•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Telescopes & Catalogs and Manuals site reborn!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#26 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

This site is available trough Web Archive Wayback machine:
https://web.archive....taire/classics/

It's last snapshot from Feb 1. 

Does anyone know how long one will be able to access the site thru the Wayback machine link?

I guess what I'm asking is that if worst case scenario all is gone for good......can all of the manuals and links be archived here on CN?

Knowing the CN aversion to copyrighted material, I would expect that ownership and management here would not be interested.   CN provides a discussion venue and archives only what is generated here.

#27 Astro Canuck

Astro Canuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Halifax,Nova Scotia,Canada

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

Thank you all for the replys.. Thank you Robert for having the site up for a long time, it was great and brought back

memories of the telescopes I had in the 1960's to now,,..

Mike

• Robert Provin likes this

#28 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

I have a a few servers that can host the content - all are vm's running BSD on an esxi vmware host with static IPs and RAID6/ZFS storage.  This is my own setup and I also do this stuff for a living.  The Cave Mirror Registry is on one of these MediaWiki Wiki servers.  I can setup a plain old Apache html server in no time to host it as well.  Everything is backed up nightly.  A Wiki would be better than Apache as folks could upload content and add/change information as needed.  To keep spammers off the site, the Wiki is set public read only, members would be able to add/change.

• Mr Magoo, BarabinoSr, jjbird and 13 others like this

#29 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

I think Dan has a great idea!

• semiosteve, Robert Provin and Datapanic like this

#30 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

Here's a sample:  http://wiki.datapani...ex.php/Catalogs 

The neat thing about MediaWiki is it has a plugin to handle PDF docs.  http://wiki.datapani...ed_Catalog.pdf

The cover page is shown here along with the next page and a "Go to" page option.  The entire doc can be viewed full screen in the browser as well. 

• Robert Provin, Astrojensen, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#31 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

Terra, are you saying we need to uplift the data before it get subducted?

:funny:   Epoch geologic reference.

• Adam S and terraclarke like this

#32 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

I have a a few servers that can host the content - all are vm's running BSD on an esxi vmware host with static IPs and RAID6/ZFS storage.  This is my own setup and I also do this stuff for a living.  The Cave Mirror Registry is on one of these MediaWiki Wiki servers.  I can setup a plain old Apache html server in no time to host it as well.  Everything is backed up nightly.  A Wiki would be better than Apache as folks could upload content and add/change information as needed.  To keep spammers off the site, the Wiki is set public read only, members would be able to add/change.

When I read about Robert's site going down you were the first one I thought of Dan!

• Datapanic likes this

#33 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

This site is available trough Web Archive Wayback machine:
https://web.archive....taire/classics/

It's last snapshot from Feb 1. 

Does anyone know how long one will be able to access the site thru the Wayback machine link?

I guess what I'm asking is that if worst case scenario all is gone for good......can all of the manuals and links be archived here on CN?

Knowing the CN aversion to copyrighted material, I would expect that ownership and management here would not be interested.   CN provides a discussion venue and archives only what is generated here.

Yep, I thought about that right after I posted. Oh how so much more info could be added to our posts by using the info to answer questions and educate.....but Roberts site was a tremendous asset for all of us and got the job done.

Thanks Robert for doing this for CN all those years. :bow:

I would have never became so obsessed in trying to document my vintage Tascos and similar brands of imported telescopes if I had had not been able to used the information on his site for the building blocks of my own database.

• BarabinoSr, Robert Provin, AndreyYa and 3 others like this

#34 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

I decided to go ahead and setup the wiki site for the pdf catalogs - it was on my list of things to do anyway.  It will take a couple days to import the documents but I think it will be worth it :)

• BarabinoSr, Vesper818, Carl Kolchak and 12 others like this

#35 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

Phenomenal!

#36 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

• Loc: Northridge, CA

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi All,

A quick note before I am off for the next 4 or 5 days. I am working on changing all the links on the old Classic Telescope site so it will work on any server, probably have it done in the next couple of weeks (now that I'm retired I am off quite a bit playing, otherwise I would finish the job a lot quicker!). Anyhow, when it's all done, perhaps I can send it off to Dan and he can upload it to one of his servers?

And thanks for all the kind words from my good friends here at Cloudy Nights...it makes me happy!  :) 

Best regards,

Robert

• tim53, BarabinoSr, Carl Kolchak and 10 others like this

#37 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

So happy to see the catalogs site is being continued! Such fascinating history to be so fully documented. Thank you, DataPanic, for hosting the new version. 

• Robert Provin likes this

#38 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

I decided to go ahead and setup the wiki site for the pdf catalogs - it was on my list of things to do anyway.  It will take a couple days to import the documents but I think it will be worth it :)

you are the man

• Datapanic likes this

#39 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: San Fernando Valley, California

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

I just receive an email from Robert Provin. He reiterated what was discussed above about getting a new server when he gets back from vacation. He's gone skunk hunting.

Attached Thumbnails

• PROVIN SKUNK HAT-small.jpg

Edited by Lew Chilton, 22 March 2016 - 08:42 PM.

• tim53, Mr Magoo, Carl Kolchak and 4 others like this

#40 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hi All,

A quick note before I am off for the next 4 or 5 days. I am working on changing all the links on the old Classic Telescope site so it will work on any server, probably have it done in the next couple of weeks (now that I'm retired I am off quite a bit playing, otherwise I would finish the job a lot quicker!). Anyhow, when it's all done, perhaps I can send it off to Dan and he can upload it to one of his servers?

And thanks for all the kind words from my good friends here at Cloudy Nights...it makes me happy!  :)

Best regards,

Robert

Congratulations on your retirement Robert!

I can also host an HTML version that would look just like your original website if you would like.  The MediaWiki version has its advantages though as it can be open for modification by other users (provided they register) and the PDF plug allows for thumbnail views of the catalogs and it converts each page of a PDF to a JPG image for faster loading.  There is also a Mobile front end for Mobile device viewing.  

For the actual content, I have imported about 50 of about 130 catalogs.  The "Courtesy of ..." names on the original website are located on the Discussion Page for each catalog.  Each Company has its own page with their catalogs arranged in chronological order - oldest to newest.  

To get an idea of what it's looking like, take a look at the Zeiss Catalog Page! 

• Mr Magoo, BarabinoSr, Robert Provin and 5 others like this

#41 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

I like it! Thank you Dan. The legend continues! And thank you for producing and maintaining this wonderful resource all those prior years Robert. I have used the site many times myself and downloaded quite a few resources from it to my iBooks bookshelf on my iPad. Many, many thanks to you both for your past and future service to our avocation. You are both owed our continuing gratitude. :flowerred: :flowerred:

• BarabinoSr, Robert Provin, photiost and 5 others like this

#42 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

• Loc: Northridge, CA

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

Hi All,

Best regards,

Robert

I can also host an HTML version that would look just like your original website if you would like.  The MediaWiki version has its advantages though as it can be open for modification by other users (provided they register) and the PDF plug allows for thumbnail views of the catalogs and it converts each page of a PDF to a JPG image for faster loading.  There is also a Mobile front end for Mobile device viewing.  

For the actual content, I have imported about 50 of about 130 catalogs.  The "Courtesy of ..." names on the original website are located on the Discussion Page for each catalog.  Each Company has its own page with their catalogs arranged in chronological order - oldest to newest.  

To get an idea of what it's looking like, take a look at the Zeiss Catalog Page!

Dan, that looks great! A vast improvement over the original site. Thank you! :D

• Datapanic likes this

#43 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

Let me know when you are ready, Dan, and I'll replace the link in the sticky.

#44 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hi All,

Best regards,

Robert

Awesome, just plain awesome.  However,  are there no Nikon or Nippon telescope catalogs to be found?

#45 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

Hi All,

Best regards,

Robert

Awesome, just plain awesome.  However,  are there no Nikon or Nippon telescope catalogs to be found?

I think many if not most of those sources (catalogs, manuals, price lists, etc.) were donated to Robert and he was good enought to (scan if need be and) upload them. You too can continue that fine tradition. ;)

• Datapanic likes this

#46 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

Should be some time Friday, only 40 catalogs to go, then there's about 70 Manuals. :thinking:

• DreamWeaver, Bill Griffith, gelkin and 1 other like this

#47 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

Should be some time Friday, only 40 catalogs to go, then there's about 70 Manuals. :thinking:

Hey, at least you don't have to scan them all, from scratch!  

Ready when you are.  Many thanks, Dan!

#48 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

wish I was close. I would help with the scans.   Helps when you have a document feeder.

#49 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

GREAT catch to bring it to our attention!!

A+ grade to you for your Neighborhood Astro Watch plan Sir...

#50 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:09 AM

Many thanks for the many years of reference material availability, Robert.  And Dan, the new format looks great.  Can't wait to see the final product.

Jim

• Robert Provin and Bill Griffith like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics