•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Live Broadcast Announcements

observing outreach EAA
  • Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#1 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:17 PM

The idea is to have a perpetual thread, much like the image gallery and setup threads, that is dedicated for live broadcast announcements so we would want mainly broadcast announcements posted. The following suggestions are recommended in order to keep the thread on track. Ideally there would be a single post/announcement for each broadcast, and that one post would be updated as guided by the suggestions that follow.

Requirements for broadcast posters:

• Post equipment details that will be used for the broadcast as this is an EAA observing and equipment forum, so the thread stays solidly within the purpose of this sub-forum.
  • Post a link to the broadcast in the thread (don't rely on the sig as the mobile site doesn't display signatures).
  • Post the estimated start time & date.
  • If the broadcaster is going to post captures, please do so in a separate thread since this is an observing forum or in the image gallery, the broadcast post can be updated with the link to the relevant thread or post in the image gallery and vice/versa if desired.

Suggestions for broadcast posters:

• Post any prediction as to the likelihood of the broadcast would also help, maybe say low, medium, or high likelihood.
  • Post the planned target types (Solar, Lunar, Planetary, Comets, Asteroids, DSOs, etc...), a general idea is ok at a minimum but if there is a specific list that would be great to share too.
  • When the broadcast comes online please edit the broadcast post to say so.
  • When the broadcast finishes please edit the broadcast post to say so.
  • Edit the broadcast post to answer any questions that were PMed that you'd like to share with others.

Suggestions for viewers:

• If you have questions for the broadcaster do it via PM if there is no other way of contacting them. If it's something that others should know about the broadcaster can update their post with the Q&A.
  • If you viewed the broadcast and want to give positive feedback please like the broadcast post and do not add posts unless there is something extraordinary to discuss and in such cases a new separate thread should probably be started. This is a good way for broadcasters to know that people on CN are watching.
  • Do not add posts unless your going to broadcast. Please keep side discussions (even if relevant to broadcasting) short and err on the side of starting a separate thread.

As long as the link/broadcast announcement meets the CN TOS, there are no rules proposed here about where/how broadcasters operate, this means the thread is open to anyone able to post on CN, and of course since CN does not require registration to view threads anyone can see the announcements. This will include equipment demos/discussions as well as live targets, for example you could broadcast live setting up and using your equipment.

• DonBoy, Gary Z, 1965_dup1 and 2 others like this

#2 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

b'casting YouTube - now 7:10 eastern - info in description

https://www.youtube....h?v=YOfyLEFLXZ0

Edited by DonBoy, 20 February 2016 - 07:28 PM.

• Relativist and Gary Z like this

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

Linky?

#4 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

I plan to broadcast tonight around 7PM PST.  I will use my C9.25" SCT with an Lntech 300 PAL and a Mallincam MFR5 II focal reducer.  My objective is to play with Sharpcap stacking and use some of the information which has been posted in recent threads on Sharpcap.  So, I won't be bouncing from DSO to DSO fast as I will want to spend some time on each target.  I will welcome help from anyone more experienced than myself with Sharpcap.  This is meant to be a learning experience for me, and I am happy to have others tag along to learn also or provide help.  I'll try the easy Messiers like M81, M82 which will be opposite the moon.  Mabybe M1.

Sky conditions will be average according to the Clear Sky Chart and the moon will be full so don't expect great images.

Link: http://www.nightskiesnetwork.ca/

Channel Californiaskys 

Best Regards,

Curtis

Edited by CA Curtis 17, 20 February 2016 - 07:14 PM.

• Relativist likes this

#5 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

Helping Don out since he's broadcasting. Also it's a good example of how the suggestions would work.

Equipment is as follows:

C8@f10 - ZWO ASI224 - IR - CEM60

Target: was Moon, now Jupiter.

Broadcaster said good night, seems to be over.

Here is the Youtube recording https://www.youtube....h?v=LRyZfWPX4io

Edited by Relativist, 20 February 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#6 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

Watching the broadcast... YouTube works really well. The higher resolution changes the whole experience.

• Herr Ointment likes this

#7 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

I am on now

#8 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

I am on now

Gotcha, can only be guest as I no longer have a log in, so can't chat at the moment. Also watching Mark in Temecula via Youtube live on the moon, I'll ask if he'd like to participate & post.

Sorry was crashing, had to bail, I did see M1 though. looked nice :)

Edited by Relativist, 20 February 2016 - 11:26 PM.

#9 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Vanguard

• Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

Ok, my first test run too...

Broadcasting on https://www.youtube....h?v=GmnIibBK9E0

Tonight's targets: Jupiter, Moon, Saturn and maybe Mars.  

The Moon is blazing away tonight, lol.  

The Equipment for tonight:

* Meade 14" f/8 ACF LX850

* Canon 60Da

* 17" MacBook Pro

* Later I will be trying out the Lepus 0.62x focal reducer and then 3x Meade Barlow

Edited by Spacetravelerx, 21 February 2016 - 12:50 AM.

• Relativist likes this

#10 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:02 AM

Just signed off.  Will post information tomorrow.

Good night

• Relativist likes this

#11 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Thanks to those who joined my broadcast last night.  Despite the full moon and average sky conditions, I was personally impressed with the results using the stacking and histogram features of Sharpcap.  We looked at M1, Flame Nebula, M81, M82, Silver Needle Galaxy and the Eskimo Nebula.  Images can be found in my album on CN: CA Curtis - SharpCap Images with Lntech 300 PAL.

Had lots of trouble getting knocked off NSN.ca last night.  Never had so much trouble and I don't know what was different last night.  

Regards,

Curtis

#12 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Vanguard

• Vendor Affiliate

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

Ok - broadcasting right now, though the clouds are getting in front of the Sun every now and then.

Broadcasting on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmnIibBK9E0

Today's targets: The Sun and birds flying in front of the telescope, lol. 

The Equipment for today:

* Meade 90mm SolarMax II 
* Canon 60Da
* 17" MacBook Pro
* 3x Meade Barlow

* Canon EOS Utility

Edited by Spacetravelerx, 21 February 2016 - 03:27 PM.

• Relativist likes this

#13 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

Equipment:

CGEM/Sony a5100/Baader UHC/2x barlow/iPhone 5s/iMac

Link to recording:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZSLb3HxTBQE

Start time approx. Done - did a short broadcast of Jupiter on youtube.

Hangout had guys from NSN FB, we did Orion at f/4 with UHC filter, then moon with UHC and then Jupiter, all prime focus. Later I put a 2x 2" barlow in for a better shot of Jupiter. Did not set up remote control for mount via SkyFi this time.

iPad mini not available

Since this was my first use of the google hangout method didn't notice the large green start broadcast button until way later.

<link to recording is fixed>

Edited by Relativist, 23 February 2016 - 11:44 AM.

• Barqs likes this

#14 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

Curtis and all...I'm not a broadcaster, but I've always enjoyed being able to get on when you folks are on.  My hat is off to all of you that are broadcasting and making the best of what your software will work with using Youtube or other sites.  This is just my way of saying thank you for your time and effort put into the broadcasts.

Clear Skies,

Gary

• Relativist and Barqs like this

#15 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

Gary,

Glad to share.  For me, it is a form of public outreach.

Regards,

Curtis

#16 schwim

schwim

Viking 1

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:52 PM

Broadcasting now, just playing around:

https://www.youtube....h?v=JbQso0UvVJg

8" RC

Sony A7S

• Relativist and Barqs like this

#17 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Vanguard

• Vendor Affiliate

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:18 AM

Ok, another question/suggestion about this topic area which is a very good start.

Depending on sky conditions, I will likely be broadcasting from New Mexico 3-5 days per week!  I am sure some posters will be broadcasting fairly often too.  Very soon this topic will get packed!

I hate to suggest this, however maybe CN needs a nice gateway page to those with video channels with a flag showing if it is online or offline.  Bonus - folks can select which channels to monitor; when the channel comes online the user will get an email/text message/tweet/etc notification.

CN has over 100,000 followers.  I think this would be a cool add on.

BTW, I really love using the Youtube interface for broadcasting.  Everything looks very professional through it - and no dramatic rules, fighting, etc.

• Relativist and Howie1 like this

#18 schwim

schwim

Viking 1

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

I hate to suggest this, however maybe CN needs a nice gateway page to those with video channels with a flag showing if it is online or offline.  Bonus - folks can select which channels to monitor; when the channel comes online the user will get an email/text message/tweet/etc notification.

CN has over 100,000 followers.  I think this would be a cool add on.

BTW, I really love using the Youtube interface for broadcasting.  Everything looks very professional through it - and no dramatic rules, fighting, etc.

I set this up as a means of notification for broadcast. All are invited to use it:

https://plus.google....129969553173299

#19 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

This is a great idea...not to be critical, but posting messages like "broadcasting now" isn't real helpful, even for those of us "following" this post.  Giving a couple of hours notice would be great if possible.

Also, a follow up post with a link would be useful if you end up saving your broadcast as a standard YouTube video.  I really enjoy seeing the various equipment/software combinations and the results, but may not be able to make the "live" sessions.

Good stuff.

#20 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Vanguard

• Vendor Affiliate

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

Ok everyone I will be broadcasting TWO TIMES TODAY;

First broadcast will be at 4:30 PM MST - Solar viewing

Second broadcast will be at 9:00 PM MST - The Moon, Jupiter, some star clusters, etc.

Channel:  http://www.youtube.c...etravelerx/live

The Equipment for today:

* Meade Double Stack 90mm SolarMax II
* Canon 60Da
* 17" MacBook Pro
* 3x Meade Barlow
* Canon EOS Utility

For tonight:

* Canon 60Da
* 17" MacBook Pro

Staytuned! 

• Relativist likes this

#21 Howie1

Howie1

Mariner 2

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:13 AM

Hmmm. Having just watched the above broadcast I see the only problem with YouTube being the idiots who join chat and just pump out continuous rubbish.

You know, we could .....

Use the good ol NSN Facebook page (or another one which we can throwaway easily should it get spammed or have trolls join). We'd use the good ol NSN facebook page to lodge our upcoming broadcasts scheduled time.

Once we are broadcasting on YouTube we simply hide the YouTube chat window. We simply never chat on Youtube ... we just watch.

But we also keep open the post on NSN where we put our scheduled broadcast details, and simply post away in there. We are all members and I doubt we are going to post absolute rubbish ...! Photo link shows a separate NSN 'chat' window to the left and a separate YouTube video window on the right.

https://www.flickr.c...157664879250332

Anyhow, for now I will continue to wait for Joe's new NSN to start up.

• Relativist likes this

#22 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Vanguard

• Vendor Affiliate

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hmmm. Having just watched the above broadcast I see the only problem with YouTube being the idiots who join chat and just pump out continuous rubbish.

You know, we could .....

Use the good ol NSN Facebook page (or another one which we can throwaway easily should it get spammed or have trolls join). We'd use the good ol NSN facebook page to lodge our upcoming broadcasts scheduled time.

Once we are broadcasting on YouTube we simply hide the YouTube chat window. We simply never chat on Youtube ... we just watch.

But we also keep open the post on NSN where we put our scheduled broadcast details, and simply post away in there. We are all members and I doubt we are going to post absolute rubbish ...! Photo link shows a separate NSN 'chat' window to the left and a separate YouTube video window on the right.

https://www.flickr.c...157664879250332

Anyhow, for now I will continue to wait for Joe's new NSN to start up.

@Howie1 -  yes one person showed up briefly, and he was bumped/blocked by me.   However for the over five hour session, the chats were perfectly fine. If you do not like it, the solution is simple: don't chat and close your chat window.

Unlike some in the Astronomical community I am quite open and inclusive.  Everyone is welcome as long as they play nice.  As I am growing and learning on my channel, folks from many areas are invited to the fun, including many of the folks I work with - members of the university community, folks at NASA, my commercial customers, my FB followers, Tumblr followers, Instagram followers and now YouTube followers.

Yes, some folks want a closed, niche club, and that is fine for some.  This approach is working well for me.

I would love to use NSN, but the technology seems rather in the dark ages (Flash?!?!?).  I am very impressed with the YouTube interface.

• charotarguy likes this

#23 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Vanguard

• Vendor Affiliate

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

Ok everyone I will be broadcasting this evening again, though there may be some clouds for the first hour when the Moon is not up.  Isn't it always that way?!?!?

Tonight's broadcast will be at 7:30 PM MST - The Moon, Jupiter, some star clusters, and try an peak at some DSOs.  I was surprised with the success I was having last nice with the bright Moon out.

Channel:  http://www.youtube.c...etravelerx/live

The Equipment for tonight:

* Canon 60Da
* 17" MacBook Pro

AND in parallel

* Meade 6000 80mm ED APO

* Mallincam X2

We will see if my old MacBook Pro can handle this duel camera setup.

Stay tuned!

• Relativist and jpbutler like this

#24 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

I looked in sun and the other show. Was an interesting Experience. However the chat did not work for me. I was on mobile chrome and YouTube APP. Too Bad because i had some questions.

C u

Carsten

Edit: just after the post i found the chat window and how it works... Oh man . tried tapping and that expanding arrow.... Nada... You need to slide it up....🙈🙀

Edited by calli, 25 February 2016 - 03:51 PM.

• Spacetravelerx likes this

#25 Howie1

Howie1

Mariner 2

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

Yeah ... I just hid the chat window. ;)

Thanks for broadcasting Travelerx. Keep up the good shows.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, outreach, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics