•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroLive USB Video Tour

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#51 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

It should be just a matter of a couple days now.  The manual is the only thing left to do before the release.

• Relativist, OleCuss, JonNPR and 1 other like this

#52 geyes30

geyes30

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

Please Kyle just take my money and give me the software now! You're killing me with all this waiting!
  • Robrj likes this

#53 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

Kyle,

Don't know if it is possible but can you do some video tutorials, that would be much better than a manual, you can still have the manual but video tutorials will help a broader audience. Just a suggestion.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#54 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

I'd love to do video tutorials, in fact that's what this thread is about, a video tutorial I made. :)

I will keep releasing videos, I'm trying desperately to get this thing released as soon as possible.  The initial manual will probably be a bit abbreviated to get the software released (I need to at least document known limitations and hardware compatibility, general workflow, etc. before releasing or else I'll be inundated with email).

• Relativist, charotarguy, Robrj and 1 other like this

#55 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:38 AM

Kyle

Good Job on NSN.....BTW
And it looks like a good place to do a USB Astrolive Tutorial...

And maybe for training session and online testing ..

Bob
  • A. Viegas likes this

#56 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

Kyle

Good Job on NSN.....BTW
And it looks like a good place to do a USB Astrolive Tutorial...

And maybe for training session and online testing ..

Bob

+1

#57 JPKellysr

JPKellysr

Messenger

• Loc: Genoa, Nevada, USA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

Can anyone suggest a netbook, say around 10", that is not too expensive, that will work well with Astrolive.

JPK

#58 Robrj

Robrj

Apollo

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

I have the Surface 3 which works well with Sharpcap.  I don't think anyone can say yet how netbooks or my Surface will work with Astrolive USB as it's not released yet and the beta was closed to netbooks/tablets. 

I'll give a report when the demo version is released.

#59 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

Since the beginning of the beta the performance of AstroLive USB has increased greatly.  In January it would have been a stretch to run a 16MP camera like the ASI1600 with AstroLive USB on any netbook or tablet really, which is why I didn't have anyone testing that during the beta.  Now, though, that's probably a lot more realistic.  If you're not using a 10MP+ camera, things are obviously much easier for the machine and performance shouldn't really even be a consideration.  Any recent computing device will most likely be fine.  Even with the higher MP devices performance is so fast now it probably will be fine on tablet and netbooks anyhow.

• Relativist, roelb and Robrj like this

#60 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

I just ordered the cooled color ASI1600 so I am looking forward to buying the AstroLive USB.  I will be using it with my C11 EdgeHD in Hyperstar mode. I also bought the EOS adapter and camera holder ring so I can do very wide fields with some of my EOS lens.

I also have a f/4 10 inch imaging Newtonian that I will try out with this camera to provide a narrower field of view than my Hyperstar setup.

#61 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

Can I pay for AstroLive USB once and use it on both my Windows 10 and Mac OSX laptop?

#62 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

Can I pay for AstroLive USB once and use it on both my Windows 10 and Mac OSX laptop?

Yes you can.  When you order it from my website (it's available now) you will get both versions.  If you will only be using it with your ASI1660 you won't even have to buy it though, through a partnership with ZWO you can get a version for ZWO cameras for free from my website.

Edited by KGoodwin, 07 May 2016 - 02:25 PM.

• Relativist, JonNPR and Robrj like this

#63 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

Wow, that makes me even happier about my ASI1600 purchase. I will have to use my ASI174 to play with AstroLive USB until the ASI1600 color cooled version arrives.

Thank you for partnering with ZWO. I just downloaded the ZWO version.

#64 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

Wow, that makes me even happier about my ASI1600 purchase. I will have to use my ASI174 to play with AstroLive USB until the ASI1600 color cooled version arrives.

Thank you for partnering with ZWO. I just downloaded the ZWO version.

Jeff, I for one am really looking forward to seeing your images and hearing about your experiences with your ASI1600 color cooled camera and C11 Edge/Hyperstar combo and AstroLive USB. I am seriously considering this same combo of camera and software for my C-14 Edge with Hyperstar. I hope you'll share your experiences and images here (or in a new topic)!

#65 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

Well I am sure I am in for a wait until the camera ships. I hope to take the setup to dark skies for 4 nights at the Golden State Star Party. That would be a better test than my light polluted back yard. 

The AstroLive USB software has been running on my Windows 10 laptop for about an hour taken frames of my neighbor's tree using the ZWO ASI174MM. The software looks good. My laptop is a Dell with a pitiful 1366x768 touchscreen display. The AstroLive USB software has a few elements that don't fit vertically at the bottom of my laptop display. I can hit the maximize window and see the elements but a few other things aren't laid out correctly when I do. It is easy enough to work around. I can maximize the window to see the bottom elements and toggle back to see the rest of the screen elements laid out correctly.  When in my backyard observatory I may plug in a 2nd display since I have regular AC power available there.

I have a Mac Pro 17 inch but I just remembered there are no USB 3 ports on that laptop. It was purchased in 2010 so I may consider buying another one within the next year. Both laptops have i5 processors, 8 gigs of RAM and 512 GB SSD drives I added after buying them. 

#66 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

You can resize and collapse panels you aren't using by dragging the handles between the panels to help things fit. You can also collapse an entire column by dragging it to the left or right edge of the screen. That screen size is smaller then the minimum I'm testing on (1080p) but it should be mostly workable. There's a lot of things to control, so I've tried to make it as condensed and simple as possible.

#67 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

I haven't read a manual yet so thanks for the directions. I was able to move the elements upward and fit everything so it looks great on the 768 high screen. I reduced the vertical size of the target list which is scrollable anyway. Hopefully by Monday night it will be clear enough to test it using stars and DSOs.

#68 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

You can resize and collapse panels you aren't using by dragging the handles between the panels to help things fit. You can also collapse an entire column by dragging it to the left or right edge of the screen. That screen size is smaller then the minimum I'm testing on (1080p) but it should be mostly workable. There's a lot of things to control, so I've tried to make it as condensed and simple as possible.

Kyle,

I too have been looking at my neighbor's tree using Astrolive. I'm using a 1280 x 800 display on my laptop and I can't get the handles between the panels to do anything no matter what I try.  Also noticed that same issue that Jeff has when I maximise my screen. I've been looking for the manual to help - Is it going to be out today? I'd rather not bog down the discussion until I have a chance to study the manual.

Edit: Okay, it looks like when the screen is maximised the  up/down panel handles don't work for the panels on the left side of the screen ( the camera controls - adjustments, processing, stacking, exposure), but the up/down handles do work for the right side of the screen (telescope and focus). When the screen is not maximised, the up/down panel handles seem to work on both sides.

Edited by alphatripleplus, 07 May 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#69 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

Sorry the manual isn't finished yet, but I got so many people emailing me asking me to just go ahead and release it that I went ahead without. The manual will be done in a few days, it takes a ton of time to take all the screenshots and explain all the functionality in a meaningful way. I'll look into the handles on the right side not working when maximized issue, it may be related to screen size also, it's hard to test on many different screens without employees... :)
  • gundark likes this

#70 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Congratulations on the release Kyle. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Also thanks to both Sam and Kyle for the partnership to make it available to ZWO camera users. 

#71 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:24 AM

Kyle,

What are the minimum Windows requirements for Astrolive USB?

Any other embedded components (.net, etc.)?

How about video support (DirectX, etc.)? 

#72 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

I have tested it back to Windows 7, but I'm sure it will run on earlier. It does not need .Net or DirectX or any particular video card. It needs ASCOM 6 and the vc2013 redistributable. The installer should take care of checking for ASCOM and installing anything else that's needed.
  • Relativist, mclewis1 and JonNPR like this

#73 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

Kyle,

I do not understand why the program would need DirectX for video support. I thought this software was for USB cameras using a digital signal and it does not include support for the analog cameras?

#74 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

Kyle,

I do not understand why the program would need DirectX for video support. I thought this software was for USB cameras using a digital signal and it does not include support for the analog cameras?

Kyle already answered that it doesn't need DirectX in the post prior to yours.

#75 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

Kyle,

Kyle already answered that it doesn't need DirectX in the post prior to yours.

okay thanks I missed his post.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics