•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroLive USB Video Tour

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#26 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

I have my Atik 414ex up for sale. May I should keep it. Do you expect it will work well with AstroLive USB?

I'd ask Kyle if you can try the beta.

#27 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

The Atik 414ex will work with AstroLive USB.  The downloads may be slightly slow compared to the Infinity, but it should be a good performer.

#28 Lightpath

Lightpath

Vostok 1

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:49 AM

Any love for the Mallincam Universe?  :)

#29 roelb  Happy Birthday!

roelb

Apollo

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hello Kyle,

Is their already a newer ß-release than the version V.0.6.0?
Thanks in advance.

#30 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

No, Beta 6 is the current latest.  I was on holiday for a week and a half and also working on some other projects for a bit.  Beta 7 will be out soon.

• roelb likes this

#31 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

The Mallincam Universe may work with the ASCOM driver I released for it last year, but I have not done any testing with the camera on AstroLive USB and do not currently plan to do so.

#32 Lightpath

Lightpath

Vostok 1

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Kyle.  I have a SX-694 on order.  Do you think it will work with that?

#33 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

Yes, it will work.  The download time for each frame will be a bit slower than the EAA focused cameras and it might need a bit longer exposure, but it should work nicely and produce some really nice images.

#34 StarCurious

StarCurious

Messenger

• Loc: York Region, Ontario

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

No, currently the autofocus tool is purely built for automated focusing.  I don't see why I couldn't adapt it to do so, however.  I might add that in the future, although personally I usually use a focus mask to focus manually which seems to be the fastest way.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Have you added manual focus to the latest beta or initial release versions?

Would AstroLive USB autofocus support electronic focusers without absolute positions.  I have the Orion AccuFocus and one possibility is to buy the Shoestring Astronomy's FCUSB board to control it via USB, but these won't give absolute positions.

#35 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

The is not manual focus assist presently and it probably won't make it in before the release.  It's on my list and I'd like to do it, but right now I've decided to not add any more features and just get everything ready for the release.  The autofocus doesn't currently support relative focusers.  It's technically feasible to add support (I think, I haven't really thought all the way through it yet) and it has been requested several times, so it's on my list, but it's a bit further down than the manual focus assist.

#36 Lightpath

Lightpath

Vostok 1

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

Yes, it will work.  The download time for each frame will be a bit slower than the EAA focused cameras and it might need a bit longer exposure, but it should work nicely and produce some really nice images.

What would be your goto cooled camera to work with your software?

#37 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

The camera I personally use the most is the ASI224MC-Cool.  I use a Hyperstar setup, so I value larger chip size less than most other setups would.  When I don't use Hyperstar I use either the 224 or a Lodestar X2 and I use a 6" scope in that case.  I would say the most suitable cameras, both cooled and uncooled, based on my recent testing and testing by beta testers would be (in no particular order):

• ASI224, ASI290, ASI1600 (Cooled or Uncooled)
  • Lodestar, Lodestar X2, Ultrastar, (Uncooled) or SX694 (Cooled)
  • Infinity, (Uncooled) or 460EX, 414EX (Cooled)
  • QHY5-III 224 or 290 (Cooled available soon)

All of these cameras have good sensitivity and decent enough download speed (460EX and SX694 are on the slowish side).  Some are more sensitive than other and have different FOV and pixel sizes, but from that list there should be several to choose from given the constraints of your particular setup.  On Mac the QHY cameras aren't an option since their Mac/Linux driver does not work well and I haven't built it into AstroLive USB.  All the other cameras listed should work well on AstroLive USB on either Windows or Mac.

• JonNPR and roelb like this

#38 BrendanF

BrendanF

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

Will AstroLive USB support multiple cameras at once, or could one run two instances (with the explicit ability to choose the camera)?   I was thinking it would be cool to have one screen for the main camera on the bigger scope and one as an electronic view finder, using another camera with a piggy-backed finder scope.

#39 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canton du Jura, Switzerland

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

Excellent point BrendanF

Will AstroLive USB support multiple cameras at once, or could one run two instances (with the explicit ability to choose the camera)?   I was thinking it would be cool to have one screen for the main camera on the bigger scope and one as an electronic view finder, using another camera with a piggy-backed finder scope.

#40 Lightpath

Lightpath

Vostok 1

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

The camera I personally use the most is the ASI224MC-Cool.  I use a Hyperstar setup, so I value larger chip size less than most other setups would.  When I don't use Hyperstar I use either the 224 or a Lodestar X2 and I use a 6" scope in that case.  I would say the most suitable cameras, both cooled and uncooled, based on my recent testing and testing by beta testers would be (in no particular order):

All of these cameras have good sensitivity and decent enough download speed (460EX and SX694 are on the slowish side).  Some are more sensitive than other and have different FOV and pixel sizes, but from that list there should be several to choose from given the constraints of your particular setup.  On Mac the QHY cameras aren't an option since their Mac/Linux driver does not work well and I haven't built it into AstroLive USB.  All the other cameras listed should work well on AstroLive USB on either Windows or Mac.

You're awesome, stay awesome please.  I'm hopefully going to receive my SX694 and Lodestar X2 soon (I bought the kit), thanks for including the sx694 on this list. :)   I will have two cameras on this list.  Yay!  Can't wait!

#41 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canton du Jura, Switzerland

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

So, when we can buy/use this software?

M

#42 Lightpath

Lightpath

Vostok 1

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

Excellent point BrendanF

Being able to use two cameras in two instances or windows of Astrolive USB would be amazing.

#43 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

I would imagine that this should not be a problem.  I already use two instances of Sharpcap and it works just fine.

Al

#44 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

Yes, you can run two AstroLive USB at once and choose different cameras for each one.

#45 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

So, when we can buy/use this software?

M

The beta test is nearing completion.  The final beta will be released shortly and then the commercial release.  I'm working on finishing touches to UI scaling better for different screen sizes, a manual, fixing a few bugs, etc.

• OleCuss, JonNPR, roelb and 1 other like this

#46 vdb

vdb

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:21 AM

Woaw, really impressive ... I read somewhere plate solving is that correct?

If so for future releases it would be nice to have automated imaging runs, where one could program different filters/objects for the night with pier flip if needed ...

And Mac support is really nice, if you add the above features it would speak to the traditional ccd imagers a lot, would be a nice alternative to Nebulosity ...

#47 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:46 AM

Looking forward to buying your software. It has been a long time coming... Congratulations.

#48 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

Yes it plate solves.  I might have something up my sleeve a little while later for automation, but I don't think it would fall under this forum category since it's not "live".

#49 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

Looking forward to buying your software. It has been a long time coming... Congratulations.

Thanks!  Yes, it has taken a while to get it finished since I can only work on it evenings/weekends since the market isn't large enough to support me full time working on it.

• Relativist, roelb, StarMike8SE and 1 other like this

#50 ilovecomets

ilovecomets

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

Stumbled across this software today. I am very excited for it to be released. It if does half the things mentioned here and in other posts well it will be really good software. If it does all of it well, then you'll be getting lots of business. My credit card (or Paypal) is ready to buy when it is released. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics