•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
6263 replies to this topic

#5301 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:25 AM

Ditto on the eyepiece! It is a nice eyepiece to fill the gap! 

• Pete W likes this

#5302 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

Ditto on the eyepiece! It is a nice eyepiece to fill the gap! 

I need to try out the 10mm with a barlow to see what 5mm looks like.  I have a 6mm meade ortho that I rarely use...the view is so dark it's hard to see the edges of the field and thus its hard to get things centered.    I'll consider tracking down a 5mm Ultrascopic if the barlowed 10mm gives more pleasing images than the 6mm ortho.  

#5303 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

In PR I could observe any time of year...

I just returned from this area of Thailand, really thinking about retiring there! Last night it was 17 degrees F at my house, no kind of weather to be standing outside!

https://www.wundergr...ng/19.52,100.30

• Terra Nova and Uranotopia like this

#5304 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:06 PM

My 2 largest RFTs are ready for cloud-dodging tonight:

Triple Nickle on VG2 WT & Stubby 6 on AR-1 ShortPod S01.jpg

They're both a lot of fun to use; and, they have about the same focal lengths of 600mm, so I can swap an eyepiece between them & get very different views of the same field at the same magnification...

The next time I post pix of the Triple Nickle, it'll be sporting a Meade / Mizar high gloss dark blue tube (IF the actual color matches the cap!).  Along the way, I'll show how I use that AutoZone aluminum filler to erase all signs of previous screw holes.  AZ also has a similar paste that works with fiberglass & plastics.  I may try it on Stubby's 2 large bolt holes (where a previous owner attached it to an Edmund 1" shaft mount?).  If it works there, then on to my RV-6.  When I upgraded to the Astro Optical focuser, I had to slide the mirror cell forward about 1.5" to make up for the taller unit...

Right now, seeing will bounce between 6 & 7 as thin NW to SE vines of cirrus race across The Swamp.  There's a large clear hole way west in Mississippi, but that could easily fill in before it gets here.  We'll see...

I bought my VersaGo 2 used, and thought I might use it a year or two, then move on to a Vixen Porta.  But with cleaning, re-lubing, & adding those wood surveyor legs, it's a fine alt/az for the low power sweeping that I do.

Orion on the meridian, so that's where I spent most of my precious pre-cloud time.  I started at The Trapezium with a 2" E-Lux for ~ 15x in both.  I couldn't break out "B" with Stubby, but could see it with the TN 5 & averted vision.  B was easy & obvious at the center of field in both scopes when I increased to 20x in about 7 / 10 seeing.  At 90x, the TN5 added 2 more stars to The Trap.  Seeing must've improved a bit, as M43 seemed larger & brighter at 40x than usual in Stubby, and the dust lane was prominent.

No finder on the TN5, so I moved due north & field-by-field with it, and Stubby followed along.  100x is my usual limit with RFTs, but at M78 I used a 4mm Radian in both for 150x, and the views were sketch-worthy.  For the newer observers, the fields from Orion's Belt to the Gemini-Taurus borders are very rich, and fun to explore with just about any scope -- or, binoculars.

I didn't turn a scope to Venus, but a thicker finger cloud rose as it sank, and I saw some intermittent reddish-purple flashes -- don't recall ever seeing that effect before.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 16 February 2020 - 11:07 AM.

• photiost, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#5305 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:33 PM

I just returned from this area of Thailand, really thinking about retiring there! Last night it was 17 degrees F at my house, no kind of weather to be standing outside!

https://www.wundergr...ng/19.52,100.30

I love it up north around Chiang Mai. Some years ago I had thought about retiring up there. It’s just so far away from family so I decided against it. It’s wonderful tho. I’ve been to Thailand several times generally staying for four weeks so as to be just under the 30 day special visa limitation. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. I’ve met a number of American ex-pats in Bangkok. Good luck on your potential move.

• Astrolite likes this

#5306 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

My 2 largest RFTs are ready for cloud-dodging tonight:

attachicon.gifTriple Nickle on VG2 WT & Stubby 6 on AR-1 ShortPod S01.jpg

They're both a lot of fun to use; and, they have about the same focal lengths of 600mm, so I can swap an eyepiece between them & get very different views of the same field at the same magnification...

The next time I post pix of the Triple Nickle, it'll be sporting a Meade / Mizar high gloss dark blue tube (IF the actual color matches the cap!).  Along the way, I'll show how I use that AutoZone aluminum filler to erase all signs of previous screw holes.  AZ also has a similar paste that works with fiberglass & plastics.  I may try it on Stubby's 2 large bolt holes (where a previous owner attached it to an Edmund 1" shaft mount?).  If it works there, then on to my RV-6.  When I upgraded to the Astro Optical focuser, I had to slide the mirror cell forward about 1.5" to make up for the taller unit...

Right now, seeing will bounce between 6 & 7 as thin NW to SE vines of cirrus race across The Swamp.  There's a large clear hole way west in Mississippi, but that could easily fill in before it gets here.  We'll see...

I bought my VersaGo 2 used, and thought I might use it a year or two, then move on to a Vixen Porta.  But with cleaning, re-lubing, & adding those wood surveyor legs, it's a fine alt/az for the low power sweeping that I do.

Orion on the meridian, so that's where I spent most of my precious pre-cloud time.  I started at The Trapezium with a 2" E-Lux for ~ 15x in both.  I couldn't break out "B" with Stubby, but could see it with the TN 5 & averted vision.  B was easy & obvious at the center of field in both scopes when I increased to 20x in about 7 / 10 seeing.  At 90x, the TN5 added 2 more stars to The Trap.  Seeing must've improved a bit, as M43 seemed larger & brighter at 40x than usual in Stubby, and the dust lane was prominent.

No finder on the TN5, so I moved due north & field-by-field with it, and Stubby followed along.  100x is my usual limit with RFTs, but at M78 I used a 4mm Radian in both for 150x, and the views were sketch-worthy.  For the newer observers, the fields from Orion's Belt to the Gemini-Taurus borders are very rich, and fun to explore with just about any scope -- or, binoculars.

I didn't turn a scope to Venus, but a thicker finger cloud rose as it sank, and I saw some intermittent reddish-purple flashes -- don't recall ever seeing that effect before.

How do you find the 5” F5 refractor against the 6” F4 Newt? I sold my ST120 because my 6” F4.5 Newt made it redundant.

#5307 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

Terra, it's pretty much what you'd expect:  I prefer the 5" refractor for star fields & clusters; the 6" Newt for faint fuzzies.  BIF:  Stubby needs a new secondary with a wider minor axis.   I replaced its original Edmund 1.25" with a Meade / UO Japanese 2" model -- very similar to the focusers on the TN 5 & Dakin 4.

• Terra Nova likes this

#5308 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

JW, I was able to get some Protostar flockboard around four years ago and lined the inside of my Newt (it had been painted with flat black chalkboard paint) and it made a vast difference in the blackness of the background field when looking at open clusters and starfields.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#5309 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:39 PM

I love it up north around Chiang Mai. Some years ago I had thought about retiring up there. It’s just so far away from family so I decided against it. It’s wonderful tho. I’ve been to Thailand several times generally staying for four weeks so as to be just under the 30 day special visa limitation. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. I’ve met a number of American ex-pats in Bangkok. Good luck on your potential move.

I agree with you on Northern Thailand. This, off-topic photo (sorry) was in Phayao, Thailand near where my wife was raised.

DSC_0355rc.jpg

• photiost, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#5310 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Messenger

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

Sometime ago I was able to get my hands on a vintage Carton 60mm f/17 objective lens. It became the heart of an assembled 60mm telescope with 1.25" focuser. The optics of the Carton objective are not only excellent, they are superb. This telescope can be used in any of my 60mm Sears equatorial mounts and in my EQ3. Yesterday I had a break where the skies were dark and clear. This Frankenstein with the vintage Carton heart provided excellent views of the Orion Nebula with a 30mm Plossl. Rigel was showing its companion without any difficulty and Betelgeuse was observed just to see it significantly dimmer. I was using a 6mm UO ortho on both Rigel and Betelgeuse then went up to the 4mm UO ortho and found no degradation of the images. This Carton can take it. The mount used was a 1960s equatorial from a Sears 6305. They work great manually. As usual in the tropics, clouds arrived and it could be rain so I ended the session. BTW it rained.

Clear Skies,

Guido

• Bomber Bob and Astrolite like this

#5311 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Messenger

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

In PR I could observe any time of year...

Except when we get the Saharan dust in the summer that produces so much haze leaving only the moon and maybe bright planets open for observation. Otherwise we have quite many days of clear skies and warm nights.

Clear Skies!

Guido

• AstroKerr likes this

#5312 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

JW, I was able to get some Protostar flockboard around four years ago and lined the inside of my Newt (it had been painted with flat black chalkboard paint) and it made a vast difference in the blackness of the background field when looking at open clusters and starfields.

My RV-6 is the only Newt that I've put a lot of effort into for defeating / limiting stray light -- probably one reason it has such refractor-like performance.  I'm keeping Stubby, so it, too, will get that treatment.  And, my 826 OTA is also looking like a Keeper...  Whew!  It sounds like a lot of work, but these are rainy weekend projects, and they pay off on clear nights.  

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, Joe1950 and 1 other like this

#5313 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

My RV-6 is the only Newt that I've put a lot of effort into for defeating / limiting stray light -- probably one reason it has such refractor-like performance.  I'm keeping Stubby, so it, too, will get that treatment.  And, my 826 OTA is also looking like a Keeper...  Whew!  It sounds like a lot of work, but these are rainy weekend projects, and they pay off on clear nights.  

If you can get this stuff it’s great. E-mail response from the vendor are problematic and slow in coming. Then you wait and wait after its ordered. Pretty much forget it. Then it magically appears at your doorstep. It’s worth the wait tho. And it snaps to fit, no gluing. It’s the blackest stuff I’ve ever seen.

https://www.fpi-prot.../flockboard.htm

• rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5314 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Messenger

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:56 PM

Here's the Carton 60mm f/17 that I used for yesterday's observing session. It is mounted in the Sears 6305 equatorial just as it was yesterday. I did a closeup of the Meade focuser, Chinese diagonal, and Carton objective. The dew shield is a piece of PVC and the finder scope is a Meade. The tube is properly baffled. This is a great grab and go telescope. 

Guido

Attached Thumbnails

• Carton1.JPG
  • CartonDiag.JPG
  • CartonObjective.JPG

• steve t, deepwoods1, Defenderslideguitar and 3 others like this

#5315 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

Which classic to try and see the Mars / Moon occultation in the morning here in SW Connecticut?   It will be getting light out for us here in the East but I am still going out before dawn....

Planning on using the 1979 C-8 on the heavy duty Unistar mount. I am going to also have The Unitron 140 or the Vixen 80fl  at the ready

It should be a good night   and then after some sleep a good morning

Those of you a bit farther west should have a nice experience   what will you have outside with you ?

https://earthsky.org...ars-february-18

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 17 February 2020 - 02:10 PM.

• photiost, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#5316 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

I'm up against the foot of mountains to my southeast.  I won't be able to see it from work, will catch it online later.

Mars is tiny and so low that I doubt much surface detail will be discerned, but who knows?

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#5317 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

Which classic to try and see the Mars / Moon occultation in the morning here in SW Connecticut?   It will be getting light out for us here in the East but I am still going out before dawn....

Planning on using the 1979 C-8 on the heavy duty Unistar mount. I am going to also have The Unitron 140 or the Vixen 80fl  at the ready

It should be a good night   and then after some sleep a good morning

Those of you a bit farther west should have a nice experience   what will you have outside with you ?

https://earthsky.org...ars-february-18

Supposed to be overcast here.

I'm going observing at Ward tonight with the C8, gonna catch Mercury again.....

#5318 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:09 PM

Supposed to be overcast here.

I'm going observing at Ward tonight with the C8, gonna catch Mercury again.....

Z

That will be  dissapointing if it is overcast... we have had enough of no go nights recently  and I am looking at perfectly clear blue skies  so I guess I just figured it will be good  in the dawn hours............ I'll have to consult the weather channel etc.

Meanwhile   I'll be going out tonight  as   no moon for evening should be a plus

B

• Augustus likes this

#5319 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

Clouds have ruined this evening's observing here.....

• Joe1950 likes this

#5320 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

Yes  I see the clouds moving at me from your location west of me

Saw Venus and started  to go wider for the Pleiades and  

in the words of Bugs Bunny ;     " That's all folks " 

• Joe1950 and Augustus like this

#5321 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:37 PM

It will be cloudy and raining here by the early morning hours.

• rcwolpert, Joe1950, Augustus and 1 other like this

#5322 Joe1950

Joe1950

Voyager 1

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:18 PM

It's clear here, but everything ruined for my classic C-8 by the neighbor's 500W Dual Spot Lights. flame.gif 

I have to put up some kind of barrier. Flat black on my side and a mirror finish on their side. Dirtballs.

• photiost, Terra Nova, Augustus and 2 others like this

#5323 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:50 PM

Took the Pentax out for the first time in a couple of weeks. Cranked it up to 250X (about 75X per inch) on Venus, with a moon filter. The limb was nice and sharp, while the terminator had a soft edge. It really did look like an orb with an atmosphere. Definitely some CA with that much light energy against a dark background at that magnification, but with the filter it wasn't bad. 

Also took in the usual suspects (M31/32/110, 45, 42, double cluster) while playing around with some 1.25" eyepieces. A Celestron 32mm Plossl definitely gave a wider field than the 40mm Unitron Mono. 

Now that I have the polar alignment sight figured out, it was all of about 5 minutes to get good alignment, and a pleasure to not have to touch the Dec knob except for centering new objects. Makes me hope I'll eventually find a drive for it. 

Chip W. 

• Bonco2 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5324 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:15 AM

It will be cloudy and raining here by the early morning hours.

Was cloudy here this morning so scratch that event for me. I did get to see another SpaceX launch Monday and they’re always amazing to watch. 

#5325 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:19 AM

Selsi 60x750, Crescent 60x910, H & SRs 20,12.5,10,6,4 all 0.965. Lunar, Mars just out of Lunar occultation, Jupiter. Poor, patchy, low contrast(mostly) seeing, lots of moonglow (haze) scattered cirrus & cirrocumulus, Rushed setup after Graves,but Mars popped out. Small, dim, no detail other than disc -okay down 10mm, poor, v poor at 6 & 4 (det seeing), still a rush as I managed to catch it coming out. Good detail on terminator as well. Much better conditions around jupiter, but sun coming up, clouds drifting, still, good views down to 10mm & about 20 sec with 6mm before everything (seeing) fell apart - There were moons and dim banding and maybe the GRS (but that might've been imagination). Didn't think, but could've grabbed ED or at least an 80. Not bad tho' - both scopes did well for their size and conditions - you don't need 'TotL' to get things done.

• photiost, Defenderslideguitar and Steve Allison like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics