•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Video Heads for large binoculars

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#26 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

There are some videos I made with these heads. Videos speak much more than pictures on the performance of a fluid head, let alone texts.

Don't know if you can actually open them.

Focus 22

Vision 8

Focus HD

Edited by range88, 24 March 2016 - 09:57 AM.

• Stellarfire likes this

#27 hakann

hakann

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

Great thread.

I has the Zeiss 2060S bino and I bought it be used in first place as hand hold but wanted a tripod for it.
I bought the Gitzo carbon fibre Series 5 tripod ( 42 mm bar that can go 2.5 meter ) at 4.5 kg and it's wonderful to use.
I bought the Acratech mono head ( http://www.acratech.net )
That a neat and light pice. Both head and tripod can handle over 40 kg.
My bino is at 1.6 kg.
I was into a video-head to but for my set-up this mono-head was just great.
One toild me the Manofrotto videohead are not designed to be at zenith. I also checked up the 'Really Right Stuff' but it was more exlusive than I needed.

As using a tripod and a bino at zenith, its always a tuff situation.
I use my bino to swing it using the IS, sometimes on back or in a chair whit IS but I really enjoy it on the tripod. I has no real plan to go bigger,,, but will get a smaller bino Swarro 8X25 CL or the 8X32 8X EL as I need that size for trek, walkings.
But I'll just love big binos, bigger the better.
One here in Sweden has 15" Newton bino. But that's way to much to use 'normally'.

I like the idea of a 'tube' and get a bino eyepiece whit ex Televue eyepieces.
How does that work ?
The Swarovski ATX-95, how is that - Keep me posted !!!
Where comes the bino-device adapter comes from ( I don't know the real name it calls )
This is a really expensive set-up whit world class bino optics.
How does it stands out in astronomy ? How does it stand out vs two Televue reflactors ?
Around 4K less the 'package' /each. Not to bad. Neat set-up ( small )
Can Ethos be aply ?
A very interesting idea.

-Would love to look into that one !

( Update )

I note whit eyepiece it is 4.4K but lence only it is 2K.
http://www.bhphotovi..._Objective.html

But just for the interesting aspect, how to apply the bono-device ?
Who sell that ? What eyepiece to use ?

A company in Sweden sell the ATX-95 at 14.000 SKR and less tax each and that is 2.700 USD/pair. Neat price compared to US.

Edited by hakann, 24 March 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#28 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

The Swarovski ATX 95, how is that - Keep me posted !!!

You can read about it here.

http://www.cloudynig...-95-binoculars/

Tammy

#29 hakann

hakann

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Tammy,

I like to know more, I went over to original thread.

Hope you can add in some time for help.

#30 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Budapest Hungary

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

The videos work fine. Thanks ! It shows what some alteady know. Video heads work fine as long as you observe the load/balance capacity and stay away from the max.

#31 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

......and now the Cartoni Focus HD. Max load 12 kg, 26 lbs. Weighs 2 kg. Tilt plus/minus 90 degrees. Variable fluid drag on pan and tllt. Bowl but converted into flat base 3/8 ' in 30 seconds.

In Europe about 552 euro, in the USA between 1000-1700 USD. Built quality a fraction below Manfrotto, some using it commercially complain it isn't strong enough.

I use it for the Kowa Higlander, which weighs 6,2 kg with eyepieces. Works with the APM 100 as well. Very smooth, precise and little effort to use. Very well balanced. For Europe probabably one of the few affordable quality flat base/bowl heads till 12 kg.

Manfrotto's higher weight capable heads are all bowl heads needing an adapter (325 bowl to flat base adapter). More bulk alond more expensive as well in Europe. Does not apply to the USA as they ask 2-3x more for Cartoni than in Europe.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Stellarfire likes this

#32 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

Cartoni Focus HD.....

#33 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

Cartoni Focus HD.....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#34 hakann

hakann

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

The centre bar is a good idea but how well supported is that ?
Mechanically wise it aint a good ide and has it up 30-50 cm and load, well. Should be 2 support bearings then, not 1.
On my Gitzo I just let lose tension on 2 bars and go upp/down, works grea and run like on air, but ok I use a 1.6 kg bino up on my.

Edited by hakann, 24 March 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#35 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:50 AM

No worries, this is Manfrotto  :grin:

These are made for heavy camera combo's. The geared column stays where you leave it. It won't run down under load.

I have 3 geared column Manfrotto tripods. The 028, 475 and 057 carbon. They easily handle the load of the APM 100 and Kowa Highlander. They all have high load capacities.

The 028 : 26,5 lbs = 12 kg maximum load.

The 475: 26,5 lbs = 12 kg maximum load. Advantage, legs can be set at any angle.

The 057 Carbon : 39,7 lbs = 18 kg maximum load. The carbon weighs 3 kg and is perfect for travelling. 

The Kowa weighs 6,2 kg with eyepieces. The APM 100-45 ED weighs 7,7 kg with the Docter 12.5 mm eyepieces.

• Stellarfire likes this

#36 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:13 AM

Close up of the Manfrotto 475B. You can lock the column with the knob on the right. I sometimes do it when the handle is in a position where I could touch it. No real need to do this, though. They call it the "non rollback function".

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Stellarfire likes this

#37 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

Video heads are for medium size (22x60, 16x70, 11x80) binoculars.  I use DM-4, DM-6, and a few fork mounts for larger (82, 95, 100, and 150mm) binoculars.

large.jpg

Tammy

Tammy, you seem to contradict yourself. Video heads are for medium size, you say. I just saw you posted pictures of your Kowa Highlander and Swarovski 95 on the FH-350. Do you agree video heads are an option as well for Kowa Highlander /APM 100 ?

Main thing is to observe and stay away from the maximum load.weight capacity. And yes, you have to spend some €€€....

#38 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

Tammy, you seem to contradict yourself.

Not really.  As you may have noticed in the ATX95 binoculars thread that I was experimenting various mounts, tripods, binoculars, etc to figure out what works, what does not to my liking.

I didn't buy FH-350 for binoculars use but for camera video and still image capture.

I happened to try Kowa and ATX binoculars on FH-350.  I didn't observe night skies with the combination.

After experiments, I came to my conclusion that  Kowa/ATX95 is the best with DSC equipped DM-4 on Avalon T-Pod 130 tripod.

That's all.

Tammy

#39 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:40 PM

....but you showed us it works

It all depends on preferences.  Not that you have to spend that kinda money for a bino mount, but quality comes with a price ! The 350 is beautiful, a piece of art...almost.

For me a DSC equipped DM-4 is the last thing I want or like. I am in a reverse mode. The more simple, the better. That's why I like video heads. Small. Light. Simple....

#40 John F

John F

Apollo

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:08 AM

Tamiji Homma, on 24 Mar 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

Thank you for the pictures and your prompt reply.  Where do get those "devices" (for lack of a better word) that you attach the binoculars to and which you fasten it to the DM6's mount head?

Also, looking at your pictures I'm wondering how practical it might be to use something like this if you want to be seated while binocular observing.   It looks to me like the legs and seat of a chair would make contact with one or more of the extended legs of the tripod and thus such a system would not lend itself well to observing with it if you also wanted to be able to be seated while doing it.  Am I correct about that or am I missing something?

Hi John,

Sorry for being off-topic, non video heads.

Regarding seated observation, I mostly observe seated on the chair below.  It is pretty light, portable star chair.  If it happens to interfere with tripod/pier legs, I just move a little to clear the legs.  In case I am not using DSC, I can rotate whole setup instead of chair easily.

I didn't find a good picture just for star chair, it is Berlebach Mulda.

Tammy

Tammy,

Thank you again for the information and the pictures.  I have a Berlebach observing chair just like the one shown in one of your pictures.  Earlier today I set up my DM6 Mount (including it's 8-inch height extender) and put my telescope on to see if it looked like it might work if I had a large pair of binoculars attached to that mount like you do.  And I also tried it with the chair next to the mount.  Now and then the chair would make contact with one of the tripod legs but it wasn't too bad and it looks like the situation would be manageable.  

In any case, this opens up some possibilities should I ever decide that I want to get a pair of the APM 80mm or 100mm ED APO binoculars. 

John Finnan

#41 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

The most comfortable in my opinion for the APM is an astro chair, the Manfrotto 475 which tripod legs can be set in any position so you don't touch them, a geared center column and then a videohead or a fork mount.

You only sometimes have to change the seat height. Most of the time changing the height of the BT is enough.

Does the DM6 fit on a 3/8" screw of a geared tripod ?

• Fivemileshigh likes this

#42 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

For my 100mm, 45 degree Lunt binoculars, I use a Bogen #3263, (now Manfrotto 400), geared head, mounted atop a Bogen 058 tripod.

While not truly a video head, I have used it very successfully for extreme telephoto video work.  I like the precise vernier quality smooth adjustability, and it stays where you point it.  While it is slower to aim than a true video head, it is still not too bad.  I can smoothly track satellites with it using the alt-az cranks.  It is very easy to track stars, planets, Luna, etc. with the precise movements.

The 3263 head is quite heavy, at 5+ pounds, but will support up to 23 pounds.  It uses a circular mounting plate that locks very securely to the top of the head.  This plate is released by a single lever, just enough that the plate can be manually rotated for fine adjustments.  As a safety devise, a spring loaded "stop peg" must be depressed while moving the lever completely our to fully release the plate.  This is quite an ingenious system and works very well.  The altitude and azimuth adjustments are made by means of two large knobs, located 90 degrees from each other on the sides of the head.  Each of these knobs have a fold-out crank for faster adjustment.  There is another elongated knob on the side opposite the azimuth adjustment, that precisely adjusts the lateral tilt of the mounted instrument.

The 058 aluminum tripod has a maximum load rating of 26.5 pounds, and weighs 13.6 pounds.  It has a quite unique feature, in that the leg adjustments are all made using a set of levers at the tripod head.  The legs can be released individually, using a smaller lever for each leg, or all at once, using a single larger lever.  The leg adjustment system works fairly well, but I'm not sure that it is really much of an advantage.  It is sometimes quite convenient, though.

One drawback to using this head for astronomy is that it is limited in it's upward tilt.  It will tilt downward a full 90 degrees, though, so all I have to do is mount the binoc's on the head backwards.  This means that I have to reach around to the opposite side of the head to turn the altitude adjustment knob/lever, but I've found that this is not a big problem. 

While this setup would be quite expensive to purchase new, I got very lucky and found the tripod and head together on E-bay, at a bargain minimum bid, and was able to get them without competition.

All in all, I am very pleased with how this tripod and head combination work with the Lunt binoculars.  They provide surprising stability, even while moving the aim of the bino's with the cranks or knobs.

If anyone desires, I can try to link some photographs of the outfit, or links to Adorama or B&H pages for more information.

Edited by oldmanrick, 26 March 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#43 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

If anyone desires, I can try to link some photographs of the outfit, or links to Adorama or B&H pages for more information.

Picture would be welcome - thanks !

Pinac

#44 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

For my 100mm, 45 degree Lunt binoculars, I use a Bogen #3263, (now Manfrotto 400), geared head, mounted atop a Bogen 058 tripod.

While not truly a video head, I have used it very successfully for extreme telephoto video work. I like the precise vernier quality smooth adjustability, and it stays where you point it. While it is slower to aim than a true video head, it is still not too bad. I can smoothly track satellites with it using the alt-az cranks. It is very easy to track stars, planets, Luna, etc. with the precise movements.

The 3263 head is quite heavy, at 5+ pounds, but will support up to 23 pounds. It uses a circular mounting plate that locks very securely to the top of the head. This plate is released by a single lever, just enough that the plate can be manually rotated for fine adjustments. As a safety devise, a spring loaded "stop peg" must be depressed while moving the lever completely our to fully release the plate. This is quite an ingenious system and works very well. The altitude and azimuth adjustments are made by means of two large knobs, located 90 degrees from each other on the sides of the head. Each of these knobs have a fold-out crank for faster adjustment. There is another elongated knob on the side opposite the azimuth adjustment, that precisely adjusts the lateral tilt of the mounted instrument.

The 058 aluminum tripod has a maximum load rating of 26.5 pounds, and weighs 13.6 pounds. It has a quite unique feature, in that the leg adjustments are all made using a set of levers at the tripod head. The legs can be released individually, using a smaller lever for each leg, or all at once, using a single larger lever. The leg adjustment system works fairly well, but I'm not sure that it is really much of an advantage. It is sometimes quite convenient, though.

One drawback to using this head for astronomy is that it is limited in it's upward tilt. It will tilt downward a full 90 degrees, though, so all I have to do is mount the binoc's on the head backwards. This means that I have to reach around to the opposite side of the head to turn the altitude adjustment knob/lever, but I've found that this is not a big problem.

While this setup would be quite expensive to purchase new, I got very lucky and found the tripod and head together on E-bay, at a bargain minimum bid, and was able to get them without competition.

All in all, I am very pleased with how this tripod and head combination work with the Lunt binoculars. They provide surprising stability, even while moving the aim of the bino's with the cranks or knobs.

I have tried both arca D4, manfrotto 405 and 410, while good for telephoto application, I found them not so successful for binoculars use. Just to slow and restricted for freewheel movement.

#45 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

I have tried both arca D4, manfrotto 405 and 410, while good for telephoto application, I found them not so successful for binoculars use. Just to slow and restricted for freewheel movement.

The #3263 is a heavier, sturdier head than the two Manfrotto's you mention.  It is somewhat slow to use, but I don't usually need to whip the binoc's around when viewing.  I can track aircraft and satellites with it when needed.

I took some photo's of the outfit, but can't figure out how to downsize the images to post, so it may take me a while to get this done.  My computer has become a lot more unfriendly since I last did this!

Rick

Edited by oldmanrick, 26 March 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#46 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

If you have an Ipad or Iphone you have apps that can downsize pictures, like "Autoresize"....

Edited by Allardk, 27 March 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#47 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

By the way, unless you get the 400 second hand and really cheap, you are probably better off with another head. I say this in reference to the pitch limitations. It isn't very cheap either, new around 800 USD.

#48 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

Same applies to Tammy's beautiful RRS. Officially you are outside its weight limits when using it for a Kowa. Seems it can handle it, though. A sign of a good quality video head.

So check the limits (pitch up/down, counterbalance max weight) before buying one....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#49 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Allardk, in your Post #31, you are mentioning "Bowl but converted into flat base 3/8 ' in 30 seconds" (Cartoni Focus HD).
What part is needed for the flat base 3/8" conversion and is the same conversion also possible with the larger Cartoni fluid heads models? (I found no 3/8" conversion info on Cartoni's webpage.)

Stellarfire

#50 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

The Cartoni Focus HD has a rod.. That rod is used with a "bowl" tripod. The rod can be screwed out and then its fits a flat base tripod. No tools needed, just unscrew the bolt and ready.....

Edited by Allardk, 17 September 2016 - 01:33 PM.

• Stellarfire likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics