•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Swift Registry Reboot

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#251 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

What’s up with the registry? Yesterday and today, when I click on the link I get the following CN error message:

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#10173]
We could not find the attachment you were attempting to view.

#252 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

I don’t know. I’ll try to figure it out this evening when I am at a real computer.

#253 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

I couldn't figure out what happened to the last version. Here is an update.

Attached Files

• astro140, Chuck Hards and Terra Nova like this

#254 PAGilbert

PAGilbert

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

Hi, I just wanted to add my Swift 831 to the registry. It's D=77, F=1000 No. 613193.

thanks

Robin

• CharlieB, Ken Sturrock, Chuck Hards and 1 other like this

#255 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

Welcome to the forum.  The 831s are wonderful scopes.  A photo, perhaps?

Charlie

• shredder1656 and PAGilbert like this

#256 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

Hi, I just wanted to add my Swift 831 to the registry. It's D=77, F=1000 No. 613193.

thanks

Robin

Welcome to Swiftdom. Thanks for the serial number, If you want to add any additional information (Where you found it? Is it complete? Where are you (generally) located? Anything unusual or special?) then please post here or drop me a PM.

Thanks.

In other news, I had my 838 setup outside of Chamberlin Observatory last night. It held its own against the 20" Clark. wink.gif

• Chuck Hards, levidog2, Esso2112 and 2 others like this

#257 PAGilbert

PAGilbert

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

Hello from the NorthWest. Thank you for the warm welcome. This Swift 831 was my Grandfathers. It has been in storage for 40 years and has all original parts, booklet, and case. 

IMG_0289.jpg

• astro140, Ken Sturrock, Chuck Hards and 4 others like this

#258 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

Wow! That's wonderful. Complete and a family heirloom!

• PAGilbert likes this

#259 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:17 AM

Update for May. Includes Robin's 831 and the recent EBay 839.

Attached Files

• Chuck Hards likes this

#260 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

Hello from the NorthWest. Thank you for the warm welcome. This Swift 831 was my Grandfathers. It has been in storage for 40 years and has all original parts, booklet, and case. 

attachicon.gif IMG_0289.jpg

That’s beautiful and having been your grandfather’s scope and been in the family all those years makes it all the more wonderful. Hopefully it will stay in the fam’ for  generations to come and continue to add memories.

#261 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

IMG_0289.jpg

As Terra said, awesome scope regardless. However, having been your granddad's makes an amazing scope truly priceless. Very cool.

I recently was blessed enough to track down my grandfather's scope too. It has been sold at an auction, and appeared to have disappeared into memory only. However, it is back home now, and just as it was when my grandpa and my dad used it 50 years ago. Not a Swift, but a SPI 60mm f20.

Congrats, and good job hanging onto your family's astronomical heirloom.

Edited by shredder1656, 18 May 2018 - 11:31 AM.

• Terra Nova and PAGilbert like this

#262 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:07 AM

I picked up this little-seen Swift accessory thanks to the generosity of another CN Classics lover.  First one I've ever handled.  It's a Swift .965" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter, with Swift compression-lock for the eyepiece.  So you can use those nice Swift eyepieces in big American-made Newtonians.  It's a nice piece of work, though does add a half inch of height that a standard adapter (the black one seen in the pic) doesn't.   

Adapter 004.jpg  Adapter 003.jpg

Adapter 002.jpg  Adapter 001.jpg

Adapter 005.jpg

• Ken Sturrock, AlanSheppard, walter a and 4 others like this

#263 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

I've got to get an adapter like that. Someday I'd love to assemble the correct hardware so that I could use my 40mm 0.965-barrel Swift Huygenian eyepiece in Chamberlin's 20" Clark.

No practical reason to do so, just a chance to build a silly light funnel.

#264 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

• Loc: Blaine, Washington

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

OK fellow Swift lovers! I recently purchased an 831 OTA from a chap that bought it originally from the Charles Frank company in Glasgow Scotland in 1965 (he was only 13 at the time). The OTA is perfect in every way thanks to a very picky former owner. When he bought the telescope he opted for the Franks GEM on a pier. When his family immigrated to Canada in the 70's he was only able to bring the OTA, eyepieces, and other assorted optical accessories as the mount and pier were to heavy for them to transport. 

I also picked up an original case that Roscoe (thanks Russ) had for sale but am still missing a mount and pier/legs to complete the kit. I put an ad in the classified section but didn't have any luck. I am putting this out there and asking if anyone has or knows where I can find one of these for sale. It would be a shame to have to continuing using my 10TE mount to use this as it really deserves to have original equipment. I'll try to get some photos of it set up with the Tasco mount, actually works great but looks a bit odd.

Clear skies,

Frank

• Esso2112 likes this

#265 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

I've got to get an adapter like that. Someday I'd love to assemble the correct hardware so that I could use my 40mm 0.965-barrel Swift Huygenian eyepiece in Chamberlin's 20" Clark.

No practical reason to do so, just a chance to build a silly light funnel.

212X with the Swift 40mm (or any 40mm eyepiece) in the Chamberlain Clark.  8.5 meter focal length!  2.3mm exit pupil!

WIKI list of largest optical refractors in the world.  

You're a fortunate man to be certified to operate a telescope on that short list, Ken.  Congrats!

#266 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

You're a fortunate man to be certified to operate a telescope on that short list, Ken.  Congrats!

It's quite a fun instrument to use and I'm proud to be the latest in a long line of operators extending back to Herbert Howe.

Our observatory director, Robert Stencil, does enforce a formal mentoring process, so I have to give a shout-out to my DAS colleagues who showed me the ropes: Joe Kozic, July Candia, Doug Dreher, Brad Gilman & Rich Loper.

Back to the Swift topic, though, I've started to use the 838 as a prop to demonstrate the components of a telescope to the guests before we proceed up to the Chamberlin dome room. It's kind of neat that the 838 has a similar shape as the 20" Clark and I think it helps the guests understand what they see upstairs. I also set it up outside the observatory and evangelize when I can.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#267 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

Now all you need is that photo of a Swift eyepiece in the focuser.  waytogo.gif

#268 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

My new Swift 831 sn 663031 for the registry-great condition needs mount and legs-not the greatest photos my camera is dyingfrown.gif need to invest in camera instead of more scopes, wife's orders.

swift Sn 663031

New swift Sn 663031 4

New swift Sn 663031 2

New swift Sn 663031 3

• CharlieB, roscoe, Ken Sturrock and 4 others like this

#269 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

Frank, your post got me thinking about my 831 and I decided to take it out back last night, a rare clear Saturday night. 

It's my fourth or fifth, and I recently completed the OTA restoration.  It came to me as a box full of loose parts, broken dew cap, missing a few small parts that I've had to fabricate.  The OTA is done except for some new cross-hairs for the finder.  It looks almost factory-new now.   

The mount needs some cosmetic work, a good cleaning and re-lube, though it is now fully functional and complete as to parts.  I think it a mid-production model (serial number 623027).  The round spacey slow-motion knobs are cast aluminum, not molded plastic as on later serial numbered 831's I've owned.  It's in pieces however, so last night I pulled-out one of my "workhorse" mounts, an Edmund 5/8" shaft GEM with factory RA drive, on a very tall, home-made tripod designed for long refractors.  It also has a special machined adapter that holds a Vixen dovetail shoe, so I can use any OTA with a Vixen dovetail rail.

Here's some glamour shots of the OTA after restoration, some of you may remember these.

831 04 011.jpg  831 04 015.jpg  831 04 010.jpg

I got it set up just as the sun was setting and took a couple of shots in the last minutes of daylight.  Using Orion tube rings to attach the tube to the Vixen rail.

831 04 029.jpg  831 04 027.jpg  831 04 028.jpg  831 04 030.jpg  

I used a 1.25" dielectric mirror diagonal & the Vixen 1.25" adapter.  Venus in a bright blue sky with the sun not down very far, was an amazing little chunky gibbous, very bright but clearly defined and very little color fringing.   That immediately brought a smile to my face.  This lens tests very good under DPAC and I've run-up the power with it before with no problems.  I was expecting good things.  The transparancy was good, no clouds, but the seeing wasn't terrific.  I waited for Jupiter to gain some altitude by seeking out M13.  Too easy, visible in the nice air-spaced 40mm finder.  Very nice in the main scope at 62.5X with the UO 16mm Widescan.  M57 was just visible through the light pollution, but became obvious with a Celestron broadband LPR filter.  Castor was a perfect, clean double.  Polaris split easily.  Finally back to Jupiter.  Wow, noticeably more detail than with a 60mm scope, and brighter image.  I first spent some time with a 9mm volcano-top ortho, then the UO 10.2mm mushroom-top.  Excellent views at 111X & 98X.  Desiring a larger eye lens, I tried the Orion 3X Tri-Mag Barlow in combination with a UO 24mm Konig-II Zebra.  Barlow positioned behind the diagonal so I got a true 3X factor for 125X.  This produced a nice image scale for even smaller detail, as well as some decent eye relief.  But I could tell that I had hit the seeing limit for the night as any higher power made the image larger but contributed no more detail.  I've used the scope at around 150X so know what it's capable of when the seeing permits.  Still, not a bad night from the suburbs and the fact that it coincided with a night I could stay-up past sundown was  too good to be true.

I hope to finish the work on the mount one of these years and then the box needs attention, but the OTA is fantastic and I'm already considering this a good rescue and save.  

The 60mm scopes are terrific if you have dark skies but just that little bump up to a 3-inch aperture makes a noticeable difference, especially under less than ideal skies.

• astro140, Ken Sturrock, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#270 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

I would like to register my charming Swift 60mm Model 839. Serial Number 62006. I have posted a video about this scope here:

https://www.youtube....kUC-UGDX_E&t=4s

I also have a video about my previously registered 50mm here:

https://www.youtube....omaCHX3HNs&t=1s

If you are a Swift lover, you may want to check out the videos. Hope you enjoy!

- Dave

• Ken Sturrock, Chuck Hards, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#271 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

Here's the latest update, to include Frank's new 831, Chuck's glamour shots and Dave's new ownership of 62006. Corrections and additions always welcome.

Attached Files

• Chuck Hards, Terra Nova and levidog2 like this

#272 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

I got lucky and was able to pick up good mount from a fellow CN'er, thanks Dave Trott, now my orphan 831 is almost complete all that is left are the legs and eyepiece holder/tripod support.

Clear Skies !

Frank

• Ken Sturrock, Chuck Hards, Esso2112 and 1 other like this

#273 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

Frank, your post got me thinking about my 831 and I decided to take it out back last night, a rare clear Saturday night.

It's my fourth or fifth, and I recently completed the OTA restoration. It came to me as a box full of loose parts, broken dew cap, missing a few small parts that I've had to fabricate. The OTA is done except for some new cross-hairs for the finder. It looks almost factory-new now.

The mount needs some cosmetic work, a good cleaning and re-lube, though it is now fully functional and complete as to parts. I think it a mid-production model (serial number 623027). The round spacey slow-motion knobs are cast aluminum, not molded plastic as on later serial numbered 831's I've owned. It's in pieces however, so last night I pulled-out one of my "workhorse" mounts, an Edmund 5/8" shaft GEM with factory RA drive, on a very tall, home-made tripod designed for long refractors. It also has a special machined adapter that holds a Vixen dovetail shoe, so I can use any OTA with a Vixen dovetail rail.

Here's some glamour shots of the OTA after restoration, some of you may remember these.

831 04 011.jpg 831 04 015.jpg 831 04 010.jpg

I got it set up just as the sun was setting and took a couple of shots in the last minutes of daylight. Using Orion tube rings to attach the tube to the Vixen rail.

831 04 029.jpg 831 04 027.jpg 831 04 028.jpg 831 04 030.jpg

I used a 1.25" dielectric mirror diagonal & the Vixen 1.25" adapter. Venus in a bright blue sky with the sun not down very far, was an amazing little chunky gibbous, very bright but clearly defined and very little color fringing. That immediately brought a smile to my face. This lens tests very good under DPAC and I've run-up the power with it before with no problems. I was expecting good things. The transparancy was good, no clouds, but the seeing wasn't terrific. I waited for Jupiter to gain some altitude by seeking out M13. Too easy, visible in the nice air-spaced 40mm finder. Very nice in the main scope at 62.5X with the UO 16mm Widescan. M57 was just visible through the light pollution, but became obvious with a Celestron broadband LPR filter. Castor was a perfect, clean double. Polaris split easily. Finally back to Jupiter. Wow, noticeably more detail than with a 60mm scope, and brighter image. I first spent some time with a 9mm volcano-top ortho, then the UO 10.2mm mushroom-top. Excellent views at 111X & 98X. Desiring a larger eye lens, I tried the Orion 3X Tri-Mag Barlow in combination with a UO 24mm Konig-II Zebra. Barlow positioned behind the diagonal so I got a true 3X factor for 125X. This produced a nice image scale for even smaller detail, as well as some decent eye relief. But I could tell that I had hit the seeing limit for the night as any higher power made the image larger but contributed no more detail. I've used the scope at around 150X so know what it's capable of when the seeing permits. Still, not a bad night from the suburbs and the fact that it coincided with a night I could stay-up past sundown was too good to be true.

I hope to finish the work on the mount one of these years and then the box needs attention, but the OTA is fantastic and I'm already considering this a good rescue and save.

The 60mm scopes are terrific if you have dark skies but just that little bump up to a 3-inch aperture makes a noticeable difference, especially under less than ideal skies.

As always, the workmanship is oxygen-depleting quality. Outstanding. When I grow up I want to be a scope re-builder. Kudos!!!
  • Chuck Hards likes this

#274 AlanSheppard

AlanSheppard

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bedford Nova Scotia Canada

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

Could I please join this group? I have only found out about it yesterday that there was a lot of interest in the Swift 831 telescope. I have this scope and need work on it to get it up and running.

Please register me, here is my Swift 631 serial number, a photo of my that is attached. - 831 No. 633057

If you would like more information please let me know.

Thanks,

Alan D. Sheppard

Serial # for Swift 831 Registry.JPG

• roscoe, Ken Sturrock, Chuck Hards and 2 others like this

#275 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:39 AM

Welcome aboard Alan !

• AlanSheppard likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics