•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Telescopes & Catalogs and Manuals site reborn!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#76 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

awesome work Dan.

On the original site there was a manual for the 6.5CM nippon.  I do not see that anymore.  I know, what a nag after all that great work.   It is that there is so little information on Nippon telescopes out there that I would hope we can save whatever is available.

Thanks

Edited by starman876, 02 April 2016 - 01:52 PM.

#77 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

awesome work Dan.

On the original site there was a manual for the 6.5CM nippon.  I do not see that anymore.  I know, what a nag after all that great work.   It is that there is do little information on Nippon telescopes out there that I would hope we can save whatever is available.

Thanks

It looks like I missed that one along with the other 9 in that block on the list.  I added it to the website and will add the rest soon.  I haven't reconciled what's on the archived site and what's on the new site yet :)

• TOM KIEHL and Bomber Bob like this

#78 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

I got this link from one of our very own  galakuma  . However it is in Japanese.

http://yumarin7.saku...Nikon1982_8.pdf

Edited by starman876, 02 April 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#79 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

I got this link from one of our very own  galakuma  . However it is in Japanese.

http://yumarin7.saku...Nikon1982_8.pdf

Nice!  I added it here:  http://wiki.telescop.../Nikon_Catalogs

#80 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:55 PM

Wow! I'm thinkin' this thread ought to be renamed:

"The Classic Telescope Catalogs and Manuals Site is Now Back"! ;)
  • C64ER likes this

#81 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:10 AM

Wow! I'm thinkin' this thread ought to be renamed:

"The Classic Telescope Catalogs and Manuals Site is Now Back"! ;)

I agree too, but not until the refinement is completed.  Since I started this project (and it's definitely a project!), there have been many front and back-end changes.  If I'm doing it right, nobody has noticed :)

When I'm ready to release it to the big wild internet, which will be pretty soon, then there will be a new thread about it. 

The work has been exhausting, but I consider it an emergency, a "Datapanic", such as to save stuff on the internet that matters :)

• DreamWeaver, madeline, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#82 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

• Loc: Northridge, CA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

Dan,

Just wanted to thank you for all your fine work! I'm now back from my adventures and I am willing to help in any way I can. If there are files you can't access, or if any one else finds something missing, please let me know as I have all the images and catalogs/manuals backed up on my home computer. Again thanks to Dan for saving the site and to all the rest for your good wishes. :D

Robert

• DreamWeaver, Datapanic, madeline and 4 others like this

#83 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

The 7TE Mount document stumped me for a little bit because it wasn't a catalog or manual, so I added a "Techniques" section for items like that.  I'll also setup a section for the 3 Optica b/c Misc documents and a section for links to other sites.

Only 15 more manuals to import.

So far, only 2 catalogs are corrupt/missing on the archive.org site and I don't have them:

1983 Edmund Holiday Sale Catalog, astronomical section, 3 pages, color (22 MB). Courtesy of Barry Carter.

Early 1960s ANRA Catalog, (subsequently known as The Optical Craftsmen) 19 pages, color (8 MB). Courtesy of Scott Losmandy.

If anyone has a good copy of these items, please send me an IM. 

Hi Dan,

I'll fish them off my back-up and get them to you in a day or two.

Robert

#84 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

I finished up importing all of the Catalogs and Manuals!  :eyecrazy:

All together, 127 Catalogs and 68 Manuals have been added however the following 4 .PDF files are either missing or corrupt on the Wayback archives:

Catalog: 1983 Edmund Holiday Sale Catalog, astronomical section, 3 pages, color (22 MB). Courtesy of Barry Carter
Catalog: Early 1960s ANRA Catalog, (subsequently known as The Optical Craftsmen) 19 pages, color (8 MB). Courtesy of Scott Losmandy

Manual: 1962 Tinsley 8" Cassegrain Manual, 15 double pages, black and white (5.5 MB). Courtesy of Scott Losmandy
Manual: 1982 Celestron Schmidt Cameras Manual, 16 double pages, black and white (9.5 MB). Courtesy of Mike Oneal

If anyone has a good copy of these, please PM me or sign up and upload the files yourself!

The official website is:  TELESCOPE::Classics http://wiki.telescopeclassics.com

I hope the layout works for you!  There will most certainly be changes, some major and some not so noticeable as I get feedback and come up with other changes and additions.  The PRIMARY purpose of this site is to provide an organized source of information about Classic Telescopes - there will be no forum nor blog.

Please, if you bookmarked anything with datapanic.com, update your bookmarks as datapanic.com is something else and in a few days, will not get you to this Wiki.

I invite anyone to help and contribute to the site - your help and expertise is needed!  Due to Wiki Spammers, this is a read-only site.  Sorry, A Spammed Wiki is not easy to clean up, thus the 2 layers of protection.  To be able to upload content and edit pages, you must first create an account and then send an email to me (look in the "About..." section on the bottom of the main page for the address).  Once verified, you will have the access.  Wiki editing is not very difficult and there is a link for online help.

Chuck - you can update the link in the Useful Classic Scopes sticky.  I will post a separate thread in the Classics forum about the site in a little bit :)

There is still a lot of work to do - add cosmetics, bling and snazzy stuff, but the content is there for all to view.  Enjoy!

Hi Dan,

I have located the missing files in my back-ups and will upload to your site tomorrow.

Robert

• C64ER, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#85 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

The missing 4 catalogs/manuals have been uploaded and imported to the wiki!

Doing some backend changes and monitoring before adding on the telescope images and external links.

• Robert Provin and terraclarke like this

#86 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

awesome work Dan.

On the original site there was a manual for the 6.5CM nippon.  I do not see that anymore.  I know, what a nag after all that great work.   It is that there is so little information on Nippon telescopes out there that I would hope we can save whatever is available.

Thanks

I will look for it in my back-ups. If found it will be uploaded to Dan's site.

Robert

#87 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

awesome work Dan.

Thanks

Robert

Well, I found it, but now I see Dan has already put it up...oops!  :p

• Datapanic and terraclarke like this

#88 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

awesome work Dan.

Thanks

Robert

Well, I found it, but now I see Dan has already put it up...oops!  :p

There was a block of 10 Manuals that I missed during the initial import of content.  I think I have them all there now.  Taking another breather because this is a big project and I want to make sure nothing's lost.

In the next few days, there will be some times where the site may appear offline, just come back later - doing stuff to the back end which in telescope memes means, like, counting the number of teeth on a Cave ring gear.

• Robert Provin and TOM KIEHL like this

#89 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

Dan, I want to thank you and Robert for undertaking such a task. Not being tremendously 'host your own website' savvy I wouldn't know where to begin such a project. This information is indispensable and I'm sure all of us appreciate it enormously. Thanks guys.
  • Robert Provin, Datapanic, gelkin and 1 other like this

#90 stevep

stevep

Ranger 4

• Loc: UK, Weather sucks

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

I would like to second that,

Thank you Robert for creating the original site and Dan for carrying it forward,

I have also found the info indispensable, there is such a wealth of information

that I hope will continue to grow,

Thank you both and all the people that contributed the manuals and catalogues,

• Robert Provin and Datapanic like this

#91 turk123

turk123

Gemini

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hi All,

Yes, the Classic Telescope Site is gone. The server on which it resided has died and there are no plans to replace it. I am retired now, so I no longer have any say in these matters. However, I do have all the back-ups to the site and if any one out there has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Robert Provin

I have an unlimited data server I use for Cave-astrola.com and would be proud to host all the catalogs.  Let me know Robert.  I sent you a PM.

#92 Larry10

Larry10

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:42 PM

I haven't used these archives in quite a while but I had to do a little research this afternoon. What a pleasure!

Thanks to all those who contributed and special thanks to Robert and Dan for their efforts. These files are a real treasure.

• Robert Provin and Datapanic like this

#93 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thanks guys and gals :)

I think MediaWiki was just what was needed for these Catalogs, Manuals and Photos (still need to add the photos) to be presented in an easy to search and view fashion and I'm glad to be able to bring it to the next level. 

The neat thing about Wiki's is that they they are community projects, so I invite anyone who would like to help to sign up and help out with the content.  Wiki "language" may be kind of daunting at first, but the format I started on the website is not too complicated to continue.  Wikipedia uses the same stuff!  The editor allows to roll back to previous versions so there's no worries about messing things up and not being able to recover.  The entire server is also backed up daily around 4am MST.  So, please give it a try.  In order to edit content, you must first sign up as a regular user and then shoot me an email or PM that you would like to have editor access.  Unfortunately, Wiki spammers make it difficult to allow for an open Wiki. 

Once again, a big thanks to Robert for collecting all this info over so many years and it's a privilege to keep it going in this new format. 

• Robert Provin, Bill Griffith, AllanDystrup and 1 other like this

#94 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:04 AM

I changed the title of this thread to more reflect it's spirit.

Standing ovation for Dan, Robert, and everyone else who contributed to saving this resource!  

• Vesper818, Adam S, Robert Provin and 8 others like this

#95 hottr6

hottr6

Skylab

• Loc: 7,257', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

Good job, but not all the manuals were transferred.  E.g., the Tasco 11T manual is missing.

#96 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

This one?  http://wiki.telescop...cope_Manual.pdf

There's only 1 "11T" listing on the old archived site.

#97 hottr6

hottr6

Skylab

• Loc: 7,257', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

Sorry.  I missed that.   :blush:

#98 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

OK,  How does a reasonably smart individual get scans sent for verification and inclusion into the site?

Let's say some one fairly smart but older and cranky with modern things like computers. Some one old fashioned that can make a good scan into jpeg or pdf since the scan/copy/fax/brain surgery thingy does those two options up front.  I can find the scan, and copy it and paste it. I DON'T maneuver well on websites, don't understand a LOT of jargon, and DO have a ton of very fitting papers for the site.

The best thing I did way back when was to send a box of papers to Robert. He included to his hearts content and sent it all back with a check to cover my shipping cost to him (which I didn't want but thanks Robert, that was cool).  Robert went to use that box site which required all the click this and that and set up this account nested here or there to put in somnethins someway and......I never got it.  I do have an impressive library of original papers, both manuals and catalogs.

The new site is incredible with the listings grouped by seller (manufacturer, distributor, cloner) so I can easily see what is not on the site. This is probably the single greatest improvement that makes it a pleasure. Now then, to the person that understands the process of submitting entries: it is easy to the person that understands it, but not so for the ignorant if the explanation is not done outside the box of understanding. I'm down to almost needing each key stroke or click if it goes outside of "Go to this site, click here, paste here, hit send here, done".

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010001.JPG

• Robert Provin, TOM KIEHL and kansas skies like this

#99 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

OK,  How does a reasonably smart individual get scans sent for verification and inclusion into the site?

Let's say some one fairly smart but older and cranky with modern things like computers. Some one old fashioned that can make a good scan into jpeg or pdf since the scan/copy/fax/brain surgery thingy does those two options up front.  I can find the scan, and copy it and paste it. I DON'T maneuver well on websites, don't understand a LOT of jargon, and DO have a ton of very fitting papers for the site.

The best thing I did way back when was to send a box of papers to Robert. He included to his hearts content and sent it all back with a check to cover my shipping cost to him (which I didn't want but thanks Robert, that was cool).  Robert went to use that box site which required all the click this and that and set up this account nested here or there to put in somnethins someway and......I never got it.  I do have an impressive library of original papers, both manuals and catalogs.

The new site is incredible with the listings grouped by seller (manufacturer, distributor, cloner) so I can easily see what is not on the site. This is probably the single greatest improvement that makes it a pleasure. Now then, to the person that understands the process of submitting entries: it is easy to the person that understands it, but not so for the ignorant if the explanation is not done outside the box of understanding. I'm down to almost needing each key stroke or click if it goes outside of "Go to this site, click here, paste here, hit send here, done".

Thanks.

Good Questions!

Submitting Documents/Scans:  you can sign up as a user on the wiki and let me know you would like to be able to edit things and I will grant you the access.  ~~~OR~~~ you can send your scans to me at the email address found if you click on the "About TELESCOPE::Classics" link at the bottom of the page and then I will add them to the wiki based on the content.  It is a given that the MediaWiki software for editing the wiki pages is not good.  There is a newer plugin for a "Visual Editor" that I will add in soon. 

I do not want to be sent documents by post and scan them in myself - I just don't have the time to do that right now.  My goal with the site is preserving the information Robert accumulated and provide the best way to present it to the folks who use it. 

I'm glad folks are enjoying the site and that the layout makes things easier to navigate.  The initial layout is definitely not done, I haven't even added "pretty" to it yet!

Dan

For those just jumping in, the site is:  http://wiki.telescopeclassics.com

Edited by Datapanic, 17 May 2016 - 09:24 PM.

• Robert Provin, DreamWeaver, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#100 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thanks.

Dan doesn't have the time to scan printed material, however, I do! Send me a private message and I'll give you my mailing address. And same as before, I will reimburse your shipping costs. After I get the stuff scanned, I'll put it up at Dan's site.  :)  Thanks!!!

Robert

• terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics