•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroLive USB Video Tour

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#151 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

Curtis, I am relatively positive that I will not be alone in being eager to see your evaluation of the 290.
Jon

Jon, you'll find I'm one of the most conservative purchasers around, but I'm not shy about testing non-standard techniques.
  • Emil K and JonNPR like this

#152 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Lol Kyle gets asked to release prior to the manual and now we want to know where is the manual!

By the way did you notice the 1-1 help offer? That's a great offer I'd jump on. I'm really keen on getting a 290 once some more results come in.

Yes, I remember reading that some were eager to get their hands on AstroLive USB as soon as possible with or without a user manual at the time of the commercial release. I'm not actually looking for one-on-one help (yet!).... I am the strange and fairly uncommon sort of person that actually likes to read a user manual beforehand :) .

I've managed to use both SharpCap and AstroLive USB without a manual, but given the sophistication of some of AstroLive's features, a manual would be fairly useful - at least to me. Just my 2cents worth.

#153 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

Curtis, I'm like probsbly a number of us here - deciding between the 220 and the 290, in relationship to the equipment we will be using the camera on. Lots of info about the ASI220 available, but the new 290 has just poked its shiny pretty face into our FOV. I am aware of some of the hardware differences between the two, and what interpetations of the likely differences in performance might be. But the actual reports from the field can confirm or surprise. So any experiences with it are certainly welcome!

Jon

#154 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

Kyle,

Just wondering if you have an update on when we may see the AstroLive USB user manual? I think the video on your website is helpful as a quick start guide, but it would be great to have something more comprehensive. As an aside, I was able to take a couple of quick shots last night with the ASI224 and got to use the gradient removal function. I had no idea what I was doing, but the gradient removal using default parameters seemed very effective in improving a stack that had no darks and some vignetting. Thanks.

It may be a couple weeks before I get the manual out. I've had a lot going on. You're right that I et the defaults for all the tools to be really reasonable for most usage. My primary testing cameras were a few ZWO models, the lodestar c x2, and an original lodestar mono. They were very different and provided a good set to develop generic defaults.
  • alphatripleplus likes this

#155 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Kyle,

Just wondering if you have an update on when we may see the AstroLive USB user manual? I think the video on your website is helpful as a quick start guide, but it would be great to have something more comprehensive. As an aside, I was able to take a couple of quick shots last night with the ASI224 and got to use the gradient removal function. I had no idea what I was doing, but the gradient removal using default parameters seemed very effective in improving a stack that had no darks and some vignetting. Thanks.

It may be a couple weeks before I get the manual out. I've had a lot going on. You're right that I et the defaults for all the tools to be really reasonable for most usage. My primary testing cameras were a few ZWO models, the lodestar c x2, and an original lodestar mono. They were very different and provided a good set to develop generic defaults.

Thanks very much for your hard work, Kyle.  Looking forward to the manual.

#156 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

Correction: meant to type "ASI224" (not 220)

Curtis, I'm like probsbly a number of us here - deciding between the 220 and the 290, in relationship to the equipment we will be using the camera on. Lots of info about the ASI220 available, but the new 290 has just poked its shiny pretty face into our FOV. I am aware of some of the hardware differences between the two, and what interpetations of the likely differences in performance might be. But the actual reports from the field can confirm or surprise. So any experiences with it are certainly welcome!

Jon

#157 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

The 290 is shaping up to be very nice, especially in Mono.  The small pixels are great for getting a bit better sampling when using a lot of reduction (you could use less reduction and larger pixels for a similar exposure length and image scale, but it would be a different FOV).  It also lacks the conspicuous amp glow which affects the 224.  I think the two are somewhat complementary.  The slightly larger 290 chip size could be good or bad depending on your scope and reducer.

• JonNPR likes this

#158 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Kyle. I am pleased so far with a new Evo mount, despite the apparently common play in the altitude axis. Have been able to get exposures with an X2 mono up to 25 seconds last night. This opens up my choices a bit. 

Jon

#159 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

I was just wondering if there are any pending updates on the AstroLive USB?

It looks like great software but I'm waiting for at least the reticle support before I fork over for the software.  The manual would be nice but not as required from my point of view.

I've seen nothing in the way of updates on the site:  http://astrolive.io/astroliveusb.html and I'm hoping they are happening or are about to happen.

#160 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

PM Klye, he has a thread here:

http://www.cloudynig...-zwo-announced/

• OleCuss likes this

#161 pablotwa

pablotwa

Vostok 1

• Loc: Glendora,CA.USA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

How many licenses do we get when we purchase it? I have 3 computers connected to 3 scopes...

Thanks!

#162 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

You might want to try your query in the vendor thread devoted to AL USB:  http://www.cloudynig...-zwo-announced/

No response from Kyle in that thread in quite some time and the software hasn't had an update in quite a while although Kyle made it clear when he released the software that he didn't consider it a finished product (was getting requests for the software from folk eager to use it even in unfinished state).  I'm hoping for an update to it soon, too much potential there for the software to be abandoned.

#163 Robrj

Robrj

Apollo

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

I think I heard that he's been out of the country for a while (in a location with poor internet).

• OleCuss likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics