•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

USB to Serial Adapter Windows 10 Driver

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VimanaPilot

VimanaPilot

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hello, this is my first thread here. I have been having trouble connecting my Meade DS-2114S to my laptop. I have to use a USB to Serial adapter, but the autostar software does not find my telescope, I suspect it may be the driver for the comm3 port not working correctly in Windows 10. Actually, I'm not sure what the problem is. Is there a special driver for this to work in Windows 10? If anyone knows what may be happening I would appreciate some help. Thanks

• Charlespl likes this

#2 leveye

leveye

Aurora

• ***--
  • Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

Do you have the correct comm port selected? Check in Device manager for which port is being used when you have the Serial adapter plugged in. I've had the best luck with FTDI adapters myself.

Edited by leveye, 01 March 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#3 btdevine

btdevine

Mariner 2

• Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:52 PM

Hello, this is my first thread here. I have been having trouble connecting my Meade DS-2114S to my laptop. I have to use a USB to Serial adapter, but the autostar software does not find my telescope, I suspect it may be the driver for the comm3 port not working correctly in Windows 10. Actually, I'm not sure what the problem is. Is there a special driver for this to work in Windows 10? If anyone knows what may be happening I would appreciate some help. Thanks

Welcome to CN!

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:31 AM

When I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10  my USB serial adapter no longer worked. When I went into Windows device manager I could see it had an error. After some research I found out that it had an old chipset used in the USB serial adapter and it was no longer supported. There was no driver for Windows 8 or Windows 10. So I went out and bought a new one off of ebay for $13:

Sabrent USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 Converter Cable (CB-DB9P)

It works great on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

#5 NeilG

NeilG

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Forest, UK

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:15 AM

Ditto - upgraded to Win10 and the cable didn;t work - had to buy a new one

Edited by NeilG, 03 March 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#6 KD58

KD58

Viking 1

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

I had similar problems plus my Mount Hub Pro wasn't even recognized by the laptop. Had to go back to Windows 7. 

Khavar

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

Before you buy new equipment, try running that piece of gear in "compatability mode" in Win10. it might work and will save you a few $$. 

#8 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

I had the same problem with my laptop when I had to update the firmware on my NexStar+ handset. I bought the correct cable and the USB to Serial Adapter, but even tho Windows 10 found it, I never could get it to work. I finally dug out my old XP machine and it worked. I would love to get a pm if anybody finds a workaround for it.

I don't usually hang around this Forum...

Thanks..

Duane......and good Luck

#9 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:54 PM

If your USB/Serial adapter has a Prolific PL-2303 chips set, you can go to Prolific site and download their latest drivers. In the download package is a CheckChipVersion.exe and it will tell you the chip sets version. Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X versions of the chips. There is also a warning about counterfeit clone chips coming from china.

http://prolificusa.c...2303hx-drivers/

• jackofalltrades likes this

#10 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

Welcome to the new improved free Windows. ;)

Blueman 

#11 bgi

bgi

Apollo

• Loc: Ga

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

If your USB/Serial adapter has a Prolific PL-2303 chips set, you can go to Prolific site and download their latest drivers. In the download package is a CheckChipVersion.exe and it will tell you the chip sets version. Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X versions of the chips. There is also a warning about counterfeit clone chips coming from china.

http://prolificusa.c...2303hx-drivers/

The profilic driver works for many of the USB/Serial adapters.  Often a windows 10 update will remove the driver, requiring you to re-install it.  The automatic update and driver search will not find it.

#12 dbassi48

dbassi48

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Trento, Italy

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

This is a well know problem of many old Prolific devices, including some chinese fakes (see the Prolific web site for details). A possible solution, working under Windows 10, consists of forcing the system to use an old version of the driver. In my case the driver version 3.24.25.218(07/10/2010) works perfectly.

You must:

a) Install in your computer a working old version of the driver. Installation must be done when the PC is NOT connected to the web, to avoid the automatic installation of the last Windows 10 non compatible version of the driver. You may get the old working driver from one of the chinese vendors in Ebay (not available from official Prolific Channels).

b) Remember to use always the same USB port to connect the USB-to-RS232 cable to your PC.. If you use a different port, the PC will automatically load from the web the Windows 10 driver and the USB-to-RS232 cable will not work any more.

c) If case b) occurs, open the Windows device manager, and update the driver of the Prolific USB-to-RS232 Comm Port. Choose to manually install a driver already present in your PC and force the PC to install the working old version of the driver.

Edited by dbassi48, 13 March 2016 - 03:38 PM.

• ccs_hello, Dark Star and jackofalltrades like this

#13 Dark Star

Dark Star

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

FWIW, I have been getting "upgrade to Windows 10" messages on my Windows 8.1 laptop for literally months now, and I just downloaded an app called GWX Control Panel (http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/), which I highly recommend to anyone that does not want to upgrade their Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 without their consent. My telescope mount, camera, focuser, and usb-to-serial adapters all work just fine the way they are, and I don't want the headache of spending several nights to weeks trying to reconfigure everything after upgrading to something Microsoft is trying to force upon me (in addition to also no longer giving me the option to install Windows Updates or not). Sorry for the rant.

Kevin

#14 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

I've now upgraded all 5 of my computers to Windows 10. I use a wide range of astronomy software. Every upgrade has gone smoothly. I have not had to reinstall a single item. The problem with Prolific chip sets has been around since Windows 8. It's really up to the chip vendors to upgrade their drivers, not Microsoft. I use the FTDI stuff so it's not a problem on either of my mounts. I'm sure, though, that many people bought the prolific (I bought two back in 2008) based on recommendations from the telescope/software vendors. I may try the suggested work around because I still have two of these sitting in my parts drawer gathering dust and who knows when I might need one for something.. 

Rgrds-Ross

• Paul G likes this

#15 chase20

chase20

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

Remove all usb drivers and delete all usb device configurations.

Then install again and use compatibility mode when needed.

USB View is a program which will show you all the devices, you may have the same device installed multiple times which may cause issue.

I also found that different drivers from the actual chipset manufactuer worked where as those on the driver disc did not.

#16 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

The root cause of the issue is due to

1.  FTDI and Prolific as IC manufacturers started to clamp down "other sources" of USB-serial ICs that "borrowed" their chips' USB_Id

(sort of hint:  http://www.cloudynig...ngle-in-win-10/  )

2. Recent Windows (especially 10, began back-ported to 8.1 and eventually W7) changed MS (and its partners: software and hardware manufacturers) and end-users.

Getting the drivers from the 'net (this is how #1 could get inside of your PC to fulfill its task), making update not easily block-able (at least in "Home" version),

hiding the "recommended" type of updates into "important" (need to install, unless uncheck an option in advanced setup menu) type, etc.

There are two possible ways to address them...

1. Buy the proper devices (e.g., find device that is 2303HXD or HX revision D) so won't get tripped, until next round.

2. Use various ways to go back to the old version of the driver which did not have these new "clamp down" measures. AND AT THE SAME TIME,

perform several tasks and constantly on-watch to make sure the recent update won't sneak in.  (or need to undo the accident again...)

BTW, setting backward compatibility mode won't work.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Edited by ccs_hello, 19 May 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#17 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Update Win10 from 7 and just had to uninstall then reinstall the QHY5L driver.

New Intel PCstick with Win10 and no issues.

I am running three serial with five USB plugged in. Two are cameras.

It's always a idea to goto the Windows device manager, then select view hidden devices and delete those. If your device is not running the uninstall both the hidden and non hidden for that device.

You may be amazed how many hidden ones you have, due to plugging into different USB ports over time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics