•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The A. Jaegers Thread

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

Rather than continue to pile-on to threads started by others about specific items, I thought I'd start a thread where everything by A. Jaegers would be welcome.

I picked up a Jaegers mount today, with a story behind it.  Though it is used, and it just showed up in my garage this afternoon, I am the original buyer from A. Jaegers, back sometime around 1978-81.

Back then I assembled a 4.25" Cassegrain, using Novak parts & Coulter optics.  I mounted it on a Jaegers mount.  It was a nice little planetary scope but fell into disuse as I found myself using my 8" f/7 Newt on a Cave mount, much more frequently.  The little Cass just couldn't hope to compete, optically, with the big Newt.  I eventually sold the Cass & mount to another club member, and it became a distant, fuzzy memory.  

Then last year, I was contacted by a fellow CN member who had purchased a little Cassegran on a Jaegers mount, through a local online Classifieds listing.  Included was some literature including a club newsletter with my "for sale" ad.  He recognized my name and contacted me to see if I was the same person who originally sold the scope.  He sent me some pics, and sure enough, it was the same one, still in decent shape and apparently not used much by the person who bought it from me all those years ago.  The CN member who bought it also lives only 5 minutes from me by car.  We've developed a terrific friendship as a result of the little Cass.  Anyway, he's doing a masterful rebuild/restoration of the OTA and has made it his telescope in spirit as well as legal ownership, but he graciously sold the old Jaegers mount back to me, and I took delivery of it today.

So I am the first owner, and fourth owner.  Funny but this is the third piece of astro hardware I've sold, that came back to me years later.

The motor still works, looks hardly run from the lack of wear on the gear.  Some paint scratches, but still in great shape.  This is the 5/8" shaft mount, not as common as the Jaegers 1" shaft mount, and on Jaegers 48" steel pedestal.  My plan is to mount my Jaegers 5" f/5 refractor on it, for a complete Jaegers build.  I'll add a dec. slow motion at least.  I want to try the Jaegers RA drive but if it's not up to snuff, I may replace it with a homemade drive.  I at least have to get some Teflon pads under the setscrews on the gear attachment collar.

Small mount 001a.jpg

Small mount 002a.jpg

Small mount 003a.jpg

Feel free to post any and all Jaegers items in this thread, if you feel they don't quite warrant a dedicated thread.

• droid, dawsonian2000, AndreyYa and 12 others like this

#2 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

:nonono: Your coupling is backwards. :nonono:  Sorry I just couldn't resist!! :lol:  Mike

Edited by mikey cee, 03 April 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#3 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

:nonono: Your coupling is backwards. :nonono:  Sorry I just couldn't resist!! :lol:  Mike

There's more to it than satisfying your personal visual aesthetic.

Look closely at the photo, and you'll notice that Jaegers shipped this mount with the wrong pier cap.  The smaller mount should have had one with a central hole receiver, not the flat triangular upright for the polar shaft casting to bolt to.  In this instance, they just flattened the cylindrical portion of the mount adapter, drilled a hole in it, and bolted it to the pier cap.

This is a perfectly acceptable way of mounting on the pier, if your latitude allows it.

If they had shipped the pier with the correct cap, there would have been no backwards or forwards.

Don't let it bug you too much.  I thought about turning it around but now am going to keep it that way.    ;)

• orion61, starman876, Marc-Andre and 2 others like this

#4 mdowns

mdowns

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

Chuck,

It's great fun for me to see that mount again. When I did my first jaegers 5"f5 build (1970) I was torn between this mount and the Edmund with heavier shafts and a tall wooden tripod. I choose the Edmunds but only after lots of deliberation. I still like the look of the pedestal!

• semiosteve likes this

#5 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

Like you, I've got reservations about it holding the 5", but I have both Jaegers and Edmund 1" shaft mounts if need be.

#6 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

That is a nice looking mount, it looks like a scaled down 1 inch.

I had that drive on my Edmund 4 inch refractor back in the 70's, as well as

the Jaegers 6" cast aluminum setting circles.

Robert

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:25 PM

That's so cool Chuck! I told the story here a couple of years ago about how a 5/8" Edmund Eq. Mount that I had purchased new in 1966 came back to me after a long hiatus. I hadn't sold it tho, mine went missing after a move and eventually turned up years later stored in a friend's garage a hundred miles away. Comparing the two, I can't help noticing that the Jaeger's is a bit more artsy and finished looking compared to the very workmanlike Edmund. Glad you got it back!

#8 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

I had a 5" F5 Jaegers in 1989, I spent many hours with it, I mean so many the pinion gear and rack were worn to the point I had to bull file the rack down and cut new slots in it, then use my Guitar fret files and match the pinion gear to it.

The objective was epoxied and had clouded on about 30%. I had tried everything to separate it. Remember this was back in the stone age before Google and Cloudy Nights!

I really miss it and would give about anything for another one. On the happier side Orion makes a heck of a 120mm F5.

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

I got years of reliable use from my Jaegers GEM & 5' pedestal.  First with my Tasco 76mm f/15, then with my D&G 5" f/10.  The goofy looking clock drive tracked well up to 500x.  And compared to modern mounts, it was dirt cheap!

#10 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

Oh yeah I too had the red knobbed Jaegers 1" mount with there 6" aluminum taped setting circles etc. on the pier with the tubular braces and all. I mean like who didn't??? But I broke tradition and put one of Edmund's notorious cam adjusted drives on it as the Jaegers if I recall didn't have a slip clutch on theirs. :confused:  Mike

• Bomber Bob likes this

#11 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:40 PM

Well, you're right on that, Mikey.  I found a workaround on my Jaegers 1" shaft mount.  I pulled out the setscrews on the shaft cup that holds the gear onto the shaft, and inserted a 1/8" thick Teflon plug down each hole, then replaced the setscrews.  Instant slip clutch.  If you polish the end of the shaft first, it works like a charm.  I still have the 1" mount set up that way.

I'm going to try it on this smaller shaft mount, see if it works as well.

The clutch on the Edmund drives is much too small.  I'm currently making a pair of clock drives for the Edmund 5/8" shaft mount with much larger clutch faces.  (The clutch diameter was the same on drives for both the 1" shaft mount and 5/8" shaft mount).  It was tricky to find the sweet spot of friction adjustment, and the cam slow-motion was much too coarse for help with astrophotography guiding.

Here's a couple of teaser pics on the Edmund custom drives, I'll post a dedicated thread when they are done.  But with some very slight modification, they would work well on this Jaegers mount, and one could end up on there.  They are based on the gear set that Sheldon sells, but I'm not using the motor he supplies.  It's too anemic, IMO, so I'm going with SYNCHRON motors.

001.jpg

Motor 001.jpg

• BarabinoSr, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#12 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:11 AM

No clutch with the drive I'm making for the Edmund from the old Jaegers parts.  Instead, the worm gear & housing will slide down away from the polar gear to move the scope, and slide up & lock with a thumbscrew to mate the gearing & track.

#13 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

I'm spoiled, JW.  I love a "no-fuss" friction clutch.  I'm using a needle-roller thrust bearing under the big wing nut, so that clutch friction doesn't change when you slew the scope manually.  A Nylock nut would accomplish the same thing, but not be as cool.  

If you don't incorporate a clutch, be sure you have a slo-motion option for centering.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#14 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

A pair of Jaegers refractor focusers.

Foc005a_zpse44ec432.jpg

The Giant focuser on the right was reworked by Jim Riffle, who also added the gold-plated knobs.  It's one of the smoothest rack-and-pinions I've ever owned.  

• BarabinoSr, Deven Matlick, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#15 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

Jaegers 1" shaft mount on tall pedestal (60") with stock clock drive.  Custom machined adapter for Losmandy dovetail receiver (made for an Atlas mount).  Jaegers 4.2" f/4.5 refractor.

Jaegers003_zpsce123a2c.jpg

JaegersMount004_zps4ad9f02c.jpg

• Deven Matlick, catboat, Marc-Andre and 3 others like this

#16 mfalls

mfalls

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston Mountains Arkansas

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:36 AM

1 inch shaft Jaeger's equatorial mount on a pedestal. First mount I have disassembled. Read several threads with good maintenance/restoration info on similar Edmund mounts plus what appears to be an identical mount here:

Updating the old Jaeger's mount 

Did not see any bearings, sleeves, plastic washers when disassembling.

I wonder if this mount originally came with a 6 inch newtonian.

IMG_20161107_115406-486x648.jpg

Declination shaft

IMG_20161107_133550-486x648.jpg

Polar shaft

IMG_20161107_133826-486x648.jpg

• Chuck Hards, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#17 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

That one looks really nice, shouldn't take much work, if any.  Maybe just clean and lube.  The only non-stock items I can see are the black plastic hand knobs holding the pier cap onto the pedestal.

It's missing a shaft collar between the counterweight and DEC shaft casting.  An easy-to-find item.  You could also add another one on the end of the DEC shaft, as a toe-saver.

• mfalls likes this

#18 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

That same mount carried my 5" D&G refractor for years.  I bought it new on the 5' pedestal for my Tasco 80x1200, but fitted it to a surveyor tripod for the D&G.  It came with a toe-saver grub screw about 1/2" from the end of the c/w shaft that I replaced with a larger thumbscrew.  The clock drive was goofy and complicated, but it worked.

DG 5 on Tripod 03.jpg

• Deven Matlick, mfalls, Marc-Andre and 1 other like this

#19 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

Chuck as I recall I chose the Edmunds drive over the Jaegers drive because the Edmunds had a slip clutch. Back in the 70's there wasn't much to choose from. What steps do you have to go to in order to do a fast slue in RA?  Mike

#20 mfalls

mfalls

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston Mountains Arkansas

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

That one looks really nice, shouldn't take much work, if any.  Maybe just clean and lube.  The only non-stock items I can see are the black plastic hand knobs holding the pier cap onto the pedestal.

It's missing a shaft collar between the counterweight and DEC shaft casting.  An easy-to-find item.  You could also add another one on the end of the DEC shaft, as a toe-saver.

Thanks Chuck the declination movement has smoothed up and I haven't cleaned and lubed it yet.  

#21 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

Chuck as I recall I chose the Edmunds drive over the Jaegers drive because the Edmunds had a slip clutch. Back in the 70's there wasn't much to choose from. What steps do you have to go to in order to do a fast slue in RA?  Mike

I just move it, Mike.  The trick is to line the shaft with a thin sheet metal or Teflon band, and adjust the setscrews just tight enough.  The telescope must be balanced, but in practice it works just like a slip clutch.

I have both Edmund 1" & 5/8" mounts with clock drives, as well as both Jaegers with factory clock drives.  Both work pretty well.  Same motor, gear, and worm specs on both, the only difference is the "clutch".

The RA slow-motions are different too.  Jaegers has a hand knob directly coupled to the worm shaft, whereas Edmund has that funky cam that rotates everything.  

• mfalls, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#22 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:29 AM

Chuck Hards, on 08 Nov 2016 - 7:12 PM, said:

mikey cee, on 08 Nov 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

I just move it, Mike.  The trick is to line the shaft with a thin sheet metal or Teflon band, and adjust the setscrews just tight enough.  The telescope must be balanced, but in practice it works just like a slip clutch.

I have both Edmund 1" & 5/8" mounts with clock drives, as well as both Jaegers with factory clock drives.  Both work pretty well.  Same motor, gear, and worm specs on both, the only difference is the "clutch".

The RA slow-motions are different too.  Jaegers has a hand knob directly coupled to the worm shaft, whereas Edmund has that funky cam that rotates everything.  

Yeah that funky cam with that little "funky ball bearing". :p  Mike

• Terra Nova likes this

#23 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

Rather than continue to pile-on to threads started by others about specific items, I thought I'd start a thread where everything by A. Jaegers would be welcome.

I picked up a Jaegers mount today, with a story behind it.  Though it is used, and it just showed up in my garage this afternoon, I am the original buyer from A. Jaegers, back sometime around 1978-81.

Back then I assembled a 4.25" Cassegrain, using Novak parts & Coulter optics.  I mounted it on a Jaegers mount.  It was a nice little planetary scope but fell into disuse as I found myself using my 8" f/7 Newt on a Cave mount, much more frequently.  The little Cass just couldn't hope to compete, optically, with the big Newt.  I eventually sold the Cass & mount to another club member, and it became a distant, fuzzy memory.  

Then last year, I was contacted by a fellow CN member who had purchased a little Cassegran on a Jaegers mount, through a local online Classifieds listing.  Included was some literature including a club newsletter with my "for sale" ad.  He recognized my name and contacted me to see if I was the same person who originally sold the scope.  He sent me some pics, and sure enough, it was the same one, still in decent shape and apparently not used much by the person who bought it from me all those years ago.  The CN member who bought it also lives only 5 minutes from me by car.  We've developed a terrific friendship as a result of the little Cass.  Anyway, he's doing a masterful rebuild/restoration of the OTA and has made it his telescope in spirit as well as legal ownership, but he graciously sold the old Jaegers mount back to me, and I took delivery of it today.

So I am the first owner, and fourth owner.  Funny but this is the third piece of astro hardware I've sold, that came back to me years later.

The motor still works, looks hardly run from the lack of wear on the gear.  Some paint scratches, but still in great shape.  This is the 5/8" shaft mount, not as common as the Jaegers 1" shaft mount, and on Jaegers 48" steel pedestal.  My plan is to mount my Jaegers 5" f/5 refractor on it, for a complete Jaegers build.  I'll add a dec. slow motion at least.  I want to try the Jaegers RA drive but if it's not up to snuff, I may replace it with a homemade drive.  I at least have to get some Teflon pads under the setscrews on the gear attachment collar.

attachicon.gifSmall mount 001a.jpg

attachicon.gifSmall mount 002a.jpg

attachicon.gifSmall mount 003a.jpg

Feel free to post any and all Jaegers items in this thread, if you feel they don't quite warrant a dedicated thread.

Wow - it is great to see one of these mounts in your pix. I just have memories of them from the Jaegers catalog and ads many years ago. You are in the right place - thanks so much for posting here!

• Chuck Hards likes this

#24 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Thanks Steve, I plan on using it for a number of classic scopes, including a current (but protracted) Jaegers 5" f/5 refractor build.  

#25 droid

droid

rocketman

• Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

attachicon.gifSmall mount 001a.jpg

attachicon.gifSmall mount 002a.jpg

attachicon.gifSmall mount 003a.jpg

Chuck; that is awesome, nice looking pedestal....tall enough for a refractor?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics