•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Live Broadcast Announcements

observing outreach EAA
  • Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#151 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Randy,

It is on Joe's network:  https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/

I used to have one on Rock's network but it disappeared the night I was set to broadcast.  I'll see if I can get that one back, but I'm not sure whether they really like broadcasts with non-Mallincam cameras.  Maybe that was the problem, I don't know.

Regards,

Curtis

#152 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the link.  My mistake - I was waiting over at nightskiesnetwork.ca from the link on your site.  

I look forward to watching your broadcast the next time you are up and running.  

#153 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Weather permitting, we are planning to broadcast from Mauna Kea at 9200' tomorrow night starting at 7:30 - 8:00 pm HST.  Nightskiesnetwork.com and our channel is White Mountain Skies.  We will be using an Ultrastar C in an Evo 6 at F6 and possibly an Ultrastar M with NB Ha in a wide field 50mm mini at F3.2.

Please join us if you get a chance.

Don

Weather forecast looks promising for tomorrow night.

Don

#154 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Randy,

No it was my mistake and I am sorry you missed the broadcast.  That link was to Rock's site which I have always used with his and other cameras, but it disappeared when I was set to broadcast last Friday night and I don't know why.  I changed the link on my web site to Joe's site for now which is where I ended up broadcasting after great support from Joe.  If I ever get my channel back on Rock's site I'll make the links more clear on my web site.  I'd like to be able to broadcast on as many different sites as possible to reach the most people.

I will try and broadcast again next weekend if I can.

Regards,

Curtis

#155 CharlesC

CharlesC

Soyuz

• ****-

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

Curtis, saw your broadcast.  M16 was very good. The Crescent was challenging.  Looks to be a learning experience in progress.  Seems up-ing Display Contrast and Histogram "white" pulls things out.  Look forward to seeing how things progress.  

#156 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:30 PM

Curtis - looking forward to joining you next time. I have the new link bookmarked.

#157 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Looks like it's a go for tonight.  Should be on somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00 pm HST.  Site is Nightskiesnetwotk.com and our channel is White Mountain Skies.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#158 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

There is a new version of SharpCap that came out today:  http://www.sharpcap....nsharpcap292869

I am hoping this new version will make testing the QHY 183C more successful tonight.  Forecast is for partly cloudy...   I will give it a try on www.nightskiesnetwork.com   "BigAppleSkies" channel

probably ~ 10pm EDT to midnight or 1am...

Al

• Relativist and Robrj like this

#159 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

In case readers of this thread haven't noticed, this is now a pinned thread. In order to pin it, I've modified the 'suggestions' of this thread in the original post, since back when I made those I was not a moderator, and converted some to rules and kept some as suggestions with agreement from the rest of the moderator team so that this thread could be pinned. Please do read and follow the posting rules and let us know if there are any questions.

Again the rules for posting are found on the first post of this thread.
  • Don Rudny likes this

#160 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:38 AM

In case readers of this thread haven't noticed, this is now a pinned thread. In order to pin it, I've modified the 'suggestions' of this thread in the original post, since back when I made those I was not a moderator, and converted some to rules and kept some as suggestions with agreement from the rest of the moderator team so that this thread could be pinned. Please do read and follow the posting rules and let us know if there are any questions.

Again the rules for posting are found on the first post of this thread.

Curtis, thanks for Sticking the thread.

But, some points you make in the suggestions will often be impractical.

eg:

Suggestions for broadcast posters:

Post any prediction as to the likelihood of the broadcast would also help, maybe say low, medium, or high likelihood.
Post the planned target types (Solar, Lunar, Planetary, Comets, Asteroids, DSOs, etc...), a general idea is ok at a minimum but if there is a specific list that would be great to share too.
When the broadcast comes online please edit the broadcast post to say so.
When the broadcast finishes please edit the broadcast post to say so.
Edit the broadcast post to answer any questions that were PMed that you'd like to share with others.

The Edit button usually disappears around 24 hours after making a post, so the edits you suggest probably won't happen.

It is a good suggestion though if edits are made quickly after the initial post.

#161 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the question, please PM any further questions.

For this particular question it is a suggestion not a requirement. I would expect that follow up information would be posted sometime after the broadcast but such is not required. In addition I expect the follow up only to be really relevant when the previous announcement is incorrect.

In my broadcasts announced here I would bring up my post and do some of those edits, so I know it's possible (this was prior to me becoming a moderator). Also it's ok to make a follow up post especially if things have changed and the original announcement is locked.

#162 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

I plan to broadcast again tomorrow night on my channel "California Skies" on this network:  https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/

Expect to be on line between 8:30 and 9PM PDST

I will once again use the Celestron 6SE which is a 6" SCT on an Alt-Az mount and this time I will use the Revolution Imager 2.  I will use SharpCap v2.9 and can show the difference between unstacked and stacked images, using DNR and without DNR.

Targets will be DSOs with M16, M27, M20 as obvious bright nebulae to look at.  Depending upon on long the broadcast goes, we'll look at whatever makes sense.

Please join me if you can

Curtis

#163 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

I also plan on broadcasting on NSN tomorrow Saturday Sunday night, time TBA, but it will be later in the evening.

Canceled due to weather.

#164 JimT

JimT

Viking 1

• Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

Look for live broadcasting of the ECVAR star party to start on the 25th. There will be day and night broadcasting being done on

NIGHT SKIES NETWORK .COM

Just look for the ECVAR channels to go live at any time during that week.

Thanks

#165 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

Weather permitting, we will be broadcasting tonight starting about 7:15 HST from Mauna Kea, Hawaii at 9200'.  We'll probably be using an Evo 6 with Hyperstar and an Ultrastar C camera.  Our CPC1100 HD still has tracking problems.

We'll be on nightskiesnetwork.com and our channel is White Mountain Skies.

Hope you can join us.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#166 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

Weather permitting, we will be broadcasting tonight starting about 7:15 HST from Mauna Kea, Hawaii at 9200'.  We'll probably be using an Evo 6 with Hyperstar and an Ultrastar C camera.  Our CPC1100 HD still has tracking problems.

We'll be on nightskiesnetwork.com and our channel is White Mountain Skies.

Hope you can join us.

Don

Had some problems last night with weather and batteries, so we'll try again tonight.  Same time, same station.

Don

#167 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

I will be broadcasting today at 11:30 AM PDST on https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/, channel "California Skies".  No stars, no sun, no moon.  I am going to do a live broadcast showing all the essential for setting up an analog video camera.  This will cover the basics of the camera, power connections and options, video cables and connections, c-mount adapter, focal reducer, spacers, in-line hand control, connecting to an LCD monitor etc.  I will also show how to connect to a video capture device and computer.  I will run through the menu for the Revolution Imager 1A.

My main purpose is to give Tony in upstate New York (from the thread "Need Help Finding an R1 ...") the basics of getting started in video astronomy so that he is ready to go when I ship the equipment David in NM generously donated for Tony.  

But everyone is welcome and I will do my best to answers everyone's questions.

Best Regards,

Curtis

• Relativist likes this

#168 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:21 PM

Weather permitting, we will be on nightskiesnetwork.com about 7:00 pm HST tomorrow night (Monday) here on Mauna Kea, Hawaii at 9200'.  Our channel is White Mountain Skies.  Still don't have our CPC1100 repaired, so we'll use the Evo6 with Hyperstar.

Hope you all can join us.

Don

#169 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

I plan to go ahead with the original broadcast to demonstrate how to set up an analog video camera that I intended to do two weeks ago.  The problem we had before has now been solved.  The broadcast will be this Sat Oct 8 at 10AM PDST, 1PM EDST on the Channel "California Skies" here: https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/

My objective is to show  how to hook up the camera without a computer and run through the key menu features.  I will go over cables, focal reducers, spacers and an LCD monitor and batteries.  If we have time, I will also show how to connect to a computer.

Please tune into my broadcast if you would like to learn, or just would like to follow this story.  

Regards,
Curtis

#170 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

Just want to confirm that my broadcast today at 10AM PDST to show how to setup an analog video camera is on.

Regards,

Curtis

• Relativist likes this

#171 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

I want to thank those who joined my broadcast this morning and hope you found it helpful. 

Regards,

Curtis

• Relativist likes this

#172 tsbikes

tsbikes

Explorer 1

• Loc: Custer, South Dakota

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

Hi Curtis,

I tuned in to your broadcast this morning and it seemed that you were doing a great presentation. Unfortunately I couldn't get any audio. Can you tell me what I was doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim

#173 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:51 PM

Jim,

For NSN, you need to use Chrome or Brave to get audio.  Audio on iPads also seem to be a problem even with Chrome.

Don

#174 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:10 AM

Jim,

For NSN, you need to use Chrome or Brave to get audio.  Audio on iPads also seem to be a problem even with Chrome.

Don

Audio also on Firefox

#175 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:38 PM

Looks like a go tomorrow evening for our weekly broadcast from Mauna Kea at 9200'.  The weather has been lousy the past ten days, but the trade winds have finally arrived and t looks good for tomorrow.  We'll be on nightskiesnetwork.com about 6:45 HST.  Our channel is White Mountain Skies.  Not sure the exact setup we'll be using, but it will probably be with the C6 Evo and Ultrastar cam.  The moon will be bright, so we may do some NB Ha.

Hope you can join us.

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, outreach, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics