•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie Seeking Discussion on Nikon Telescopes

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:47 PM

Thanks, Howard.

#52 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:21 AM

I have found it hard at times when there is some really great items in Japan and they are just out of reach. Keep in mind that particular Telescope is an S65 not the ED model. Still its an exceptionally good price though if the "Buy It Now" price is as stated in a previous post. If the optics are good that's a bargain.

#53 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

Nikon also offered a 40mm eyepiece but I decided not to purchase it at the time (much to my regret now) as it was not the same tube diameter as the other eyepieces and couldnt be used in standard diagonal and had to be used straight into the telescope tube. It was also twice the price of the other eyepieces.

Does anyone know the diameter of K-40 eyepiece? I'm wondering whether I can get an adapter to use it with 2" diagonal. Thanks.

#54 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

I have never actually seen the K40 eyepiece in real life nor even a photograph of one, only it referenced in their systems diagram. I was of the understanding the K40 was a threaded eyepiece and never able to be used with the supplied diagonal as it had too wide a field. You would unscrew the straight through eyepiece holder for the .96 eyepiece and screw the K40 into the other half of the holder that then slides into the telescope tube. One of the reasons I didn't purchase this eyepiece originally was I felt it was a bit inconvenient not to be able to use it with a diagonal. However with large modern 2in diagonals that now may be possible. Once the eyepiece is screwed into the eyepiece holder the tube that slides into the telescope is 1.7in or 44mm. I would presume you just have to create an adaptor to bridge that to 2in.

If you could post some images of the eyepiece that would be terrific as it may be the only chance I ever get to see one. Thanks.

#55 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

Thanks and I’ll post some photos once it’s delivered to me.

#56 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

I found two adapters from Baader:

BAADER - T2-09 M44 TO T-2 ADAPTER

BAADER - T2-16 2" T-2 NOSEPIECE

It seems I can use them to connect M44 eyepieces (Zeiss also made M44 eyepieces) to 2” diagonal.

#57 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:30 PM

Here are some photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• D3AAD7B0-BA04-43CE-A222-A7AAF8EEB8E8.jpeg
  • 6CF15432-79E4-4350-BEE1-C1E86795E0C7.jpeg
  • 4DBFCC3D-3E1C-4D6D-90EE-E7821ACC3F6D.jpeg
  • 4DCF7D5C-CC33-4599-B60C-B9C634E3E649.jpeg
  • BD0430F2-259A-4A24-A5F9-6827DD8A70C9.jpeg

• rolo and Nikon ED65 like this

#58 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

That's a magnificent eyepiece Howard. If you ever see another for sale let me know. I remember not ordering one when new as I couldn't understand why it was so much more expensive then the other eyepieces. I can now see how substantial it is.

#59 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

Sure. Im also making a 2” adapter to screw directly to the eyepiece (need to unscrew the eyepiece barrel extension first).
  • Nikon ED65 likes this

#60 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

Has anyone noticed Nikon changed coating of ortho eyepieces? Here are two of my 12.5mm ortho and one is wine purple color while the other one is golden. Both are from the later version sold with Nikon 10cm ED.

Edited by Howard Gao, 23 March 2019 - 10:34 PM.

#61 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

Photos 

Attached Thumbnails

• 294EA1D4-B002-4F86-B43B-038FFAC3EA21.jpeg
  • 877DB4D3-967C-4009-BBAC-EAA1667E07C2.jpeg

• rolo and Bomber Bob like this

#62 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:58 AM

Has anyone noticed Nikon changed coating of ortho eyepieces? Here are two of my 12.5mm ortho and one is wine purple color while the other one is golden. Both are from the later version sold with Nikon 10cm ED.

Nikon did change the coating of its eyepieces through time. The purple version was their earlier ortho coating that they simply transferred when they upgraded to a rubber eyecup design from the previous all metal orthos of the earlier scopes that predate the introduction of their ED refractors. While they are fully coated they arent fully multi-coated but still better than the later S eyepieces which only have glass to air surfaces coated. The golden coating was their first evolution to full multi coating. When I purchase my 0-9mm the whole refractor range has been discontinued and were just selling remaining stocks but there were no production 0-9s left so a message came from Japan that said they had a pre production sample if I wanted it. Naturally I did for my set and it has that golden coating like yours. Its the only one of my eyepieces that has that coating. My 12.5mm is another coating version again and differs from both of yours and was the last incarnation of their multi-coatings similar to that seen on your 40mm with more green and other colours.

Its hard to capture the golden coating as well as you did on the smaller 9mm under artificial light but you can at least see the obvious difference to the 12.5mm on the left.

EyePiece.jpg

Given that even the most primitive of their later S lenses are still outstanding I doubt anyone could distinguish between the three Ortho coating types of the same focal length under normal view conditions.

• astro140, Howard Gao and Bomber Bob like this

#63 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

Nikon did change the coating of its eyepieces through time. The purple version was their earlier ortho coating that they simply transferred when they upgraded to a rubber eyecup design from the previous all metal orthos of the earlier scopes that predate the introduction of their ED refractors. While they are fully coated they arent fully multi-coated but still better than the later S eyepieces which only have glass to air surfaces coated. The golden coating was their first evolution to full multi coating. When I purchase my 0-9mm the whole refractor range has been discontinued and were just selling remaining stocks but there were no production 0-9s left so a message came from Japan that said they had a pre production sample if I wanted it. Naturally I did for my set and it has that golden coating like yours. Its the only one of my eyepieces that has that coating. My 12.5mm is another coating version again and differs from both of yours and was the last incarnation of their multi-coatings similar to that seen on your 40mm with more green and other colours.

Its hard to capture the golden coating as well as you did on the smaller 9mm under artificial light but you can at least see the obvious difference to the 12.5mm on the left.

attachicon.gif EyePiece.jpg

Given that even the most primitive of their later S lenses are still outstanding I doubt anyone could distinguish between the three Ortho coating types of the same focal length under normal view conditions.

Thanks for the sharing. I also have a few eyepieces with the different coating you mentioned. Till now I haven't seen any difference. They are all excellent, even comnpared with my ZAO or other best ortho eyepieces.

• Nikon ED65 likes this

#64 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

There's a Nikon 8cm ED for sale on Yahoo auctions now but I think the price is too high even for collectors.

https://page.auction...tion/n346023432

#65 wekim

wekim

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seoul, South Korea

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:02 AM

Greetings to the Forum, I just joined today so this is one of my first posts so bare with me if I break any protocols or have posted in the wrong section. ( I wasnt sure whether to post here or the Refractor Forum)

I am the owner of a Nikon ED65 Telescope which I bought new in the early 90's. Im ashamed to say that its only been out and used 3 times in that time and still resides in the three boxes it came in today.

I recently found the forum and was looking for others that may also own one of the Nikon scopes and start a discussion as information and details seem to very thin on the ground. I fortunately still have all the sales and instructional material so as well as learning new things about these Refractors I may be able to fill in the gaps for others as well.

In the Mid 80s to Early 90's Nikon offered a range of three Astronomical Refractors. The S65, ED65 and ED100. The two 6.5cm models shared the same and well over engineered equatorial mount and wooden tripod. The ED100 was their flagship and came on a metal pillared stand. Nikon produced a range accessories, drives and eyepieces for the scopes. They only came with couple of eyepieces but I purchased others to give me a near complete set. 5mm, 7mm, 9mm, 12.5mm, 18mm and 25mm all of course the now disregarded 0.965 size. Nikon also offered a 40mm eyepiece but I decided not to purchase it at the time (much to my regret now) as it was not the same tube diameter as the other eyepieces and couldnt be used in standard diagonal and had to be used straight into the telescope tube. It was also twice the price of the other eyepieces. I also purchased the Nikon drive for mine, I remember it taking 7 months to arrive from Japan as it had to be modified to work in the southern hemisphere and was apparently the only time someone in the southern Hemisphere had ordered one. I was very fortunate in that I was working for a photographic company at the time and had a great relationship with the Nikon agents and purchased the Telescope at a run out sale they were having. They then graciously sought out the other eyepieces and accessories from Japan. My understanding was that they had been made in the 80s and simply never sold due to expense and Nikon decided to clear out the range. Given that my Telescope is number 81 and sold at the last discontinued runout, im guessing that all in that there was probably only about 100 S65/ED65 made combined. Before purchase they loaned me the S65 model to try and I felt that the ED model was worth the extra few hundred dollars for the slightly better optics although the mount and everything else was identical. I remember though the ED100 was several thousand dollars in the early 90s and that was its severely discounted price and basically they only had one for sale although they mentioned someone had purchased one previously making two in the Australian market..

I thought maybe there are other owners out there that may like to add something to this discussion so I may learn new things about these great but near unknown scopes. Of course Nikon has made refractors since the 50s so those owners of the even older models please feel free to contribute about what you have and your thoughts about them. Would love to hear from  you.

Joel from Australia

Here come two refractors.

gallery_248506_8020_989759.jpg

gallery_248506_11685_1123670.jpg

Edited by wekim, 12 August 2019 - 04:12 AM.

• Ken Sturrock, Howard Gao, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#66 wekim

wekim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

Nikon 6.5cm refractor (both achromat and ED model) is OEM product. The very company that made "Nikon" 6.5cm refractor was "Mizar" (Hino metal industry). There is NO lens cell engraving in 6.5cm. (both achromat and ED) However when you look into the Nikon 10cm ED F12; Nikon engraved its logo on the lens cell. In case of the NIkon 8cm ED F6; Nikon engraved its logo and serial number on the lens cell. SOME people are questioning why Nikon deleted the serial number on 10cm ED F12 refractor; they think it might also be the OEM product.

Edited by wekim, 19 August 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#67 wekim

wekim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:06 PM

More

I just found out there's a one thumb screw missing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics