•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
6240 replies to this topic

#6176 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Crescent City, CA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:57 PM

Wonderful, she'll be hooked I bet!!

• Augustus likes this

#6177 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Sputnik

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:03 AM

Day 5 of my moon outreach marathon.  OH MY GOD!!  There I was showing the moon to the public at Kerry Park at about 10:30pm when out of nowhere I was suddenly surrounded by a BLM protest.  An angry mob of approximately 1000 people surrounded me and my telescope and shouted at me with megaphones, "What are you doing for black live matter today Mr. Telescope Man!!!"  They stood about 6 feet away from me on all sides and yelled at me for about 20 minutes. They would not leave until I repeated "black lives matter" over and over. I was scared  and felt very alone. Not a cop in sight. Finally the leader was satisfied and yelled "Let's go!" and they left. As the mob moved away about 20 of them approached me again and said " Can we look at the moon?"  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  "SURE!"  They looked and left.  No damage to me or the scope.  This all happened an hour ago and I'm still trembling. I just had to tell my story. 

Edited by Alanvogt, 30 July 2020 - 02:12 AM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Karl Fabian and 3 others like this

#6178 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Sputnik

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:29 AM

About 1 hour before I was surrounded by protesters:

Unitron7.jpg

Unitron8.jpg

Unitron9.jpg

Unitron91.jpg

• Jim Curry, steve t, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#6179 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:40 AM

You don't have to answer, but what the heck were they protesting?

• Bomber Bob, Augustus and Alanvogt like this

#6180 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:49 AM

Alanvogt, I’m sorry you had that happen. You should call your city officials and let them know how threatened you felt. There’s no excuse for a peaceful citizen to feel threatened by a mob that large. I’d like not to have my comment removed, so I’ll leave it at that.

• John O'Hara, Bomber Bob, Augustus and 2 others like this

#6181 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:23 AM

Alanvogt, I’m sorry you had that happen. You should call your city officials and let them know how threatened you felt. There’s no excuse for a peaceful citizen to feel threatened by a mob that large. I’d like not to have my comment removed, so I’ll leave it at that.

It seems to me that it was an exercise in free speech! No harm was done. Fright is a perception of the frightened. Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are guaranteed by the First Amendment of the US Constitution. The city officials would or at least should tell you the same thing. And calling a group of people a ‘mob’ is a pejorative value judgement. Obviously, they were not, as shown by their last action. 

#6182 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Sputnik

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:39 AM

It seems to me that it was an exercise in free speech! No harm was done. Fright is a perception of the frightened. Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are guaranteed by the First Amendment of the US Constitution. The city officials would or at least should tell you the same thing. And calling a group of people a ‘mob’ is a pejorative value judgement. Obviously, they were not, as shown by their last action. 

Come on Terra, you weren't there. They surrounded me and screamed at me with megaphones. They demanded I repeat their chant over and over. They didn't leave until they were satisfied I had been sufficiently terrorized. Is this how to win someone over? 

• John O'Hara, deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#6183 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

Come on Terra, you weren't there. They surrounded me and screamed at me with megaphones. They demanded I repeat their chant over and over. They didn't leave until they were satisfied I had been sufficiently terrorized. Is this how to win someone over? 

No, it is not. It is bad behavior. But in the end, you won the battle thru kindness and perhaps some of them learned a valuable lesson. I wasn’t so much responding to you as I was responding the the comment about calling the authorities. It is a very slippery slope when we accede to giving up constitutional rights for the sake of feeling safe. However, I also object to characterizing a group of protestors as ‘an angry mob’. Were they carrying pitchforks and torches? And were you or your property actually threatened (by words or physical actions) or did you simply perceive the threat. Language today is loaded with implication and we need to be cognizant of that. 

Edited by Terra Nova, 30 July 2020 - 11:03 AM.

• Piggyback and Steve Haverl like this

#6184 astro140

astro140

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mayhill, New Mexico

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:23 AM

Observed comet NEOWISE last evening (29 November 2020) in my Celestron Comet Catcher (5.5“ fl = 500mm f/3.6) telescope (Vixen optics; orange tube).  View was best using a TeleVue 11mm Nagler type 6 eyepiece (circa 45 power).  Although the tail was partially obscured by the moon, it was readily visible by moving the telescope (with the comet remaining in the field of view).   The telescope was mounted on a TeleVue Gibraltar mount in a ring made for a TeleVue 140 (the TeleVue 140 is permanently mounted on my Astro-Physics 178mm f/9 telescope in my observatory).

Attached Thumbnails

• CometCatcher.jpg

• Spyke, steve t, Ken Sturrock and 7 others like this

#6185 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:52 PM

I'm sorry for your frightening experience. Any movement can have people who are focused on "conversion" over conversation. The people who stayed afterward seem to be at the other end of that spectrum. It's important to not view a group as all of one mind.

I wasn't there, so I can't know if this would help, but in my experience, I've sometimes found that approaching groups of people as they come toward me, to shake their hands, and invite them over for a view, helps defuse some situations. In this time of social distancing, that is no longer easy. But something similar might be possible. When I've been accosted by groups of boisterous college students, I can usually spot some who are going along but not liking it, and if I focus on them, they will sometimes have a settling effect on the others. 

It should go without saying, but if people approach who are clearly being destructive, it's best to abandon your equipment. No telescope (not even a Unitron wink.gif ) is worth injury or worse. 

Chip W. 

• steve t, Alanvogt and Goldengirl52 like this

#6186 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Crescent City, CA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

I'm sorry for your frightening experience. Any movement can have people who are focused on "conversion" over conversation. The people who stayed afterward seem to be at the other end of that spectrum. It's important to not view a group as all of one mind.

I wasn't there, so I can't know if this would help, but in my experience, I've sometimes found that approaching groups of people as they come toward me, to shake their hands, and invite them over for a view, helps defuse some situations. In this time of social distancing, that is no longer easy. But something similar might be possible. When I've been accosted by groups of boisterous college students, I can usually spot some who are going along but not liking it, and if I focus on them, they will sometimes have a settling effect on the others. 

It should go without saying, but if people approach who are clearly being destructive, it's best to abandon your equipment. No telescope (not even a Unitron wink.gif ) is worth injury or worse. 

Chip W. 

I'm going to remember this, thank you Chip.  It all makes very good sense.  No one can understand what it was like for Alan because we weren't there.  But my heart goes out to him over this.  What you said it one of the best things so I will keep it and pass it on to my friends and loved ones.

• John O'Hara, steve t and Alanvogt like this

#6187 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

Let's leave this cautionary tale as it stands.  Little will be gained by continuing on the subject.  Thank you.

Charlie

• steve t, Terra Nova, Augustus and 1 other like this

#6188 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

Got in an hour with the Meade 390... in mostly 6/10 seeing... mid-level moisture, slow-moving clouds with large gaps, yet they parked around the Moon & points south.  Moonglow was extensive, but I did grab some doubles, and The Ring.  No M56 though, and I watched M29 come & go with the cloud flow.  The Moon broke out just past the meridian, and got some very good views at about 170x -- with a thin violet rind that wasn't too distracting.

• steve t, Terra Nova, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#6189 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Sputnik

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:57 AM

No more outreach for me for awhile.  Hopefully September.  So now in my backyard I tried out my new Tasco 10TE, (thanks Lars). I haven't had much time to really clean it up but it's pretty good already. The visual back was missing but my 1.25 Vixen fit perfectly. I slapped on a Tele Vue diagonal and an ES 20mm 68 and it worked great. First up was Jupiter. No false color at all and the cloud bands were sharp and showed excellent contrast. Super sharp.  Next was the moon, Amazing!  I never get tired of it. I will get back out in a minute and look at Saturn.  I've been wanting a 76.2x1200 for quite some time and am not disappointed.

Update: Saturn was fantastic! I could make out Cassini's Division, Titan and I think I could see cloud bands on the surface. All with Saturn only 21 degrees above the horizon. Then I switched to Altair,  Perfect target defocused both ways.  Stars were perfect pin pricks on a black background. This thing is a keeper!

My backyard:

10TE.jpg

I now have 5 classic refractors:  Tasco 60x1000, Tasco 76.2x1200, Swift 77x1000, Meade 90x1000, and Unitron 102x1500.  6 if you include the Unitron guide scope!  I think I'll put the brakes on for awhile. 

Alan

Edited by Alanvogt, 31 July 2020 - 03:00 AM.

• Pete W, steve t, deepwoods1 and 8 others like this

#6190 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:28 AM

Observed comet NEOWISE last evening (29 November 2020) in my Celestron Comet Catcher (5.5“ fl = 500mm f/3.6) telescope (Vixen optics; orange tube).  View was best using a TeleVue 11mm Nagler type 6 eyepiece (circa 45 power).  Although the tail was partially obscured by the moon, it was readily visible by moving the telescope (with the comet remaining in the field of view).   The telescope was mounted on a TeleVue Gibraltar mount in a ring made for a TeleVue 140 (the TeleVue 140 is permanently mounted on my Astro-Physics 178mm f/9 telescope in my observatory).

Very appropriate!  :) 

#6191 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

No more outreach for me for awhile.  Hopefully September.  So now in my backyard I tried out my new Tasco 10TE, (thanks Lars). I haven't had much time to really clean it up but it's pretty good already. The visual back was missing but my 1.25 Vixen fit perfectly. I slapped on a Tele Vue diagonal and an ES 20mm 68 and it worked great. First up was Jupiter. No false color at all and the cloud bands were sharp and showed excellent contrast. Super sharp.  Next was the moon, Amazing!  I never get tired of it. I will get back out in a minute and look at Saturn.  I've been wanting a 76.2x1200 for quite some time and am not disappointed.

Update: Saturn was fantastic! I could make out Cassini's Division, Titan and I think I could see cloud bands on the surface. All with Saturn only 21 degrees above the horizon. Then I switched to Altair,  Perfect target defocused both ways.  Stars were perfect pin pricks on a black background. This thing is a keeper!

My backyard:

attachicon.gif10TE.jpg

I now have 5 classic refractors:  Tasco 60x1000, Tasco 76.2x1200, Swift 77x1000, Meade 90x1000, and Unitron 102x1500.  6 if you include the Unitron guide scope!  I think I'll put the brakes on for awhile. 

Alan

Yes  I too have been out as much as I can playing with and  learning The same scope … the Tasco 10te 76/1200 . I have enjoyed its fine lens   The tripod is stout but I will make the wooden spreader asap as the little metal triangle is woefully insufficient   The focuser takes some patience  and perseverance but functions well . The moon is the first target every clear night and though I never tire of it   I do prefer the lunar limb to the big ole face presently.

Jupiter and Saturn are still great targets for any newly acquired scope to gauge its quality  notwithstanding  the ambient light of the moon that  is there and only annoying for a period of days....I like to spend time on the bright stars of summer  I love th reds of  Arcturus or  Antares  

then tthe summer triangle  of Vega Deneb and Altair......perfect pin points

.Trying different eyepieces looking for the Tasco's favorites is fun....Tried out the sometimes forgotten Baader 8-24 zoom    pretty good actually. Still jazzed up with the Nagler type 6 eyepieces  in this classic and the APO's as well  I have the 7mm and the 16mm T 6  and the Tasco loves them as I do. Just got the T6 in 11mm from the us postal service and I will check it out tonight weather permitting.....

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 31 July 2020 - 12:07 PM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#6192 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Sputnik

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

.Trying different eyepieces looking for the Tasco's favorites is fun....Tried out the sometimes forgotten Baader 8-24 zoom    pretty good actually. Still jazzed up with the Nagler type 6 eyepieces  in this classic and the APO's as well  I have the 7mm and the 16mm T 6  and the Tasco loves them as I do. Just got the T6 in 11mm from the us postal service and I will check it out tonight weather permitting.....

I've been searching for a good 76.2x1200 for about a year now.  Got one a couple months ago that is so bad it will need a complete restore. This one is in pretty good shape. I still have much to learn about the optics and makers. Is Royal Astro considered the best?

Mine is from 1958 serial no. 970150. It has the larger diameter black slider as opposed to the narrow chrome one. I can't find a makers mark on it but I think it's Royal Astro. Another question: I've never tried a zoom eyepiece, Is the image as good as fixed? I use a collection of Explore Scientific eyepieces in both 82 and 68 degree. Of course I have a full set of plossls too.

Alan

Edited by Alanvogt, 31 July 2020 - 12:53 PM.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6193 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Messenger

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

I've been searching for a good 76.2x1200 for about a year now.  Got one a couple months ago that is so bad it will need a complete restore. This one is in pretty good shape. I still have much to learn about the optics and makers. Is Royal Astro considered the best?

Mine is from 1958 serial no. 970150. It has the larger diameter black slider as opposed to the narrow chrome one. I can't find a makers mark on it but I think it's Royal Astro. Another question: I've never tried a zoom eyepiece, Is the image as good as fixed? I use a collection of Explore Scientific eyepieces in both 82 and 68 degree. Of course I have a full set of plossls too.

Alan

You will enjoy the 76.2mm f/16 refractor (Tasco 10TE?). It's  a Royal Astro just by looking at the equatorial mount. There should be a small marker in the lower right corner of the telescope label on the focuser. Royal Astro had a very specific mark and yes, it's one of the best. As for the zoom eyepiece, I have never used one. Like you I use mainly Plossls and some orthoscopics with an adapter. Congrats on that telescope. BTW your Unitron looks always superb.

Clear Skies!

Guido

• PawPaw, Defenderslideguitar and Alanvogt like this

#6194 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

My Tasco 10te is pre maker's mark as well.. There were just  other recent discussions here indicating that the maker's mark show up later in the year and or 1959   but I defer to those here who are in the know of that history... Mine has the larger diameter black pull out focuser as well.....the pic below shows the 5 inch black metal triangle on the 1958 Tasco that I will throw in the case asap    the next pic shows the Unitron 142 spreader eyepiece tray that I will attempt to re create somewhat for the Longfellow Tasco  

Edit: here's the link to the thread Augustus started  and I have the one he found  locally

https://www.cloudyni...identification/

The Baader zoom is actually quite nice. You just slowly crank into more magnification stop and refocus  ...crank stop focus repeat.  It can be good  when an object moves out of the field of view and someone says   the planet is gone   you do not have to go back to low power eyepieces to find it for them. But like most folks I do prefer separate eyepieces. I should add that I think the zoom works best on non draw pull focusing scopes   just saying

I'll be observing again tonight with the 10te   I look forward to observing with the new to me Nagler type 6 11mm

I may then dig in deeper with the 7mm Nag t6   then the 5mm radian   first on the moon then Jupiter and Saturn

btw we agree with Guido   your 4 inch Unitron is all that.....

Barry

Attached Thumbnails

• tasco10tthumbnail.jpg
  • unitron140traythumbnail.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 31 July 2020 - 06:45 PM.

• steve t, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 5 others like this

#6195 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Sputnik

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

BTW your Unitron looks always superb.

Clear Skies!

Guido

btw we agree with Guido   your 4 inch Unitron is all that.....

Barry

Thanks for the kind words.  I feel lucky to have it. Jim in Rhode Island modded it from a 152 to a 155 and hunted down the super hex, unihex and all the other goodies.  All I had to do was convince him I would be a good steward of this fine instrument. I love taking it out in public and the crowd reaction is always fantastic.  By the way Barry, my 10TE is only 43 units newer than yours.  They were probably on the same ship heading to America! I have the original owners manual and can scan it if you like.

Edited by Alanvogt, 31 July 2020 - 07:31 PM.

• steve t, Terra Nova, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#6196 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:22 AM

I got in some limited testing of the SP-C102 OTA with all those small clam-shells.  Once again, thin "lake clouds" at very low altitudes swept by on a strong N / NW breeze, then stacked-up near the Moon & planets.  I stayed out until 2300L to see if they'd move or break up... nope.  

So, seeing was erratic, and bounced from 5 to 8 & back.  An exercise in patience.  But the views did reward it.

I got 4 near-perfect star tests straight-through at 111x (OR9) on Arcturus, Vega, Deneb, & Altair.  False color was most noticeable with Arcturus, but less than my Dakin 4" F10.  Same test results using my Baader prism (as usual).  I checked the Newton Rings earlier, and the pattern was centered & perfectly circular, so the star tests weren't a surprise.

Waxing gibbous Moon limited my targets, but the moonglow wasn't as extensive in the drier air.  Epsilon Lyrae is a split + Figure 8 at 50x (OR20); and, a very nice double split at 125x (RKE & Brandon 8mm).  The most pleasant low power views were at 48x (RKE 21mm), and I grabbed as many open clusters as I could between clouds.

Based on what I saw, this C102 will do very well against my Dakin 4" F10.  

• steve t, PawPaw, oldmanastro and 2 others like this

#6197 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Messenger

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:41 AM

Finally an almost clear night with scattered clouds coming and going. I waited for the heaviest cloud cover to go and went outside later than usual with the Sears 60mm f/15 that has the Meade lens. Also took out my 12 years old Orion 150mm Mak hoping to get some images. The waxing moon was quite bright so I went for the planets. Jupiter was first with the 60mm. At 60x with the 15mm Plossl the view was crisp and clear. One satellite was transiting and the GRS was visible without difficulty. The best view was at 150x with the 6mm orthoscopic. Saturn was next and as usual it was a nice view at 150x with the Cassini division showing as well as atmospheric contrast. At this point I decided to exchange the Sears with the Carton 60mm f/17. There's no question about the Carton optics. I could go to 250x and still see details in Jupiter's atmosphere and a crisp Saturn. Another exchange took place. The Carton for the all original Sears 60mm f/15. The results could be described as in the middle between the Carton and the Sears with the non original Meade lens. Not bad for a Towa objective. 

After about an hour, scattered clouds passing by, and finally a clear sky at about 11:30am some images of Jupiter and Saturn were possible with the 150mm Mak. This time I decided to use my now vintage, for today's standard, Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 webcam. I modified this camera years ago for astrophotography. Some images of Jupiter and Saturn came through with some noise but ok. I closed shop at 1:00am looking at Mars with the 60mm f/15 still too low in the sky to show any detail in this scope. 

Clear Skies

Guido

• steve t, PawPaw, Bonco2 and 3 others like this

#6198 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:47 AM

classic orange tube c8

mars

Capture 8_1_2020 5_24_18 AMc8p.jpg

• davidmcgo, Pete W, clamchip and 13 others like this

#6199 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

Well done that is a beautiful shot of Mars.

Robert 

#6200 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:54 AM

Jupiter in the C102:  Details, Baby!  Details!

7 Belts, 3 White Ovals, & 2 Barges plus weaving strands within the NEB.  In (at best) 7 / 10 seeing.  False Color?  Oh, yeah.  The disk would go from off-white to yellow, and the purple limb grew & shrank with the changes in the low-level moisture content & associated moonglow.  

Hot & humid.  But I enjoyed the views so much, I didn't realize how long I'd sat at the eyepiece.  Dead air at the surface, and slow-moving at about 2000' MSL.  Near ideal for planetary -- only the variable transparency hurt performance.

Overall, my simpler eyepieces gave the sharpest views.  Saw the largest oval at 111x (OR9).  My .965" spectros 5mm Plossl was better at 200x than my Nagler 5mm.  Most comfortable views at 167x (OR6).  I did a couple of tests at 300x (75x / inch), but seeing wouldn't support it.

The Mizar Super Polaris tracked very well.  I only had to make occasional DEC corrections.  It took me a few minutes to get the balance right after Jupiter crossed the meridian, and I had to "flip" the scope.

This C102 is ready to take on my Dakin 4 -- for sure.

• steve t, deepwoods1, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics