•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New ASI 1600 -- the 4/3rds revolution for EAA.... starting...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 t_image

t_image

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

As long as it will plug in to my $80 Win 8 tablet.

#27 TheRock

TheRock

Messenger

• Loc: Bergen County, NJ

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

Another booth to visit at NEAF this year.

Edited by TheRock, 01 April 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#28 TheRock

TheRock

Messenger

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

As long as it will plug in to my $80 Win 8 tablet.

...certainly I will ask if the camera is Windows 10 compatible. 

#29 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hmmm what gain setting was the frame taken at?

Also, it's USB 3, so a capable computing device is in order.

#30 leartech

leartech

Sputnik

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

It just might be this sensor:

http://www.semicon.p...3/IS00006AE.pdf

#31 TheRock

TheRock

Messenger

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hmmm what gain setting was the frame taken at?

Also, it's USB 3, so a capable computing device is in order.

The advertisement in the OP says USB 3.0 or USB 2.0

#32 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

Being such a large sensor won't vignetting be a major problem?
It also says in the specs that it's protective window is an IR cut filter.
Not much good to people wanting to pass IR which is handy for many galaxies.

1 depends on the scope. A fast newt with the right sized secondary would probably be ok.

2 depends on where they start the cut. So it's a question worthy of study, though it'd be a bad surprise if the cut were started prior to the Ha line.

Curtis, on point number 2. On the link provided below by leartech it says 'New “On Chip Filter” for improved sensitivity'.

So, regardless of the cut-off point, a user is stuck with the IR filter whether they want one or not.

Not a great feature. Probably the only way Sony make the sensor, with an IR filter attached, so ZWO simply use it the way it comes.

It just might be this sensor:

http://www.semicon.p...3/IS00006AE.pdf

#33 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

According to ZWO, it is the sensor in this camera.

Olympus OM-D

Andy

#34 Kaikul

Kaikul

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:03 PM

1. My refractors don't have secondary mirrors!

You don't say! Maybe it's behind the primary mirror?  :lol:

#35 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:10 AM

Hi All,

I would suggest that we all refrain from buying this cam until the producer provides proof that this is a viable EAA cam.  We all seem to be testing these new cams and providing test info on how they perform.  That's fine if you're a beta tester hired by the producer, but to buy the cam and provide testing info is unfair.  This has been going on a while with many vendors.  If they want testing, they should supply beta cams for free with no strings attached.  There are software developers who do the same.

Even though I don't own one, I think Atik did an admirable job of providing proof in field testing on the Infinity.  They provided videos showing the cam's performance, so potential buyers could make a decision.  Use by others only enforced their findings.

• Relativist, barbarosa, alphatripleplus and 3 others like this

#36 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

Hi All,

I would suggest that we all refrain from buying this cam until the producer provides proof that this is a viable EAA cam.  We all seem to be testing these new cams and providing test info on how they perform.  That's fine if you're a beta tester hired by the producer, but to buy the cam and provide testing info is unfair.  This has been going on a while with many vendors.  If they want testing, they should supply beta cams for free with no strings attached.  There are software developers who do the same.

Even though I don't own one, I think Atik did an admirable job of providing proof in field testing on the Infinity.  They provided videos showing the cam's performance, so potential buyers could make a decision.  Use by others only enforced their findings.

Hi Don

The cameras are not going to be available until May.   I plan to speak with Sam the owner of ZWO at NEAF this coming weekend, so please let me know if you would like me to ask any specific questions.  I will take some pics of the cameras and post here next Sunday.

Al

• StarMike8SE likes this

#37 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

Another thread on this in Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

http://www.cloudynig...-2#entry7139246

ZWO posted on their facebook page that it is the sensor in the Olympus-D-E-M1

There are links to DXOMark and Sensorgen info

#38 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Hi All,

Hi Don

The cameras are not going to be available until May.   I plan to speak with Sam the owner of ZWO at NEAF this coming weekend, so please let me know if you would like me to ask any specific questions.  I will take some pics of the cameras and post here next Sunday.

Al

Hi Al,

That would be great.  Perhaps you can ask him if there was or will be some beta testing.  Sounds like AstroLive will work with it, and it's still in beta testing as well.  I think it would be wise to get a few cams into the hands of experienced EAA people and some results shown to the community.  I see some images in the ad you posted.  Were these taken with this camera?  If yes, what were the specifics of settings and equipment?  Was there any post processing?

There are plenty of new cameras out now promising great EAA results and more people entering the EAA field.  Factual information about the benefits and deficiencies of each would be helpful in their selection process.

Thanks,

Don

#39 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

how about a youtube video, sort of like what Atik did for the infinity. seeing is believing after all.

• Gary Z likes this

#40 t_image

t_image

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:42 PM

I don't get all the doubt.

If this is not an April fool's joke then it is the cheapest access to a DSLR MONO sensor.

Is there any other package for a mono sensor with this resolution at this low cost?

Unfortunately I can't find planetary software that will handle 4k+ resolution videos for solar/lunar-but I can use other video post software.

I bet I could enjoy it just for AP alone.

Al-

If you could ask if the camera hardware will allow for a flat color profile/gamut for it's video stream (like along the lines of LOG)-ie not stuck with REC709, that would be very helpful info---

Or does it not have a video stream and just captures stills in requested exposure lengths.......

Thanks!

#41 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

I will try and do some 'semi live'  Q&A on Sunday.   I will be there by 11am EDT.   So figure from 11am - 4pm I will post answers to any questions directly into this thread, so if you monitor this conversation this coming Sunday you can get almost instant reply answers.  I will try my best.

Al

#42 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

Good. About time.

#43 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

I am testing the camera for EAA. Will post some images and initial thoughts soon.

• m31supernova, OleCuss and StarMike8SE like this

#44 SJTill

SJTill

Explorer 1

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:02 PM

Well, I'm definitely going to hold off buying an astro camera until we see some results on this. I'm also an Olympus fanatic so multiple M 4/3 lenses to plug into this camera. Look forward to images and video!

#45 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:02 PM

Interestingly I think my Panasonic LUMIX G7 Micro 4/3 Mirrorless Camera has the same sensor

http://www.imaging-r...sonic-g7DAT.HTM

The LUMIX G7 will also do 4K video as well. There are a few people online making awesome videos through their scopes. I'll probably give that a try soon

#46 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:47 AM

I am testing the camera for EAA. Will post some images and initial thoughts soon.

This I like.

I ran across the announcement on the site independent of this thread yesterday and found the camera interesting but at least initially unconvincing.  I want to see the testing with several rigs before I get overly interested.

It really does look like a good sensor and I like it that with the small pixels under-sampling is unlikely to be an issue.

But what has worked so well for so many of us in the past was the use of small sensors so that we could use aggressive focal reduction without a big problem with vignetting.  Putting in a substantially larger sensor seems likely to mean a lot of vignetting with a lot of the rigs we've been using.

I was working on my Comet Catcher a bit yesterday.  I'm not sure how big its image circle is, but I'm guessing that if I used that telescope with the ASI1600 without a reducer that I'd still have a lot of trouble with vignetting.

Hook up my 0.33x reducer to my SCT's and I am pretty sure I'll have a bad vignetting problem.

But I'm guessing it would work very nicely if I should attach it to my NP101is and use the matching focal reducer (final F/4.3).  I'm also betting it would work nicely with my ES Comet Hunter which is F/4.8.

For NRTV purposes I'm betting this camera is still going to need fast optics whether that is achieved with fast native optics or with a focal reducer.  Given the larger sensor this could mean that it is suitable for NRTV with only some of our rigs.

The flip side is that with a relatively low-noise sensor we may be able to use a lot of gain and stack the heck out of it for decent NRTV even with the F/7 optics native to many of our refractors and such?  That would mean a bunch of SCTs with 0.63x or .07x reducers could make good use of it.

One other?  It looks like a great design for Hyperstarred systems.  The Hyperstar should give the really fast optics with an image circle which in many cases will be very good for that camera and the small pixels would mean undersampling should not be an issue.  Form factor should mean minimal vignetting of a Hyperstarred system as well!  I expect it to be awesome for Hyperstarred systems!

I'm really looking forward to your review and I'm hoping that it will do some really good stuff.  It helps that AstroLive USB will support it!

One specific question I hope you'll answer is whether we can do set-point cooling with that camera?

Edited by OleCuss, 04 April 2016 - 05:28 AM.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#47 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

Yes I have tested the set point cooling and it works well on the 1600.
  • Relativist, OleCuss and StarMike8SE like this

#48 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

the ir cut filter is the protect window
and ha range can pass
  • Relativist and OleCuss like this

#49 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

I am here at NEAF. Just talked to Sam. Anyone have any specific questions? Just post here

Al

#50 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

I'm still a bit confused about the cooling.

1. Does it do set-point cooling (in the sense where you set the temperature to a specific temperature and it maintains that specific temp) or does it just cool to a temperature which is relative to the ambient?
  2. Just to make sure, it does have a cold finger which attaches pretty directly to the sensor so that we are getting good cooling of the sensor rather than of the general environment?

I think they've already cleared up much of the concern about the IR filter and I imagine you have confirmed that one could remove the optical window and thus remove the filter - and that the filter is not cutting Hydrogen-Alpha so that we may not want to remove it anyway?

Is there any update on the quantum efficiency of the sensor?  I am not sure that is a critical number but higher QE is nice. . .

I wish I could be there!  I'm betting there is a whole lot of great stuff there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics