•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Telescopes & Catalogs and Manuals site reborn!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 Cloudedout

Cloudedout

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Williams LAKE B.C

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

Hi Dan. I just put a Carton 1988 CST SYSTEM BROCHURE IN THE

GALLERY WHEN I JUST NOTICED THIS CATEGORY.  JOHN R.

#102 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:00 PM

OK,  How does a reasonably smart individual get scans sent for verification and inclusion into the site?

Let's say some one fairly smart but older and cranky with modern things like computers. Some one old fashioned that can make a good scan into jpeg or pdf since the scan/copy/fax/brain surgery thingy does those two options up front.  I can find the scan, and copy it and paste it. I DON'T maneuver well on websites, don't understand a LOT of jargon, and DO have a ton of very fitting papers for the site.

The best thing I did way back when was to send a box of papers to Robert. He included to his hearts content and sent it all back with a check to cover my shipping cost to him (which I didn't want but thanks Robert, that was cool).  Robert went to use that box site which required all the click this and that and set up this account nested here or there to put in somnethins someway and......I never got it.  I do have an impressive library of original papers, both manuals and catalogs.

The new site is incredible with the listings grouped by seller (manufacturer, distributor, cloner) so I can easily see what is not on the site. This is probably the single greatest improvement that makes it a pleasure. Now then, to the person that understands the process of submitting entries: it is easy to the person that understands it, but not so for the ignorant if the explanation is not done outside the box of understanding. I'm down to almost needing each key stroke or click if it goes outside of "Go to this site, click here, paste here, hit send here, done".

Thanks.

Dan doesn't have the time to scan printed material, however, I do! Send me a private message and I'll give you my mailing address. And same as before, I will reimburse your shipping costs. After I get the stuff scanned, I'll put it up at Dan's site.  :)  Thanks!!!

Robert

I second that - life is getting very busy for me now.  If you, Robert can handle the receiving end and make the PDF files with the quality of the past docs, that would be great!  I am a back-end systems admin, Unix, servers, that sort of stuff.  Desktops?  Not so great :)

• Robert Provin and terraclarke like this

#103 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:24 AM

Dan and Robert,

Again, I just have to say what a wonderful job you two guys are doing for us all. It is great to see you both working together on this project.

Thank you both so very, very much. :flowerred: :flowerred:
  • Vesper818, Robert Provin, DreamWeaver and 1 other like this

#104 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

It sure is nice that we have the site up and running. Over the years all these manual and catalogs have been the best source for information all in one spot on the WEB.  Nothing but appreciation for all this hard work  :waytogo:  :waytogo:  :waytogo:  :waytogo:

• Robert Provin and DreamWeaver like this

#105 Astro Canuck

Astro Canuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Halifax,Nova Scotia,Canada

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

I see Classic Telescopes & Catalogs and Manuals gone.. I click on the link and get:

Page cannot be displayed due to robots.txt.

#106 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

The new location is wiki.telescopeclassics.com
  • Astro Canuck likes this

#107 Astro Canuck

Astro Canuck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Halifax,Nova Scotia,Canada

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

The new location is wiki.telescopeclassics.com

Thank you....

Mike

#108 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

I see Classic Telescopes & Catalogs and Manuals gone.. I click on the link and get:

Page cannot be displayed due to robots.txt.

This is not good.  The robots.txt message refers to the copy on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, not the original http://geogdata.csun...taire/classics/ website or the wiki.telescopeclassics.com site which was built from the files off the Wayback Machine archive.   What this means is that somebody at csun.edu put a robots.txt file on geogdata.csun.edu to tell web crawlers such as the Wayback Machine to Go Away....  That causes the Wayback Machine not browse content at the server and to at least remove the ability to view ~ALL~ archived files from that site.  I don't know if they delete the archived content, hope not.

Only someone at csun.edu can fix this problem by allowing Wayback Machine to browse content.  Otherwise, it's gone.

Incidentally, telescopeclassics.com has a similar robots.txt setup that asks any legit web crawler to not browse the content.  I'll eventually allow some sites to do so.

#109 Myersmaria86

Myersmaria86

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

The link takes you to a geographical survey site. It does not have a search feature nor does have any telescope, astronomy related information.

myersmaria86

#110 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

Did you use this link... http://wiki.telescop.../wiki/Main_Page

#111 highfnum

highfnum

Skylab

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

to bad but still incomplete

#112 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

I've been on the site this past week and just logged on.

Appreciation is an understatement for what Dan has done to save the Classic Catalogs & Manuals gem and to Robert for the initial site and the contributors!bow.gif

Sometimes, "You just don't know what you got till it's(almost) gone"!

Bill

• tim53 and Datapanic like this

#113 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

Somewhere I have a photocopy of the instructions for the Vega MakNewt.  Next time I run across it, I'll have to contribute it.

#114 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

to bad but still incomplete

What in the world are you talking about :/

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#115 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

The link takes you to a geographical survey site. It does not have a search feature nor does have any telescope, astronomy related information.

myersmaria86

http://wiki.telescop.../wiki/Main_Page

It's been the same link for a year now.

Edited by Datapanic, 26 March 2017 - 10:23 PM.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#116 highfnum

highfnum

Skylab

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

• sorry I meant not bad but incomplete
  • example dy8 manual not there
  • rv-6 manual not there

but still has others

Edited by highfnum, 27 March 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#117 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

• Loc: PNW, US

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

I see some from this site:

http://yumarin7.saku...jp/Csiryou.html

...but not all. Is that because they are in Japanese?

Perhaps  some of these could be included?

Sam

#118 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:16 AM

I see some from this site:

http://yumarin7.saku...jp/Csiryou.html

...but not all. Is that because they are in Japanese?

Perhaps  some of these could be included?

Sam

ahhhhhh, thank you for that link, I'd seen that page before but not saved it.  I just spent 40 minutes googling for old vixen catalogs, i was specifically looking for the 1991 vixen catalog on there, its got some hilarious pictures of the telescopes.

#119 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:17 AM

suggestion to the guy running the classictelescopes wiki ... he could simply link to the yumarin page...

#120 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:47 AM

I think that this site is wonderful and provides wonderful data for a lot of scopes.  #1 site for classic collectors. waytogo.gif bow.gif

• Marc-Andre likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics