•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Live Broadcast Announcements

observing outreach EAA
  • Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#101 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Don, wish you could broadcast and record it with Hangouts on Youtube.  Here is how

Your start time is midnight here, and 2am on east coast.

Hi Charles,

The NSN setup is pretty simple and there are many in astronomy aware of it.  This is our first effort.  In the future we will consider other ways of doing this and YouTube would be one.  What are the advantages of YT over NSN?

One thing I like about the NSN site is that I use a Mac, and the broadcast s/w has a select area tool, so I just move it to my remote window shown on a separate extended monitor and click on the green button, just like I do with the separate window.  That way it fills the entire monitor screen both for outreach viewing and broadcast.  If I want to show the Starlight Live settings, I just slide the window over to the monitor.  I also have OBS that works well, too, and could be used with YT.  It doesn't appear to work with NSN.

I realize that the time situation is a problem for many.  Is there a way to record the NSN broadcast and put it on YT or post it here?

I'm still experimenting with all this and open to suggestions,  but I think I'm set for tonight with NSN.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#102 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

Don,

NSN does have a huge following, whereas YT is only seen due to posts on CN. One nice thing about YT is is saves a recording of your broadcast.  Maybe Mac has a utility to record screen capture video to HD?  Problem could be loading down your laptop with two video programs running at same time. 

TIP1: OBS and other encoders slow down laptop when recording to YT,  while using Google Hangouts on YT does not.  I'm pretty sure Hangouts uploads unencoded video to YT. 

TIP2: Screen capture programs generally do not encode so don't load down laptop, but create huge video file. If you upload huge unencoded screen capture video file to YT, you can then download it, and it will be encoded and 20X smaller.

Charles

• Relativist likes this

#103 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

Don, some people simulcast at the same time to multiple networks. There are other methods as well that are potentially simpler for the broadcaster if a simulcast is undesirable. One is that the broadcaster could record the broadcast locally for future upload. Another would be for the broadcaster to give someone on the other end of the broadcast permission to rebroadcast using another network like YouTube. Sometimes on the old NSN this would be done when a broadcaster wanted to save what was broadcasted for later viewing.

P.S. For example If I'm fortunate enough to be on, I could rebroadcast to YouTube if you give permission.

#104 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:01 PM

Thanks, Curtis.  Let's see how it goes tonight and we can explore options for the future.  I have to run it by others involved, so I would need some time anyway.  We are going to try to do this on a regular basis, so there will be plenty of opportunity to try different things.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#105 BarryBrown

BarryBrown

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sacramento

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:25 PM

Don,

Just to reassure you: one step at a time. Do what you feel comfortable with now; add features later.

By the way: are you using a Retina Mac? The NSN Broadcast tool has a bug: when selecting an area to broadcast, it doesn't take into account the doubled resolution of the Retina screen. You have to select an area 1/2 the size (in both dimensions). For example, to broadcast an area on screen that is, say, 1000x600 you have to select an area that is 500x300 with the top-left corner aligned. It usually takes me a couple tries to eyeball the correct size.

#106 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

Great show Don, congrats!

#107 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

Thanks, Curtis, and thanks for sticking with us till the end.  For those who may have missed the show, I uploaded some images from it in the image gallery.  We had a rough start last night, but finally got our act together and things went pretty smoothly.  We'll be back again next Thursday night at 8 PM (HST).  Because of the time difference for many, I think we'll try to get a recording of it, so others can watch at a reasonable hour.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Don

Link to gallery:

http://www.cloudynig...lery/?p=7291578

Edited by Don Rudny, 24 June 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#108 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:12 PM

Let's start a separate thread on that, as it would be good info for those wanting to archive their broadcasts.

P.S. Near ngc 4889 is Makemake, which would be a great target for the start and end of a night as it will move slightly and might be identified via blinking. You can use the Nebulosity blink function.

#109 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

Found my snapzoom smart phone holder! What that means is tonight I will be broadcasting using my new iPhone 6s and the updated NightCap Pro app that has basically unlimited exposure and intervalometer. Will attempt to simulcast.

Scope will be an 8" f/4, haven't decided on the eyepiece but will probably stick to the zoom.

#110 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

Thanks, Curtis, and thanks for sticking with us till the end.  For those who may have missed the show, I uploaded some images from it in the image gallery.  We had a rough start last night, but finally got our act together and things went pretty smoothly.  We'll be back again next Thursday night at 8 PM (HST).  Because of the time difference for many, I think we'll try to get a recording of it, so others can watch at a reasonable hour.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Don

Link to gallery:

http://www.cloudynig...lery/?p=7291578

Don,

I missed it.  Just too late for me.   I started a thread on solutions to record session off the grid here.   Maybe someone will have the best solution.  I tested one from video in thread,  OBS Studio, and it worked real well capturing full screen. 

Charles

Edited by CharlesC, 24 June 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#111 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

Weather permitting, we will be broadcasting from 9200' on Mauna Kea tonight around 8:00 PM HST (06:00 UTC).  It will be on Nightskiesnetwork.com.  The channel is White Mountain Skies.  This time Joe will record the session and make it available for playback at a more convenient time.

Please join us if you can.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#112 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

Don,

Look forward to it. Unfortunately due a change of plans I will be at VIS next Thursday. Hopefully you will be broadcasting then.

Hiten

#113 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:01 AM

Weather permitting, we will be broadcasting from 9200' on Mauna Kea tonight around 8:00 PM HST (06:00 UTC).  It will be on Nightskiesnetwork.com.  The channel is White Mountain Skies.  This time Joe will record the session and make it available for playback at a more convenient time.

Please join us if you can.

Don

I wonder does this site need a sign up to *view*? 

Carsten

#114 Robrj

Robrj

Apollo

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

To view, no.   Only to broadcast or participate in chat and to talk.  When you just view, you'll be logged in as "guest_xxxx" with some random number in place of the xxxx.

Edited by Robrj, 01 July 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#115 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

Planning on broadcasting tonight the second light of A7s. Finally got Capture One Pro, RCC & AT/DSS working during the week, so it's time to give it a go. I'll likely keep the camera in APS-C mode which is about 5mp and further shrink the FOV in AT/DSS. Note the A7s pixel pitch is 8.4 microns which is comparable to my MCX2 (8.4x9.8um), so what I'm concentrating on is the center of the sensor to get higher resolution and a larger FOV. Eventually Ill be using my 12" and one day an even bigger scope.

Goal is 10PM pacific on NSN.

btoadcast over, got some help with AT, was able to do m13 then Pluto. Great second light with A7s. Need follow up shots tomorrow to confirm Pluto viewing.

Here are some captures:

http://www.cloudynig...2016/?p=7319224

http://www.cloudynig...lery/?p=7319140

#116 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

Planning on a follow up with Pluto tonight, and hopefully getting Makemake & NGC 4725 & NGC 4712 & NGC 4747 before it goes down. Planning to start between 9-10PM on my NSN channel, linked in my sig. I would also simulcast on youtube but I don't want to further bog down my Macbook. Sometime in the future I'll be switching to a Macbook Pro that's a quad core, so it should be able to handle the multicast.

I'll be setting the A7s in 'extra fine'/jpeg mode in order to use HDR, I think it'll be neat to see what it can do on objects like M13.

Broadcast done, clouds came before I could get to Pluto. Was able to get M13 again

http://www.cloudynig...lery/?p=7320312

#117 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Weather permitting, we should be broadcasting on NSN tonight from Mauna Kea, Hi.  Show should start just before 8:00 PM HST (06:00 UTC).  Channel is White Mountain Skies.  With the bright moon out and high, we'll have some wide field NB Ha views of larger emission nebula.  I'll be using a C6 with Hyperstar (290mm FL) and an Orion Mini guider (162mm FL). Ultrastar C and M cameras.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#118 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

We're planning on broadcasting on NSN tomorrow, Thursday night, starting about 8:00pm HST from Mauna Kea.  Cliff has his new CPC1100HD.  We are getting a Hyperstar for it, but don't have it yet, so we'll be using some focal reduction.  Probably F3.3.  The channel is White Mountain Skies.  Hope you can join us.  

Any requests?

Don

Edited by Don Rudny, 27 July 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#119 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:29 PM

Sure, see if you can get the July challenge :)

#120 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:43 PM

It's on the observation list already, Curtis.  Image scale is very good for them.

• Relativist likes this

#121 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

We will be broadcasting on NSN (Nightskiesnetwork.com) tonight from Mauna Kea in Hawaii starting at about 8 PM HST, weather permitting.  We will be using an SX Ultrastar C camera on a Celestron 11" Edge with Hyperstar.  First light for this setup.  The channel is White Mountain Skies.  Hope you can join us.

Don

• Relativist, hnau and jsardina like this

#122 hnau

hnau

Vostok 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

Don, just wanted to thank you for hosting the stream.  It was great to see near realtime views that revealed very impressive details, especially after almost a month of monsoons wrecking shop here in AZ.  Keep up the great work!

• Don Rudny and Art_NW AZ like this

#123 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hnau,

Thanks for joining us last night.  It was really a perfect night with dark, clear skies and no wind.  Still working out some technical issues, but we plan on doing this every Tuesday evening for about three hours.

Don

• hnau likes this

#124 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas, United States

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

EDIT: Done!

I made a last second decision to do a second test live-stream, this time with Saturn using my C8 and ASI224MC. I will likely be doing so for about 45 minutes unless unexpected clouds come through.

Link: https://youtu.be/mg7DRXAPi5s

Edited by AstroEthan, 05 August 2016 - 12:33 AM.

• Relativist and Robrj like this

#125 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

We have decided to do our Mauna Kea broadcast on Monday nights instead of Tuesday due to a conflict with Cliff's astronomy club meeting.  So, we will be on this Monday, Aug 8th, starting about 8pm HST (06:00 UTC Tuesday).  Hope you can join us.  The broadcast will be on Nightskiesnetwork.com and the channel is White Mountain Skies.

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, outreach, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics