•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari Pro 4 vs. 5?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#26 danner

danner

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:58 AM

SkySafari 5 for Android should be out around mid-year.

That's disappointing. Original estimates were an April-ish release. Oh well.

#27 optinaut

optinaut

Explorer 1

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:26 AM

Just last week I moved the StarSense code from the SkyPortal project into SkySafari 5.  We need to do some testing, but it should be in the next iOS release along with the Mac and Android versions when they come out.

btschumy, I'm holding out to move from SkySafari 4 to 5 until StarSense is supported. Where should I keep checking to learn when that update is made and I can make the jump up?

#28 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

StarSense has been supported for a while now if you connect through the StarSense HC.  Are you referring to StarSense when used in connection with a Celestron Wi-Fi scope (like Evolution or SkyQ Link)?  That release should be out in a month or so.

#29 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

btschumy, I am gladly waiting for SkySafari 5 (Pro or not) to work with StarSense and Evolution wifi, waiting for a proper implementation is fine with me. I do have a question or two, probably a stupid question, maybe two.

Stupid question (I assume), will there be an announcement that 'SS 5 now works with StarSense and Evolution wifi?'

Also, I suppose your putting the code in and making sure it interacts properly with any features it needs to interact with and doesn't interfere with any aligning or tracking features but only enhances them, my second question probably has nothing to do with any of this, but just in case.

In SS 5, as in SS 4 Pro, can you still put in IP addresses in specific terms, for example, 10.100.12.50, will I be able to put in a specific address for a wifi connection?

As always, thanks for the job you all do.

Edited by outofsight, 29 March 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#30 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

There won't be an "announcement" per se.  Check the release notes of the next release and we will mention if the feature is in there.  You can also ask on this list.  

The code is  in the currently shipping SkyPortal and I have merged it into the SkySafari code base.  Baring any unexpected problem, it should be in the next update.

#31 optinaut

optinaut

Explorer 1

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

Thank you,  btschumy!  Was wondering about wifi. Looking forward to the update. 

#32 Apercu

Apercu

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

The 5/21/16 SkySafari update added support for StarSense when using Celestron Wi-Fi scopes. Appreciate the added capabilities!  :waytogo:

Now I just need some clear skies to test it out.

#33 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

Yes, the SkySafari 5.1 release on iOS now supports StarSense with Celestron Wi-Fi scopes.  Celestron tested this pretty thoroughly for us so we think it should be solid.

#34 spsully

spsully

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

I updated to 5.1 a few hours ago and now all the solar system objects are blank, no surface detail at all.  I checked the settings and surface detail is on. I even deleted the app and reinstalled it still no detail on the objects. I don't know what else to do.

anyone else having this problem?

thanks,

Steve

#35 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

What platform is this on (Mac or iOS).  We haven't seen this in our internal use.

There is a setting in the Solar System settings that controls this (called "with Surfaces").  My guess is that this somehow got turned off.  I can't imagine how an app update would do it.

#36 spsully

spsully

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

I have an ipad 2, version 5 pro, this feature worked well until the update. I do have the surface feature turned on. When I zoom in on a planet the planet flashes on and off and is blank.  I still have version 4 pro on my ipad and it shows the features.  I guess I should delete version 5 and go back to 4.

thanks,

Steve

#37 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

Just installed Pro 5 from the app store and solar system objects look fine. IPad 3 though.

Edited by rockstarbill, 22 May 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#38 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

Please open a trouble ticket on this.

https://support.simu...us_requests/new

#39 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

You also might try rebooting the iPad.  Almost sounds like there is not enough graphics memory to draw the planet textures.

#40 StarCurious

StarCurious

Viking 1

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Yes, the SkySafari 5.1 release on iOS now supports StarSense with Celestron Wi-Fi scopes.  Celestron tested this pretty thoroughly for us so we think it should be solid.

Hi Bill,

When will the Android version support Starsense?  In the pre-Starsense days, Sky Safari Pro with Bluetooth would "transfer" the time and location to the hand controller via Bluetooth.  With Starsense HC, I have to enter the time/date manually everytime.  Will this be fixed in Sky Safari Pro 5 for Android? 

Thanks,

Joseph

#41 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

Joseph,

You probably should open a new thread on this.  This thread has become a mish-mash.

I believe the current SkySafari on Android does support StarSense at least when connecting through the HC via Bluetooth.  Are you sure you have the "Set Time & Location" checked in the Scope Setup settings?

Bill

#42 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:50 PM

Please open a trouble ticket on this.

https://support.simu...us_requests/new

OK, I can reproduce this on an older iPad 3.  There is no need to submit a trouble ticket.  We will get a fix (or workaround) out ASAP.

#43 spsully

spsully

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Bill. I was ready to go get a new ipad.

#44 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

We have the problem fixed.  Subtle issue that depended upon the layout of memory.  That is why we didn't see it during testing.  Submitting a new build to Apple tomorrow morning and the fix should be available Wednesday.

#45 StarCurious

StarCurious

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

Joseph,

You probably should open a new thread on this. This thread has become a mish-mash.

I believe the current SkySafari on Android does support StarSense at least when connecting through the HC via Bluetooth. Are you sure you have the "Set Time & Location" checked in the Scope Setup settings?

Bill

#46 StarCurious

StarCurious

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

Yes.
Scope type Celestron GPS/SLT/SE.
Mount Type Alt AZ
Connect via Bluetooth
Set Time and Location checked

#47 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

Bill, when an Evo scope with StarSense  is connected to SkyFi (via the hand controller preferably, or an Aux input?) instead of Evo's SkyQ,  and then to SkySafari Pro 5, is StarSense alignment supported? 

And, what is the preferred scope choice within SkySafari when connecting to the Evo with a Skyfi unit?

Thanks for all your continuing and quick support for SS!

Jon

#48 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

Jon,

If you have the StarSense HC then yes, SkySafari will work with the alignment model it created using StarSense.

I believe you should choose the "Celestron NexStar GPS/SLT/SE" although the "NexStar/Advanced GT" would probably work as well.  The fact of the matter is that all the NexStar types are basically the same with respect to the limited subset of commands we send them.

Bill

#49 StarCurious

StarCurious

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

Bill,

I updated my Starsense firmware via CFM, and the result is the same. While I can connect skysafari pro 4 android to the starsense hand controller via bluetooth and can even control the mount via skysafari pro 4, the goto positions are based on time entered on the hand controller, not the position shown in skysafari pro based on current time. The starsense hand controller is not picking up time from skysafari pro.

Thanks,

Joseph

Edited by StarCurious, 23 May 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#50 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:25 PM

Joseph,

To pursue this further, please open a trouble ticket.  This can't be our support site.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics