•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

For those that are using windows 10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

Please list what programs and drivers, astronomy related, that were broken.

#2 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

I've not experienced any damaged astronomy programs. Drivers will depend on your set-up. 

The following are all fine (for me and my laptop at least).

Stellarium

Cartes de Ciel

Virtual Lunar Atlas

Deep Sky Stacker (DSS)

Registax

Sharpcap

Astroart (old version #4)

Meade Autostar

and Backyard Red. 

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

OK.

<grin>

#4 baron555

baron555

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

I run all the software listed in the signature on Windows 10 (64 bit) with no issues (both my desktop, i-5 32 GB RAM and laptop i-7 16 GB RAM).

I can connect to all USB devices through a powered USB 3.0 hub from my same laptop

#5 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

None to the best of my knowledge. I just upgraded last week. Went like a charm ~75 minutes start to finish ~ 2 minutes of my time involved. all programs I've opened so far behave as expected.

Feel free to list your programs and perhaps the readership will report back.

#6 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

Programs I was concerned about

GoldFocus

FocusMax

Starry Night Pro Plus 6

PHD2

Nexremote

PECPrep

CCD Calc

Celestron HC Update

Celestron MC update

Ascom

Meta Guide

PEC Tool

WinRoddier

MaximDL5

Nebulosity3

Most everything else is non essential or I know works with 10

Thanks

#7 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

I haven't had any trouble with any of the programs I use.  The only problem I had is that my Prolific USB to RS-232 converters didn't work.  Replaced them with Sabrent FTDI converters and they work fine.

#8 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

On a Windows8.1 to 10 update I had issues with PHD 2-BYEOS- SSAG- problems ran from programs only working if run as admin. to files no longer being available to multiple programs-locked- ( astro-photos) plus driver issues( SSAG)

With a second computer with W10 as the original OS the only issue was having to wait for the drivers for W10 to be available from Orion SSAG. That was accomplished in the last few weeks. I will not update another earlier os to W10 too many issues. W10 clean install or factory setup great os.

Grey

#9 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Please list what programs and drivers, astronomy related, that were broken.

I'll make it simple for you. Anything that worked on 8 worked on 10.

Just about anything that worked on 7 worked on 10 (I had to replace one non-astronomy-related driver).

In other words...and I know this will be a shock...don't always believe what you read on chat forums. :lol:

But there will always be a person who has problems. There are just too many variations of PC hardware, especially to include video cards, and too many nice folks who can, unfortunately, foul up the installation of anything. ;)

Edited by rmollise, 17 March 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#10 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

My laptop is a Clevo so I will check their site before upgrading. I lost 2 programs and the Meade LPI driver when I went to Win7 x64 and that was because of changing from x86 to x64. So thanks everybody I feel a bit better about the upgrade.

Edited by Stew57, 17 March 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#11 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

Clevo P370EM

17" 1920x1080 3D screen

i7 3630 2.4GHz

32 GB memory

NVidia 680M

1 1TB MSATA boot drive

2 2TB HDD data drives

BD-RW

5 USB 2.0   1 USB 3.0   1 ESATA

1 massive power brick and a battery that lasts less than an hour!

It was my gaming machine  but the laptop I used for atro work had a major physical hdd failure and the backup server failed spectacularly from a lightning strike with fire and everything! Melted the drive. Lost a lot of data included all of my "real" astro pics.  lost all my testing data including my Celestron beta testing data. I do have some semi live captures that was on a cloud site I had forgotten about but they are mostly ETX80 stuff. What a disaster. I am over crying now. I am moving my programs over and thought it might be a good time to upgrade to 10.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Edited by Stew57, 19 March 2016 - 10:30 PM.

#12 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

CCDSoft5 failed to load three or four DLLs, presumably left out of the migration during OS update. Re-installation resolved issue.

Atik core software. Had to reinstall after Atik's USB driver driver caused low level failure and subsequent destabilization of OS. 

#13 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

Today Microsoft tried up upgrade my laptop to Win 10 without my permission.  It came down looking like a normal update when I noticed on the screen "configuring for Win 10"!

It would not let me launch Task  Manager to kill it so I turned off the laptop quickly and was able to stop it after I rebooted.  This really **** me off!  If I liked Win 10 it would be OK.  I am sure they will keep trying to push it off on me and will probably succeed when I am not looking.

I wish I liked Win 10 but I DON'T and it should be my choice when I upgrade (downgrade)!  End of rant.

If you don't want to be assimilated to Win 10 keep an eye on your machine.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#14 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

Update.....

MS seems to be on a "search and destroy mission" and it won't give up.  It has tried to install four times today so far.  A window pops up and says "Your Win 10 upgrade is coming" and has a countdown timer for one hour.  Hitting X and closing the window does not stop it which is what I did the first time.  Sooooo now I have to stop it with Task  Manager every time it pops up.  I don't know how many times I will have to do it before it gives up.  I doubt it ever will.  I close the computer when I am not looking at it but that may not even be enough.  It is probably just a matter of time before MS completes it's mission.   This thing is like the Terminator! 

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 26 March 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#15 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

You can't hide, it will find you eventually :)

Just did my desktop and all processing software works fine.  We have a month before TSP so should be enough time to fix anything on my imaging laptops. Fingers crossed,,,,,,

#16 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

I like my Win 7 64 bit laptop just like it is and have no desire to change it.  I don't like the Win 10 user interface.  MS has attempted to force the upgrade 9 times now just today.  I am spending more time stopping it and rebooting than using the computer.  This is getting very frustrating.  I guess they are trying to wear me down.  I think I will power it down and turn off the WiFi tonight so I won't wake up to Win 10 on my laptop.  My wife's computer came with Win 8 and it was upgraded to 10 to fix problems.  She is constantly fussing about things it does while my Win 7 machine just keep working.

Is anyone else suffering through this?

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#17 johnpd

johnpd

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:00 AM

Get GWX Control Panel (http://blog.ultimate...tly-remove.html). It will block the installation via Windows Update. When you are ready to upgrade you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to do the job.

JohnD

#18 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hey John,

I was windows 7 64 bit like you and upgraded.  It has been about 2+ months now.  The transition was not that bad and they have been fixing any quirks pretty quickly I think.  When going deeper into systems other than just user daily user stuff it can be a little tough but I was not that good at it with windows 7.  Am talking drivers, serial ports, phantom ports etc.  I would list what your using as far as apps, drivers etc and see if anyone has those working on windows 10.

Kasey

#19 sparkyht

sparkyht

Messenger

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

I tried the upgrade path from Win7 to Win10, that did not work out so well. The system ran way too slow and most of the software and hardware just didn't work right. I decided to wipe my laptop clean and do a fresh install, things ran great from there. I disabled driver certification checking while I installed all my astro related software so it would not get in the way for stuff like serial drivers and ASCOM. The system boots and runs noticeably faster than with Win7. 

Here is a list of what runs without issue:

Pixinsight 1.8
BYEOS/BackyardRED
ASCOM 6.2
Nexremote/ virtual serial port
NexGPS
Sequence Generator Pro
EQMOD
Drivers for Celestron and Sirius EQ-G mounts
Drivers for QSI, SX Lodestar
Cartes du Ciel
PHD 2.6
Stellarium

Nebulosity 3

Edited by sparkyht, 27 March 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#20 korborh

korborh

Apollo

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

Win10 Pro 64bit has been working ultra stable for me. I moved from WinXP and all application/devices are happier.

#21 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

I just did myobservatory desktop and portable imaging laptop today Win 7 to Win10.  

Had to run it 2x times on the laptop as it had problems on 1st upgrade and reverted back to 7.  Second time it installed fine.  I checked all my devices and programs, everything eventually connected and appears like it will work.  Had to undo some run as administrators to get things to talk but after experimenting a bit got them talking and connecting even after a few restarts.  So fingers crossed...

The desktop gave me a bit more problems as I had also installed a SSD drive like I did the one in my house.  Got a Reserved Partition error on installing it so I used a partion program to enlarge the partition that holds the OS and then it worked fine.  Something about the way my Samsung SSD migration software set it up so Win10 did not like it.   But both desktops are working well now, and observatory does connect to my automation software which did have me nervous.

One thing I did after a recommendation from a computer guru friend, was to burn a Win10 upgrade disc instead of doing the forever download for each system.  You can get that from the Microsoft website.  I still have one more to do so again it will save time.

My laptops are i3 and i7.  My desktops are both i5 and i7 

Anyways, happy that I finally got the nerve to do it.  

PS, I did clone each drive beforehand ;)

#22 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:04 AM

This topic wanders off a bit in terms of accusing Microsoft of forcing down everybody's throat Windows 10.

And while it is true that Microsoft is a bit too "positive" about the upgrade, for those that do want to block Windows 10, the following steps are directly from Microsoft:

To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:

Click Computer Configuration.
Click Policies.
Click Administrative Templates.
Click Windows Components.
Click Windows Update.
Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
Click Enable.

Now, let's get back to documenting what software doesn't play well with Win 10  :grin:

P.S. I accidentally upgraded my laptop a few months ago. Glad to report that no software had issues or hickups!

#23 Cames

Cames

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

Those who are successfully using a SkyFi wireless module to control their telescope mount under Windows 7 and earlier versions have a nasty surprise waiting for them when trying to use that same hardware to communicate with a new Windows 10 machine.

http://skysafariastr...c_networks.html

Can you say "cannot connect to the network"?  Windows 10 has apparently hobbled one's ability to connect to Ad Hoc networks via the GUI mode. HUUUGE mistake.

So bad that Orion has stopped selling its clone version of the SkyFi wireless module altogether.  (I'm guessing that's the reason)

----------

C

Edited by Cames, 28 March 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#24 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

I and others have found a wifi unit that works quite well.  It works with SS Pro 4 on an I-Pad and works well with C2A on my windows 10 laptop.  I have posted a link to the wifi unit and a post in another subject on this site showing what another user has tested it on and found it works.  If I can get it working then I would say anyone can, I am severely limited in computer skills :confused: ..  Hope this helps,

Kasey

http://www.usconvert...ari-Android.pdf

http://www.cloudynig...-adapter/page-2

#25 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

Those who are successfully using a SkyFi wireless module to control their telescope mount under Windows 7 and earlier versions have a nasty surprise waiting for them when trying to use that same hardware to communicate with a new Windows 10 machine.

http://skysafariastr...c_networks.html

Can you say "cannot connect to the network"?  Windows 10 has apparently hobbled one's ability to connect to Ad Hoc networks via the GUI mode. HUUUGE mistake.

So bad that Orion has stopped selling its clone version of the SkyFi wireless module altogether.  (I'm guessing that's the reason)

----------

C

:imawake:

Hmm... the link you provide shows simply that the ability isn't on by default and that skyfi users have become used to the windows 7 interface.

While it may indeed be the end of the world and the sky is falling, from what I read, it isn't actually the end of the world and the sky isn't really falling. 

Here are instructions I found with a simple search "windows 10 and ad hoc networks" for setting up an ad-hoc network on Windows 10:

http://www.how to-connect.com/create-wireless-ad-hoc-internet-connection-on-windows-10/

Hope it helps. YMMV.

Edited by xiando, 28 March 2016 - 08:35 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics