•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

KOWA Highlander Prominar versus APM 100-45 ED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
304 replies to this topic

#26 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

I guess the Kowa using Fluorite helps to partly compensate for the smaller aperture. This was mentioned in the report from the late Milton Wilcox.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#27 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:53 AM

.....and from www.Binomania.it translated by Google....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#28 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

First night out :-)

Sometimes cloudy but supposed to get better.

The first things I have noticed. I looked at the Trapezium stars in Orion. The center of the FOV of the KOWA is very sharp. I compared it with the APM 100-45 ED with the 17.3 Delos (magnification 31.8x). The Kowa is sharper.

The APM goes a little "deeper" and the edge is much sharper than the Kowa.

For the rest I have noticed that it seems easier with the Kowa to see colour differences between stars. I noticed it straight away. Very surprising. More testing has to be done.

Certainly because I've noticed a slight colour difference between the Trapezium stars (Theta 1 Orionis and the others). Never noticed that. Had to check on SkySafari 5 if there's a difference between them. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#29 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Looking at double star HD 60997 and HD 60998 in Messier 47. In the Kowa an easy split, the APM as well but slightly slightly less clear.

The Kowa has a little better contrast.

Edited by Allardk, 04 February 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#30 trener

trener

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

Star splittin is not better because of contrast. The most important thing is better control of astigmatism and spherical aberration

#31 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

The contrast is a seperate remark :-)

Just checked Jupiter, Was still low. Nevertheless good. Nice colors again, the two bands were easy to see.

Overall I am pleasantly surprised by the Kowa......

Edited by Allardk, 04 February 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#32 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

Thinking about selling the APM's yet :-)

#33 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

I completed the Astronomical League Double Star program with the Kowa, except Delta Leonis. Sketched them all.

Other doubles at 32x : 36 Oph and Castor.

#34 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

No :-)

The APM with the Docters are amazing too. They go a bit deeper, so they are the ones to be used from my balcony on the edge of Budapest. Edge performance with the Docters is extremely good as well. The Kowas lack this.

This tiny Kowa for sure can keep up ! The smaller aperture will be easily compensated when using it in a dark area. So they will be the ones I take on the road or airline. In certain areas (center FOV sharpness, colour transmission, contrast) it shines. 

Today its smaller size came out handy. As Jupiter was still low, I could not see it from the house. I just took the Kowas accross the street and looked for 10 minutes. 

If you were to buy one BT, I would say buy the APM. It just has more options and aperture. If you need a smaller BT for travelling etc. the Kowa is the one. And if you are spoiled like me....buy both :-)

More testing will follow, but this first impression is a good one...

Edited by Allardk, 04 February 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#35 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

I completed the Astronomical League Double Star program with the Kowa, except Delta Leonis. Sketched them all.

Other doubles at 32x : 36 Oph and Castor.

I start to understand why....the center is very sharp ! 

#36 John F

John F

Apollo

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

Allardk, on 03 Feb 2016 - 2:17 PM, said:

It seems most Kowa owners use the 32x most of the time.

Could this be because the Kowa Highlanders come with standard with a pair of eyepieces which provide 32x magnification?  If want the optional pair of eyepieces which provide 21x they will cost an additional $1350.  And if you want the optional pair of eyepieces which provide 50x those will cost $1100.

If I invested nearly $5000 to acquire in a pair of Kowa Highlander Prominars I'd certainly want to be able to get the most use value I could out of them and thus would also want to also have pairs of the extra eyepieces provide the 21x & 50x power options.  But adding those two pairs of eyepieces pushes the cost up to almost $7500 so that's one of the reasons I've never sprung for a pair of the Kowa Highlanders although I've toyed with idea several times over the past 12 years. 

If APM brings out a 80mm ED version of their APM 100 ED binocular which works well and allows you to use standard 1.25-inch eyepieces (e.g., Tele Vue Naglers, Panoptics, DeLites, etc) with it then I think that would sell very well if they can establish and maintain a high quality performance and build quality reputation for it. 

John Finnan

#37 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:50 AM

Maybe...but I read people who own all 3 pairs still like the 32x the most....

For sure they are expensive, too expensive it seems.

The Highlander Prominar prices dropped to about 3600 euro (4000 US Dollars) in Europe. Still a lot of money.

If APM would do what you suggest Kowa would have a problem :-)

#38 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:59 AM

When I last looked though the Highlanders I also preferred the 32x. I think it has a lot to do with that magnification puts the exit pupil in the 2-3mm range which for a lot of people (including myself) seems to provide the best balance of resolution and brightness.

That is probably one of the reasons I love my 12.5mm Docters so much :-)

-Matt

#39 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

First night out :-)

Sometimes cloudy but supposed to get better.

For the rest I have noticed that it seems easier with the Kowa to see colour differences between stars. I noticed it straight away. Very surprising. More testing has to be done.

Certainly because I've noticed a slight colour difference between the Trapezium stars (Theta 1 Orionis and the others). Never noticed that. Had to check on SkySafari 5 if there's a difference between them. 

I saw this when I compared the semi-APO APM binos with the new APO version. The star colors were less saturated in the APO. My first thought is that the semi-APO's were adding color to the view via the chromatic aberration. Perhaps that is not the reason...

Also, you are allowing the 100's to cool down, right? Being larger they will take longer to reach thermal equilibrium.

---

Michael Mc

#40 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:42 AM

I let both cool down. The APM cools down fast, the Kowa needs a bit more. I guess because the Kowa is relatively heavy/sturdy/thick.

The Kowa doesn't add colour, but you see them slightly better. In the Doulble cluster with the Kowa I could easily find the red super giant stars, in the APM they were just a bit less easy to find. I noticed straight away when looking through the Kowa the colour differences were easy to notice. I wasn't looking for it, I realized it when looking.

#41 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

When I last looked though the Highlanders I also preferred the 32x. I think it has a lot to do with that magnification puts the exit pupil in the 2-3mm range which for a lot of people (including myself) seems to provide the best balance of resolution and brightness.

That is probably one of the reasons I love my 12.5mm Docters so much :-)

-Matt

Me too :-)

As the Kowa performs so good on planets, I will buy the 50x eyepieces. I feel the APM performs so well with the Docters, that I use them for the highest magnification....

#42 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

Note that the Kowas have the earlier reported off axis ghosting (Milton Wilcox). A bright object outside the center FOV will create a "ghost". Panning around Sirius, I didn't notice it. Aiming around a bright lamp I could see the "ghost". So it is there, but not really bothering.

Mr. Bill might not like that  ;)

Edited by Allardk, 05 February 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#43 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

The Kowas do appear to have interior baffles, though.  Even with baffling, some off axis "ghosts" may still appear under certain circumstances but they aren't as obvious as they are in a bino that has none.

Rich

#44 SMark

SMark

Skylab

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

Imagine if Docter offered the 40x80 ED Aspectem with 45° or 90°...  :hmm:

#45 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

Imagine if Docter offered the 40x80 ED Aspectem with 45° or 90°...  :hmm:

IMAGINE if Docter offered the 40x80 ED with a 50% discount to boost sales. :like:

Stan

#46 camvan

camvan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

speaking the Aspectem 40x80's...are there any English reviews? a lot gets lost in translation for the foreign language reviews I know of.  :question:

#47 SMark

SMark

Skylab

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Search the archives here.

#48 camvan

camvan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

hey SMARK, I'm not familiar with what you call the 'archives'.

do you mean just past articles in general? under the mini-review thread, there are two entries for the Nobilem's, no Aspectem's.

thanks for the clarification and hand holding.  :rolleyes:

#49 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

The Kowas do appear to have interior baffles, though.  Even with baffling, some off axis "ghosts" may still appear under certain circumstances but they aren't as obvious as they are in a bino that has none.

Rich

Correct. It isn't a major issue. Certainly not a dealbreaker....

#50 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

For a review of the Docter Aspectem check Binomania. Google it and then use Google Translate.

If Docter would make a 45 or 90 degree version .....

:lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics