•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 320 by Mizar

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

Here ya go.  I'm always a fan of ground up since it gives me some place to build on. The tray with two good spreaders, two good leg hubs, and the shattered hub, will be bagged. The chain is left over from a previous Penncrest that I finally found the original Hobby #2 stainless sash chain for. It is plenty long enough to attach to any desired location with some nice hooks installed on the legs.

EDIT: Hmmm, the tripod looks a little too good in the photo. It does have pleasant signs of nostalgic patina in person.

I want to skip around the mount for a sec since this OTA assembly has been sitting on end since yesterday and I have two hounds. I kind of hope the OTA entry will horrify (in a good way) some here when I tell you what I used on the objective, no it wasn't Brillo Pads, but.....

Attached Thumbnails

• P2010040.JPG
  • P2010039.JPG

Edited by apfever, 01 February 2016 - 06:09 PM.

• DMala likes this

#27 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

Onion juice?

#28 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

LOL, onion, mmmm.

Maybe this has been tried and true, but not by me and it freaked the creepies out of me testing it.  It worked great and didn't touch the coating one bit. No issues at all. 

The inside crown (which was exposed from flipping when I got it) had a tenacious film of I don't know what. Neither the Zeiss lens kit or heavy alcohol would touch it, not water soluble, wouldn't come off.  The Goof took three sets of clean, then Zeiss, then micro polish cloth, then assemble only to see more in the dark tunnel setting. It cleaned up great.  I took both the lens photos with a flash for a bit more caustic view. It's still not perfect from other typical wipe that shows up installed, but minor and nothing to do with the gunk. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P2010050.JPG
  • P2010044.JPG
  • P2010041.JPG

• DMala likes this

#29 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Yep, Sharpie cover, YAHHHHH.  It's fine, it's mine.

The OTA has no dents, dings, or gouges, but yeowww was it scratched, and had some scum that was probably the same on the lens. My typical soap and water wash, followed by cleaning with Goof OFF, then wiped down with a few drops of machine oil while it was still soft from the Goof Off, then left to dry over night. 

It didn't have a dew shield when I got it. I found this cap that fits the cell great with a felt lining. I'm all ears for a household dew shield as nothing here has fit yet.  

All is excellent on the focuser end and finder brackets.

Attached Thumbnails

• P2010043.JPG
  • P2010048.JPG
  • P2010049.JPG

Edited by apfever, 01 February 2016 - 06:11 PM.

• Chassetter, Bomber Bob and DMala like this

#30 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

I had one once. Great scope! Same as clearwaterdave's I think.

Attached Thumbnails

• oct 10, 2008 065.jpg

• Chassetter and DMala like this

#31 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

That's all for this one. Did the 'Refractors in front of the Fireplace' happen last holiday season? Mine heats the whole house.

The mount was in great shape. Cleaned it and put a few drops of machine oil in the shaft lock holes.

We now have a snow storm, not above freezing for a few days at least, single digit nights, typical for a scope's first light. I'll let this stay in the room till a clear night, then it stows elsewhere. One down, 58.5 to go.

Attached Thumbnails

• P2010002.JPG
  • P2010004.JPG

• Chassetter, TOM KIEHL and DMala like this

#32 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:01 AM

I just walked back inside from a very exciting evening of observations in my short hobby astronomer's career..... a few days ago I removed the grille and the bug screen from a tall dining room window facing one of the few small open sky spots to the South. Today just before dinner it was drizzling, but around 22h I noticed it was clearing up, so I peeked out of the window and there was a bright object in view.... I quickly moved the Meade 320 in position and noticed the object had four moons. However, Skysafari on my tablet was showing I think Vega in that position...uhmmmmm I switched to Google SkyMap and confirmed it was Jupiter, right in front of me! Later I realized that I had SkySafari's clock set to a couple days ago...duh!  Therefore I decided to try from the comfort of my dining room a comparison of the Mizar-made Meade320 on Mizar mount + wobbly tripod  (with the 320 freshly collimated) versus the TV Pronto on the sturdy Panorama mount+wood tripod. To make a long story short at higher magnifications I realized that being inside was a handicap, and decided to take advantage of a humane work day that did not fry my brain and of the mild temperature for the season, and continue outside.

The Meade 320 had the 1.5" Baader prism  diagonal, the Pronto had the stock 2" TV diagonal with reducer to 1.5" eyepieces (EPs).

The eyepiece sequence was the same for the two telescopes:

- target location with a TV 20mm Plossl (Pronto) or a Meade 25mm MA (320)

- TV 2x Barlow + Baader 10mm Classic Ortho  (96X for the Pronto, 180x for the Meade 320)

- TV 2x Barlow + Unitron OR 6mm  (160X for the Pronto, 300x for the Meade 320)

I got the impression that both scopes handled equally well the highest magnifications. I could very easily see the N and S belts, and to me the N cap seemed slightly darker than the South one. As I was unfamiliar with the features of Jupiter, I did not specifically look for other details. To see the moons opening the way to the planet flying across the FoV was really nice. With the Barlow + Unitron OR 6mm I could see the same detail or maybe a hair more than the OR10mm, due to the larger size of the image without loss of clarity. I would like to try again in order to confirm it, but the higher magnification of the Meade 320 allowed me to see more planet details than the Pronto, as the optical quality did not deteriorate with magnification. This is a difference due to design not to quality. Despite the PITA wobbles of the Meade 320 skinny tripod every time I repositioned the FoV, with the OR10mm+Barlow I could still have 15-20" of stable view if I did my part setting the object trajectory across the FoV center.

That was really fun, I also made a couple sketches. Time to go now, goodnight!

Edited by DMala, 02 February 2016 - 01:03 AM.

• member010719 likes this

#33 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:26 AM

First light for the 320 since putting it together Monday.  The optics performed nice, the temperature was in the teens so it was a quickie for sure. I only did Jupiter before I realized I was trying to work with Finger Pops. Jupe was only 20 degrees up but it showed the optics to be assembled correctly with no halo of a flip glass or assembly. I still had a nice planet with banding and a clean Io which is pretty close right now.  Something more critical later perhaps, just cold and late now. I remember the image being quite nice the first time I flipped the crown around in the field and that was before cleaning the gunk off.

• TOM KIEHL and DMala like this

#34 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

I am basically done with the painting of the dew shield after taking out the ding. I made an internet search and found a reference to Rustoleum Navy Blue and Krylon Regal Blue as close (but not perfect) matches to an unspecified Meade blue (as I bet it changed over time). Locally I found the Krylon Regal Blue + primer, and decided to try it out as I was not in the mood for further searches. First I applied to the touch-up area Rustoleum etching primer. Then 3 coats of the color. Sanding was done as recommended on a separate thread I opened. You can tell the refinished area is lighter, but from the distance it blends in acceptably well. If I ever have the time to find a better match I can always redo it. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade 320_16.jpg
  • Meade 320_17.jpg

• Chassetter and Bomber Bob like this

#35 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

Wow!  That's a great looking restore!

#36 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

Thanks, well for full disclosure I will take a picture showing the color difference by the repair, but yes overall it looks nice.  I got an idea for a non-permanent easy fix to the skinny tripod legs, have to work on it next.....

#37 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

And here is a close-up, obviously I can not even remotely compete with the master refinishers on this forum, and work in a body shop is not a viable alternative career at this time......... but again much better than a  ding with cracked paint! I wonder if the coarser texture over the original paint may be due to the primer combo mix of the paint can I found. The area that I sanded down and primed actually came reasonably smooth.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade 320_18.jpg

#38 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Venus, Mercury - and Earth, in a Meade 320, 80mm by Mizar. This was a test for the scope since being refurbished. I chilled it in the garage for the night, it was freezing this morning. The mechanics worked excellent since I worked in a few drops of light machine oil on the Dec and RA axis. Slo-Mo floppies were great, axis locks held with smooth action and no shift in position when turned. The Mizar mount is a nice piece of work.  I had to rush the view to get them all in, and since this was a test I only used two eyepieces, a Meade (nostalgia) series 4000 Japan 32mm and 6.4mm for a push. Best views would have been about a 10 to 13mm.  I had to slam these as I used both eyepieces on each, back and forth a couple of times, and wanted to do a sweep from Mercury back to Jupiter before closing which worked.

Jupiter was a matter of clear banding with only two moons in the field with the 6.4mm.   Clean break on Saturn rings which were surprising considering the skies, certainly no division. The rings were pretty nice. Mars tried to do some caps but I'll only go so far as to say averted imagination for the whitey edge. Venus and Mercury were both in a wash and since they are both gibbous they didn't give much form. However, I did get distinct disc compared to focused stars.

A star test with the 6.4mm gave a distinct diffraction ring at focus but it was broken and wavering from the seeing. Inside/outside focus wasn't going to reveal much.

I'm pretty darn happy with this scope. What a great morning experience with 6 planets.

Edited by apfever, 10 February 2016 - 09:00 AM.

• Chassetter, TOM KIEHL and BillShakes like this

#39 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hi

I wish I could do pictures on a computer, but too stupid, plus I do not have the proper equipment. I have a MINT, MINT, looks like it was made yesterday, Meade 310 on the altaz mount. The optics on this scope are actually better than any vintage C-80 I have owned, and I have owned three of them. It just does not seem right, that some telescope companies dis-continue making the best scopes that they made. They start to make cheaper copies from China, and you are forced to buy an expensive ED, to get the image quality that you got from these great vintage scopes from Japan.

• wfj, catboat, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#40 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:39 PM

Why stupid? The point you made is very clear even without pictures!  :grin:

#41 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

I have a ... Meade 310 on the altaz mount. The optics on this scope are actually better than any vintage C-80 I have owned, and I have owned three of them.

Me too, but with a 312. Better than the Celestron Premium 80, and the Vixen Voyager as well. It's the only 80mm I've held onto.

I've also had many other Towa's as well as Nihon Seiko in this category. It's still an achro, mind you, but its remarkable - often compare it to my favorite long achro Nippon Kogaku, and it's able to pull out details of Jupiter a bit more with its 80mm.

This is the first I've heard of a similar mention.

#42 mak17

mak17

Apollo

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

I had one once. Great scope! Same as clearwaterdave's I think.

This is a Towa, not a Mizar. 

#43 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

Well, with some patience and a lot of luck, a year later, I located a correct polar alignment scope for the nice Mizar mount of my Meade 320! I had no clue what to look for until recently, when I found a local Craigslist ad for a Taiwan-made Orion Skyview Deluxe 90mm, which has a (presumably) Taiwanese-made version of the same mount of the Meade 320.  The Orion Skyview came with a like-new polar scope and a set of filters. After considering for a while to try to buy the mount with accessories but without the OTA, and hearing some suggestions from forum members about heavier mounts, I decided to make an offer only for the polar scope and filters, which was accepted.

I got it today and it fits like a glove! So now my setup is quite complete.... except for a motorized drive.... does anyone have tips on how to identify the correct one? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade 320_21.jpg
  • Mizar Polar Scope.jpg

• Deven Matlick, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#44 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

Is this what  your looking for ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 025.JPG

• Deven Matlick and DMala like this

#45 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, I do not know, does it fit and work properly with a Meade 320 gem mount? I have never found a description or specs of what the correct motor should be. Later I will look more in detail at what you have

#46 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

This is whats on my mount and it looks a lot like yours.

Attached Thumbnails

• 026.JPG

• DMala likes this

#47 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

I always thought mine was a Mizar mount but it sure looks like yours. I know i have a photo somewhere but cant find the sd card its on, but when i do i will post a pic.

• DMala likes this

#48 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Walter a, which telescope and mount is your drive coming from? If your drive is available please PM me Thx.

I am doing some more research based on the assumption (which worked for the polar scope) that the Orion Skyview Deluxe 90mm mount is the same as the Meade 320. From the manual the similarities are evident:

http://www.telescope.../29093_9-98.pdf

Based on the manual, this is the motor drive:   Orion AccuTrack SVD, #7825, and it is shown here:

http://www.astromart...ified_id=695280

It looks different from Walter a's,  but maybe this is due to the different brand?

#49 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:44 AM

Couple of pics

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1532.JPG
  • DSCN1543.JPG

• Deven Matlick, leveye, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#50 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

I always thought mine was a Mizar mount

I think production of these very similar Hino / Kenko / Mizar mounts moved from Japan to Taiwan to China in the early 1990s, though I suspect Celestron, Meade, & Orion continued to market them a bit longer, which muddled the market -- sorta like the original Towa EQ-2 mounts of the 1970s.

• walter a and DMala like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics