•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New ASI 1600 -- the 4/3rds revolution for EAA.... starting...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

Ok. Just asked.

1. It is below ambient.
2. Yes there is cold finger If not then the downward sloping graph showing read noise to temperature would level out and not be as linear

The mono only has clear filter to protect sensor. The color has IR cut which does not interfere with Ha. And it can be removed too

Al
  • OleCuss likes this

#52 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

• can we see the transmission graph of the ir filter so we know where the cut off starts?
  • can we know for sure what the sensor is?
  • is there a roadmap of cameras that are on the way?
  • any plans for a 1" format sensor camera?
  • Is it possible to have a micro HDMI output for any of these cameras?

• OleCuss, Gary Z and bigeastro like this

#53 Alex Parker

Alex Parker

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston MA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

Ok. Just asked.

The mono only has clear filter to protect sensor. The color has IR cut which does not interfere with Ha. And it can be removed too

Al

Thanks - if true this is great news about the mono camera.  For the color one, I'd want to see data on the transmission curve before concluding there was no impact to Ha.

#54 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

Here is a picture of the ASI1600MM camera from NEAF today.  According to Sam, the mono 4/3 sensor is very hard to obtain and they got the manufacturer to make the mono sensor specifically for them....

Al

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0733a.jpg

• TheRock likes this

#55 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

• can we see the transmission graph of the ir filter so we know where the cut off starts?

Hi Curtis

I showed your message to Sam and asked that he respond directly to you to answer your questions.

I do not know for sure but I am pretty sure the sensor is the same as used in a number of Olympus 4/3rd cameras that others have speculated on before.  I am confident that ZWO will introduce larger sensors and continue to be innovative with new product introductions, but I guess for us its always a question of how long we want to wait for the next iteration of products, which will probably be an APS sized sensor.  

If the weather cooperates I will test out the ASI 1600MM-cool this coming Wednesday, April 13.  I can try and broadcast on NSN if people are interested.

Al

• TheRock, OleCuss, StarMike8SE and 1 other like this

#56 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

Hi Curtis

I showed your message to Sam and asked that he respond directly to you to answer your questions.

I do not know for sure but I am pretty sure the sensor is the same as used in a number of Olympus 4/3rd cameras that others have speculated on before.  I am confident that ZWO will introduce larger sensors and continue to be innovative with new product introductions, but I guess for us its always a question of how long we want to wait for the next iteration of products, which will probably be an APS sized sensor.  

If the weather cooperates I will test out the ASI 1600MM-cool this coming Wednesday, April 13.  I can try and broadcast on NSN if people are interested.

Al

I hope you get good weather Al, there are a lot of us still interested in how this camera will perform

#57 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

Al, will you be using a Hyperstar or equivalent fast system?

#58 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi Hiten

I will try my C11 at F6.3  and I may try a couple of refractors I have that I can try and reach around F4.   I am also going to be running it with my filter wheel and 1.25" filters, and I want to make sure the filters will work.  I do not plan to move up to Hyperstar anytime soon.   I like the idea of the FOV framing with my C11 & this new camera which gives me 35' x 26' at F6.3, versus 22' x 14' using the 174 and just 13'x10'  with my old MCX...      

Al

#59 RafaelP

RafaelP

Ranger 4

• Loc: NYC

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

I would be curious to see if the 1.25" filters work without vignetting.  

#60 Tom M

Tom M

Ranger 4

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

Over in this thread it's mentioned that the new filter wheel works with the ASI1600 w/o vignetting and it uses 1 1/4" filters.

#61 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

Over in this thread it's mentioned that the new filter wheel works with the ASI1600 w/o vignetting and it uses 1 1/4" filters.

Yes,

I saw the new filter wheel.  But you don't necessarily need that one, the new ASI cameras all come with standard T threads, so you can screw the camera body directly into even a manual Orion type 1.25" filter wheel.   I am planning to try my Nautilus wheel this Wednesday night.

Al

#62 Tom M

Tom M

Ranger 4

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

Yes,

I saw the new filter wheel.  But you don't necessarily need that one, the new ASI cameras all come with standard T threads, so you can screw the camera body directly into even a manual Orion type 1.25" filter wheel.   I am planning to try my Nautilus wheel this Wednesday night.

Al

I was only pointing out that 1 1/4" filters won't vignette if placed at an appropriate distance. Any filter wheel (or other way of placing a single filter) that places the filters at the "correct" distance should be fine as far as not vignetting goes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics