•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SV80ST

imaging ccd dslr refractor astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 baron555

baron555

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

Punched the button late last week and ordered a new SV80ST.  

Primary purpose will be for AP imaging of DSOs.  Presently use the SW 120ED Pro and the C8 for lunar and planetary.  I will mount this on the new, used GM-8 that I got from Santa.

Just wanted to get this thread created.  I will upload photos of the setup and issue updates on it's first light and imaging and visual performance.

Prior to punching the purchase button, I called over to Stellarvue in CA to discuss my purchases and vet out if I was ordering all the correct parts.  Alex, one of the regular employees answered the phone and stated that they were just going into a staff meeting and asked if he could call me back.  Sure.  An hour later the phone rang and who had called me back?  Vic Maris the owner!  We chatted for over a half hour about my plans and purchases.  He stated that they were working on 80s just then and mine should ship out in about a week.

I'll keep you guys posted.

• wprince and Reptilicus like this

#2 coopman

coopman

Skylab

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

Congrats. I believe that you have made a great purchase.

#3 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

It's a very good scope, I had one myself for visual and the optics were excellent.

A bit heavy for visual for the aperture, but for DSO imaging especially on your mount it will excel as an imaging platform.

Looking forward to some photos.

#4 OrionSword

OrionSword

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

I just received the SV80ST and SVQ100 last week.  You will also received the complementary clouds on arrival!

Did manage to get a couple images before clouding out with SV80 with and without a flattener.  Without FF there was some curvature in the corners,  installed a Hotech SCA FF and things looked real good now.  I think you will enjoy the SV80.

Yes Vic is pretty attentive with his customers, even answers emails on weekends.

Edited by OrionSword, 13 January 2016 - 08:55 PM.

• Scope junkie likes this

#5 William Mc

William Mc

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North East Florida

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

Do you mean the Hotech? I also just received my SV80ST ( It's just gorgeous! Your going to really like it barron555.) and was hoping to use my Hotech SCA flattener. ( I also plan on the SV Reducer / flattn.)    Are there any aberrations at all with the Hotech? What size sensor?

#6 OrionSword

OrionSword

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Do you mean the Hotech? I also just received my SV80ST ( It's just gorgeous! Your going to really like it barron555.) and was hoping to use my Hotech SCA flattener. ( I also plan on the SV Reducer / flattn.)    Are there any aberrations at all with the Hotech? What size sensor?

Yeah I should have spelled Hotech,  I get them mixed up with Hutech because I use the IDAS filter.  I got the Hotech spaced within 1mm.  Clouds have so far limited testing but a couple images show only a tiny bit of elongation deep in the corners.  I'm using the SBIG 8300m sensor.

#7 Reptilicus

Reptilicus

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:40 PM

Phil,

Good luck with the new glass. :waytogo: The SV80ST wonderful little telescope with excellent optics and build quality. Love mine. Looking forward to the pics. 

Bill

#8 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Viking 1

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I am considering this scope too, I am lucky and only live about 40 minutes from SV and was able to drop in before the holidays for a visit to see it and the beautiful SVR102T.

This will be my first refractor, currently I have a Meade ETX125 which I have used for several years. While I'd love the SVR102T I'm afraid my wife would kill me if I came home with it right off the bat.

What I am considering is SV's complete visual package for this scope which includes:

The venerable Stellarvue 80ST apo triplet refractor with interferometric test report, 2.5" focuser, 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters, American made cnc machined mounting rings and the C19 airline carry-on case.
•Stellarvue's deluxe 2" diagonal.
•Three premium eyepieces including two 82 degree Stellarvue Ultra Wide Angle eyepieces and a 70 degree 26 mm wide field eyepiece with illuminated crosshair reticle.
•Celestron computerized go-to AVX mount with computer, heavy duty stainless tripod and TP14 rail.
•F050M2 finderscope with rings

My uses will be starting with some moon, planetary and some deep space objects. Eventually I intend to get a field flattener and connect my Nikon D7100 DSLR to it for astrophotography.

Does anyone have any comments on alternate mounts, eyepieces to consider or other accessories.I may want or need.  

BTW, if I am thread jacking please let me know and I can create my own thread.

Edited by rkaufmann87, 14 January 2016 - 03:54 PM.

#9 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

I think that Vic has put together a really nice system in the visual package. I only have two thoughts.

1.) The 26mm eyepiece with a reticle is a great accessory because it will help you align your mount's goto system. It is, however, your only lower power eyepiece and you may not want a reticle etching in front of your eye everywhere you look (Of course, the illumination can be turned off). You may want to investigate adding another eyepiece between the 7mm and the 26mm. I have always found the 13mm size to be pretty handy.

2.) You are saying a common thing: Start off visual but eventually try photography. That's fine. If you just want to play around with AP then this is a great start. I would, however, recommend that you do some searching and reading on the topic of AP and figure out if it's something that you really want to do and then cross that bridge when you come to it.

I still have and use my original Stellarvue 80mm triplet from almost 14 years ago. It started as a visual telescope and then became my AP telescope. I saw more things with that 80mm SV than I have through any other telescope. I am now in the process of setting up a more portable imaging rig and it will once again "take to the stars". Even if you buy other telescopes, a good 80mm refractor will always have a place.

• MortonH likes this

#10 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Viking 1

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

I've played a bit with Astrophotography with just the camera and my camera tripod and love the results. The next step would be using the telescope of course. Yes, I have read a bit albeit primarily online about various techniques and the commitment required and the amount of trial and error it takes to begin getting good shots. It seems like an investment in Photoshop is almost a must. I know there are some excellent tutorials available and several good books. In your setup, do you use a CCD for AP or a DSLR?

I have PS Elements but I don't know if that would handle the post processing needed for AP. I also use Apple's Aperture app, although it no longer supported it still works just fine and is comparable to Lightroom. 

Regarding the eyepieces, the setup comes with  4, 7 & 26mm eyepieces. Perhaps swapping out the 7mm for the 16mm from the kit they offer would provided a more rounded solution. The reticle 26mm may not be too bad and if not I can always replace it. 

#11 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

Well, you'll find the eyepieces are very personal. Try the standard set from Stellarvue - you may find that you'd like to fill in the gap a little. As I said, I really like the 13/14mm size. The reticle may not bother you - see what you think. I still feel that the reticle is valuable for helping to center stars when you're aligning your mount.

Regarding AP: Photoshop is one program that you can use but there are others. Another popular program is PixInsight. I prefer PixInsight to Photoshop but that's not to rate one above the other because they are very different. I feel that Photoshop is more artistic, like a drawing program, while PixInsight is more akin to a statistics program.

In my case, I started taking pictures with an SLR shooting film and then an afocally mounted Nikon Coolpix (i.e. I connected the camera to the telescope with a threaded eye piece) which was a lot of fun. I also used a modified web camera for planetary photography. Eventually I moved to an SBIG brand CCD camera and used that for over ten years. Back then, DSLRs were not as popular in general, let alone for astrophotography, as they are today. I just upgraded to a QSI CCD camera this year. Regardless, I wouldn't consider myself a serious astrophotographer - not like many on this site.

If you buy quality equipment, it will last you for a long time.

If you have not spent much time over there, you can get a good feel for what other people are doing over on the Beginning & Intermediate Imaging forum and by watching some of the Astro Imaging Channel videos.

Good luck and, most of all, have fun.

#12 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Viking 1

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:25 AM

Hi Ken,

Thanks again for the advice and also, thank you very much for the Youtube link. I'll spend some time looking them over. 

#13 baron555

baron555

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

FedEx finally arrived yesterday.  I did a quick look inside all the boxes and everything survived safe and sound.  Sure looks purty!!  I'll post some piks probably this weekend.

My lens Strehl ratio is .971 I believe.

• jrbarnett and mikegro like this

#14 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: +2 GMT

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

Enjoy your scope I have had a few over the years, 80, 105, 115. All exceptional performers Stellarvue puts a good package together.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging, ccd, dslr, refractor, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics