•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
7449 replies to this topic

#7251 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:23 PM

The twin Goto is cooling off for its first session....looking forward to some doubles tonight.  In the meantime can I say I observed a apple tree in full bloom?  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210421_162645b.jpg

• davidmcgo, photiost, steve t and 11 others like this

#7252 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

That is an awesome looking setup PawPaw!

Enjoy!

Dave

The twin Goto is cooling off for its first session....looking forward to some doubles tonight.  In the meantime can I say I observed a apple tree in full bloom?  

• PawPaw likes this

#7253 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:26 PM

3 Fracs, 2 Mounts, & 1 Big Object:

Tak SC vs Mizar SP S02 (FULL).jpg

In order of Age before Beauty:  1970s Lafayette (Yamamoto) 60mm F7, the Little Green Machine; 1984 Takahashi FC-50 F8; late 1980s Celestron (Vixen) C80P.

I'm not a fan of lunar observing, so tonight was mainly a tracking comparison between the two motorized EQs.  But there's no doubt that the FC-50 is far superior to the re-branded Yamamoto AE-63, though both have about 400mm focal lengths.  On the Moon.  With double stars, both at 50x per inch... the 60's Airy Disks are equally sharp; and, depending on the stars, its color errors can be prettier than the fluorite's.

Tracking?  Overall, the Mizar MMD is the better system.  The Tak SC is fixed-rate.  The Mizar is variable, can switch hemispheres by flipping one toggle, and doesn't require the work-arounds the Tak needs -- like for lunar tracking.  OTOH, the SC is the better EQ mount, even though it's smaller than the Mizar.  Rigid, slick as greased lightning, and with a noticeably shorter damping time.

• photiost, steve t, semlin and 8 others like this

#7254 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:52 PM

When I started my session tonight the temp was 46 F 37% humidity and 5-10 north winds.  By 10 pm 36 F and 75% humidity calm winds.   My first session with my twin mounted Goto 80mm Semi-Apo's on the Mark-X mount.  I have owned one  since August but the new one dated from 1977 is first light so excited to test side by side on the Mark-x.  Alignment was easier than I thought using a small crater on the terminator of Luna.

Eyepieces used were two sets of .965 Goto 25mm, 12.5 and 6mm MH with recently cleaned diagonals.  

Mount was polar aligned with pulse RA motor in use.  A big plus to help out with the comparison.

Luna provided a fun comparison on CA and very faint blue was observed.  I took a few hand held cell pics but could not reproduce the sharpness of visual.

This was the first decent evening for viewing for over a couple of weeks.  I have been hesitant to setup recently with the Pollen however with the yellow powder finally waning it was time.   While not an ideal night with the moon for doubles,  I started early and enjoyed Luna before the brightness was too much for my eyes.  I had several doubles  written down but the two in Leo was a washout with the moon so I started with Gemini Castor.......sharp split with the 12.5.  Next I had to gander at Sirius before sinking below the tree line.  Just an amazing blue diamond and fun to star test on even though a little bright.  Ursa Major E straight above Leo was next nice white binary around 2.5 separation.  Of course Mizar was beckoning so I could not ignore.  Over to Arcturus for another star test and of course Izar's steel blue glow.  Finally I remembered Polaris mag 2 and 9 and was surprised I could see both with the moonlight.  All in all a successful side by side test........While I believe in optical bench testing I will say these two Goto's performed neck and neck.  I swapped eyepieces and prisms back and forth and ultimately concluded it was a tie.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210421_170119a.jpg
  • 20210421_170207a.jpg

Edited by PawPaw, 21 April 2021 - 11:55 PM.

• davidmcgo, photiost, Pete W and 8 others like this

#7255 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:47 PM

First Luna pic taken with MH 6mm .965.   Second taken with MH 12.5mm .965 both handheld cell...........and both scopes trained on Luna giving out some photons.

Cheers

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210421_195925a.jpg
  • 20210421_195738a.jpg
  • 20210421_202206a.jpg

• davidmcgo, photiost, steve t and 8 others like this

#7256 Alex65

Alex65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 57.29*N 4.16*W

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:35 AM

Another clear evening yesterday, so I again took out the AstroScan and observed the moon.

Seeing conditions were actually very good, probably better than 2, and I could resolve Clavius N and J so it was the right time to use the 3.6mm eyepiece.

I headed straight for the southern shores of the Mare Nubium and spent some time viewing the region around Bullialdus. Had a good view of the ghost craters either side; Lubiniezky to the north, Kies to the south. Mercator was in shadow but the Mercator Scarp stood out nicely. Following the scarp I too headed east and followed the shoreline to Hesiodus (I can resolve Hesiodus A but not, sadly, the inner ring), Pitatus and on to the giant Deslandres. Deslandres showed that white patch on its inner SE flank, near Lexell, that always intrigues me. Then back to Bullialdus via Thebit, Birt, Nicollet and Wolf.

Heading north I stopped off and viewed the Fra Mauro region. The terminator was just reaching the edge of the Riphaeus Mountains. Last stop was to see the high eastern slopes of the Promontorium Laplace lit up by the rising sun. The Sinus Iridum itself still lay in complete darkness. I'm always fascinated by the way the Bay of Rainbows seems to be tilted towards, I'm guessing, the west.

It is evenings like this, with such great viewing conditions, that I wish I had the money to buy a larger aperture 'scope. However, I'm never disappointed with the little AstroScan and it never fails to deliver fascinating low aperture views of the lunar surface.

• davidmcgo, photiost, steve t and 6 others like this

#7257 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

Could Goto make 'em, or what?!   A seller on ZEN had parted-out a Goto MARK X down to the ludicrous level...  Would like to compare the Mark X with the Vixen Saturn and Carton CST (sold in the USA as TV's System Mount).  I suspect the Goto would win.

• PawPaw and Defenderslideguitar like this

#7258 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

Could Goto make 'em, or what?!   A seller on ZEN had parted-out a Goto MARK X down to the ludicrous level...  Would like to compare the Mark X with the Vixen Saturn and Carton CST (sold in the USA as TV's System Mount).  I suspect the Goto would win.

It is a joy to use and I suspect your new Tak sky patrol has the same lineage.  I see a meetup in the future.....swamp, midwest or somewhere in between?

• Bomber Bob likes this

#7259 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

Moon with 1931 3.5" Fecker

IMG_9848s.jpg

• davidmcgo, highfnum, photiost and 12 others like this

#7260 Alex65

Alex65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 57.29*N 4.16*W

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:19 AM

Took a look at one of my favorite views on the moon early this morning, namely Cassini's Moon Maiden. This optical illusion appears around this time as the sun rises over the Promontorium Heraclides and the headland, and hills running towards the west, appears like a woman with flowing hair looking out across the Sinus Iridum. To me, however, she has always been the Moon Angel as to my eyes she looks like a Pre-Raphaelite Angel with long, thin wings behind her.

IMG_9736.JPG

Worst lunar photo ever taken (haven't gotten past the 'just stick a cheap camera over the lens' stage yet) but it just about shows the 'Moon Angel' this morning at around 0100am. Another couple of hours and the 'wings' would have been more elongated.

• photiost, steve t, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#7261 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:36 PM

Moon looks nice with the Fecker. Izar is tight but barely split. M13 super dim but grainy. M3 brighter but no resolution. I should clean the diagonal, that’d help
  • steve t, Bomber Bob and Bagwell like this

#7262 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

moon is ruling

meade 310

Capture 4_23_2021 9_34_21 PMm310.jpg

• photiost, Pete W, steve t and 6 others like this

#7263 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:38 AM

the bad boy dynamax 8

Capture 4_23_2021 10_13_57 PMdx8.jpg

• photiost, steve t, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#7264 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:42 AM

not sure if this counts but its old 

metrogon f6.3 like Dr Henry Paul used 

moon light reflected off that  lens

mtroncam.jpg

fc2_save_2021-04-23-232520-0000mtron.jpg

• photiost, clamchip, steve t and 6 others like this

#7265 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:47 PM

Last night I got the Edmund 4" out for a test run. The 706 mount wasn't tracking, which made things challenging. The motor was humming, but nothing was moving.

Quick look at M42 as it sank into the twilight muck. All four stars of the trap were obvious. But not a lot else. Swept through Auriga, picking up M36, 37, and 38, then over to M44, with a 32mm Plossl. All were quite nice. But, of course, the Moon was washing a lot out. Split Izar cleanly at 250X, with good color on both components. Mizar had a pleasant sparkle.

Having allowed a good deal of time for tube currents to settle, I went to Arcturus for a star test. Some SA was evident. Inside of focus the rings were sharp and round. Outside they were not as crisp. There is also a fair amount of CA at higher powers. But the extra aperture still did a good job of pulling in fainter stars in the clusters and revealing detail on the moon. Unless my cleaning of the goo from the spacers changed the spacing in a way that affected performance, I can't say that this is a scope I'd choose to keep over a good Unitron 152, but it is certainly good enough for taking to observing nights at school. It definitely looks impressive on the tall mount. 

As I was looking at the moon, the motor on the 706 began making an odd noise, which quit when I tapped on it. But then the mount started tracking. Maybe it was just stiff from not being used for a few years. So here are some of the obligatory mediocre cell phone images.

Schiller and Schickard, with CA evident at 250X. 

Edmund 4 - 1 (1).jpeg

Mare humorum and Gassendi, also at 250X, with less CA.

Edmund 4 - 2 (1).jpeg

Crop of Schickard at 375X. I really liked the way that the little peak in the sunlit window on the floor of the crater could be seen casting a shadow of its own, like a junior version of the long shadow cast by the tall peak in the crater rim. 

Edmund 4 - 3 (1).jpeg

At nearly 100X per inch, the view held up remarkably well. But the moon, as we know, is pretty forgiving. 

Chip W. 

Edited by ccwemyss, 24 April 2021 - 08:49 PM.

• photiost, Pete W, steve t and 8 others like this

#7266 Pete W

Pete W

Viking 1

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:55 AM

Had the Sears 76mm 6339a on the Mizar mount in the backyard last night testing out stability.  I don't have tripod legs better than those that came with the Tasco 10TE so I don't really have a way to objectively test settling time. Depending on the position of the scope - low east-west or pointed at the zenith - affects settling time by a couple of seconds.  Still, the setup is quite functional. 

With the moon up I "focused" on doubles mostly using the Ultima 7.5mm.  Seeing was pretty good for central Tx.   I always like hitting the three bright, uneven close doubles of this time of year - Theta Aur, delta Gem and epsilon Hya.    delta Gem was the easiest (and my fav of the three) & eps Hya the most challenging, but all three were split quite readily.    The secondary of eps Hya was essentially on the 1st diffraction ring, so mostly it looked like a brightening on the ring, but during moments its separate stellar nature was apparent. 

Headed to the triple12 Lyn.  Very cool!  With the 7.5mm, the Airy discs of the tight (1.8") even pair were separated by an ever-so-thin gap with the fainter more distant member still in the bunch.  This may be my favorite triple!

• photiost, steve t, rcwolpert and 8 others like this

#7267 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

Just got in from checking in on the sun with the 4" Newtonian and there is a nice cluster of spots near the center of the disk.

• photiost, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#7268 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 25 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

Just got in from checking in on the sun with the 4" Newtonian and there is a nice cluster of spots near the center of the disk.

Thanks for the heads-up!  I still had my FC-50 & SYW 60 F7 on the SC EQ out in the shed.  Cool to: 1. Finally see some spots; and, 2. Compare Views with 2 short fracs.

• steve t and rcwolpert like this

#7269 godelescher

godelescher

Mariner 2

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:54 PM

Worst First!

I'm 9 minutes into my first light with the Carton 80 (On the GP because the Carton mount only has one worm screw at the moment). It's clear for the first time in weeks, but it's super windy, getting cold, seeing just sucks and it's actually still daylight. The moon is up and I'm impatient.

I'm looking through about 500 miles of atmosphere, so the the moon shimmies and wobbles like a drunk flameco dancer. Every minute or two, a gust of wind knocks over ceramic planters on the porch. The kids next door went inside because it was cold. These are kids who think it's a good decision to wear shorts in February. My dog, who is bred from a long line of dogs that did their best, most doggiest work in the snow, whined at the door asking to go in so he could warm up, and then asked for treats because that's what happens when he comes in from outside (his forefathers would be ashamed), but there I am, in twilight, looking at a wobbly moon and dressed like Nanook of the North in late April.

I'm out there like a colorblind idiot with a purple tripod, a green mount, and a blue trimmed telescope because no two things I own are working correctly at the same time, but you know what? I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm about to head back out there because I'm stupid and the conditions are simply bad, but it's still immense fun.

The wind is trying to rip the gutters off the house and my dog said, "no, thank you," just now when I said, "C'mon, let's go back outside," but I'm headed back out anyway.

I love astronomy. I swear it's not even dark yet.

• davidmcgo, D_talley, steve t and 7 others like this

#7270 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

Current sunspot group with the TV Genesis.

Attached Thumbnails

• B52939A8-B9BD-423B-BF97-3129E034EE81.jpeg

Edited by Compressorguy, 26 April 2021 - 02:15 PM.

• photiost, steve t, mdowns and 5 others like this

#7271 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

I did walk outside this morning with my 1st cup of coffee & my Kanger e-ciggy (10 yrs ago, that would've been a Marlboro), to see if it would be worth toting the C80 down to the SW corner of the back yard...  Nope!  100% Clear overhead, but Swamp Haze hanging on the southern horizon.  Could make out Saturn only because I knew exactly where to look, and Jupiter wasn't much easier.  What a shame!  We're having an unusually Cool Spring - the birds were in a chirping frenzy!

• steve t, Terra Nova, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#7272 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

Tried out the RV6 with the original eyepieces + Barlow. 30mm AR needs ridiculous amount of back focus, focuser drawtubes are about to fall out. Izar is an easy split, Mizar/Alcor is nice, M3 looks pretty good, Moon is pretty.

IMG_9952.jpeg

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#7273 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:26 PM

I just came in from admiring the beautiful full moon with my 71 1/2 y.o. classic ojos! It was Super on this warm spring night!

Attached Thumbnails

• 880AF61D-F7FA-4B36-ACB3-4E61B3F6D3ED.jpeg

• photiost, Corcaroli78, Compressorguy and 6 others like this

#7274 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:01 PM

I tried backing the retaining ring out a bit on the Edmund 4". The glass now rattles easily in the cell, so perhaps a bit too much. Ran another star test, using Epsilon Leonis. The rings outside of focus were a bit more distinct. Still seems overcorrected though - much sharper inside of focus. I also think the CA was a bit less on Mizar and the moon. This leads me to think that perhaps removing the goo from under the spacers narrowed the gap, so I may try putting in a set of slightly thicker ones. Izar split well at 250X and very clearly at 375X. I also looked at Mars approaching conjunction with M35, getting them in the same view with a 32mm Plossl. Mars was hazy - the Edmund prism probably needs cleaning (there was haze visible with the moon shining through). No real surface detail, even at 375X, but also getting low over my roof. M35 showed hundreds of faint stars, despite the glow of the moon. 

Several days of rain in the forecast, so I'll be doing shop work for a while. 

Chip W. 

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Paul Sweeney like this

#7275 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:48 AM

Fun times with the FC-50 & SYW 60 F7 on the TAK SC EQ last night.

Before Moonrise:  Bright views of M35 & doubles in waning Gemini at 20x & 50x.  Even better with the Beehive, M67, & Cancer to Lynx to UMaj doubles.

BRIGHT Moon with wispy clouds from NE to SW; some were shaped like ghostly fingers -- would've suited Halloween much better.

• photiost, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics