•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for a good source for Moon Rocks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesteel

bluesteel

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

In my modest research regarding this, I have found out  there have been several meteorites found on Earth that come from our moon.  Quickly looking online, I see some people selling little "grains of sand" of the meteorite.  I am looking for something a bit bigger for a gift, that would be more than a spec of dust.  This will be my first foray into acquiring a specimen, and do not know much about who are reputable dealers, and who are not.  Somebody could be selling me dirt from their mud flap of their truck, and I would be none the wiser since I am a novice in this regard. 

I am not looking to spend more than $200 for a piece of the moon, and I have no idea what this price would get me.

Any and all advice regarding this would be very greatly appreciated! :)

#2 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

If you search "nwa 5000" on eBay, you'll find several examples of this meteorite for under $200.  They are small, but they are not sand grains and they are beautiful.

#3 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

Here's one I bought several years ago for a little over $200. One of my favorite small pieces.

Attached Thumbnails

• -2.jpg

#4 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

You should try Michael Gilmer at Galactic Stone & Ironworks Meteorites. He does also sell on this site, so you should be able to contact him here.

Ebay is fine for meteorites, with a couple of caveats. Buy from dealers with a substantial history of selling meteorites, whose main product is meteorites and/or minerals, and with perfect or nearly so feedback. Avoid anything from China.

Lee

#5 bluesteel

bluesteel

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  Great advice lee14 to make sure that the sellers on ebay are dealing a lot with meteorites! Ed, NWA 5000 was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for that hint.

Looks like someone will be receiving a unique gift, that in my opinion, is infinitely better than any diamond that is dug up on this planet by leaps and bounds. 

• Ed Fortier and lee14 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics