•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
4534 replies to this topic

#4526 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vannes - France

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:46 AM

Glad to see your setup Peter.

Two days ago, I took mine on the balcony (used my Orion tripod + fine adjustment mount) to look at the moon. I used my meade 8-24 zoom eyepiece and, despite some turbulences sometimes, I had very nice images of Clavius at 100 x

Next time, I'll try my ES 5.6mm to see what it looks like. If the weather forecast here in Brittany are not responding to my demands, I just give up observing.

Yesterday, I was monitoring my two young, sleeping children and so needed a mobile set-up to enjoy the 6 day old Moon. Evenings are getting brighter but lovely just to be able to sit outside and observe the Moon gradually becoming more and more pronounced in the evening sky.

I used my Bresser 80/800 Mangin Cassegrain on its screw-in legs - nice and stable (it's nearly all metal, deceptively heavy) on my garden table. The fine-controls work very smoothly. I used the supplied 25mm Kellner and took some shots with an attached smartphone. I didn't really push things too hard at all when it comes to magnification - I was happy with a 12.5mm Plössl. This is a scope that I use more as a daytime spotter (thanks to the generosity of CN's Tourneciel!) but as a ultra portable, table top instrument, it is a pleasure to use for relaxed lunar observing.

Edited by Tourneciel, 15 May 2019 - 02:50 AM.

• steve t and Peter_D like this

#4527 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:08 AM

It's closing time of galaxy season, and the moon is swimming naked (as Cohen sang...) -- at least up here in The Kingdom at 56dg North --, so I've spent the past couple of nights trying to scout out the Abell galaxy clusters forming the "Sloan Great Wall" in central Virgo. Talk about faint White Walkers... My weapon of choice was my "big" classic Zeiss 4" refractor on motorized EQ mount. I've described some of my latest galaxy observations with this set up here (and in the previous posts).

-- Allan

Edited by AllanDystrup, 15 May 2019 - 03:14 AM.

• steve t, ziridava, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#4528 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

I spent two hours quality time out on the deck last night viewing the moon as well. I didn’t have a classic out tho, but instead my Celestron Omni 4” F9.8 on a GEM, which looks and behaves like a classic, and I did use my full set of classic circle T volcano-top eyepieces. It was nice to just polar align, turn on the drive and let it track all evening. I started right around sun down and had everything back inside around 10:15PM. Tycho was wonderful as a starting point, then a brief detour to Clavius, then back up to Deslandres, Hell and Bullialdus in a traverse across the expanse of Mare Nubium ending with Copernicus on the sea’s northern margin, and then into Mare Imbrium stopping at Archemedes and finally ending my tour at Plato. I guess you could say that my quarry last night were my favorite walled plains and ringed mountains. I saw several craterlets on the floor of Plato using my 4mm Edscorp Ortho. All in all, it was quite a pleasant journey. I was quite pleased with the operation of the Synta-made refractor. CA is very well controlled, images are sharp and contrasty. I picked it up late last year when in the mood for another longish achromat after selling my F15 and F11. I have to say, this one is considerably more manageable and I’m quite pleased with it. I got it with solar observing in mind and also as a scope to take to outreach events, but it makes a very nice lunar cruiser as well. It handles 250X well, so I’m happy.
  • steve t, deepwoods1, Mike E. and 10 others like this

#4529 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Got a couple precious moments this evening with my teenage son and the Polarex 128 looking at Apollo landing sites! We also munched on some Nutty Buddies while observing. Can’t beat that! Good times!

BCFB98FE-564E-4008-A8CB-7E42BD1B7F89.jpeg

• astro140, steve t, deepwoods1 and 10 others like this

#4530 highfnum

highfnum

Skylab

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

with near full moon eh- the moon

jaeger 83mm F 11

jag83southside.jpg

• steve t, TerryWood, terraclarke and 6 others like this

#4531 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

Before the Full Moon rose & wrecked things, I got in a short & sweet DSO session with my APM 152ED + Takahashi FC-50 (riding shotgun).  What made it really Classic?  Both fracs were riding on my antique Tinsley EQ & pedestal.  I'd forgotten what a superb platform this mount is for everything from low power sweeping to high power serious observing.

First bright star to appear in the 50mm's sights was Algieba.  Absolutely gorgeous split with the 152 at 100x; the 50mm fluorite at 80x (spectros 5mm Plossl) was tough!  Both stars are intensely bright in it -- the primary is a deep orange, and in this scope almost overwhelms the secondary.  In the 152ED, I saw a very bright orange red and a orangish/yellowish fainter companion.

I set the FC-50 to 20x (Meade RG ER20), and the 152 to 43x (RKE 28mm), then swung the rig east.  Arcturus was blazing against the faint moonglow.  Star-hopped with the Tak, and... Bam!  Messier 3 stood out like a tiny fuzzy Q-Tip.  At 43x the 6" ED showed more, and I went straight to 120x with my spectros 10mm Kellner.  The globular took up about a third of the absolutely flat field.  Straight-on, I saw a reverse check-mark; while with averted vision, the core split into 2 messy blobs, one about half the size of the other, and the outermost stars popped in & out of view.

Now the moonglow had me under the gun.  I swept back west to the Sickle, and zig-zagged north & east, grabbing as many doubles as I could.  A few I knew from memory, but most I'd have to look up.  The Tiny Tak caught one -- looked like a squashed Figure 8, but split nicely in the 152.

• Pete W, steve t and Bonco2 like this

#4532 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted Yesterday, 08:27 PM

with near full moon eh- the moon

jaeger 83mm F 11

attachicon.gif jag83southside.jpg

That is one nice photograph!

• highfnum and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4533 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 PM

It's a great Moon shot -- look at all those rays, like a giant spider straddling the globe...

#4534 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted Today, 08:41 AM

Early yesterday morning I set up the Questar 3.5 and ZWO 178 monocam to take some images of Jupiter and Saturn. The seeing was pretty steady with some intervals of rippling here and there. Jupiter was captured at it's maximum of 26 degrees elevation. Saturn was a bit lower. The weather forecast was for clouds and possible rain. Glad they were way off base this time!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3623.JPG
  • IMG_3624.JPG

• highfnum, rolo, CharlieB and 13 others like this

#4535 Garyth64

Garyth64

Gemini

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted Today, 11:36 AM

Those two are great shots!

And it looks like the Red Spot has turned into an eye.

• Joe1950 and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics