•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is Using Redshift Pro?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have heard about Redshift software for may years but never looked at it.  This Saturday I was watching the posted video of Redshift Pro for iproducts, over on Redshift Live webpage and was blown away by some of the features it showed.  A custom made video for consumer consumption is one thing, using it in real time is something else, usually.  So, those who use Redshift Pro, does it really fly you to a Planetary Nebula, Aldebaran or Mars's moon Deimos and orbit it and shown fine detail, when available, with just a press or maybe two presses of a finger?  I see lots of public outreach potential if Redshift Pro really operates the way it is shown in the video.  What do you think of this product?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

I've used RedShift now and then over the years, and  have tried the current...and...for ME...

The problem with the software, in part, is just the features you cite. If you're an armchair astronomer or an astronomy educator, it might be different, but for the working observer stuff like this just gets in the way. ;)

These days, RedShift is certainly a competent program capable of doing most things. Including controlling telescopes via ASCOM.

I have a soft spot in my heart for RedShift, since RedShift 1 was the first birthday present I got from my then girlfriend (now my wife) back in freaking 1994, but would I revisit it today? No...just too many other better/cheaper choices. And that is true whether you are talking the app or the PC version.

If you want an iOS app...I would strongly advise you to look at SkySafari first. ;)

Edited by rmollise, 02 March 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#3 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

Thank you for the info on Redshift Uncle Rod.  I was thinking of the potential of Redshift Pro, used on an ipad, during public outreach sessions; lots of wiz-bang interaction there.  For my own observing, I use the paper "Deep- Sky Hunter Star Atlas" by Michael Vlasov with custom print outs from Wikisky with my 20" Dob or Sky Safari 5 Pro on my iphone 5S with my C11 GPS.  I was skeptical about the claims Sky Safari 5 Pro made but I'm a true believer now!

O' if you still want to run your C11 rig wirelessly, have a gander at my post on a WiFi adaper over in the NexStar section.  It even works well with Stellarium\StellariumScope on the PC.

#4 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

Well I took the plunge and got Redshift Pro from the app store for my iphone 5S.  I have not had a lot of time to play with it but so far it has been easy to maneuver within the settings and it is living up to expectations.  Looks to be a nice rainy day exploration program and a tool during public star parties.

#5 stringbeans

stringbeans

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

What is the latest version of Redshift? I take it that Redshift Pro is for IOS mobile devices, but what about the Windows Desktop version? Would that still be Redshift 8 Premium?

#6 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

stringbeans, you are correct, RS Pro is for mobile iproducts and the RS home page shows vs 8 as the most current for Windows XP/7/8.x/10

#7 stringbeans

stringbeans

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for confirmation.

#8 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

I had a chance to use Redshift Pro connected by WiFi to my C11 GPS scope this past Saturday night.  I performed a 3 star "Skyalign" with the hand controller at the start of the evening.  Connection was a snap and pointing accuracy was as good as Sky Safari Pro 5.  A big issue I can across was tapping the telescope "GoTo" icon; it is small on my iphone 5S.  Once I manage to tap the icon, the scope slewed to the object and places the object in the FOV of my Meade 8.8mm UWA eyepiece.  That works just fine.  The indicator on the screen that shows where the scope is pointed at, is a small "telescope" not a "bullseye" or a "crosshair" so it never centers atop the object but off to the side.  I think if I had been using an ipad or mini ipad then the GoTo icon would have been easier to tap.  Considering that I will be using this app for interacting with the public at public star parties, using an ipad then these are non- issues.  Even Deep Sky folks like me cannot help say "Cool!" when orbiting a Planetary Nebula or seeing the sky from the surface of Earth's Moon, which Redshift Pro allows you to do.

#9 stringbeans

stringbeans

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

Does Redshift 8 Premium (Desktop PC Version) have an aspect ratio of 16.9 for todays widescreen monitors? 

I ask because the specs say on the Redshift Live product page say that the graphics is 1024x768. Isn't that the old square 4.3 monitor size? That would mean horrible black bars on each side of my monitor. 

You can probably stretch it to fit but that would distort the image.

#10 knightware

knightware

Vendor (Knightware)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hi Stringbeans,

I'm running Redshift 8 Premium (Windows 10 desktop) on a 16:9 screen with no black bars or other artifacts. I'm running 2k res (1920x1080). Looks perfectly normal.

#11 stringbeans

stringbeans

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Excellent! Thank you.

#12 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

I had a chance to use Redshift Pro connected by WiFi to my C11 GPS scope this past Saturday night.  I performed a 3 star "Skyalign" with the hand controller at the start of the evening.  Connection was a snap and pointing accuracy was as good as Sky Safari Pro 5.  A big issue I can across was tapping the telescope "GoTo" icon; it is small on my iphone 5S.  Once I manage to tap the icon, the scope slewed to the object and places the object in the FOV of my Meade 8.8mm UWA eyepiece.  That works just fine.  The indicator on the screen that shows where the scope is pointed at, is a small "telescope" not a "bullseye" or a "crosshair" so it never centers atop the object but off to the side.  I think if I had been using an ipad or mini ipad then the GoTo icon would have been easier to tap.  Considering that I will be using this app for interacting with the public at public star parties, using an ipad then these are non- issues.  Even Deep Sky folks like me cannot help say "Cool!" when orbiting a Planetary Nebula or seeing the sky from the surface of Earth's Moon, which Redshift Pro allows you to do.

I've wondered about Redshift Pro myself for some time, though I'm very happy with Sky Safari Pro on my iPad and MacBook Pro. Fair to say then that Redshift Pro and Sky Safari Pro complement each other somewhat, with Redshift Pro a little better for outreach/planetarium type stuff (orbiting planetary nebulas, etc.) and Sky Safari Pro a little better for observing?

#13 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:35 AM

Hard to beat Sky Safari's incredible built-in object information!  (Still too tiny to read'for many of us, but at least it's there!  :) )

#14 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

I would say that is a fair summation of the two programs turtle86. 

#15 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

I would say that is a fair summation of the two programs turtle86. 

Thank you! I wound up getting Red Shift Pro and really like it so far. Nice, elegant interface. It looks to be well thought out and easy to use. I really don't see the planetarium features getting in the way of using it simply as an observing tool. As for the planetarium features, the 3-D models and tours are excellent and great fun.  Well worth $20 IMHO.

#16 dreven71

dreven71

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hey all, I'm somewhat new to this. Years ago I had Starry Nights (I think) on my PC and it allowed you to do a few things, including but not limited to:

+ see the stars positions on any given date

+ display constellations

+ had info about constellations and stars/charts

+ you could zoom out of the galaxy and have a macro view of the system

+ you had a 'spaceship mode' that gave a guided tour of the solar system, etc

I'm seeing Redshift 8 and Pro on Amazon.com but am curious as to which other programs will allow me to do these same things, at a reasonable price.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Apologies if this has been covered in another thread.

#17 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

dreven71, Sky Safari Pro will allow you to do most of the listed items.  I do not think there is a Solar System tour mode like RedShift 8 Pro has.

#18 stringbeans

stringbeans

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

Sky Safari (Desktop Version), only available for Macs and not PCs.

#19 Hilmi

Hilmi

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• Vendors

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

I had used RedShift 5 and RedShift 6, they used to have a wonderful feature which would tell you if the new moon will be visible from your location. This was great for predicting public holidays in the Arab world. When I moved to Windows vista it stopped working. Now I was interested in version 8 precisely for that specific feature which I valued a lot. I go to their website and they don't even offer a downloadable demo. For me a company that does not offer a downloadable demo is a big red flag. Next red flag, my boxed version is not recognized as valid upgrade version. Next red flag, not a single review on the internet.

I decided I should just keep away until I find some actual users out there. It's a shame they have gone down this direction as I have not been much pleased with the new user interface of Starry Night. All the functions are hidden away from the user in the interest of making it less cluttered in the screen. But in exchange, you loose the ability to easily discover functionality and sometimes spend ages trying to trigger a function you had triggered earlier. The Sky is way overwhelming in it's user interface and some things are laid out in a totally illogical way. My favorite software so far is the previous generation of StarryNight, version 5 of red shift and purely for generating lists, I like SkyTools 3

#20 hypertech

hypertech

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:32 PM

I went ahead and purchased redshift pro iOS ,but I for the world cannot get it to hook up to my skyqlink on my nexstar 8 se,I was wondering if anybody could help me. Thanks

#21 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Redshift will not be able to talk to the mount through the SkyQ Link.  Simulation Curriculum partnered with Celestron to put that functionality in the SkyPortal app and in SkySafari.  Their engineers wrote much of the underlying code in SkySafari that communicates with SkyQ Link and the makers of Redshift will not have that.

#22 hypertech

hypertech

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Thank you very much for the feed back

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics