•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

44mm Quick Change adaptor for Telementor

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#26 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

• Loc: East of France

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

I re-open this topic since the local turner/miller SkyMeca is going to quote me this quick adaptor, since he has my original one to get all dimensions from it. According to him, only the button is a challenge. I did ask him a quote for one piece for me, and 10 pcs for those who may want one too here :-) . I will communicate it as soon as I have the quote.

• Mak2007, Astrojensen and Mike E. like this

#27 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:46 PM

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for posting this. I look forward to an update.

#28 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:31 AM

Have you received any news about the adapter ?

#29 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:40 PM

I should know by the end of the coming week : I did ask the turner/miller to focus first on my adaptor for the Manent scope (which he did) and then he was two weeks off for holidays. He is now back and told me on Thursday that I would know before Christmas : he will quote me a price for one piece and for 10 pieces (I think 10 CN members can be interested).

will sure let you know as soon as I know !

• Mak2007 likes this

#30 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

I should know by the end of the coming week : I did ask the turner/miller to focus first on my adaptor for the Manent scope (which he did) and then he was two weeks off for holidays. He is now back and told me on Thursday that I would know before Christmas : he will quote me a price for one piece and for 10 pieces (I think 10 CN members can be interested).
will sure let you know as soon as I know !

Thanks.  waytogo.gif

#31 jaliteuk

jaliteuk

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gloucs. U.K.

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:05 AM

Hi, I have been following this lead! And as I have ,an as new, Telementor,I would be interested in the quick release unit when available.   John.

• Disciplus55 likes this

#32 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:12 AM

While waiting for the quotation (and it is going to come soon I promise) for the M44 adaptor, I got today, from the same miller/turner, the other piece I had asked him for me : an adapter so that I could use my Zeiss T mount on my standard tripods (with a 3/8" thread), and voilà, beautiful and it works great !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3605.jpeg

• Astrojensen, R Botero, Corcaroli78 and 2 others like this

#33 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:37 AM

While waiting for the quotation (and it is going to come soon I promise) for the M44 adaptor, I got today, from the same miller/turner, the other piece I had asked him for me : an adapter so that I could use my Zeiss T mount on my standard tripods (with a 3/8" thread), and voilà, beautiful and it works great !

That is a nice addition for your kit. like-button.jpg

#34 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:35 AM

Any news ?

#35 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

Still not but I have sent a reminder : he has sent me back my original M44 quick coupling, claiming he has all dimensions to make one... but still no pricing :-/

#36 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the update.

#37 Death or Stars

Death or Stars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:28 PM

Hello to Viking 1 and All,

This is my first ever response on 'Cloudy Nights', the temptation to respond was too  great to resist on a subject which is causing me a degree of frustration and  a certain sense of hitting one's head against the proverbial brick wall with the demise  of well-engineered simple and built to last products, where quality is always the bottom line.

Simply put, would it be possible to acquire (usual  financial costs etc) one of those Quick Change Adapters from yourself, as machined by Sky Meca in France?

In a perfect world I would have liked to obtain a new Carl Zeiss Jena Q.C.Adapter. (Zeiss M44x1 ) for my Telemator, good second hand would have been okay. But , you know what say about 'rocking horse ...' !  The current Baader alternative  requires an adapter to fit either side of it to enable its fitting into the Telemator M44 on the scope side and my Zeiss roof prism on the other.

I was just about to place an order for the Baader goods but was saved by the bell in checking all my usual sources of inspiration, including Cloudy Nights. The first sight of the C.Z.Jena Q.C.Adapter on this forum convinced me it was a far superior product to the one I was about to buy.

I assume of course that Sky Meca's version includes the Zeiss M44 thread both sides!  I presume the control knob would be simplified in maybe not incorporating the red acetal type plastic cover disc !  However, in my humble opinion, I prefer to see the red disc, it matches the colour logic of the later Telementor/Telemator models and red also serves as a warning - touch at your peril, beware.

Regards,

Ian Lamont

(Death or Stars)

#38 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:32 AM

Hi there, I did indeed consider it, many CNer's contacted me by private message, and I did ask a quote to the miller/turner for 1 pc for me, and for 10 pcs if some people want one. I will show you the quote here, but I am not a seller, not a miller/turner, I can only get some machined, and send them to a dozen of people, with no extra charge (absolutely no profit) besides shipping costs, I don't want to infringe any law or behaviour on CN or other. It is only for helping Zeiss fans friends here :-). Let's see for the quote first. I like the work of this miller turner, he has done already two pieces for me (above here is one) and one for Manent refractor.

Wait and see, all details to come here soon :-D

#39 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:32 AM

I will check if Sky Meca is able to deal in English and if they can ship internationally too, and if they want to sell it online, they have a webshop already

#40 Death or Stars

Death or Stars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

Hello Sylvain,

Nice to read such a quick response, thanks.

I agree with your sentiments entirely, I do hope you include me in your list of Zeiss fans/friends. As they say, friendship is a question of trust and trust is a function of time. However , we both have a passion for one of the seven liberal arts and sciences and this makes our small fraternity just that little beyond the average in terms of brotherhood.

I live in a place called Amble, which is located on the North Sea Coast on the border between England and Scotland. A freezing cold place most of the year but is blessed with a very dark sky at night, especially this time of the year.

To all who read this posting, Syllvain is absolutely providing a solution to a long term problem, which many have thought about, and to which, at no profit to himself, has invested his own time and money to provide a working solution - his efforts are appreciated.

I know a machinist who runs his own business making all sorts for the chemical and water industries. He mainly works mainly in stainless - steel and brass. He has made a number of items for me over the last couple of years for my hobby and his workmanship is beyond question.  Thought -  would you be willing to lend me your original Zeiss Q.C. Adapter for a couple of weeks. I promise to return it as received?  My man would  measure/scan both elements and provide a price for a one off unit to me, his price may even be okay for others!  If this were the case, I would provide contact details of the firm.

I do not speak French and Sky Meca appear somewhat difficult to get hold of via their website.

Keep in touch.

Ian Lamont,

Consultant Civil Engineer (the day job)

• Disciplus55 likes this

#41 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

Sure, no worries, maybe you should remove your contact details from the message you have just posted. Send them to me in private message built in CN

#42 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

Ok, got the quote ! 68 euro + shipping if I get 10 done. So, please send me a private message on CN if someone wants one, I need to assess if I get 1 done for me or 10.

• Astrojensen likes this

#43 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:32 PM

Definitely the button will be different, and I can discuss the color since some Telementor are silver grey (like my T1) or dark grey like T2’s... but for the rest, yes, Zeiss M44 thread, he has taken my unit to get all dimensions to make a replica of it.

If there is a business potential for him, I will discuss with him.

#44 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

Hi Sylvain,

PM sent.

EDIT: Just curious, are these adapters being made out of steel, aluminium, or possibly another type of alloy ?

Edited by Mike E., 15 January 2020 - 01:58 PM.

#45 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

Hi, i know that they will be black/dark grey anodized and that the button will be “more simple”. I will drop him a message for the material used.

#46 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:40 AM

Wow, that was fast, already 9 reserved and waiting for one gentleman to confirm if I keep the 10th one for him. If more people are interested, then the turner/miller can make more of course.

#47 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

Just had a chat with Skymeca: the price I got is for anodized aluminum. Stainless steel could easily be double the price or more with epoxy paint on it... is it OK for you all in anodized aluminum? Tell me quickly ! 

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#48 Death or Stars

Death or Stars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

From Ian L.

Sent you a long e-mail under private conversation, on the subject of S.S.  My laptop is playing up so I'am not sure whether you have received it !!

No matter , still include me for the Al- anodised version - thanks.

Regards,

Ian L.

#49 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

Stainless Steel for me if its an option ?

( PM sent. )

#50 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:30 AM

Hi all, just asked for a quote for 2 pcs in stainless steel and epoxy paint, let's see when I have it back :)

• Corcaroli78 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics