•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
4648 replies to this topic

#4301 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

DSO seeing will be 8+ tonight, but I'll be indoors -- 12F wind chills!

Good idea staying in. Wind chills here will be near -30°F (yes, minus thirty) by sunup tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails

• 4273A15C-99F7-4CE5-92DB-96274F0DDDE6.jpeg

• Mr Magoo, BarabinoSr, rolo and 7 others like this

#4302 Pete W

Pete W

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

Yikes...I can’t complain about a little dew and frost on my telescope tube.  

• shredder1656 likes this

#4303 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

I spent tonight's short session in Auriga:  https://www.universe...m/19527/auriga/

I used my C5 with CeleHex for Mars and double stars, and my Trip55 (ATM 5" F5 triplet) with 2" Erfles for DSOs.  Mars at 167x... one thin mottled blackish line south of the equator + one tiny dark gray spot.  Didn't stay long...

So many pretty doubles in The Charioteer, and easy to find, too.  About midway between Elnath & Theta is a very wide pair (in fact, the line splits them!); it is about midway between M37 & M36.  About midway from it to M36 is another wide visual double the points north towards the cluster.  Within 4* of the cluster itself are a half-dozen tighter to very tight pairs,  including a brilliant yellow + cool bluish one.  Start due north of M36, and ease clockwise around it, and you'll see what I mean.  Damper air tonight hurt clarity, but the calm let the C5 split these near pinpoint stars.  

I think my C5 has a bit of slippage:  I had nailed focus at Mars, and had to tweak it after I swung east.  And, after decades with GEMs, this fork mount confuses me a bit when I'm star-hopping.  But the views were fine, and that's what really matters.  

• steve t, DMala and shredder1656 like this

#4304 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

I really wanted to drag the Edmund out, because the sky looked beautiful yesterday morning and this morning.  Poor picture with my cell, but you get the idea. 

20190131_063648-01.jpeg

I almost took off the first hour of work  just to observe until sunrise.  If it was Saturday I would have done the polar bear observing plunge.  Since it's a work day... That's my excuse. 

However, this is the weather this morning. 

Screenshot_20190131-063913_Weather-01.jpeg

This was yesterday after daybreak.  We are getting a heat wave.  LoL.

Screenshot_20190130-083631_Weather-01.jpeg

Enjoy your weather, you southerners. :) 

• rolo, steve t, deepwoods1 and 5 others like this

#4305 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

Enjoy your weather, you southerners. smile.gif

Well, I realise when you said "southerners" you weren't really thinking of folks quite as far south as me Scott lol.gif but your -13°F is -25°C...& last week we had the temperature hitting 55°C (131°F) several days in a row on the back porch!

Of course I also see that the forecast says "Feels like -42°F"...but then again our 55°C felt like 70°C (158°F)..! rofl2.gif

Opposite ends of the Earth...opposite weather! wink.gif

• steve t, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#4306 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

What did one observe?   That it is too cold out for me to do much with the scopes   so I took the binocs out for a quick look around the winter sky

How cold is it folks ask?  Like a meat freezer

[attachment=1201567:Frankie CarboneIMG-20190.jpg 

Attached Thumbnails

• Frankie CarboneIMG-20190.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 31 January 2019 - 03:44 PM.

• Bomber Bob, Steve Allison, shredder1656 and 1 other like this

#4307 akman1955

akman1955

Skylab

• Loc: Alaska

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

smile.gif  minus 10 is normal here. walked outside at 3-4am and watched the northern lights :)waytogo.gif

• Pete W, deepwoods1, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#4308 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

It felt far, far too cold to be outside tonight, but I couldn't help myself. The forecast called for clear skies for a few hours before more snow moves in. So, I took out the 1975 sandcast C-8 on it's fork mount, wedge and tripod, along with my Sony A7S camera and gave the Orion Nebula a shot. The polar alignment was sketchy, but it worked out okay for now. This is the result of 22 stacked subs (15 seconds each) shooting at ISO 25,600. Then processed in Deep Sky Stacker and Adobe Light Room. It was a short night, but beautiful out there while it lasted!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• Orion C8 jpg.jpg

• photiost, rolo, steve t and 16 others like this

#4309 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

Light makes right tonight!

I wasn't sure if my "new" Mizar AR-1 mount could carry my Edmund (3B) 4" F15 Cassegrain, but it did, and I have another grab & go.  I cruised around the Milky Way in Cassiopeia & Perseus at 50x and a small field of view -- even in this vintage 1.25" Erfle.  Before that, an obligatory look at Mars, using a spectros PL7.5 for 200x.  Too bad it's a work night -- I'd still be outside.  This Cass is more refractor-like than the C5 -- but with spikes.  It temp adapts in less than half the time that the SCT needs.  It's easier to collimate.  It didn't need it tonight, but I put thumbscrews on both mirror cells, so working these at the eyepiece isn't as frustrating as the VMC200L..  My Baader prism diagonal has that fine focus ring, which came in handy, supplementing the Edmund's big helical focuser.  

The Double Cluster barely fit the field.  Broke out that bright orange-red star in the middle of the two clusters.  From there, I hopped to 663, M103, & 457.  After M52, I swung over to M38, and ended with M35.  Along the way, I parted over a dozen doubles, including the brighter of the "unequal Twins" --  golden Castor.

BIF:  It took the Cass about 15 mins to adapt from a 70F house to 50F outdoors.

The Mizar mount has its original brown tar grease.  As temps dropped, friction increased, so I'm gonna have to break it down, then clean out the muck & re-grease. 

Anyone else have an OTA built with this 3B mirror set?  I like to see how others craft their scopes.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 01 February 2019 - 09:13 AM.

• photiost, steve t, paul m schofield and 2 others like this

#4310 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:45 AM

Well, I realise when you said "southerners" you weren't really thinking of folks quite as far south as me Scott lol.gif but your -13°F is -25°C...& last week we had the temperature hitting 55°C (131°F) several days in a row on the back porch!

Of course I also see that the forecast says "Feels like -42°F"...but then again our 55°C felt like 70°C (158°F)..! rofl2.gif

Opposite ends of the Earth...opposite weather! wink.gif

lol.gif Darryl!  LOL!  Yeah, we definitely all have our trials by weather!  158*!  shocked.gif bow.gif   I can't say that doesn't sound down-right pleasant right now, but I personally enjoy a few stretches of weather like ours.  Knocks down the skeeter populations, hopefully.  grin.gif 

Enjoy your heat.  I hope to swing over that way and enjoy it some day myself.  (If wishes were horses...lol.gif )

• Kokatha man likes this

#4311 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:00 AM

smile.gif  minus 10 is normal here. walked outside at 3-4am and watched the northern lights smile.gifwaytogo.gif

That is funny and true.  I actually thought about you and all of your neighbors when I posted.  LOL.  

I have the "pleasure" of working indoors so maybe that disqualifies my opinion, but I find it shocking that the USPS in our area delayed service for the last couple of days due to the temps.  I wouldn't ride our quad without a facemask and goggles in this weather, but if I had the day off, I would definitely be enjoying the outdoors.  Not sure how we are at a point where a few days of average temps in only single digits below 0* justifies closing numerous businesses, schools, blah, blah, blah...

I will say that the temps are real and give me pause when considering observing with something as expensive (IMO) and classic as my C102F.  That odd stray snowflake or whatever, landing on the objective, would be my concern.  I still wish I could see the Northern Lights from here.  grin.gif   Lucky you!waytogo.gif 

• akman1955, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4312 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:43 AM

It felt far, far too cold to be outside tonight, but I couldn't help myself. The forecast called for clear skies for a few hours before more snow moves in. So, I took out the 1975 sandcast C-8 on it's fork mount, wedge and tripod, along with my Sony A7S camera and gave the Orion Nebula a shot. The polar alignment was sketchy, but it worked out okay for now. This is the result of 22 stacked subs (15 seconds each) shooting at ISO 25,600. Then processed in Deep Sky Stacker and Adobe Light Room. It was a short night, but beautiful out there while it lasted!

V/R

Terry

Aaand I know what I'm doing with my T3i when I get my C8 back next week.

• deepwoods1 and TerryWood like this

#4313 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Augustus, I haven't used the C-8 in a while and forgotten how fun it is to use. Plenty of aperture, no fuss no muss, and lots of metal. Awesome. I think I'm going to start using it more often! V/R Terry
  • steve t, ziridava, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#4314 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

V/R

Terry

WOW!  That is a beautiful picture.

• TerryWood and Augustus like this

#4315 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

Thanks! Sometimes I get lucky, plus Orion is hard to mess up! V/R Terry
  • Augustus likes this

#4316 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:35 PM

Once again I observed nothing tonight despite clear skies. Too cold out and I'm recovering from a bad sinus infection.

• TerryWood likes this

#4317 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:21 PM

EQ5 mount for the 2080 came today so I tested it out before the clouds rolled in. M42 and M38 looked pretty good. Nice pinpoint stars.

• rolo, steve t, TerryWood and 1 other like this

#4318 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

I'm recovering from a bad sinus infection.

I hear ya:  Thursday marks my 7th week with The Crud...  It does get better, but it sure seems like clawing your way back!

I shouldn't have gone out last week, but I wanted to test the Mizar, and I hadn't used the Edmund Cass in a while.  Made my throat hurt worse, but as that cut down on my yakking, Debbie didn't find that to be a bad thing...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 04 February 2019 - 06:47 PM.

• TerryWood, Augustus and shredder1656 like this

#4319 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

We had two beautiful clear, very transparent, relatively warm nights in a row (family Saturday night and friends Sunday night). Unfortunately I had prior non-astronomy obligations! I just was able to longingly take things in with my two eyes during comings and goings and the skies looked better than I had seen them in months. Now, the clouds have rolled back in today. Oh well, I’m most happy to have friends and family in my life, and really don’t mind when it takes precedence. Still, I can’t even remember the last time I actually had a telescope out! Sometimes I feel that things are working against me in this hobby! :lol:

• photiost, steve t, akman1955 and 7 others like this

#4320 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

Well, I've been at The Swamp 26 years now, and the weather patterns have definitely changed -- in a bad way for this hobby!

• paul m schofield, TerryWood and Paul Sweeney like this

#4321 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

I'm recovering from a bad sinus infection.

I hear ya:  Thursday marks my 7th week with The Crud...  It does get better, but it sure seems like clawing your way back!

I shouldn't have gone out last week, but I wanted to test the Mizar, and I hadn't used the Edmund Cass in a while.  Made my throat hurt worse, but as that cut down on my yakking, Debbie didn't find that to be a bad thing...

...I've been lucky to avoid sinusitis itself for a couple of years now, but for anyone who thinks that hay fever is just a bit of sneezing & itchy eyes - let me tell them that it can make you feel like a truck's run over you for days or even weeks on end..! :(

I know certain medications taken daily can relieve a lot of the symptoms but I don't care to take them, I swallow enough other stuff every day!

#4322 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:42 PM

Folks, we are turning this into a "What you didn't observe with your classic telescope today" or "Why you didn't observe with your classic telescope today".  Nudge, nudge...

• Vesper818 and Augustus like this

#4323 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Tonight I saw the Horsehead with my RV6 and an H-beta filter. Funny enough, I also managed to spot eleven Pleiads with the naked eye despite my poor quality skies.

I also bagged NGC 2403, which was a subtle glow a few arcminutes wide.

EDIT: For those wondering, you really need an H-beta filter to see the Horsehead. They do work! With a regular UHC, even the 20" has trouble showing it. With the H-beta, I bet I could see it with an even smaller scope - heck, if I had a 1.25" H-beta I'd try with the C90. Also, my RV6 is flocked, which immensely helps things.

Edited by Augustus, 04 February 2019 - 08:53 PM.

• photiost, Pete W, steve t and 6 others like this

#4324 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

M42 and M37 with the RV6. I got my 6" ED back it is so sharp.

• photiost, steve t, paul m schofield and 4 others like this

#4325 steve t

steve t

Messenger

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

Had my 6" scope out Sunday night for some quick observing, during breaks in the Super Bowl.

It was nice to have a clear and comfortable night to be out.

Just cruised through Auriga. Ursa Major was standing on its hind legs on the NE horizon and Mizar and Alcor were an easy naked eye split.

Steve T 

• photiost, paul m schofield, TerryWood and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics