the ED100 was several thousand dollars in the early 90s and that was its severely discounted price and basically they only had one for sale although they mentioned someone had purchased one previously making two in the Australian market..

I thought maybe there are other owners out there that may like to add something to this discussion so I may learn new things about these great but near unknown scopes. Of course Nikon has made refractors since the 50s so those owners of the even older models please feel free to contribute about what you have and your thoughts about them. Would love to hear from  you.

Joel from Australia

• davidmcgo, Littlegreenman, Derek Wong and 2 others like this

#2 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Thank you for the most interesting report Joel and welcome to the Classics forum. There are several owners here of the older Nippon-Kogaku (Nikon) refractors from the 1950s, tho sadly one of our members who had atleast two of them chose to leave the group several months ago. There has also been atleast one mention of a newer Nikon of presumably the same vintage as yours within the past month.

We would love to see pictures by the way.

Welcome. :flowerred:
  • Nikon ED65 likes this

#3 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

• Loc: Glendale, CA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

Dear Joel:

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.  You may not get many replies about your particular scope, but that is not because people are uninterested.  These scopes are on the border of classics and modern, and as you noted were quite expensive when new.  There was one person (Roger Re) who imported them in the 1980s and 90s and that is why there are several Nikon 100EDs in the US.  There are very few 65EDs and 80/1200s, some of which were obtained directly from Japan.  It is too bad that more of these Nikons (and Pentaxes) did not make it to other countries.

I would love to do a telescope wiki at some point to encompass many of the scopes we mention here.  I am too busy with work, but if I ever get to it I will ask you for 65ED photos and thoughts.  You should post some pictures of the motor drives on the mount because they are quite rare.

Here are some notes that I have on Nikon scopes of that era:

Nikon 65ED (notes copied from my previous post)
This scope is a killer (for its aperture).  To me, it is better than the 60mm f/8 fluorite doublets in color correction.  Stars are super small crisp points and double stars were tremendous.  The scope goes over 200x easily and it was measured at Strehl 0.99 in green light.  The mount is really smooth--like an older Zeiss, but lighter yet still solid.  I have only seen 2-3 of these scopes sold in the US over many years.  FYI I will never sell this scope if I can still observe.

Nikon ED 80 f/6
This is an astrograph similar to the Pentax EDUF and SDUF – a Petzvel-like design with an ED doublet in front and a flattener in the rear.  I haven’t seen anyone that has one in the US but a couple have come up in Japan recently.

http://nikonfan.coco...11/30/80mma.jpg

Nikon 80/1200 achromat
This is a classic achromat that is shown here:

http://www.cloudynig...15-has-arrived/

There have been a couple of rumors suggesting that the lens is ED but it is hard to say if that is true.

Nikon 100ED
I had one of these beautiful scopes and it had an amazing build, wonderful color correction, and a great figure.  It was just edged by a Takahashi FC-100N, so I sold it but I regret it now.  Markus Ludes said that many of these scopes were outstanding but a few were of more average quality.  Here is a review that parallels my experiences:

http://www.dark-star...kon-100-ed-f12/

Here is the best Nikon enthusiast  :)

http://www.cloudynig...l= nikon italy

Here is a Japanese Wiki of Nikon scopes:

https://ja.wikipedia...i/ニコンの天体望遠鏡製品一覧

If you use the Cloudy Nights forum search function you can get all sorts of great information.  Here are a couple of interesting threads:

http://www.cloudynig...ek#entry5975312

http://www.cloudynig...um#entry6336549

You will get a lot more information about the older scopes by searching this forum for Nippon Kogaku.  You can also Google Clint Whitman, who has some nice examples of these scopes and is a great guy.

Derek

Edited by Derek Wong, 29 December 2015 - 08:03 PM.

• combatdad, Nikon ED65 and Ben Bajorek like this

#4 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the replies so far and kind welcomes.

Derek, Thanks for that information. Reaching out for new information through the forum has already paid off as I have found out things I didnt know before. The one that stands out most was the existence of the ED80. I had never heard or seen this model before. One would certainly mount perfectly on top of the ED65 with the threaded screw all ready provided! In the sales literature I have the ED80 isnt mentioned nor is it in the instruction manual that combines the two 6.5cm models and the ED100.

Out of curiosity I notice you refer to the ED65 and ED100 as the 65ED and 100ED but the 80mm scope as the ED80. Is there a reason for the difference possibly?

I took a look at the Dark Star site that you provided a link too. Some of the production numbers he mentions dont quite fit with what I was told at the time. I remember the conversation with the Nikon Agents about these telescopes and in the case of the ED100 they mentioned a production number of around 40. They didnt stock the scopes until Nikon heavily discounted them in the early 90s and prior that time they sold only one ED100. At the end run out they ordered one further ED100 and ordered five ED65s and five S65s making it 12 Telescopes sold in Australia in total. It may be possible that they were referring to 40 Southern Hemisphere models but if only two were sold in Australia what other Southern Hemisphere countries bought the other 38 at the high list price that they were? Even conceeding that a total production of 600 seems way over the top given how few I have seen for sale over the years. The reference cited is an Astronomy Magazine once read, which cant be taken as gospel. He notes a figure of 200 S65s because of a deck chair promotion I found that quite informative, 200 would seem a logical quantity for this model. I know that the scopes basically sat on the shelves unsold for a few years before they decided to get out of the telescope market as a result. I remember what may seem like a strange thing at the time as I was into everything Nikon back then, was that the warranty certificate details of the product were printed on the S65 I was loaned but on the ED65 that I bought had been completely hand written. Nikon Hand Written warranty cards were only issued with very low production items and items assembled to order. (ie some rare exotic lenses they kept parts on hand to assemble when a customer ordered). I estimated that based on mine being one of the last sold which was No 81 that 100 seems a reasonable prodution run. I surmised that may be a figure of S65/ED65s combined but the Dark Star reference to 200 based on that promotion twigged that memory of the warranty cards. If they were combined then why was the ED card hand written and the S65 not. So it seems logical that the cheapest model would have a higher productionn run and 200 seems viable. Strangely though I have only heard from ED65 owners never from an S65 owners yet their should be more of if the Dark Star reference is correct. Given they look near identical Im wondering if most people think think there is only one model? If we agree that approx 300 6.5cm models were made combined it seems illogical that the most expensive model the ED100 sold twice as many as the cheaper consumer models so Im steadfast at discounting the 600 figure.

In refernce to there being variability in the ED100 quality of optics, I simply dont believe that for a second. Nikon had near fanatical quality control and only a rare few of their best staff were allowed to assemble their ED lenses. Their consistancy with their cheaper lenses was impeccible then let alone a high end instrument such as this. Any variability that may exist has to be a time and use factor. There were so few to be found anywhere to test them side by side that I think people may be judging them after decades of use and comparing it with another they tried closer to when it was new.

I predicted people may ask for photos LOL Im going have to drag this thing down from ontop of the wardrobe I suspect? LOL

Ive got a few of their quirky accessories as well as the motor drive. Their sun projection kit that has a beast of a pole that slots into a hole in the finderscope mount. Also have the moon filter they made. You have to remove the rubber glasses protector from the eyepiece and it reveals a thread that you screw the moon filter over the end you view from. Ive got their camera adapter as well which is a complex arrangement of tubes where you can use it with an eyepiece to alter the magnification or without any eyepiece making it efectively a 720mm lens

How long have you had yours? What accessories were you able to acquire with it? Would love to hear from other users if there are any out there. For a telescope that has hardly been used I have the urge to get an ED80 now to mount them together! I wonder how rare those scopes are? Im scared to ask what prices they fetched the ones that you saw? (The trouble with forums such as this is that they inspire you to buy more stuff you hadnt planned on before!)

It has proven very fruitful to start this thread to learn about another model and help me reassess my guestimates on production numbers. Many thanks

#5 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi Joel:

I will try to take some photos this weekend.

The name ED80 came from the photo but I don't know what the official names of these scopes are.

I can tell you that in Japan there are many more 100mm Nikons than 65mm ones.  In fact, some Japanese astronomers have never seen the 65.  While both scopes were expensive, people who bought one of these scopes would probably be able to afford the 100.  I am attaching a piece of an ad from a Japanese magazine.  There were four planetary refractors that were in competition - the Vixen 102 fluorite f/9, Pentax 105 f/9.5, the Nikon 100mm f/12, and the Takahashi FC-100N f/10.  The Vixen sold many copies and the Tak sold a lot of f/8 and at least 100 f/10s.  I am sure that ads like this drove people to buy the 100.  I am sure that the number of this scope is well over 40, probably 10 times that.  I don't know about the ED80, but the ones I have seen sold for over $3000 for OTA only

Japanese 4 inch refractor ad.jpg

I got the variability part from Markus Ludes, who sells more high end scopes than anyone these days and has access to plenty of interferometers.  The Nikons could have been fine coming out of the factory but the lens spacing could have changed, etc.  The same thing happened to a few Zeiss objectives.  I am posting a couple of results from my Nikon done by Mr. Wolfgang Rohr, a well known telescope tester.  Basically, this is a darn good lens :-)  In the first photo is shows before and after lens adjustment, lending credence to the theory that some lenses needed adjustment.  Some of the 100s have super high results as well.

Nikon Test #1.jpg

Nikon Test #3.jpg

Nikon Test #4.jpg

There are people who love to admire scopes, but I like to use them.  The Nikon has such a great mount and great optics that it would be a shame to leave it in a closet.

Derek

• combatdad likes this

#6 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for that Info Derek thats terrific.

I definitely remember the 40 figure quoted to me as I naturally then asked how many of the 6.5cm were made then since that was the model I was purchasing but they said they didnt know. The ED100 just wasnt a bit more expensive it was like way above what most people could afford. I remember thinking you could get a ten inch Meade with all the bells and whistles for less money at its original price. Perhaps the Japanese prices were more realistic possibly as the taxes on Telescopes and Photographic items in Australia was 30% before a widespread goods and services tax was introduced here. I note from reading some of the links and info you have provided that the ED100 (or as it seems to be referred to then the 10cm ED) was available for several years prior to the release of the the 6.5 cm models. 600 just seemed implausible to me as I have seen rare camera lenses where I know only a few dozen were made appear more regular than these scopes. Owners must just cling to them like glue! You however have been monitoring them far more than I so you are certainly to have a better idea than myself. The 40 figure I was given could plausibly be Southern Hemisphere mounts I guess. After some thought it may even be possible that Im familiar with what was a re-release with few alterations or even re-branding of the 10cm scope at the time to compliment the ED65 release. This later incarnation may well have been when the ED100 name came about which only seems to appear later with the release of the ED65. They seem to put them collectively  forward as a range of scopes released at the same time sharing both brochures and instruction manuals. This would fit with the conflicting release years and possibly was to use up left over components of the earlier incarnation the 10cm ED. Given that none of the information I have read online refers to the model as the ED100 I suspect that a later incarnation and model re-badge to compliment the ED65 seems to account for the differing figures and accounts. You mentioned that in Japan few have even heard of the ED65, is it possible that the range was an overseas release and accounts for the low sales numbers? The ED80 certainly wasnt an Australian released model. (I so want one btw but $3000 may be out of my league)

ED65insS1.jpg

The variation in optics is probably as I suspected that time and transport has probably taken their toll which is a shame. The overall feel of the unit and mount feels so solid it may lull people into not being as delicate with the units over the years as they transport them to remote locations. Unlike the ED100, the ED65 and S65 just came in three cardboard boxes and didnt get the luxury wooden case I see with the lager Nikon and older Unitrons. They look really classy too, I wish mine came with one.

Thanks so much again, with each post I learn something new.

#7 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

My set of Eyepieces

Eyepieces.jpg

• Daniel Mounsey, rayden68, denis0007dl and 1 other like this

#8 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:36 AM

Those are very nice eyepieces.

You can see the differences between the 1980s "orthos" and the earlier orthos by looking at this thread by Dan Schechter:

http://www.cloudynig...gaku/?p=1991152

It also shows the older Nippon Kogaku 65mm scope and mount.

Thanks to people on Cloudy Nights and other places, I have determined that these 1980s eyepieces do not have a classic ortho prescription, but an asymmetric design with two doublets.  The 5mm is actually a 5 element design.  The 7S and 25S models are identical to the regular 7 and 25 but they are single coated and were sold with the ED65.  The others were sold with the ED100 and separately.  All are quite highly regarded.  I just got a 7S and I will compare it to the regular 7 at some point.

Here is a thread on the eyepieces:

https://groups.yahoo...ons/topics/3356

Here is the design of the 5mm and others:

http://cz-telesco.bb...mage=667_18.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek Wong, 01 January 2016 - 05:10 AM.

• Nikon ED65 likes this

#9 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

Those are very nice eyepieces.

You can see the differences between the 1980s "orthos" and the earlier orthos by looking at this thread by Dan Schechter:

http://www.cloudynig...gaku/?p=1991152

It also shows the older Nippon Kogaku 65mm scope and mount.

Thanks to people on Cloudy Nights and other places, I have determined that these 1980s eyepieces do not have a classic ortho prescription, but an asymmetric design with two doublets.  The 5mm is actually a 5 element design.  The 7S and 25S models are identical to the regular 7 and 25 but they are single coated and were sold with the ED65.  The others were sold with the ED100 and separately.  All are quite highly regarded.  I just got a 7S and I will compare it to the regular 7 at some point.

Here is a thread on the eyepieces:

https://groups.yahoo...ons/topics/3356

Here is the design of the 5mm and others:

http://cz-telesco.bb...mage=667_18.jpg

Derek

Interesting info once again thanks.

Yes the unit came with two single coated eyepieces and the single coated zenith prism. I already knew the range was discontinued when I purchased my scope so I ordered what I could to be sure I had a set before things got impossibe to get. It all had to be special ordered from Japan. I did decide to get the multi-coated Zenith Prism so actually have both. At the time I had to think about whether it was worth going for multicoated eyepieces in the sizes I already had being the 25mm and 7mm. Nikon told me the K-25s and the K-25c that the only difference between the two was that the C was fully multi-coated just as you too have said. Given that I had the ED version of the scope and I also got the multi-coated Zenith and that the optics were the same I thought the benefit would be negligible so stuck with the K-25s. The information I was given about the 7mm is different to what you have mentioned however. Rather than being the same name with a 'S' or 'C' version the one supplied with the 6.5cm is the N-7s with the other being an O-7c. It was put to me that there was more to the O-7 that just the coating but have no idea what. I know what the K's and O's stand for in the other eyepieces but never new what the 'N' stood for to detemine what type of eyepiece it even was? So I did think long and hard about this lens but in the end also decided just to stick with the cheaper one supplied. I had ordered the 5mm and the 9mm multi-coated lenses so I thought I could defer to either of these if the 7mm didnt quite get there. The O-9 offers alot more eye relief that makes it a very usable high maganification eyepiece rather than jamming your eye tight like the others.

The O-18 is a really great eyepiece that stands out. I ended up doing a deal with a friend swapping and old TV for one of those tiny Jason Comet Chaser scopes. I thought It would be nice and easier to take with me sometimes than the ED65 but as I have seen written in many threads on CN that they really arent much chop. However when I slide in the Nikon 18mm it really comes alive and is perfectly usable. The eyepiece may be worth more than the whole scope but hey if you already have a great ortho in the 0.965 size people should try it in these mini scopes as they can be better performers than you first think.

What eyepieces do you have by the way? Do you have the 40mm? It should be said these fully multi-coated from Nikon are the best coatings I have ever seen on a 0.965 eyepiece. There probably are better eyepieces in the 1.25" and 2" but in the 0.965 they are as good if not better than anything else in that classic size including Zeiss.

#10 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Sun Projector ED100/65 , Still sealed in its plastic, never used.

SunProjectorS.jpg

• Derek Wong likes this

#11 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Here are my eyepieces.  You are right, the N-7S is a bit shorter than the O-7 and has a smaller eye lens.  I do not have the 40mm.  One came up but it went for at least $600 and it lasted a few minutes on one of the classified sites.  I think the better way to get wide field views is an adapter to a Baader prism.  I have one somewhere but I can't find it.  As far as 0.965" eyepieces, the Pentax orthos have great coatings as well as excellent images but I have not done a direct comparison.  Pentax made a similar 65mm long focus apo but I have never seen one.

The other accessory is a Nikon camera adapter that fits into the scope.

I also recently acquired a polar finder.  That is the extent of my accessories.

Derek

Nikon Eyepieces.jpg

Nikon 65ED Polar Scope.jpg

Nikon 65 Brochure.jpg

Edited by Derek Wong, 01 January 2016 - 08:56 PM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Live_Steam_Mad, denis0007dl and 2 others like this

#12 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:33 PM

Here is my scope.  I wish I had a motor drive, but I doubt I will ever find one.

Nikon 65ED #2.jpg

• Live_Steam_Mad, denis0007dl, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#13 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:36 AM

Here is my scope.  I wish I had a motor drive, but I doubt I will ever find one.

attachicon.gifNikon 65ED #2.jpg

Wow you have the multi-coated versons of the 7mm and 25mm and the Polar Alignment Scope as well! I have never ever seen eve a photo of the alignment scope only pictorial representations of it in the brochue. I did consider getting that but I think I was advised against it as im in the Southern Hemisphere so its of limited use, would that be correct?

You probably the only one on the planet with both versions of the 7 and 25mm eyepieces. I can finally know if I made the right decision not to get the multi-coated versions? LOL Is there that much difference?

Im surprised you didnt go for the 40mm yourself, True there are better ways but I dare say it would have made you the only enthusiast who owns a complete set! I rememver this eyeiece was over double the others in price, something like $200 in the early 90s. It was just too expensive especially as I had to buy these things sight unseen and wait for months for them to come from Japan. Had I have know I could triple my money one day then I would have jumped in for sure! You expect these sort of things to depreciate not go the other way.

I did look at the Pentax Scopes at the same time having access to both being Photographic companies but I just liked the mount and focus of the Nikon better. It just had a silkiness smoothness and class to it that I just had to own one. Have you seen the short Youtube review by a chap called Dave Trott? He mentions that it is every bit as good as the Zeiss Telementor. (Another awesome scope that I want to own one day!). High praise indeed to match that classic scope but the interesting thing is that its only the S65 model he is testing not the ED. (There is a secret way to tell that I learned only having the rare opportunity to handle both).

Interesting brochure difference!

Edited by Nikon ED65, 02 January 2016 - 02:59 AM.

#14 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:51 AM

The Motor Drive I mentioned. I also bought a spare counterweight.

ED65Drive.jpg

So have you had yours since new? How did you acquire all the extra eyepieces and alignment scope? How much did you have to pay for the N-7s you just acquired if you dont mind me asking?

Edited by Nikon ED65, 02 January 2016 - 02:57 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#15 fjs

fjs

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les États-Unis

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Hi Joel,

Welcome to the forum.

This is a great, informative thread, I wish I knew something to add to it, but thank you for starting it. I think it's interesting that the brochure still had the name "Nippon Kogaku" printed in it.

I do have an 80/1200 Nikon, but I don't know anything about it (other than it's obvious physical characteristics).

Sorry that I don't have more/better pictures. My camera is done for.

DSCF0492.jpg

'Frank

• terraclarke and Nikon ED65 like this

#16 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

Hi Joel,

Welcome to the forum.

This is a great, informative thread, I wish I knew something to add to it, but thank you for starting it. I think it's interesting that the brochure still had the name "Nippon Kogaku" printed in it.

I do have an 80/1200 Nikon, but I don't know anything about it (other than it's obvious physical characteristics).

Sorry that I don't have more/better pictures. My camera is done for.

attachicon.gifDSCF0492.jpg

'Frank

Hi Frank, thanks so much for your kind welcome. Im so glad someone with an earlier scope has posted as well as I wanted to learn more about those too as i dont know much about them. I couldnt find any place on the web that had more than a passing reference to Nikons scopes and generally in threads about other topics, so I thought maybe if I started a thread about what bits and pieces I knew and maybe others would add to it to build a more complete look at the scopes Nikon made. Its definitely working I have learned alot from Derek's input. Im hoping others like your good self with the older ones will post to build on the thread so others can refer back to it rather than be a bit lost like I was.

Great looking scope. Can you tell me how long you have had it and what eyepieces you use with it and what you have been using it for?

#17 fjs

fjs

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les États-Unis

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

Well.. Umm, Er... You see, circumstances have prevented me from getting much use from it yet. I have it set up for standard 1 1/4" eyepieces. It didn't come with a diagonal or provision to use one. I had to get an adapter made to be able to use anything, So I chose to get one for 1 1/4" accessories. Interestingly enough, the one Derek linked to (owned by SteveMM), was also missing any provision for using a diagonal. Steve had to get an adapter made too.

I've had mine for going on a year now. The person I bought it from said he acquired it from the original owner, who brought it here from Japan. He said he lost contact with the owner, which I suppose means he didn't want to tell the guy that he flipped it for a quick buck.

'Frank

• Nikon ED65 likes this

#18 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hi Joel,

I have both the older and the more recent Nippon Kogaku - Nikon 6.5 cm scopes. My recent one is not the ED version but it is superb nevertheless. I have posted videos about these scopes. You might be interested in viewing them:

https://www.youtube....h?v=y4xsZICqPNY

https://www.youtube....h?v=1tCb6pyCbVs

Dave Trott

• Perseus_m45, fjs and Nikon ED65 like this

#19 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hi Joel,

I have both the older and the more recent Nippon Kogaku - Nikon 6.5 cm scopes. My recent one is not the ED version but it is superb nevertheless. I have posted videos about these scopes. You might be interested in viewing them:

Dave Trott

Hi Dave What an incredible coincidence! I just mentioned your video of your later S65 just yesterday a couple of posts above. It was fascinating how the regular S65 model compared so favourably with the Zeiss Telementor. (A telescope I also would love to own btw)

I been watching most of your videos this week, they are so great. Thank you for taking that time and effort. I didnt actually see the video of the early 65mm Nippon Kogaku scope till you posted the link so that was terrific to see that one just now.

How did you acquire your later S65 scope? Do you have an original accessories with it? How do the optics compare in both new and old scopes?

#20 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

Wow you have the multi-coated versons of the 7mm and 25mm and the Polar Alignment Scope as well! I have never ever seen eve a photo of the alignment scope only pictorial representations of it in the brochue. I did consider getting that but I think I was advised against it as im in the Southern Hemisphere so its of limited use, would that be correct?

You probably the only one on the planet with both versions of the 7 and 25mm eyepieces. I can finally know if I made the right decision not to get the multi-coated versions? LOL Is there that much difference?

Im surprised you didnt go for the 40mm yourself, True there are better ways but I dare say it would have made you the only enthusiast who owns a complete set! I rememver this eyeiece was over double the others in price, something like $200 in the early 90s. It was just too expensive especially as I had to buy these things sight unseen and wait for months for them to come from Japan. Had I have know I could triple my money one day then I would have jumped in for sure! You expect these sort of things to depreciate not go the other way.

The polar scope is a simple one with a few markings.  I have not observed in the Southern Hemisphere but if Sigma Octans is visible I am sure you could use it.  It may be quite dim due to the aperture, though.

There are fanatic Nikon collectors in Japan and I am sure they have much more complete collections.  I just got these eyepieces and I have not looked through them.

As far as the 40mm, I usually judge something by how useful it is in observing, then price, and last collector value.  The problem is that unlike the Zeiss eyepiece, you can't use this with a diagonal without a 2" adapter, and it is unusable that way in the 65ED.  It doesn't have a particularly wide field.  That puts it low on my list, especially with the price.

Derek

#21 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:28 AM

Hi Joel,

Dave Trott

Hi Dave What an incredible coincidence! I just mentioned your video of your later S65 just yesterday a couple of posts above. It was fascinating how the regular S65 model compared so favourably with the Zeiss Telementor. (A telescope I also would love to own btw)

I been watching most of your videos this week, they are so great. Thank you for taking that time and effort. I didnt actually see the video of the early 65mm Nippon Kogaku scope till you posted the link so that was terrific to see that one just now.

How did you acquire your later S65 scope? Do you have an original accessories with it? How do the optics compare in both new and old scopes?

Glad you enjoyed the videos. More will be on the way soon.

I have the original and unique star diagonal, the K-25S and the N-7S eyepieces with the S65. I don't know if they are original but they came with the package I purchased on AM a couple of years ago. As you saw in the video, I think the scope is about equal to the Zeiss Telementor. That rather undefinable quality that I think may be due to smoothness of the optics appears to be about the same in both scopes. The mount is unbelievable. The older NK65 scope also has superb optics. One of these days I will put them next to each other and see how they compare, but I already know the differences will be very slight. The color in a 65mm at f/12 is minuscule so I do not notice it. 

- Dave

• Nikon ED65 likes this

#22 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

The polar scope is a simple one with a few markings.  I have not observed in the Southern Hemisphere but if Sigma Octans is visible I am sure you could use it.  It may be quite dim due to the aperture, though.

There are fanatic Nikon collectors in Japan and I am sure they have much more complete collections.  I just got these eyepieces and I have not looked through them.

As far as the 40mm, I usually judge something by how useful it is in observing, then price, and last collector value.  The problem is that unlike the Zeiss eyepiece, you can't use this with a diagonal without a 2" adapter, and it is unusable that way in the 65ED.  It doesn't have a particularly wide field.  That puts it low on my list, especially with the price.

Derek

You just got the set of eyepieces all in one hit? That a pretty great find. Must have cost a pretty packet though? Was the Polar scope very expensive as well? I must make more of an effort to look out for some of these unique accessories. Did you have to source the Polar Scope and Eyepieces from Japan? If you get the opportunity I would love to see the Polar Scope outside the mount.

I totally understand your decision with the 40mm. It near mirrors my reasons even back when they were new. Price was substantial and you couldnt use it with a diagonal.

When you get to check out the eyepieces I would love to hear back from you especially the 0-7 vs N-7s.

#23 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

Hi Joel,

Dave Trott

Glad you enjoyed the videos. More will be on the way soon.

I have the original and unique star diagonal, the K-25S and the N-7S eyepieces with the S65. I don't know if they are original but they came with the package I purchased on AM a couple of years ago. As you saw in the video, I think the scope is about equal to the Zeiss Telementor. That rather undefinable quality that I think may be due to smoothness of the optics appears to be about the same in both scopes. The mount is unbelievable. The older NK65 scope also has superb optics. One of these days I will put them next to each other and see how they compare, but I already know the differences will be very slight. The color in a 65mm at f/12 is minuscule so I do not notice it. 

- Dave

Yes definitely love the Videos.

The K-25s and N-7s were the two original eyepieces that came with the ED65/S65. Nikon offered a Multi-coated K25c and an 0-7 but I felt it wasnt worth doubling over with the eyepieces that came with the kit. Derek above has both so he may eventually be able to shed light on the value of the C versions.

When choose between options originally it was the mount too that won me over. It was so smooth and over engineered that I couldnt resist. Of course Nikon having a runout sale did help alot too over the Pentax models that I looked at.

I look forward to the new vs old comparison. I suspect too as you say it to be pretty close.

Many thanks again

#24 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

You just got the set of eyepieces all in one hit? That a pretty great find. Must have cost a pretty packet though? Was the Polar scope very expensive as well? I must make more of an effort to look out for some of these unique accessories. Did you have to source the Polar Scope and Eyepieces from Japan? If you get the opportunity I would love to see the Polar Scope outside the mount.

I totally understand your decision with the 40mm. It near mirrors my reasons even back when they were new. Price was substantial and you couldnt use it with a diagonal.

When you get to check out the eyepieces I would love to hear back from you especially the 0-7 vs N-7s.

I will report back about the eyepiece comparison, but with big storms coming my way it won't be for a while.  The polar scope is nothing fancy but I will try to take a photo later.

I had a set of Nikon eyepieces from my 100ED, and I added the two from the 65ED recently with the polar scope.  There are only 3 scopes with mounts that have made their way through several Astromart ads since it went electronic in 2000, in addition to a couple of OTAs that have been sold recently from Japan.  When one of the 3 came up for sale, I used the opportunity to get a couple of accessories.

I will communicate with you privately about the details.  For now, I want to hear about those other Nikon scopes...

Derek

#25 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Well.. Umm, Er... You see, circumstances have prevented me from getting much use from it yet. I have it set up for standard 1 1/4" eyepieces. It didn't come with a diagonal or provision to use one. I had to get an adapter made to be able to use anything, So I chose to get one for 1 1/4" accessories. Interestingly enough, the one Derek linked to (owned by SteveMM), was also missing any provision for using a diagonal. Steve had to get an adapter made too.

I've had mine for going on a year now. The person I bought it from said he acquired it from the original owner, who brought it here from Japan. He said he lost contact with the owner, which I suppose means he didn't want to tell the guy that he flipped it for a quick buck.

'Frank

Hi Frank:

I don't know if your Nikon has the same circular opening (~43mm) that my scope has, but if so I am going to have PreciseParts add it to their database so people will be able to buy an adapter.  It sounds like you can already observe with yours.  When you do, in addition to telling us how nice the views are, could you see if there is color in focus and out of focus on Sirius?  If there is ED glass in the scope at f/15, there should not be significant color out of focus, whereas a standard achromat (even one as well corrected as a Nikon) should have a small amount in focus and a mild amount out of focus.  That will hopefully settle the issue of whether the scope has ED glass or not.

Also, I am interested in how the mount works, specifically how stable it is.

Thanks,

Derek

• fjs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics