•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Live Broadcast Announcements

observing outreach EAA
  • Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#201 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

Weather looks good for tonight on Mauna Kea.  We should start broadcasting at about 7:30pm HST.  I plan on using the CPC1100HD with Hyperstar and Ultrastar C.  ETA Carinae should be up by 9:00pm and we will concentrate on that object.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

As usual we will broadcast on Nightskiesnetwork.com.  Our channel is White Mountain Skies.  Hope you can join us.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#202 John.Sankus

John.Sankus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Philadelphia, PA (US)

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

any chance of a recorded session?  way late for us east coasters  :)

#203 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

Hi John,

I'm working on that.  I was hoping Joe was going to implement something on NSN.  I have no problem if someone wants to record it and put a link to YouTube or some other source.

#204 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Just amazing show again last night Don.  The views were just stunning.  You make it look so easy. bow.gif

And thank you again for your amazing patience and tolerance from my constant nagging and questioning about getting started in EAA!!!

Edited by Umasscrew39, 04 April 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#205 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thanks, Bruce.  Glad you could join us.  We enjoy sharing and helping.  Showing the SLL program as I adjust the image is being well received by many.

Don

#206 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

Weather looks promising for our regular broadcast tomorrow night (April 24) at 7:30 pm HST.  Will be using the CPC1100HD at F5 and Ultrastar C cam.  Will will also have the mini guider set up with the NB Ha filter.  We'll be on Nightskiesnetwork.com and our channel is White Mountain Skies.  Please join us if you can.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#207 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

On s sad note, Chuckles (Chuck Seaman) has died April 29th at age 70.  For those of us who are long time NSN'ers this came as a shock and I, for one, shall miss our late night chats.  RIP.

#208 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:05 PM

Weather has been terrible here the last few days.  Snow at the summit of Mauna Kea.  Clearing now and looks excellent for the rest of the week.  Will attempt a broadcast on Thursday, May 4 at about 7:45pm HST.  We'll use our CPC1100HD at F5 and the Orion Mini 50mm with a NB Ha filter.  Both with the Ultrastar C camera run by Paul Shears' Starlight Live Software.  Broadcast will be on Nightskiesnetwork.com and our channel is White Mountain Skies.  I will try to get the CN May objects of the month, as well as some southern popular objects.

Hope you can join us.

Don

#209 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

Forecast shows clear skies for tonight on Mauna Kea.  We'll star broadcasting on nightskiesnetwork.com at about 8:00pm HST.  Channel is White Mountain Skies.  Not sure what we'll try, so it will be a surprise.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#210 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Weather forecast on Mauna Kea looks bleak for tomorrow's broadcast on NSN.  We're now shooting for Tuesday and it looks good.  We plan on doing more with Eta Carinae as it will be going away soon.  We're going to try various focal lengths, possibly even prime to see if we can get any of the Homunculus.  Narrow band Ha filter will be used, too.  After that we will try to observe some of the supernovas that were posted about recently in the northern sky.  If there's any time left we will view some standard objects or suggestions from the viewers.

Info on the broadcast is in my signature.

Hope you can join us.

Don

#211 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

You may want to also try some minor planet observations, start and end of broadcast to see the movement.
  • Dragon Man likes this

#212 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

Weather forecast on Mauna Kea looks bleak for tomorrow's broadcast on NSN.  We're now shooting for Tuesday and it looks good.  We plan on doing more with Eta Carinae as it will be going away soon.  We're going to try various focal lengths, possibly even prime to see if we can get any of the Homunculus.  Narrow band Ha filter will be used, too.  After that we will try to observe some of the supernovas that were posted about recently in the northern sky.  If there's any time left we will view some standard objects or suggestions from the viewers.

Hope you can join us.

Don

Hi Don,

could you do us a favour and post a real timestamp which can be used in the whole world and converted to local time easiely?

Also, is the watching on Nightskynetworks.com only possible with a sign in?

Best regards,

Carsten

#213 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Hope you can join us.

Don

Hi Don,

could you do us a favour and post a real timestamp which can be used in the whole world and converted to local time easiely?

Also, is the watching on Nightskynetworks.com only possible with a sign in?

Best regards,

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

The planned broadcast is for tomorrow, May 16.  Sunset is around 7:00pm HST.  We should be on by 8:00pm.  UTC is +10 hrs from HST.  We usually broadcast for about three hours.

You can watch without singing in to NSN, but you won't be able to chat with us.  Registration only requires an email and username.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#214 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hope you can join us.

Don

Updated weather report for Tuesday, May 16, looks iffy, but Wednesday, May 17, looks very good, so we will do our weekly broadcast then, starting about 8:00pm HST.

Don

#215 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:21 AM

We've got three broadcasters on Comet Johnson V2 C/2015, now.

https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com

#216 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Looks like a clear night for tonight on Mauna Kea.  Will be broadcasting on Nightskiesnetwork.com from 9200' starting at about 8:00pm HST.  Our channel is White Mountain Skies.

Don

• Relativist likes this

#217 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

We will attempt a broadcast tonight on NSN from Mauna Kea starting at about 8:00pm HST.  Not sure about the weather because there was no MKWC report today due to it being Kamehameha Day.  We will probably use the CPC1100HD at F5 and the Ultrastar C camera.  Our channel is White Mountain Skies.

• Relativist likes this

#218 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

I will attempt my first broadcast tonight on NSN between 9PM - 11PM PT weather permitting. The Channel is called "The Faint Fuzzies". If the weather or my work or my kids do not cooperate I will try again later in the week.

We will be observing some well known galaxies and some less visited ones and goal will be to pull out as much structure and detail as we can. I will not attempt any very faint objects today as the moon will be out. Equipment will be C8@F5 and the ASI290MM Cool.

Also since this is my very first broadcast I expect there will be some troubleshooting required but hope to be up and running quickly. I will not have any audio as to minimize variables I will be broadcasting from my compute stick (wirelessly controlled by an iPad) - a tried and tested setup that I have been using for a few months.

I do have an observing list that I have created for the evening but will take requests. Feel free to post your request.

Hope to see you there.

#219 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:45 AM

I will attempt my first broadcast tonight on NSN between 9PM - 11PM PT weather permitting. The Channel is called "The Faint Fuzzies". If the weather or my work or my kids do not cooperate I will try again later in the week.

We will be observing some well known galaxies and some less visited ones and goal will be to pull out as much structure and detail as we can. I will not attempt any very faint objects today as the moon will be out. Equipment will be C8@F5 and the ASI290MM Cool.

Also since this is my very first broadcast I expect there will be some troubleshooting required but hope to be up and running quickly. I will not have any audio as to minimize variables I will be broadcasting from my compute stick (wirelessly controlled by an iPad) - a tried and tested setup that I have been using for a few months.

I do have an observing list that I have created for the evening but will take requests. Feel free to post your request.

Hope to see you there.

Hiten, which NSN?

nightskiesnetwork.com or that other one?

People don't specify often enough. 

#220 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

Ken, it is the .com one. Tried broadcasting last night but it kept freezing up after a few minutes. Some troubleshooting required.

#221 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Do I need to register to nightskiesnetwork.com to WATCH?

Cheers,

Carsten

#222 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Carsten,

I registered some time ago but I think I was also able to watch as a guest before registering.

#223 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

Do I need to register to nightskiesnetwork.com to WATCH?

Cheers,
Carsten

No you can watch as a guest.

#224 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:06 AM

I'll be attempting first light live on NSN tonight using my new Nexstar SE mount and Revolution Advanced 224/Touptek camera using the Mac Toupsky light software.

https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com

• Don Rudny likes this

#225 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

Weather is looking good for our weekly broadcast on Mauna Kea.  Should be on Nightskiesnetwork.com in about four hours.  Channel is White Mountain Skies.

Don

• Relativist likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, outreach, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics