•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY Polemaster: any feedback?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#76 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

• Loc: Nor Cal

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

Anyone want to tackle whether it's easier to use a polar scope or the pole master?

Chris I have used the PoleMaster for over a month and have been very satisfied with the results I get with it. I haven't used my polar scope in either the AVX or the Atlas AZ/EQ since getting the PolarMaster. I find it gives me a better alignment on both mounts.

I don't have to bend down any longer to look through the polar scope. That was the hardest thing for me. I have had to many surgeries (Knees, Back, Shoulder) and it makes it hard to kneel down and or bend over to peer through a polar scope.

The attached is 18X 20 min in Ha I only used the PoleMaster to align the mount.

http://astrob.in/full/238617/0/

Excellent results!  I assume this is a guided image...

#77 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

One could let it expose for hours while observing or imaging. Measure the arc of polaris?

#78 ekallgren

ekallgren

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

Yes Ricky it was guided. I don't own a mount that can take images like that unguided.

Edited by ekallgren, 15 February 2016 - 05:20 PM.

• Ricky likes this

#79 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

Neptune,

I plan on drift aligning via PHD2 anyways. I'm just wondering if this is 'more easier' than using a polar scope or not? Would you rather spend the money on the polar scope or not?

Chris

Follow up.  Here's a guy using the Polemaster, and then just seeing where he is with PHD2 drift align, not adjusting.   Where he is, is better than what I've ever been able to do.  Well under a minute.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• Ricky and Chote like this

#80 SunBlack

SunBlack

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome (IT)

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:24 AM

My final experience with Polemaster:

Setup: VX mount, unguided, PEC, Canon 5D mkIII mod + Nikon 500/4 @ f8, jpg incamera unmodified, my city, no filters.

8 exps at 120s 100iso. On 8 exps, two trailed in RA, due to unaccurate PEC, infact i suppose that trail is caussed by uncorrected PE. So i think Polemaster works fine (no problems in Dec). Attached crop 300% of the good 6 exps, crop 300% of the 2 exps trailed, and a stack of all 8 exps. Interesting the fact i can control PA "on the fly", i.e. after an hurt to the tripod or simply after have pointed at target. Area framed is Cone nebula (+9° dec)

This link is for the stack:

http://i84.servimg.c.../85/8xraw10.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 300%.jpg
  • 300%M.jpg

#81 FirstC8

FirstC8

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

I used a 1/3 chip and set my C8 at F10 to shoot M1 for awhile, only when I added the PM was I able to center M1 for hours at a time.  As one can see from my stacked image (10x900s Ha, OAG guided), without accurate PA the object would have moved out of the frame.

The kicker is, this one was shot with my AVX mount.  The bad news is AVX has not been able to provide consistent accuracy.  Not the fault of the PM.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2016-03-10 14.40.05.jpg

#82 pavelhv

pavelhv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

neptun 2 said:

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Guys we have confirmation that qhy5L-II can be used with the modified driver and software recognizes it and works normally. The problem is that 5L-II have its usb connnection on the back which will make quite difficult to produce adapter for it. The other thing to take care of is to buy 25mm lens and attach it which should not be so difficult. If you want to test here are instructions how to modify the driver. Please keep in mind that for mindows 8/8.1/10 you need to first disable driver signing before installing the modified driver.

First you should download and install the driver from qhy site:

http://www.qhyccd.co...river150915.zip

By default it installs in following folder -  C:\Program Files (x86)\QHYCCD\POLEMASTERDriver\driver

Here you will see file POLEMASTER.inf which you need to modify. Open it with notepad or any other text editor. You will see following section in it:

[CamVid]
PidVidA = VID_1618&PID_0940
PidVidB = VID_1618&PID_0941
[qhyccd.NTx86]
"POLEMASTER"=POLEMASTER_FW,USB\VID_1618&PID_0940
"POLEMASTER"=POLEMASTER_IO,USB\VID_1618&PID_0941

So now you should just change the 0940 and 0941 digits in the polamster.inf file with 0920 and 0921 respectively. Save the file after that. The modified driver is ready. Now you should install it. Open again device manager -> right click on the camera -> properties but this time go to the driver tab. Click on update driver -> browse my computer for software. Now click on the browse button and go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\QHYCCD\POLEMASTERDriver\driver folder. Click next. If everything is ok driver will be installed and you will have polemaster device in device manager -> astro equipment. Now you should install the polemaster software and start it. If it recognizes the camera and you get image it is successful. Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------

hi,

when updating the driver as instructed above, I receive a following message:

"the hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering"

do you have any idea how to fix it? thanks

• jozasa likes this

#83 StuartJPP

StuartJPP

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Leeds, United Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

hi,

when updating the driver as instructed above, I receive a following message:

"the hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering"

do you have any idea how to fix it? thanks

What OS are you using? If Windows 10 have a look here (may work on 8 as well if it has driver signing):

http://www.technipag...-driver-signing

#84 Chote

Chote

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

Pls note that Polemaster beyond version 1.14 will not accept the modified driver (for qhy5L-ii).

#85 pavelhv

pavelhv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

thanks StuartJPP, driver can be installed now,

thanks Chote, camera is not recongnized even in version 1.30

pavel

#86 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

Anyone want to tackle whether it's easier to use a polar scope or the pole master?

Chris I have used the PoleMaster for over a month and have been very satisfied with the results I get with it. I haven't used my polar scope in either the AVX or the Atlas AZ/EQ since getting the PolarMaster. I find it gives me a better alignment on both mounts.

I don't have to bend down any longer to look through the polar scope. That was the hardest thing for me. I have had to many surgeries (Knees, Back, Shoulder) and it makes it hard to kneel down and or bend over to peer through a polar scope.

The attached is 18X 20 min in Ha I only used the PoleMaster to align the mount.

http://astrob.in/full/238617/0/

That looks very, very nice.

• marine017 likes this

#87 neptun2

neptun2

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

Sorry for not around for some time. Was quite busy at work. Yes i confirm that with the newer versions of the polemaster software they made some modifications to not allow qhy 5L-II to be used as polemaster even with modified driver. For those of you who still want to use their 5L-II here is link to versions 1.08, 1.10 and 1.14 beta of the polemaster software which should still work fine with the modified driver.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#88 StuartJPP

StuartJPP

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Leeds, United Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

Sorry for not around for some time. Was quite busy at work. Yes i confirm that with the newer versions of the polemaster software they made some modifications to not allow qhy 5L-II to be used as polemaster even with modified driver. For those of you who still want to use their 5L-II here is link to versions 1.08, 1.10 and 1.14 beta of the polemaster software which should still work fine with the modified driver.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Probably explains why those versions are no longer available on their website.

#89 powasam5000

powasam5000

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:36 PM

I myself will be taking the polemaster out for the first time this coming Sunday. Seems very promising for a newb like me. After you are polar aligned with the polemaster you can remove it/turn it off for the night correct? Any reason to keep it on ?

#90 ccrunner84

ccrunner84

Explorer 1

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

I myself will be taking the polemaster out for the first time this coming Sunday. Seems very promising for a newb like me. After you are polar aligned with the polemaster you can remove it/turn it off for the night correct? Any reason to keep it on ?

I usually just leave it on, somewhat nice to know that things are still lined up if you touch/bump anything.

#91 pavelhv

pavelhv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

qhy 5L II works with older versions! thanks. the cctv camera to attach should be C or CS mount? Or any of them?

#92 powasam5000

powasam5000

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

I usually just leave it on, somewhat nice to know that things are still lined up if you touch/bump anything.

so I'll be in the clear if I remove the connection to the laptop after polar alignment? The reason I ask is because I only have 2 USB ports on the laptop and i need one for guiding. Thanks!

Edited by powasam5000, 06 April 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#93 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

so I'll be in the clear if I remove the connection to the laptop after polar alignment? The reason I ask is because I only have 2 USB ports on the laptop and i need one for guiding. Thanks!

Yes, you will be fine.  I unplug mine for the same reason, to free up a USB port.  Just be careful not to jostle the mount while unplugging the Polemaster.  :)

Edited by Chuckwagon, 06 April 2016 - 04:35 PM.

• powasam5000 likes this

#94 Chote

Chote

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:06 AM

qhy 5L II works with older versions! thanks. the cctv camera to attach should be C or CS mount? Or any of them?

The camera lens has to be cs type.

#95 fetoma

fetoma

Gemini

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

Not completely true. I couldn't get it to work. Spent two days on it with help! You can't use the new software with it either, it has to be the older version. If you try it and it doesn't work, you'll start having drivers in your drivers folder that may cause issues using the QHY5L-II as a guider. I removed old drivers and the QHY5L-II was still being recognized as a Polemaster.

#96 SunBlack

SunBlack

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome (IT)

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

After first tests at beginning of year, i can say it's a great tool. Last weekend i reached 2.2m exp NON GUIDED @ 500mm FL on my Canon 5d and no trails. 

#97 ChrisMoses

ChrisMoses

Apollo

• Loc: Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

I'm on the same mission for unguided exposures.... after all that's why one buys the EC version!  Also got the Polemaster and it does improve polar alignment. However, I still can't get more than 90 sec exposures without elongated stars. What else could be causing this?

Ciao,

Mel

There's a fairly straight forward answer to this.  If you have determined that the polar alignment (or lack thereof) is causing drift in your images, then doing something to improve the polar alignment is going to help whether it is improving your polar alignment process or getting some other device to help you.  However, if the polar alignment is reasonably good (and you have determined this), then making it better won't really help and the mount itself is the problem.  Realistically, I would not expect to get a whole lot longer than 90 sec. to maybe a few minutes unguided on this mount regardless based on the lack of any evidence to the contrary.

Keep in mind that the max time you can take a sub without without field rotation (with or without guiding) is dependent on your dec. (And the separation between your guide star and the image edge, if guiding). So, be careful when comparing images. Make sure you are comparing images from the same dec.

I posted a calculator on github.  I don't recall the url off-hand, but I can find it if anyone wants it. 

#98 Jannis

Jannis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:44 PM

Guys we have confirmation that qhy5L-II can be used with the modified driver and software recognizes it and works normally.

Just curious, i have the 5L-II-M and i actually use it for both guiding, and deep-sky imaging. My problem is that It's the only guide-cam i have,so when using the 5L for deep sky, i usually use a very short focal length or around 50-200mm and exposures up to only 2 min.

If it works to modify the driver this easily, it must mean the camera is mostly identical, and so can't this process be reversed easily to be able to use the polemaster (then detected as a 5L) for either guiding or deep-sky?

I know this would mean that i'd have to take off and on the 25mm lens and refocus before next polar alignment, and of course i won't have a guide-port on it - but this is really not a bit issue for me if it's as simple as screwing off and on a standard CS lens - and it would save me plenty of cash as i wouldn't need to buy yet another camera (which i can't afford anyway).

Changing the driver back and forth won't be an issue either as i'll be using one specific laptop for polar alignment and a desktop for everything else.

#99 Panotaker

Panotaker

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

I have the Polemaster mounted on my Questar. It makes using the setting circles a lot easier.

164047907.jpg

• Robin Lee, artem2, gfstallin and 1 other like this

#100 Dmitry

Dmitry

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

If anyone want to use the latest PoleMaster 1.3.2.8 with QHY5L-II even without installing or changing of the PoleMaster's driver use this link:

https://drive.google...cTMxd0tvR2JQek0

Unzip it to installed PoleMaster 1.3.2.8 folder over.

• artem2 and w1978 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics