•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2016 RTMC Astronomy Expo

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Censustaker

Censustaker

Apollo

• Loc: Utah

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

Here's an image of the milky way from the telescope field in front of bose lodge.

13320906_10156963590460203_4504205304444626312_o.jpg

Edited by Censustaker, 31 May 2016 - 05:41 PM.

• tim53 likes this

#52 Klitwo

Klitwo

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

As an ATM...I got a big "rush" going to the RTMC in the early 80's when there were always 1,000 or more in attendance....The telescope field was filled with a wide variety of very interesting homemade telescopes back in those days.  I attended my first RTMC in 1979...and after that first one I was "hooked'.  For me...the RTMC throughout the entire 80's were the most interesting and the most memorable.....See the 1981 RTMC link below.

http://rtmcastronomy...RDS/RTMC81.html

Klitwo

Edited by Klitwo, 01 June 2016 - 04:18 AM.

#53 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:12 PM

Darren! I missed you at RTMC, what gives?

drD Woodland Hills Telescopes

• Censustaker likes this

#54 Rich56

Rich56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

Censustaker...are you employed or affiliated with those promoting RTMC? I wish I were as positive about it as you are.

I LOVED RTMC in it's heyday, yet how many still are making their own telescopes?

The picture of the RTMC observing fields in the Sky and Telescope (or was it Astronomy) ad with all the vendors tents must have been taken years and years ago as last year when I went there was like 1-2 tents at best.

What if someone from out of the area spent their money and vacation time to go to RTMC based upon the ad pictures only to find an almost empty field? Kinda seems like a bait and switch to me.

Let's face it, RTMC is for those who like to camp, and since our hobby has an aging demographic, how many want to do that, or add an additional hotel expense just to visit an almost empty observing field?

Are vendors charged to set up their tents? Maybe waiving this fee will help to bring them out.

• Darren Bly likes this

#55 Censustaker

Censustaker

Apollo

• Loc: Utah

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

Censustaker...are you employed or affiliated with those promoting RTMC? I wish I were as positive about it as you are.

Nope, I just enjoy going to meet and and speak to new people, see the scopes, do some observing and enjoy the day-time activities with my kids. The vendor tents are not all that exciting to me, I am able to see and purchase all kinds of astronomy items on the internet. 

Jon.

#56 Fred Ley

Fred Ley

Mariner 2

• Loc: Lancaster,CA(Athens,GR)

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:10 PM

I was able to participate at this years RTMC 2016 through the few photos that have posted on various sites on the internet.

I first attended RTMC in 1983 through 2003. Unfortunately, I did miss 90 and 91.

I am currently "stuck" overseas and thus have not been able to attend since then.

From my vantage point, over here, it certainly appears that RTMC has been getting smaller for quite some years. I don't see the multitude of vendors, attendees and home-made telescopes that I did in the past. Through those years I managed to amass a nice collection of 720 Kodachrome 64 slides of the various instruments displayed at the event.

I vividly recall the Saturday morning, appropriately named, "feeding frenzy" of the Swap Meet. Wow! Just like kids in a candy store-if not worse.

I have read that the snack bar has not been in operation. I hope they bring it back. Lunch always was great from their grill. Something to drink on those hot days was always within arms reach.

Meteorite collecting is another interest of mine. I always found something to purchase at the table with their spread of goodies.

Does anyone know if they plan to bring back the proceedings of the RTMC? I always used to order a copy and have also been able to obtain some of the older proceedings.

The out-houses were a good idea, but their availability slowly waned over the few years they were available.

I always made certain that I got in early Friday morning and left Monday morning. I so much enjoyed immersing myself into "astronomy and telescopes" for those few days. I always wonder how much distance I covered walking between the lecture hall and the telescope field and other areas. Over and over-but so enjoyable.

After 46 years of enjoying this subject, I still long for nightfall, to observe the overwhelming amount of night time objects. Its is never tiring.

Clear Skies Everybody.

Fred

Edited by Fred Ley, 02 June 2016 - 12:15 PM.

• Darren Bly and mtblodgett like this

#57 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

• Loc: Bakersfield, Ca

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

Darren! I missed you at RTMC, what gives?

drD Woodland Hills Telescopes

DANIEL!

I'm not going to go into that again because people get angry with me, but I'll message ya.

Edited by Darren Bly, 02 June 2016 - 09:56 AM.

• mtblodgett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics