•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ROW Rathenow (Kleinmikroskop B)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 glennbech

glennbech

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

I picked up one of these little guys on a German classifieds site today for 25 Euros. 

http://www.microscop...0/rowscope.html

The one I picked up has a 69,xxx serial number (can't remember, and the ad has been taken down after my purchase). There is also a second serial number (or another number) right below the usual one with three numbers 121 / 100 / 121 something (again, can't remember exactly since the photos are gone at the moment)

Does anyone know anything about them?

Edited by glennbech, 11 March 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#2 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

I have one of those as well.

It looks like a toy, but it's actually a pretty good litle field microscope.

They were made by ROW (Rathenower Optische Werke, currently: Askania) and sold by the thousands.

Being inexpensive, they were very popular in schools and I suppose nearly all Eastern European biologists have started their carreer by looking trough a ROW Kleinmikroskop.

More recent versions are the ROW Kleinmikroskop C and the Askania KMC.

Altough ROW is not that well known, they made excellent lab microscopes: the ROW UFD-range,

at the time one of the best polarization microscopes ever, the Poladunn and a (relatively) inexpensive photomicroscope, the (you guessed it...) Mikrophot.

For people, looking for a cheap microscope for the kids, a ROW Kleinmikroskop is the way to go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics