•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroLive USB Video Tour

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

https://youtu.be/VZd-FGiab1Q

Here is a well done YouTube video with Kyle demonstrating the soon to be released AstroLive USB. Serves as a basic tutorial also. I assume that because the program is still in beta, there may be some final changes before it is released.

(I'm not affiliated in any way with AstroLive or the company - just interested in the sw for EAA)

Jon

• Relativist, roelb, Kaikul and 1 other like this

#2 Kaikul

Kaikul

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

This is shaping up to be a Swiss Army Knife software. Yay, Kyle!

• Gary Z likes this

#3 RafaelP

RafaelP

Ranger 4

• Loc: NYC

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Looks just what I want!  Everything in one place, well organized and uncluttered.  I look forward to using it when it is released.

~Rafael 

#4 StarCurious

StarCurious

Messenger

• Loc: York Region, Ontario

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

This looks very neat and organized. The ability to fine tune focus is a nice feature. What would be the choices and approximate prices for USB focusers? I am starting out with the Celestron 102 SLT to learn EAA with ASI 224 MC. I may replace the C102 when I learn more and figure out what I want to do. The replacement may be a fast, light 6 inch newtonian or C6, both with focal reduction and as much reduction and correcting as affordable. USB filter wheel control would be nice, as this would complete the remote control experience in cold climates. I use an ASUS Windows 10 Netbook, which is light enough to hang in a bag from the arm of the mount, along with the hand controller and bluetooth adapter. There is therefore no cord wrap issue. I use a Samsung tablet (whi8ch also runs SkySafari Pro) with Teamviewer to control the Windows netbook.

#5 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

Focuser options range from something like the Rigel nStep which can be adapted to motorize an existing focuser to a focuser replacement with motor like the Moonlite. There's lots of great options that vary in price from fairly affordable to runinous depending on what you're looking for. I have filter wheel control on my list to do in the future.
  • StarCurious likes this

#6 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canton du Jura, Switzerland

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

is that compatible with ASI224MC?

Best,

marco

Here is a well done YouTube video with Kyle demonstrating the soon to be released AstroLive USB. Serves as a basic tutorial also. I assume that because the program is still in beta, there may be some final changes before it is released.

(I'm not affiliated in any way with AstroLive or the company - just interested in the sw for EAA)

Jon

• Gary Z likes this

#7 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

Yes it is.

• Gary Z and JonNPR like this

#8 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

is that compatible with ASI224MC?

Best,

marco

Jon

Yes, the ASI224MC is one of my primary test cameras.  It has native support for the ZWO ASI cameras, SX cameras, and Atik cameras plus support through ASCOM on Windows for other cameras which have an ASCOM driver.

#9 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

Kyle, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between native support and ASCOM support? What features are available in native support that are otherwise lacking?

Jon

#10 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:22 PM

For a camera which is supported by both there isn't a whole lot of difference.  It's slightly faster to download the image into the software for processing if you don't go through the extra ASCOM layer, and sometimes there are certain things that a camera supports via the native SDK which aren't available through the ASCOM driver since ASCOM presents a standard interface for all cameras.  The key one is/was gain which wasn't supported on ASCOM ICameraV1 drivers (the ASCOM 5 era), but gain is now supported on ICameraV2 drivers (the ASCOM 6 era), so it isn't an issue any more.  The main benefit for me is that if the native SDK for the camera is good I can write the control code once and have it work for the camera on both Mac and Windows.  ASCOM only works on Windows, so on Mac I generally have no choice but to support the cameras via their native SDKs.  (There is INDI for cameras on Mac, but INDI is a much higher overhead system than ASCOM since it is built around a client-server setup where your devices can be connected to some entirely different computer over a network.)

The other main benefit to native control is that there is nothing in the middle between AstroLive USB and the camera, so no code that I don't control can screw something up in a way I can't predict.  Not all ASCOM drivers are of equal quality.  It is conceivable that in the future for cameras which have a good quality ASCOM driver and an SDK which differs greatly between Mac and Windows I will only implement native control on Mac and have that camera use ASCOM on Windows, but I haven't run into that situation yet.  There are also some cameras for which no real option exists for Mac control (no SDK or similar), but an ASCOM driver exists.  These would be supported only on Windows and only via ASCOM.

• JonNPR and roelb like this

#11 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:39 AM

Thanks Kyle. I have a feeling that there is an influx in new and relatively new EAA observers, many who were not previously astrophotographers. Can be a lot to learn even for veteran observers. CN is a big help in the process.

Jon

#12 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canton du Jura, Switzerland

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

Kyle,

I will try it when my ASI224MC will be delivered.

I've seen on the website that there is a 30 day trial period.

I will try and if I like it I will buy it.

Best,

Marco

#13 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

Kyle,

I will try it when my ASI224MC will be delivered.

I've seen on the website that there is a 30 day trial period.

I will try and if I like it I will buy it.

Best,

Marco

Marco,

The product on the website is AstroLive Classic, which is the previous product focused on analog video cameras.  The video here is of my upcoming product AstroLive USB which is currently in beta test and not yet for sale.  It will have a trial period also, however.

Kyle

#14 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:21 AM

Looks very promising Kyle.

A great addition to the EAA field  :)

One question though. In the Focusing features, will it give  a reading for best focus for manual focusing?

#15 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

No, currently the autofocus tool is purely built for automated focusing.  I don't see why I couldn't adapt it to do so, however.  I might add that in the future, although personally I usually use a focus mask to focus manually which seems to be the fastest way.

Kyle

#16 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

Thank Kyle.

I also use a Bahtinov mask to initially focus, but it would be nice not to have to walk outside to put it on and take it off again every time when wanting to check focusing during the night as the temperature drops. Just a handy tool to have up the sleeve.  :waytogo:

#17 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

Sounds like a good idea.  I'll add it to the list.

• StarCurious and roelb like this

#18 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

Sounds like a good idea.  I'll add it to the list.

Thanks  :)

#19 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

I'll be hosting a Google Hangout "office hours" tonight at 9:30pm EDT (UTC-4) for anyone who would like to ask questions about the software and I can also demonstrate things (probably using previously captured images since the weather looks like it will be bad).

https://plus.google....CIXswsyP9MmGkAE

• sdeaches likes this

#20 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

I'll second that suggestion about having the ability to get a focus "score" (contrast check/FWHM). It will indeed be helpful in remote access setups.

#21 Rich_B

Rich_B

Mariner 2

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

what's the difference between the USB cameras Astrolive and the USB analog Astrolive? Analog doesn't get straight into computers, right? There's still a USB grabber involved ?

#22 JPKellysr

JPKellysr

Messenger

• Loc: Genoa, Nevada, USA

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

Analog cameras require a "frame grabber", which is a piece of hardware, to interact with a computer (USB instrument.) The original Astrolive was made to work with analog devices. The new Astrolive will is targeted at USB devices.

The analog cameras (older Mallincams) will work with a simple TV, no computer required, & as I understand, produce fantastic results. You get a nice full TV screen of gorgeous pictures unpolluted by histograms & other such things.

Mallincam has developed the Sky Raider series which are USB (usb = digital, analog = analog). USB devices produce files that are easy to save & to process with things like Photoshop. The framegrabber does convert the analog output to digital so in can be viewed & saved on computers. The down side to all of the USB devices & their programs is a computer screen full of distracting "boxes."

Now I am a newbie & that is my take.

#23 Robrj

Robrj

Apollo

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

So, when does AstroLive USB go live?

#24 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

This month.  I'll be releasing the final beta version shortly which will then be soon followed by the commercial release.  Everything is really done with the program, I'm just working on a new AstroLive website to sell it and some licensing-type things.

• Relativist, StarMike8SE and Robrj like this

#25 JPKellysr

JPKellysr

Messenger

• Loc: Genoa, Nevada, USA

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

I have my Atik 414ex up for sale. May I should keep it. Do you expect it will work well with AstroLive USB?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics