•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Live Broadcast Announcements

observing outreach EAA
  • Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#26 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

Yeah ... I just hid the chat window. ;)

Thanks for broadcasting Travelerx. Keep up the good shows.

Thank-you @Howie1.  I am learning and experimenting.  Thank-you for hanging with it.

@calli - I was just going to say something about that.  ;)

#27 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

Well last night was a fun broadcast!  I can see where this can be very addicting!  The MC/Canon combo worked very well last night.  Lots of great conversations and meeting a bunch of people throughout the world!

And guess what...another night of perfect weather in New Mexico WITH a little bit longer window of Moonless skies!  That means...another broadcast!

Tonight's broadcast will be at 7:45 PM MST/9:45 PM EST and 0245 UTC (on 2/27/16).

My goal is to keep the broadcast under 7 hours ;)

The equipment tonight is the same as last night:

* Meade LX850 mount

* The Canon 60Da will be paired with the 14" f/8 ACF using the Optec Lepus 0.62x reducer

* The Mallincam X2 will be paired with the Meade 6000 ED APO

Both running of the MacBook Pro with Wirecast Live, EOS Utility, MallinCam Control, and Nebulosity.

And the channel: http://www.youtube.c...etravelerx/live

Come over and join the fun!

• Relativist likes this

#28 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:59 AM

I just found out that I can't watch the recorded streams. Reason is the licensing of the music which YT refuses to pay the local rights management company (GEMA). That sucks.

Is Music really needed? I mean I will mute it anyways and play my own. Other opinions?

Carsten

#29 will w

will w

Apollo

• Loc: oxpatch,ms

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

thats kinda funny carsten. i was at you tube and looked 2 of spacetravelerx recorded stream. 1 of them had music in it. the 11 hour broadcast was stopped for copyright grounds.when does you tube  have to pay for any copy righted  material  that you have in your broad cast?? will w

#30 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

I just found out that I can't watch the recorded streams. Reason is the licensing of the music which YT refuses to pay the local rights management company (GEMA). That sucks.

Is Music really needed? I mean I will mute it anyways and play my own. Other opinions?

Carsten

@calli - all my videos are blocked in Germany and Switzerland.  My son told me "watch out Dad, there are a LOTS people in Germany."  Well, just like that I learned I had an attempted view from Germany! Sorry about that!

I go through all the music to determine if the music is blocked and where.  I learned this quickly after my first long video which is blocked most everywhere, grrrrrrr.

The music does add a nice touch, however not if you can see it.  I will make sure my next video is not blocked in any country.

For everyone - PM me if you cannot see the past broadcasts.  

@will_w - I don't have an 11 hour broadcast...yet.  ;)    But if the video is blocked, it should be the entire video.

I am working to graduating to add voice to the broadcast (when I get the courage), and views of the telescope popping up in a small side window occasionally.

Next week, weather permitting I will be broadcasting my attempt at the Messier Marathon.  Based on my location I should be able to knock off about 105 targets.  I will make sure the music does not cause my video to be blocked next time.

• Relativist and Herr Ointment like this

#31 will w

will w

Apollo

• Loc: oxpatch,ms

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

Andrew. i should have said the video was streamed 12 hours ago.   i went back and looked. it was the 4.50.03 video that was stopped. some of the other ones you can see. will w

#32 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

Will broadcast again tonight using the same setup as last weekend:  Lntech 300 PAL, C9.25 @ f/4.5, Sharpcap.  If time permits I will switch to my MC Xtreme.  Will be on by 7:30 PST.

Can start with M1, M81, M82.  If I am on long enough can try M65/66.

Will show Sharpcap work flow. 

http://www.nightskiesnetwork.ca/ 

Channel:  California Skies

Regards,

Curtis

Edited by CA Curtis 17, 27 February 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#33 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

Andrew. i should have said the video was streamed 12 hours ago.   i went back and looked. it was the 4.50.03 video that was stopped. some of the other ones you can see. will w

@will_w, so you can see the video, until you hit the blocked song (or blocked mid-video)?

I also found the culprit track.  I screen for all the music, but one track got through that causes the video to be blocked almost everywhere...I thought I scanned for that (YouTube has a tool for that).

I did notice some iTunes radio channels will allow all the music in all countries to be broadcasted on my channel.  I also found some nice copyright free music. I may have to go with that.

Of course, I have thought of singing too...  :blush:

#34 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

@calli - all my videos are blocked in Germany and Switzerland.  My son told me "watch out Dad, there are a LOTS people in Germany."  Well, just like that I learned I had an attempted view from Germany! Sorry about that!

No problem. Was not a complaint but (as you took it) a mentioning. There are of course ways to go around that region thingy.

I would also vote for a live comentary from you. :-)

The biggest problem for me is of course that the broadcast is in the middle of the night here in germany.

Keep up your good work!

Carsten

#35 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

Attempted to broadcast tonight starting at 7:30PST as I had promised, but got knocked off line so many times I lost count.  I don't know if there is an issue with NSN or what, but there is nothing more I can do.  I have done everything the same way I always have and have never had this trouble before.  Last week my channel was knocked off a few times, but at least I was still able to broadcast for long periods before having to login back in again.  No joy tonight!

Regards,

Curtis

#36 John.Sankus

John.Sankus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Philadelphia, PA (US)

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

I didnt have problems during the day doing solar views, but after 7pm eastern then it was a different story.  I checked throughput and latency on my end, which was ok.  Next time this happens I will do some analysis on the hops between us and NSN and see if I can weed it out.  Remember you are only as fast as your slowest hop to your target.

#37 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Ok folks, it looks like the weather MAY cooperate tonight.  For a "quasi" Messier Marathon - think of it as a dry run, lol.

Tonight's broadcast will be at 8:30 PM MST/10:30 PM EST and 0330 UTC (on 3/216).

The equipment tonight is the same as last night:
* Meade LX850 mount
* The Canon 60Da will be paired with the 14" f/8 ACF using the Optec Lepus 0.62x reducer
* The Mallincam X2 will be paired with the Meade 6000 80mm ED APO

Both running of the MacBook Pro with Wirecast Live, EOS Utility, MallinCam Control, and Nebulosity.

http://www.youtube.c...etravelerx/live

Come over and join the fun!

• geminijk likes this

#38 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

The clouds have won, BOO! The weather is not cooperating as planned.     :cloudy:

Tonight's broadcast HAS BEEN MOVED TO March 2 at 7:30 PM MST/9:30 PM EST and 0230 UTC (on 3/3/2016).

The equipment for the March 2, 2016 Broadcast:
* Meade LX850 mount

Remember to come over and join the fun!

• Relativist likes this

#39 Howie L

Howie L

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

Hi ,

I will be broadcasting tonight..

Live broadcast Wed Mar 2, 9:30 - 12:30am EST

From New Jersey

C9.25,  Canon350d

https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage

Edited by Howie L, 02 March 2016 - 09:29 PM.

• Relativist likes this

#40 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:18 PM

The broadcast and quasi Messier Marathon is on...8:00 PM MST

The equipment for the March 2, 2016 Broadcast:
* Meade LX850 mount

Remember to come over and join the fun!

• Relativist likes this

#41 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hi ,

From New Jersey

C9.25,  Canon350d

HI,

Watched some of your broadcast last night. Nice! How the heck do you get such good images in NJ? I live in Edison and I find it very hard to see any of the galaxies.

I have a Mallincam Agc and can see the cigar galaxy and Bode's Galaxy but that is pretty much it so far.

John

• charotarguy likes this

#42 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Not a broadcast announcement, but a note that the nearly 11 hour broadcast of the Messier Marathon is done! 

98/110 targets, the rest blocked by the home and mountains.  But I got all that were viewable.

One comment - I love this YouTube broadcasting method.  Very easy to use and efficient.  And it handles these long broadcasts without a problem.

Kudos to the MC X2 and Canon 60Da...and the LX850.  Without this equipment the marathon goals could not have been met.

BTW,  I won't do very many 11 hour broadcasts.  This was a special event.  ;)

Thank-you everyone for stopping by throughout the night.  I enjoyed the company!

Time for me to pass out...night y'all!

• Relativist likes this

#43 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hi ,

From New Jersey

C9.25,  Canon350d

HI,

Watched some of your broadcast last night. Nice! How the heck do you get such good images in NJ? I live in Edison and I find it very hard to see any of the galaxies.

I have a Mallincam Agc and can see the cigar galaxy and Bode's Galaxy but that is pretty much it so far.

John

Exactly the same question, apart from sky high taxes, NJ is also known for heavy light pollution (at least by me)  :)

#44 jsardina

jsardina

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clifton, NJ

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hello Jersey guys,

As I am from Clifton, NJ well lets see 15 miles west of Manhatten, 4 miles south of Paterson and 5 miles north of Newark as some may say I'm  SOL but I have a 14" Meade, 10" RC, 80mm Meade, 80mm Stellarvue and how do I deal with light pollution FILTERS FILTERS and more FILTERS. But I must say camera and software will take you a long way especially Astro-toaster. 

Once I learn how to put picture on here I will post them.

Thanks,

Joseph Sardina

M42 1 27 2016
Album: STARGATE-NJ
8 images
0 comments

Edited by jsardina, 03 March 2016 - 03:35 PM.

• budman1961 and charotarguy like this

#45 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

thanks for the reply Joe.

Sent you a pm.

John

#46 John.Sankus

John.Sankus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Philadelphia, PA (US)

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

Joe, since you are pretty close to me (I am inside Philadelphia), what filters/reducer(s) and exposure/software settings do you use?  I have been playing around with my setup for a while now trying to get just the right balance.  Stuff like M42 comes through great, but galaxies are another thing, I just can't seem to resolve the arms that well in Andromeda or Bode's as light pollution keeps getting in the way.

Thx.

#47 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Not a broadcast announcement, but a note that the nearly 11 hour broadcast of the Messier Marathon is done! 

98/110 targets, the rest blocked by the home and mountains.  But I got all that were viewable.

One comment - I love this YouTube broadcasting method.  Very easy to use and efficient.  And it handles these long broadcasts without a problem.

Kudos to the MC X2 and Canon 60Da...and the LX850.  Without this equipment the marathon goals could not have been met.

Thank-you everyone for stopping by throughout the night.  I enjoyed the company!

Caught some of this, will the youtube video stay up? If so please link it here, this was quite the effort and it would be great that we can have a recording to refer people to to see how EAA is done.

I wish I could announce a broadcast, but clouds are headed this way along with rain over the weekend! Keep up the good work and staying on topic as well.

A reminder that this thread is mostly for broadcasters to announce, liking the post is the recommended way of signaling your participation, and PMing or starting separate threads once a discussion topic arises (like it just did) for side discussions is also preferred, basically use the same etiquette as we use in the image gallery.

#48 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

I have been playing around with my setup for a while now trying to get just the right balance.  Stuff like M42 comes through great, but galaxies are another thing, I just can't seem to resolve the arms that well in Andromeda or Bode's as light pollution keeps getting in the way.

Thx.

I read that a #29 red filter (which cuts in around 610nm and passes all of the IR) works well for removing LP on gallaxies (as long as your camera has no internal IR cut filter!). This is because LP is around 570nm to 600nm or so IIRC, and galaxies are fairly bright in IR. Works a lot better than no filters for galaxies. Spiral arms will be seen with the camera but it'll be black and white mostly.

Regrards,

Alistair G.

#49 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

Caught some of this, will the youtube video stay up? If so please link it here, this was quite the effort and it would be great that we can have a recording to refer people to to see how EAA is done.

Thank-you Curtis - the Messier Marathon was definitely an endurance run I do not do very often.  ;)     It was clearly a tag and go run, NOT a pretty picture run.

There were a few glitches with the equipment somewhat early on the run, but I was able to pull it off in spite of the Moon and clouds towards the end.  

The FULL broadcast can be found here: https://www.youtube....h?v=1XQmYGfQNdI

However when I get a chance I will be condensing the Messier Marathon to a 2-3 minute video.  Easier watching for the audience lol.  Stay tuned!

#50 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

Guess what everyone...it will be another BEAUTIFUL night in New Mexico tonight. We are blessed in the Southwest High Desert!  With this great weather it means another broadcast TONIGHT!!

The broadcast will be at 8:00 PM MST/10:00 PM EST/0300 UTC (March 5).

The equipment for the March 4, 2016 Broadcast will be the usual:
* Meade LX850 mount

Tonight's broadcast will focus on some fun, bright targets for the EAA world, and then some quick fun with imaging.  Don't worry no targets will be long multi hour exposure runs, lol.

Come over to view, chat and join the fun!  My goal is to get more and more outsiders involved who would like to "meet the astronomer" - YOU GUYS!  Also any questions about space travel, space exploration and some of the flights I have coming up are welcome.

YouTube Broadcast Channel: http://www.youtube.c...etravelerx/live

• Relativist and roelb like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, outreach, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics