•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The A. Jaegers Thread

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:23 PM

I've had the parts done for this for a couple of years, finally got motivated to get the tube painted and put it together during my lunch breaks at work.  It's going to end up as the finder on my Jaegers 5" f/5, but for now it's going to be the finder on my Jaegers 4" f/15.  I think I have parts for one more of these so conceivabley could have one on both scopes when the dust settles.  I'm kind of stuck on having Jaegers finders on Jaegers main instruments.

Jaegers cell and objective, no. 958  54mm x 390mm, Jaegers focuser.  2-part catalyzed automotive paint, wet-sanded to 2000 grit then polished and buffed.  Stainless steel allen screw hardware though I've got some low-profile, round-head bolts for the cell on the way.  I still need to come up with a dewcap, and I just rolled-up a piece of flocking and stuck it in there for now.

It's going on the 4-inch refractor this week in hopes of some looks at the moon on the weekend.

I've got a whole slew of 1.25" cross-hair eyepieces for it, including a real Jaegers cross-hair finder eyepiece.  I'll try a few out and settle on the one with the image scale that works out the best.  That's a RACI diagonal in the pics.

50mm 002.jpg

50mm 001.jpg

50mm 003.jpg

• jim kuhns, clamchip, DreamWeaver and 7 others like this

#27 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

That is amazing. You must be really excited. I know i would be if an old friend returns.

#28 steve t

steve t

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

Wow, very nice workmanship. 

I look forward to hear how it performs. 

Steve T 

#29 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:48 AM

I have a Jaegers 6 inch, F/10 achromatic, air-spaced objective lens that I purchased here on CN a few months back from Starbird (an excellent seller, by the way). It is an original lens from the 1960's in perfect condition.

It would be fun to build a tube assembly for the lens, but with my bum back I am not sure I could handle it. Maybe a  mount on wheels I could wheel in and out of my garage...

I know the lens would display significant color, but I understand that many of these Jaegers 6 inch object glasses have excellent spherical correction. That might make up for some of the color.

I would really like to try this lens out, but I have to be realistic about my physical capabilities. If you see this lens for sale at some point, that is why.

Steve

#30 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• Loc: Manchester MI

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

Chuck,

Here is my version of that same scope set up to be a guide scope.

50mm f7.5.jpg

The objective and cell should look familiar to you.

How about these - 80mm f15 and 110mm f10ish.

110 and 80 smaller.jpg

I like these Jaegers objectives and I have several others to work with.

Clay

• jim kuhns, astro140, Chuck Hards and 1 other like this

#31 TSSClay

TSSClay

Viking 1

• Loc: Manchester MI

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

Then there is always my 6" f10.  My very favorite build so far.

mounted.jpg

This is a very nice scope and will be out all summer for me to look through while the observatory scopes are chugging away taking astrophotos.

Clay

• jim kuhns, clamchip, Chuck Hards and 5 others like this

#32 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

6" F10 has been in operation for about five years.  Marked 1973. This one gives VERY good images and ruler straight DPAC.

4" F15 About six or seven years. Another superb lens.

5" F5 Currently apart, good wide field scope.

4.5" F4.5 about the same but in operational condition. Decent travel scope, but not great on planets. (duh)

3.25" F15 sold.

• TSSClay likes this

#33 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

My Jaegermeister 4 that I built around a 1970s 4" F5.  This photo is before it broke loose from the VersaGo one night!!

JaegerMeister 4 - VersaGo 2 AZM S02.jpg

• Chuck Hards, KentTolley, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#34 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

My Jaegermeister 4 that I built around a 1970s 4" F5.  This photo is before it broke loose from the VersaGo one night!!

attachicon.gif JaegerMeister 4 - VersaGo 2 AZM S02.jpg

:wow: Is there an ‘after’ picture?

#35 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

No damage:  Except to the inside of my left shin -- I was sitting, and it slid down on me!

• DreamWeaver and Terra Nova like this

#36 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

No damage:  Except to the inside of my left shin -- I was sitting, and it slid down on me!

Can't blame that one on the dog...  ;)

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#37 KentTolley

KentTolley

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

Really well done scopes on this thread.  My hat's off to their makers.  Would love to see Chuck's finder on his 4" and 5."

#38 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

Can't blame that one on the dog...  wink.gif

He said it was a Jaegers, not a Towa! ;) :lol:

#39 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

My McMaster-Carr order arrived yesterday, so tonight I replaced the tall SS Allen heads with some low-profile round-head Allens on the Jaegers 50mm finder.  I used black oxide for the cell but retained the shiny stainless finish for the focuser.  I like the looks much better.  The tall Allen heads look rugged and industrial on a larger scope, but they are out of place on a smaller one.  I realized tonight that a side benefit is that I only had to remove the focuser knobs & pinion to slide it into the bracket, with the bigger bolt heads I would have had to remove the entire focuser.   I had already squared-on the focuser with the laser so it worked out well.

50mm 007.jpg

50mm 006.jpg

50mm 005.jpg

Here is the Jaegers 1.25" 56mm eyepiece, the one with two inches of eye relief.  I decided not to use it mostly because the focal plane fell right on one of the prism surfaces so every speck of dust was in perfect focus.  Also it didn't have cross-hairs.  I'm going to use a modern X-hair reticle eyepiece to start out with, see where it leads.

50mm 004.jpg

Here is the new finder next to the one it's replacing.

008.jpg

Installed in the bracket.  I'm keeping my eye on the sky.  If it continues to look good and I can keep my eyes open, I'll set up the Jaegers tonight.  Sky is looking better but it's breezy, the foil of the long refractor.

009.jpg

Here is a Jaegers 30mm finder, using a Jaegers cross-hair eyepiece.  Note the single detent in the aluminum barrel to add friction to the eyepiece.  It holds it in well yet permits movement for focusing.  Simple.  That's a modern bracket it's sitting in at the moment.  This one may become the finder on my Jaegers 50mm f/25 build.  (Thanks again, Carol!)  Seen next to the 50mm for an idea of scale.

011.jpg

010.jpg

• CharlieB, DreamWeaver, steve t and 5 others like this

#40 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 09 February 2022 - 09:20 AM

I thought it was time to bring Chuck's Jaegers thread back to life plus I need some help from the  Jaegers experts.

First, before tackling my issue,  I want to show the new dew-shield that arrived a few days ago.  Not specifically made for a 5" tube I made it work by using velcro straps around the circumference.  This dew-shield was made for a Takahashi  210 Mewlon.  I thought by utilizing a larger flexible shield I could use it on several models of my classics.  It worked out quite well and while it looks way to long for the Jaegers 5" rft it  extends 6.5" past the objective....almost half of the shield is wrapped around the OTA and  cell. 

Jaegers....before and after......Dew ready.

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220112_094517a.jpg
  • 20220208_163155a.jpg

Edited by PawPaw, 09 February 2022 - 09:46 AM.

• photiost, astro140, steve t and 5 others like this

#41 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 09 February 2022 - 09:41 AM

Back to my issue.......Whoever built this Jaegers may have cut the tube just a little short......I cannot reach focus with the 1.5" Wide Angle Erfle that was offered with the kit (pt# 1E3205).  with the 2.7" focuser completely racked out I need another 1-2" to reach focus with this eyepiece.  To fix this issue I can either get a longer OTA tube or make an adapter to extend the focuser tube for the Erfle.  

My question is does anyone have the instruction booklet (Pt# 2754) that came with the 5" RFT kit?  I want to confirm what Jaegers recommended for the OTA length.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220208_163930a.jpg
  • 20220208_163843a.jpg
  • 20220208_163801a.jpg

• steve t, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#42 jragsdale

jragsdale

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 09 February 2022 - 09:55 AM

Back to my issue.......Whoever built this Jaegers may have cut the tube just a little short......I cannot reach focus with the 1.5" Wide Angle Erfle that was offered with the kit (pt# 1E3205).  with the 2.7" focuser completely racked out I need another 1-2" to reach focus with this eyepiece.  To fix this issue I can either get a longer OTA tube or make an adapter to extend the focuser tube for the Erfle.  

Can you use a diagonal with that eyepiece? On my 6" f/15 I've noticed on some eyepieces, I have not enough in focus with a diagonal, and not enough out focus without (have to use an extension tube). It's hard to accommodate both, I wonder if a diagonal was the main goal?

• PawPaw and Defenderslideguitar like this

#43 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 09 February 2022 - 10:24 AM

Can you use a diagonal with that eyepiece? On my 6" f/15 I've noticed on some eyepieces, I have not enough in focus with a diagonal, and not enough out focus without (have to use an extension tube). It's hard to accommodate both, I wonder if a diagonal was the main goal?

A diagonal would solve the issue but I want to keep it as original as possible plus I would have to purchase a 2" diagonal and make another adapter for this eyepiece.  This Erfle was designed to fit the Jaegers 2.7" focuser as you can see in the pics.  

This eyepiece came with the 5" RFT kit and was designed to be used without a diagonal from what I can gather from my old Jaegers catalog. 

• BillB9430, Terra Nova, jragsdale and 1 other like this

#44 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in New Hampshire

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:43 AM

Yeah that funky cam with that little "funky ball bearing". tongue2.gif  Mike

That funky little 1/8" stainless steel ball bearing that can be found in any hardware store for under $1.00! LOL

Q

#45 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:32 PM

Got this many many years ago @ Stellafane, Jaegers 75mm f7.5

Gives Beautiful wide field views using the Vintage Meade Super wide angle 24.5mm  (Japan) 1.25" eyepiece.

Attached Thumbnails

• 75mm f7p5.jpg

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#46 BillB9430

BillB9430

Ranger 4

• Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:36 PM

PawPaw, Some information and background on your Jaegers 5" F/5 RFT:

The original article about building one of these occupied ten pages of the little Fawcett 1960 How-to book No. 454 by Lloyd Mallan. The original specifications called for a 5"O.D. aluminum tube 21" in length. This used the big 38mm (1.5") eyepiece from the WWII Sherman tank main gun aiming scope (M71). Mallan describes cementing the heavy eyepiece onto a cardboard (gasp!) tube to slide into the scope. The cardboard appears to be cemented onto a modified (enlarged) 1.25" adapter for the big Erfle! This eyepiece was available from Jaegers early on as No. 1E1405. The eyepiece was just as removed from the tank scope and included a multiple start threaded helical diopter focus with about 11 mm of focus travel. This appears to be the eyepiece you have. See 1967 catalog photo of this. Later, Jaegers remounted the same surplus eyepiece lenses in a non-focusing anodized housing, that one is No. 1E3205.

67ER.JPG

82ER.JPG

Both versions of that eyepiece can be used with Jaegers  2.7" R&P No. 36C3081"Super Eyepiece Mount". That is the focuser you have. Since the eyepiece was from WWII, I suspect the focuser was designed specifically to accommodate the 2.7" diameter of the older M71 eyepiece attachment section. This section of the eyepiece was threaded 32 TPI, but is just a slip fit into the recessed top of the "Super Focuser" tube, where it is secured with the  focuser thumb screw. The later, remounted anodized non-focusable version of this eyepiece was kept the same diameter, but slipped deeper into the Super Focuser by about 5/8", so would require an even longer 5" main tube to reach infinity focus than yours does. 

My first 5" F/5 RFT build in the early 1970's used the super focuser, but I cut the tube to 20" so a home-made diagonal using a large RA prism could be used for viewing near zenith.

I took some time today to make measurements on another Jaegers 5" F/5 RFT focused at infinity that may help out. It has a tube length of 19", including .8" pushed into the back of the Jaegers objective cell. I measured the distance from the plane of the end of the tube (butted against the focuser flange) to the end of the 2.7" R&P tube holding the eyepiece. With the original military diopter housing set to its lowest, the back of the focuser tube was just 6" from the plane of the back end of the 5" tube. Repeating with the remounted No. 1E3205 1.5" Erfle (which slides 5/8" deeper into the focuser tube), the focuser end to plane of the back of the 5" tube was an unsurprising 6 5/8".

By the way, this scope was never available finished from Jaegers or even as a "kit" of the nature of the U.O 80 mm Kit Refractor. Rather, Jaegers took a cue from the listing in the Mallan article and specified in the catalog the part names, individual part numbers, and prices so the ATM could order those as needed. Additional parts like screws and glare stops were not available from Jaegers, but needed to be sourced or built from materials available locally. I'll include photos of those from 1967 and 1970 catalogs- note change in eyepiece designation and addition of the "Super Focuser.

67 Cat.JPG

70Cat.JPG

Though I cannot find a "No. 2754" printed on the Jaegers provided instruction booklet I have, I think what Jaegers provided was just a Mallan reprint (My copy says "Reprinted through the courtesy of AMATEUR ASTRONOMY HANDBOOK Copyright 1960, Fawcett Publications, Inc.) augmented with a dimensioned diagram and listing of eyepieces and accessories that will work with this scope. I'll attach those latter two. Note that they are the "revised" version, likely referring to their use of the 2.7" "Super Focuser" rather than earlier focus schemes.

5%22F:5Diag.JPG

EYEP.JPG

Since the Milky Way is at zenith in the summer, I personally find having a right angle diagonal view is important. Another good use of the Jaegers 5" F/5 is for nice terrestrial views under twilight conditions, so an erect and correct image can be an advantage. (Better for North America Nebula, too!) Shortening the tube to allow for a diagonal mirror or Amici prism is worthwhile, though not very traditional. To gain this convenience and close focus versatility without focuser tube vignetting, my most recent Jaegers 5" F/5 builds have been with the LSDF style focuser using a sliding built-in-the-tube big diagonal mirror or Amici prism. That style is unusual looking and a bit labor intensive to build, but can pretty well come to focus with any eyepiece you want to use, even at fairly close distances. -Bill

Edited by BillB9430, 11 February 2022 - 07:58 AM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 3 others like this

#47 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 February 2022 - 12:07 AM

The catalogs started rolling in after I clipped the "send for free catalog" from

my first Sky & Telescope magazine 1967.

I didn't have any money But I liked the catalogs, they put me that much closer

to my dreamscopes.

I was 10 at the time and what money I did earn I mostly spent at at Edmund

Scientific, I remember a chipped lens kit and a tank prism.

A. Jaegers sent out catalogs in a yellow jacket to protect the catalog like this

one:

post-50896-0-35947200-1454462853_thumb.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 11 February 2022 - 12:09 AM.

• deSitter, tim53, steve t and 4 others like this

#48 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 11 February 2022 - 08:04 AM

Bill,

Thank you very much for the details........that is exactly what I needed.  waytogo.gif

My tube was cut at 17.5 inches just a little short.   

Looks like a new tube is in order 

Cheers

Don

#49 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 11 February 2022 - 08:34 AM

Bill,

Do you happen to have the Jaeger's catalog that has the same info for the 6" f/5? I'd love to get a copy of that in high res if so for my archive that I'm keeping with my scope/build.

Thanks!

#50 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 February 2022 - 09:16 AM

3” f/6.5 Jaegers. I built a total of four 3” Jaegers scopes of various focal lengths, plus a 2” finder. This is the only one I still have. Kinda wish I still had the 3.25” f/15 so I could improve on its somewhat primitive build. 

The big diagonal came from S&S Optika. 

Attached Thumbnails

• F529E123-BDFF-4CED-86E5-5EC3C6D228D3.jpeg

• astro140, steve t, PawPaw and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics