•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
4109 replies to this topic

#4101 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

I removed the extension tube.  But looks like I'm missing a piece that threads the 1.25" adapter into r&p tube.

#4102 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:44 PM

Did you try this?

Attached Thumbnails

• JW.jpg

• steve t likes this

#4103 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 AM

I tried every combination I could think of.  My general criticism is that these simple machined aluminum rings -- which Chuck could make in his shop -- are ridiculously over-priced.  And Takahashi must know that most owners are gonna use standard 1.25" / .965" accessories, so why not have a single-piece adapter (like most other brands)?  Especially given how long the r&p tube already is on this very short scope.  Seems money-grubbing to me.  Vixen doesn't do that, and yet my FL80S is a very well made fluorite APO, too.

• steve t likes this

#4104 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 09:06 AM

BIF:  Yes!  Got the 3D Marble Moon last night with both 50s.  Was more intense in the FC, probably because I was looking straight-through; and, had the RKE 20mm in it, and a vintage ER 30mm in the 838, so about 20x for both.  Didn't get the effect while the clouds were streaming over -- only when the Moon was in the clear.

Why observe with a tiny refractor?  Some double stars in star-rich fields stand out in a 50mm, but get "lost in the crowd" of faint background stars in a 100mm / 152mm refractor.  Jupiter & the Galileans, and Saturn & Titan seem to float in the void with these scopes.  The views are so different from larger fracs, that it's worth my while to use them.

The 6336 with the Vixen extensions & 1.25" adapter:  I tried it with the 30mm tube in (and locked in place with the r&p's thumbscrew) and with it out.  Didn't see much difference, but with the waxing Moon, I didn't do my usual Milky Way sweep, either.  I highly recommend it.  Takes maybe a minute to make the swap.  Getting to use the Baader 1.25" or spectros 35mm prism diagonal and eyepieces takes this 50+ year old Royal frac to the next level -- stunning views of the Moon and Mars last night!  Took me back 4 decades to when I switched my Tasco 80mm to the 1.25" Tani diagonal & Meade RG Orthoscopics... 

Edited by Bomber Bob, Yesterday, 01:00 PM.

• steve t, Bonco2 and Paul Sweeney like this

#4105 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 AM

We had a Sidewalk Astronomy last night. Unfortunately, I had a starter issue on my car and had to borrow my wife's car for the evening. Was originally going to bring the 6" F10 Jaegers, but due to things with the car I brought my trusty 5.5" Maksutov. Saturn was too low to look good and Mars is just not a great object. Yes I said it!!!! We had a Nexstar 6 on Mars and the Maksutov on the moon. The Mak has slightly dimmer images, but is sharper than the C6.  Only had 35 people, but some very interesting comments.

Edited by bremms, Yesterday, 10:55 AM.

• steve t, Bonco2, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#4106 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 PM

Royal on Takahashi & Takahashi on Vixen...  What's next, cats & dogs lying down together??

Royal-Tak & Tak-Vixen P04.jpg

The FC-50 is in the straight-through penalty box tonight.  It's a work night, time is limited, and aggravation is to be avoided.  The 6336 and the 838 are ready to go!

• steve t, Garyth64 and jcruse64 like this

#4107 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Did you try this?

In your picture, the ring that threads into the extension tube (between the eyepiece adapter & the extension) will not un-thread, and doesn't look like it will.  I'd have to put the extension in a vice, and try to unscrew the ring -- would be tough to avoid scratching / gouging one or both parts... 

#4108 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted Yesterday, 06:35 PM

The extension tube will unscrew. I don’t use any of the extension tubes with my FC-50 and a prism diagonal. Straight through viewing and it is needed. 

Glad and you like the views through the FC-50. Amazing little scopes. I have mine mounted on my Brandon 130. It is nice to go back and forth between the two. I’ll see something in the 5” and then look in the little Tak and it is usually there. Not always, but a fairly large percentage of the time. 

I am so sorry for your loss.  We lost two 15 year old cats within a month of each other 4 years ago. They were our children and we were devastated. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4109 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 PM

The extension tube on my FC-50 unthreads.  It's the knurled ring that the 1.25" adapter screws into that's stuck / frozen in the extension tube.  When I have time to mess with it, I will.

Got even better views in 8/10 seeing tonight of the Moon in the 838, and Mars in the 6336.  Got the Royal 76mm up to 240x on Mars, and surface features were dark enough to see Acidalium, and trace the outline of Chryse -- but with each week, it gets harder to recognize anything at the eyepiece. After that, checked my Delphinus down to Aquarius doubles -- before they're gone, too.  Albireo is beautiful in the 838, but bright & beautiful in the 6336.  

• wfj, Pete W, Garyth64 and 1 other like this

#4110 Garyth64

Garyth64

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted Yesterday, 10:28 PM

What's next, cats & dogs lying down together?

Of course!  My wife had a German shepherd that had his own little kitty,  or did the kitty have it's own German shepherd.  Either way they would be found together.  What is the world coming to?

I've even had a Shrine Manon on a Unitron mount.  A Sears 6339s on a Celestron mount, and an Edmund mount.

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics