•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
5834 replies to this topic

#5351 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

I know the AT102ED isn't a Classic (yet.  Give it a couple of decades.), but like my fine old fracs, it does very well with vintage & simple eyepieces, too.  At F7, Kellners aren't the best, but Orthos & Erfles work.  (I should've kept a few of my Tani volcano-tops, just for comparisons with my newish UO HDs.)  The Orthos are super-sharp, and the fields are flat -- same as in my fluorite APOs.

Funny, I sold my HD orthos and kept my older circle T volcano tops. I liked them better in my FC-76 when I compared them.

• Joe1950 likes this

#5352 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

I like the longer eye relief in the HDs.  A few of my Tani V-Ts were Mint, including one that had no brands on it.  Back in the day, seems like lots of US vendors sold them.

• Joe1950 likes this

#5353 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

I like the longer eye relief in the HDs.  A few of my Tani V-Ts were Mint, including one that had no brands on it.  Back in the day, seems like lots of US vendors sold them.

My Circle T VTs are a mix, I have a no-name 9mm O, 25mm K, and 20mm Erfle, the rest are orthos (25, 18, 12.5, 6, and 4mm) branded Celestron, Edscorp, and UO. Rounding the VTs out is my beloved Meade RG 7mm O, which is not a Circle T, my 28mm Edmund RKE, and my 32mm Brandon. Here’s my 1.25” classic eyepiece box that gets used with my Tak scopes.

Attached Thumbnails

• F4A5D65B-4F48-4D46-97BD-8FC6E365BA20.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 23 February 2020 - 01:40 PM.

• photiost, deepwoods1, paul m schofield and 6 others like this

#5354 PawPaw

PawPaw

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:01 PM

One of our cows drinking water. And our birdhouse.  Taken through my Edmund voyager 6001 with 28mm RKE.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200223_133047a.jpg
  • 20200223_133356a.jpg

• clamchip, Bomber Bob, Piggyback and 4 others like this

#5355 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:59 AM

It’s cloudy and raining here this morning and it was cloudy most of the day yesterday, but I stepped outside on the deck last night after supper and to my surprise, it was dark, clear, no wind, relatively warm, and thankfully, the neighbors didn’t have their stupid outdoor lights on. I wasn’t planning on observing but seeing these conditions, I ran back in and grabbed a lightweight kit to make the most of it! The weapon of choice was the Red Racer II, (my sample the limited run custom CNC ST80 RFT that I participated in designing; this one I assembled myself with a hand-picked 80mm F5 objective). I also grabbed my set of BST Flat-Field eyepieces that are for dedicated use with this scope (27mm, 19mm, 12mm, and 8mm) as they yield nice wide starfields (55° to 65° AFOV) that are sharp to the edge with pinpoint stars, bright nebulae, and black surrounding skies. They give me a perfect range of magnification with this scope from 15 to 50X.

The itinerary included Orion- first stop M42 and the Trapezium with four stars showing like  beautiful tiny diamonds, the adjacent gas clouds of M43, and Na’ir Al Saif (ι Orionis); a leisurely stroll all along the Sword and Belt followed. I ended my tour of the Hunter with a view of bright blue-white Rigel, and ruddy orange Betelgeuse which appeared to me to be brightening again. Then I struck North, next stop was Praesepe, the Beehive Cluster (M44) in Cancer, and then on to the beautiful double star Castor in Gemini. From there I went on to the Dipper to check out Mizar A and B and Alcor. From here I went west to Cassiopeia and Perseus with a special stop at the Double Cluster. By now the sky was starting to be overrun with bands of Cirrus. There was just time  for one more stop- an old favorite, the always beautiful a Pleiades. I was out for a little over an hour and it was time well spent! For them life of me, I think this was the first time I’ve been out with a telescope for any length of time since the New Year. The only other time being a brief look at Venus from the front porch. I’m very much looking forward to to Spring and improving skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20E61A22-2AF0-4DDA-96E0-8645D10AD70A.jpeg

• photiost, Pete W, steve t and 14 others like this

#5356 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

Nice, Terra! 

Seeing here is typically better in the cooler months.  Fewer atmospheric thermoclines I'm guessing, a much more stable atmosphere.  But it's so cold that motivation suffers.  I'll take the summers and wait until the wee hours for the boiling to stop.

When I was a teenager, I'd be out at the eyepiece in single-digit temperatures.  Can't do that anymore.  :(

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#5357 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

Chuck, if it’s below 35°, I don’t go out to view unless there is something extraordinary so see.

• Chuck Hards, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#5358 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

Great report Terra,

Nice tour   hopping around.  It also shows why i is important to have a grab and go or easy kit at the ready. While there are lots of short tubes out there  and most of us have a a couple     your always seems to attract our attention ..  that little red sweetie is very nice indeed..

• Terra Nova and shredder1656 like this

#5359 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Barry, she turned out really well. The RRII is a great little RFT!

Attached Thumbnails

• 6C011EB3-DAB0-43D3-B36E-0FCF40325C33.jpeg

• photiost, steve t, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#5360 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:50 PM

You kept serial #1, right?  waytogo.gif

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and shredder1656 like this

#5361 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

Yep! ;)

• deepwoods1, Chuck Hards, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#5362 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:41 PM

Very rare for us to get three clear nights in a row, especially falling on a new moon weekend with no work to get up for in the morning! Both Friday and Saturday were very frustrating for me. It was cold to the point I couldn't feel my finger tips to tighten and loosen the eyepiece screws, I couldn't get the mount to work correctly and I still wasn't satisfied with the collimation of the telescope. The mount issue turned out to be operator error and with a little more tweaking of the collimation I was ready to give her a go Sunday night. Sunday night was actually warm enough that it was enjoyable, especially with a working mount and well adjusted optics. The only negative was that I did have to get up for work the next morning so the session didn't last as long as I would have liked.

This was my setup for the night, although I was using the mount in Alt Az mode.

DSC_1425c.jpg

I ran through the double star database that is included in the mounts handset, at least the ones that could be seem from my tree surrounded site. I also spent some time scanning around both the Hyades and Pleiades. But most of my time was spent with M42, the Trapezium and Castor. The Trapezium gave up four of its stars with my 19mm Panoptic at 63x and 13mm Nagler at 92x. M42 was stunning even in my light polluted skies. One of my favorite doubles has always been Castor. I just love how these 10TEs show these as two, very equal, well resolved balls. At 92x they were still touching but when I upped the power to 158x you could see a nice swath of black between them.

All in all Sunday night more than made up for Friday and Saturday.    

• photiost, Pete W, deepwoods1 and 8 others like this

#5363 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

After days of rain, got a hole in the clouds shortly after sunset. I grabbed the little Tasco 60/700, put it on the GP and was out in a flash. I started with Orion. M42 and the Trapizium were first up. They looked good, with the stars really sharp. Then onto Sigma, where I could see three of the four stars. I hit a couple other double stars in the lower sword, and noticed thin clouds already arriving. I went on to Rigel, and used the thin clouds to suppress the glare. So I was able to get a brief glimpse of Rigel's companion. Soon the clouds blotted out Rigel, and I went south to Canis Major. M41 and a few bright doubles, and then the clouds covered everything, forcing me to call it a night. This is an older Tasco from the early 80's, with Japanese glass, and it does pretty good. With this scope you feel you are looking through a soda straw. I tried holding a 65° EP above the diagonal, and I was amazed to see how the view opened up. I'm ordering an adapter to allow the use of 1.25" EPs. This is my quick peek scope and I need to improve it a bit. It's great for these 30 minute sessions.
  • photiost, Bomber Bob, Piggyback and 4 others like this

#5364 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

...nothing against the scope Terra, but I simply enjoyed your little recount of that star-tour! :)

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar, Steve Allison and 1 other like this

#5365 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Ranger 4

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:57 PM

My wife gave me a membership to the Charlotte Amateur Astronomers Club for Christmas and a couple Saturdays ago, Jim patiently trained a group of us how to access and use the 8” Alvin Clark, the 16” Cass, and the 24” Newtonian at the club’s Gayle H. Riggsbee Observatory (GHRO). 

3D6DBAF5-3167-4CC8-9FB2-B97DAC6C6490.jpeg

7456CD6D-C591-42BE-B432-EEB2DCC19B9B.jpeg

I can’t believe we are allowed to come use these wonderful instruments any time we like. The telescopes are beautiful but my favorite so far is the Alvin. About 100 years old and still performs exceptionally. Note, the patches in the dome. Those were from someone taking target practice shots at the observatory. Good times. 

74574BE3-EAE3-4A68-851D-7A0B2959C333.jpeg

0AC03123-01EF-447A-B025-84343542606A.jpeg

Most of our group was interested in the large Newtonian, so I had about an hour to myself with the Alvin. What a fantastic telescope to learn how to navigate the skies and use an EQ mount. Each telescope has a copy of the Sky Atlas and print out of the visible planets bearings. I started with M42, bright and crisp. M31, surprisingly a fuzzy blob like I see in my 80mm classic. And then Uranus, or at least, I believe it was Uranus; although not blue so perhaps not. The available 2” and 1 1/2” Plossl EPs were ok but I will try my EPs next time to see if the views are better. 

Many thanks to Jim and CAAC for affording the members use of these wonderful telescopes. 

Clear skies,

My

• photiost, Pete W, deepwoods1 and 11 others like this

#5366 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:11 PM

Selsi and Celes 76 refl - moon, venus, orion et al and for the first time in I don't know how long Andromeda with naked eye - that was kinda startling, because it has been months since we've had seeing this good (and it's not really 'good' - but it's 'good'). Teared up I was so happy to catch that puffy ol Andromeda - picked it up @ 38°, it was @ 28° when I came in. Pleiades has a good spot, as well. Just went out to bang the 76 off sirius for a test and had lotsa stars and DSOs and holy cow! Ran back in and grabbed that little Selsi for kicks did a quick tour - TLJ was auditing the arc between Betel and the Sisters with the Selsi and nudged me - "andy's back...' so I looked over a little farther and summagun there it was! heck, everything's back -  no whispies, no cirro-crapulus. All nighter Thursday night out past Inscription House - We've been view-starved. 

Viewing was hoo-rah with no commentable atmo impediments, temp hovering @ 40°, backyard, Moon and Venus 'in the notch' between structures, observers tickled pink.

• photiost, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 4 others like this

#5367 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:50 AM

Hi My
It's great that your club has that Clark refractor. Excellent! And, of course, there are always some clowns with nothing better to do than shoot at an observatory! Luckily they didn't hit the scope.
CS
Paul
  • Defenderslideguitar, shredder1656 and Van Do9:3 like this

#5368 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:41 AM

One of our cows drinking water. And our birdhouse.  Taken through my Edmund voyager 6001 with 28mm RKE.

Nice pics!

Scottish Highland?

• PawPaw likes this

#5369 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:53 AM

Shredder,

Nice report     always great to turn someone else on     to the sky

nice to have company   many times we are solo?

Orion does kind of have some gravitational pull on us as it becomes a starting point each time 

Yes  I am still very pleased with the views of my C-102fl....it is a simple   light and competent classic. When one first  reads about them and the raves reviews and decides one has to have one, you expect it to be as magical as 6-7 inch 7k dollars scope and it is not. But when you do break it out for a session it still amazes what it actually does do.....

I am with you on the 26mm Silvertop   not sure how it has become one of my favorite eyepieces   but like the C-102fl it is just really  competent. It sweeps around so well even when I am lazy gazing..

Finally  one cant help but notice how you have become the classic/older binocular guy. You have gone through more binoculars than a Ruger 22 goes through rimfire brass at the range. I only have 4 or 5 all used binocs  but I have gotten in the habit of keeping a pair of binoculars in the car at the ready. Driving home from some travels perhaps where skies are darker than one's own yard ....one just has to pull over and get a glimpse of the show...

At night the stars put on a show for free

Thanks, Barry.  It was a short, but fun session.

Yes, I haven't looked through a better refractor (as far as I know) than my C102F.  I would love to find a good binoviewer to match with it.  Once I do that, and quit nickel and diming myself through the binocular history, which should allow me to eventually save enough for a more solid and go-to mount, I think it will be a flat-out killer kit. 

Yeah, you caught me blush.gif.  Binoculars are too fun.  In no way am I abandoning telescopes, but binoculars are legit.  grin.gif

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5370 Van Do9:3

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:00 AM

Hi My
It's great that your club has that Clark refractor. Excellent! And, of course, there are always some clowns with nothing better to do than shoot at an observatory! Luckily they didn't hit the scope.
CS
Paul

Pall, yes very lucky. We now store the Alvin with the objective pointing at the horizontal steel ring at the base of the dome. 

#5371 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:11 AM

My      

what a  great opportunity you have there.   Such a great gift and the  Clarke  must so awesome....

If I am ever headed down that way I would love to meet up with you and see the observatory....

a great opportunity for you and club members

• Van Do9:3 likes this

#5372 PawPaw

PawPaw

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:38 AM

Nice pics!

Scottish Highland?

Thanks......Used a $45 cell phone camera.   2 year old Irish Dexter.  

• shredder1656 likes this

#5373 Van Do9:3

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:14 PM

My      

what a  great opportunity you have there.   Such a great gift and the  Clarke  must so awesome....

If I am ever headed down that way I would love to meet up with you and see the observatory....

a great opportunity for you and club members

Barry, you are most welcome to visit us. You’ll enjoy the club and the GHRO. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#5374 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

I had decent seeing and transparency for about half an hour after setting up last night with the 6" Cave on the GM8. I tried my 40mm Optiluxe with a 2" barlow but it didn't work for me, most of the time was spent with a 28mm RKE.

At ~20, the Trapezium resolved into 4 distinct stars, but the exit pupil was too big to be optimal for seeing the nebula. Swapping in the 12.5mm Meade  RG in the barlow showed some astigmatism from miscollimation and eye position was extremely critical. I think I caught the F component, but decided to go back to the RKE for sweeping.

The Pleiades and double cluster were both framed nicely and were a substantial improvement over my 3" refractors. Coma and astrigmatism were noticeable but not distracting. For a 3 element eyepiece, the RKE handles a fast scope extremely well.

Star color is much more vibrant than in the small refractors, something I'll start taking notes on.

Before heading back in to defrost, I caught several more open clusters in the southern and western sky and found M81 and 82 just rising over the trees. I could see some structure in 81, but 82 looked like elongated fuzz with a slightly brighter center.

An hour later transparency went downhill sharply as ice crystals started forming high, wispy haze. Even the Pleiades lookeded like a dim smudge. I took a look as Sirius just to see the atmospheric chromatic aberration, there but not much, and closed out with Polaris. At 20x B was clearly visible right next to the primary, confirmed by bumping up to ~50x with the RG.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, oldmanastro and 4 others like this

#5375 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Explorer 1

• Loc: Cincinnati OH

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

Not today, but about a week back.  Looking at Venus through my Royal Astro 76/1200 and a Pentax XL10.5, and I can say with confidence it was the best view of Venus I've had yet.  (Granted I have scarcely viewed Venus before).  With a light blue filter I could barely make out shades of cloud, and the definition of the terminator was like looking at the moon.  I am extremely pleased with this scope.

• Bomber Bob, Garyth64, Defenderslideguitar and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics