•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari Pro 4 vs. 5?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

I've been purchasing each new major version but this time I am holding off until I know a bit more.

I was just looking at the app on the app store and it seems to me that a lot of the things new in version 5 are actually bug fixes that should have been addressed in Version 4.

So I am here to find out from those who have had 4 Pro and now 5 Pro.  What did you gain?  What made the upgrade worth the cost?   Was there a cheaper upgrade path for previous owners or not?

I plan to use it with my Celestron Evolution.  Does it allow for SkyAlign like the Celestron version of the program?  Does it have the audio clips related to many common targets?

Thanks

#2 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

The biggest benefit for me is the ability to use iCloud for Observing List/Log storage.  That way, all my lists and logs are automatically sync'd in realtime between both my iPad and iPhone, and once SSP5 for Mac is released, my desktop too.  The other main benefit for me is SSP5 runs faster and smoother.  There are maybe a few other minor things I like but not anything I can think of. 

As for any bug fixes, I hadn't had any problems with anything in SSP4, and certainly nothing I looked to SSP5 to address so I can't answer that for you.

#3 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

I haven't upgraded from Sky Safari Pro 4 to 5 either. I upgraded from 3 to 4, but now I hesitate to upgrade as I don't see any reason at the moment to upgrade. Thought the iCloud feature is nice. 

The version 4 runs very smooth. Are the rendering in both versions the same?

#4 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

I have heard that Version 5 will guide your mount to the Hickson Group

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

For people that are trying to decide if the upgrade from SS4 -> SS5 is worth it, I assume you've seen this page?

http://www.skysafariastronomy.com

It lists 21 new features in SS5.  I personally think the following are pretty useful:

Tonight at a glance

ISS & Satellite Notifications (including Iridium Flares)

Object List Thumbnail Pictures

iCloud Synchronization

Digitized Sky Survey Viewer

New 3D Galaxy View

#6 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

I dunno, I just feel this is a bit of a money grab.  Add a few features and bug fixes that should have been in version 4 so people pay another $40 to upgrade.  I'll hold off until version 6 and maybe there will be a compelling reason to upgrade. If not, then maybe version 7.

Thanks to those who have responded.  I appreciate your feedback.

#7 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

I dunno, I just feel this is a bit of a money grab.

Considering SkySafari used to be Voyager, and IIRC Voyager listed somewhere around $195, I found SkySafari Pro's introductory price of $19 a "best buy". If you use an app like "App Shopper", you can track the price of SkySafari on a day-to-day basis. SkySafari Pro v4 was available for about a year and a half and the price dropped to $19 seven times, and had seven more price drops of $21, $25, $31 etc. You can see for yourself here: http://appshopper.co...skysafari-4-pro (make sure you view all of the activity back to May 2014).

Having someone like Bill Tschumy actually listen to our numerous requests and then implement the majority of them while keeping the software running smoothly on the latest phone OSs and telescope mountings for $19 every year and a half or so... There are many reasons for the popularity of SkySafari, and IMHO, price is one of them.

And I'll happily pony up the upgrade cost for the MacOS version as soon as it becomes available.

#8 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:58 PM

Bill is as close to free instant, always on tech support and information as I can imagine. Given the solid performance of SSP and its depth, in my opinion relative to print and other major software, the full price has always been a bargain. And intrinsically has felt like a fair price without having to remind myself of why higher prices for other niche oriented tiny market segment software are justifiable - which in my opinion, they are.

At half price for new versions when first launched, i have never hesitated. Incorporating feedback from users is always considered and often implemented. Unlike some other major non astronomical software, SSP new releases don't break major features, and often are done while keeping up with iOS new versions which can cause problems. Whatever glitches do appear after release are in my experience fixed almost immediately. 

I give more than $20 to our local animal shelter and food banks! 

Jon

#9 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

As soon as they implement StarSense compatibility I'm in, don't really need it, but it would still be nice to have and if SkyPortal has it then SkySafari should. A couple of days ago they told me Mid 2016.

I'll be glad to upgrade, but have to wait because that's the only pressure I can apply, a whole $20 to $40 worth. SkySafari just has way more info and I do like having just one program to setup if they're both going to do substantially the same thing.

#10 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

Just last week I moved the StarSense code from the SkyPortal project into SkySafari 5.  We need to do some testing, but it should be in the next iOS release along with the Mac and Android versions when they come out.

#11 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

Not sure I'm following this correctly as I used my Starsense last year on my C14/CGE with SkySafari 4 via Bluetooth.  Worked great all evening.

Mike

Edited by junomike, 10 March 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#12 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Sounds good btschumy, Keiron Smith told me Mid 2016, but that was probably just just a conservative guestimate. As far as I'm concerned if I got it by June I'd be happy.

I'd rather see something properly tested and implemented than hurried. SkySafari, being more sophisticated than SkyPortal, probably has many more software/hardware interactions to consider.

Thanks for the reply btschumy.

#13 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

Mike, I THINK the distinction is regarding the Evo mounts or others from Celestron that generate their own wifi signal. The updated SkySafari would be able to interface directly with the mount's built in wifi and those equipped with the StarSense camera would then be able to control its alignment routine from SSP without a wifi/bluetooth add on.  Bill, correct me if I'm wrong about this, and my apologies.

Jon

#14 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

My thinking on it is that you would be able to do a Starsense auto align from the SS Pro program. Now one needs to select auto align etc from the H/S when they power up the mount then can connect/disconnect/reconnect etc SS Pro to the mount as it stands now, select targets via SS Pro or the H/S and not lose anything. With the interface capabilities you will be able to select auto align from SS Pro after you power up the mount; I THINK that's the difference. But if I have to go to the mount and push power on, why not just auto align it right then? As good as SS Pro 4 is and the quality stuff Bill & Kerion put out, I would just step up to Pro 5 with or without the interface. Now that's if I have the facts right, LOL
Kasey

#15 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

As a non-technology guy--hey, I'm just a thawed-out caveman, and modern technology frightens me--I'm kind of enjoying my low-tech usage of SSP5.  One feature that I'd find useful, though, is a "fly-to" for observing lists, so that a single button press (and/or a timer) will center the next item on a list.  Would be a good way to practice star-hopping a specific program or list.

#16 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

Agreed! It's often simply called "Next".

EDIT - I should have written "Next OPTION". Forgot the full text as I wasn't looking at the program.

Jon

Edited by JonNPR, 11 March 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#17 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

Jon, 

You are correct.  The new code is for StarSense with Celestron Wi-Fi mounts.  We have worked with the StarSense hand controller for a while.

Bill

Mike, I THINK the distinction is regarding the Evo mounts or others from Celestron that generate their own wifi signal. The updated SkySafari would be able to interface directly with the mount's built in wifi and those equipped with the StarSense camera would then be able to control its alignment routine from SSP without a wifi/bluetooth add on.  Bill, correct me if I'm wrong about this, and my apologies.

Jon

#18 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

This feature exists in SkySafari 5.  You highlight an observing list and then the "list" button at the bottom of the screen has a number of options, of which one is "next object".  This was an often requested feature and we listened to you.

As a non-technology guy--hey, I'm just a thawed-out caveman, and modern technology frightens me--I'm kind of enjoying my low-tech usage of SSP5.  One feature that I'd find useful, though, is a "fly-to" for observing lists, so that a single button press (and/or a timer) will center the next item on a list.  Would be a good way to practice star-hopping a specific program or list.

#19 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up on that Bill, I didn't even know about that feature.  I'm going to have to try that feature out next outing.

#20 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks to all for the discussion on this, as far as SS 5 working the way I want it to, completely wirelessly, it has been clarifying and illuminating. I know I'll have to wait awhile longer for the implementation I want, but it looks like it's coming soon to a telescope near me, and will finally complete the telescope system I really wanted. Cool.

There is one question I have about "Next Object" and this feature "Tonight at a glance" that btschumy noted. When you use Next, will it do it in proximity order. In other words, will it go to the next closest object to minimize slewing or will it slew to just anywhere no matter how far the slew is?

To put it most simply, can Tonight At A Glance and Next Object be linked together in Proximity Order?

What say you btschumy, or anyone who knows? Thanks

#21 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

OutOfSight,

The "Next Object" command will go to the next object in the list that is currently above the horizon.  You can sort the list in a variety of ways (RA, Dec, Altitude, etc) but not by "next closest".  

Also "Tonight At A Glance" is not an observing list so it won't work with that.  Perhaps you are thinking of "Tonight's Best".

Bill

#22 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

Once again, thanks for the reply btschumy. Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but I'm still looking forward to messing with SS 5 as soon as it has complete wifi with StarSense for an Evolution.

On the other hand it might be the answer I was looking for. It seems to me if "You can sort the list in a variety of ways (RA, Dec, Altitude, etc) but not by "next closest", then there is a way to achieve a proximity order. Anyway, I'll have fun trying.

#23 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

This feature exists in SkySafari 5.  You highlight an observing list and then the "list" button at the bottom of the screen has a number of options, of which one is "next object".  This was an often requested feature and we listened to you.

I was going to berate myself for not seeing this, but I actually had to hunt for it a little bit.  Glad it's there, though!

#24 gmartin02

gmartin02

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Being an Android user, I am sadly feeling left out of this conversation  :cloudy: 

Will there be any new Android version in 2016? (there hasn't even been a minor version release for over 6 months)

Edited by gmartin02, 18 March 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#25 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

Being an Android user, I am sadly feeling left out of this conversation  :cloudy: 

Will there be any new Android version in 2016? (there hasn't even been a minor version release for over 6 months)

SkySafari 5 for Android should be out around mid-year.  We are finishing up the work on the Mac version now.  We haven't had any updates to SS4 recently because we've been working hard on SS5.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics