•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
5086 replies to this topic

#5076 JeniSkunk

JeniSkunk

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

Finally got to properly see if my adjusting and working the joints of my RAO 50x500 would pay off.

While I still can't properly manage the gunbarrel sights on the scope, I did, through dumb luck spot something unexpected, ρ Eri, seeing it sharply enough to be able to tell it wasn't a single star, though not magnified enough to see the split between ρ Eri A and ρ Eri B.

I'd been trying to line the scope up on Achernar.

It was checking Stellarium and Sky Safari 6, after the clouds moved in and forced me to give up on viewing for the night, that I was able to ID what I'd seen, of the stars nearby.

TYC 8478-0661-1, TYC 8478-0642-1, TYC 8478-0505-1, HIP 7542 and HIP 7699.

edit: fix missing

Edited by JeniSkunk, 18 October 2019 - 05:34 AM.

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5077 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

Took the C8 all the way to Ward Pound Ridge thinking it'd clear up. It didn't, and the high wind gusts led to me packing up after around 45 minutes. Looked at Jupiter, Saturn, M22 and one other glob in Sagittarius.

• Mr Magoo, photiost, deepwoods1 and 3 others like this

#5078 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Finally did some observing last night. Mostly, with more modern scopes, though. I setup a WO Spacecat 51 for imaging and the Classic TMB 100 f8 for visual.  I did use a 1989’s vintage eyepiece that I recently got, a Masuyama 45mm. Wow, with the TMB, the Mas gave pinpoint stars across the entire field and had that wonderful diamonds on black velvet appearance. The Pleiades was beautifully framed. The Double cluster was nice but neeeded more magnification, so put the Leitz 30mm, which brought out a few more stars in the clusters. 

The weatherman lied, as he said it was dry.  About 12:30, the dew hit and I had left off the dew heaters. So packed everything away and went to bed. 

I got the Mas 45 a couple of weeks ago at a really good price. Physically, it shows use with some wear on the 2” barrell and minor scratches on the body, but the optics were perfect.  This was my first opportunity to really give it a test and I am very happy with it. 

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#5079 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Had the RV-6 (6" F/8) in the backyard last night riding the Losmandy GM-8, and the Sears 6339a (76mm f/15) riding the Tasco's native mount.  Transparency was quite good, seeing was quite poor, surprisingly poor.

Found that the GM-8 needed the RA worm adjusted - way too much wiggle.  The last time the mount was used I had some tracking vibrations due to the worm being too tight.  Apparently I loosened it too much back then. 

Anyhoo...tracked down a few faint things in the 76mm, namely M110 and indistinct glimpses of M74, but without the 6" confirming the field, M74 would have been invisible through the Sears.

Began but did not finish a double star tour from Almach in Andromeda down through Aries, Pisces and ending in Cetus. Prepared this tour before-hand, printing out a small chart laying out the course. Quite fun even with the poor seeing.  Doubles looked significantly better through the Sears.  

Edited by Pete W, Yesterday, 11:20 AM.

• photiost, paul m schofield, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#5080 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 PM

I brought the C8 to Ward Pound Ridge again tonight. I wasn't expecting much - conditions were pretty bad and I mostly focused on helping this guy set up his new Celestron NexStar Evolution 6. 

At around 7:20, two large vans showed up. I was getting ready to pack, and I thought the vans were film crews. There were only maybe five scopes at this point in operation (few WAA members showed up due to the crappy forecast) - even the Evolution guy was packing up. I thought the vans were a film crew or something, and were gonna ruin any meager hopes of observing by erecting giant spotlights (this has happened previously at Ward).

Nope. It was about 40 Fordham students doing their observation requirement for Astronomy 101. 

Due to the near-overcast skies, there were only a couple other astronomers left on the field, and I unwittingly became the center of attention for about 90 minutes. I showed M31, the Double Cluster, M57, Albireo and Saturn between the clouds.

IMG_3420s.jpg

So yeah, that was fun.

• Mr Magoo, rolo, Pete W and 9 others like this

#5081 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 PM

All right, Zane!!!  Lucky you!!

• Augustus likes this

#5082 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 PM

I love it when something like that happens! Great work!

Probably the biggest example I've encountered was when Halley's comet came around and a few of us in the local club decided to go to a nearby viewpoint, and set up a half dozen scopes and invite some friends. Somehow, word got out, and unbeknownst to us it was announced on one of the local TV news programs. Fortunately, since the comet was such a dud, we also had great views of Saturn, so hundreds of people went away happy that night.

Chip W.  

• ziridava and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5083 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

I brought the C8 to Ward Pound Ridge again tonight. I wasn't expecting much - conditions were pretty bad and I mostly focused on helping this guy set up his new Celestron NexStar Evolution 6. 

At around 7:20, two large vans showed up. I was getting ready to pack, and I thought the vans were film crews. There were only maybe five scopes at this point in operation (few WAA members showed up due to the crappy forecast) - even the Evolution guy was packing up. I thought the vans were a film crew or something, and were gonna ruin any meager hopes of observing by erecting giant spotlights (this has happened previously at Ward).

Nope. It was about 40 Fordham students doing their observation requirement for Astronomy 101. 

Due to the near-overcast skies, there were only a couple other astronomers left on the field, and I unwittingly became the center of attention for about 90 minutes. I showed M31, the Double Cluster, M57, Albireo and Saturn between the clouds.

attachicon.gif IMG_3420s.jpg

So yeah, that was fun.

Good job young man!

#5084 scrufy

scrufy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Today, 02:24 AM

Threw my back out so couldnt even think of my cgx/9.25/72ED setup and decided i wanted to relax with a few beverages outside. Los Angeles area so not really cold. Grabbed my Selsi 60x700 and just sat back and looked at Saturn, Formalhaut, then arcturas. Enjoyable evening with simple grab and go in the backyard and grabbed an eyepiece case so easy fun. Loaned my Monolux out but that would have been even better.

Edited by scrufy, Today, 02:26 AM.

• rolo, ziridava and Bomber Bob like this

#5085 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted Today, 09:24 AM

This is my naked eye observation from a few days ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• sunset.jpg

• photiost, John O'Hara, deepwoods1 and 4 others like this

#5086 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted Today, 11:42 AM

We have had the most beautiful October in Kentucky this year in my recent memory!

• wfj and Joe1950 like this

#5087 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted Today, 02:20 PM

If Nestor's stragglers clear out tonight, I got a bunch of stuff to test before The Moon returns:  A 1.25" OIII nebular filter, and a set of "new" (post 2000) 2" eyepieces.  Stubby, Dakin 4, & TN 5 are waiting in the shed -- all 3 scopes have 2" focusers (and all 3 are UO Japan imports from the 1970s with the same basic hardware).  [Stubby = ATM/Edmund 6" F4 Newt, TN = ATM 5" F5 triplet refractor]

• John O'Hara, deepwoods1 and 2696 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics