•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI 290MC/MM yet another new camera from ZWO!

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#26 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

yes.

actually I got in the picture I took of the ASI1600 when I was there -> http://www.cloudynig...starting/page-3

Al

P.S.   The 224 & 290 are nearly identical, the key differentiator is that the 290MM comes in mono, while the 224 does not.  So if you are thinking about the 224 and wanted mono, the 290MM is the one you want, whereas if you are looking for color, the 224 is just as if not a bit better.

#27 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

I'd prefer full HD capability if at all possible, the 290 gets us there, although it'd be nice if it were a 1/2" or even a 2/3" format sensor...

#28 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:04 PM

I understand the 290 may control amp glow a better, and while very sensitive, won't be quite as sensitive as the 224.

Jon

#29 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

All signs lead to a strong 'maybe'. I'm cautiously optimistic.

#30 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

All signs lead to a strong 'maybe'. I'm cautiously optimistic.

For Lunar & Solar, all signs lead to "yes!"

Jim T.

#31 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

Agree! I was thinking about DSO use. Aren't both reasonably good for planetary and lunar, or should be?

Jon

#32 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

I received notice on Thursday that my ASI290MM camera had been shipped.  I was expecting it to take a couple weeks to arrive from China but it arrived by UPS overnight!  Pretty sweet for "free shipping".  It was pretty crummy seeing Friday night but I tried the camera any way.  My Jupiter (f/8) and Saturn (f/20) are attached.  I also just for kicks tried the camera on some deepsky objects using SharpCap.  I was not expecting the level of sensitivity I observed.  Sample pixs of deepsky are below as well.  A few quick observations:

- As mentioned, sensitivity was very good, quite a lot better than on my ASI 185MC.  My exposure times were about 1/10th using the 290 when I was imaging Jupiter.

- The driver seems a little unstable.  I had some trouble getting SharpCap and FireCapture to recognize the camera

- I could not get 12 bit mode to work full frame, again probably a driver issue.

- I was reduced to f/4 on my scope, but with the small sensor size it looks like I could reduce much farther before I saw any coma or vignetting.

- There appears to be 2x2 binning possible, at least on the monochrome version

cheers,

Jim T.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jup_230543_g3_ap73-wave-fix.jpg
  • Sat_034828_g3_ap151-wave.jpg

Edited by jimthompson, 01 May 2016 - 02:31 PM.

• CharlesC, R Botero, buddyjesus and 4 others like this

#33 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:29 PM

Jim, will you be evaluating it's use for DSOs?

#34 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

M57:  18x10sec, 162/600 gain

M106:  36x8sec, 329/600 gain

M63:  23x8sec, 329/600 gain

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_18.jpg
  • Stack_36.jpg
  • Stack_23.jpg

• Relativist, tjay, R Botero and 4 others like this

#35 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

Was cooling on?

#36 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Hi Jim,

Great pics. Did you take dark frames for the DSO exposures ? I don't see any indication of amp glow, and if you didn't take darks it probably indicates that this camera lives up to its promise of little to no amp-glow. Thanks.

#37 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for posting Jim!  The 290 mono is a great sensor with the read noise of the 224 but higher sensitivity...  These new CMOS cameras are breaking all the rules!  And the prices are great too!!

jim could you take a couple of dark frames with 30s, 60s and 120s exposurss?

Al

#38 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

I used no dark frames, no cooling (this is the uncooled version), and no light pollution filter (I live in a red/white zone).  I was not expecting the level of contrast and lack of amp glow that I observed.  I am very curious now what can be achieved using a filter from my location.  I am uncertain about the image scale though...so big!  I think more focal reduction is called for to try and sharpen up the image a bit.  Seeing was very poor though so maybe that is part of it.

cheers,

Jim

#39 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

Jim,

It is impressive that there is no obvious amp-glow at these gains/exposures. This is in line with what QHY had indicated in their QHY5III290 camera with the same sensor (although I haven't yet seen any images taken with this camera by users).

#40 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for posting Jim!  The 290 mono is a great sensor with the read noise of the 224 but higher sensitivity...  These new CMOS cameras are breaking all the rules!  And the prices are great too!!

jim could you take a couple of dark frames with 30s, 60s and 120s exposurss?

Al

Hi Al,

I've posted some darks on my Flickr account:

https://www.flickr.c...157667627835182

cheers,

Jim T.

• waitingForTheMiracle likes this

#41 easybob95

easybob95

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

Hello,

i have just ordered an ASI290MC. I will use it with my SCT 9.25" but i also want to use small lens with it.

What kind of lens can be used with ZWO planetary cameras ?

I suppose C and CS mount lens can be used and some Canon and Nikon lens too.

I have a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 lens but it seems there is not a lot of adaptor for this kind of lens (FD mount).

I can find a Canon FD to C mount lens adaptor but i would like to find such adaptor which allow to use a 1"1/4 filter (like CLS filter for example). Does such adaptor exist ?

What would be the best way to use ZWO planetary camera with small lens ?

Many thanks for your highlights.

Clear skies.

Alain

#42 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

Hi Alain

If you check out the ASI website you can purchase a C-mount adapter and an adapter for a canon  eos lens.  However, given the small chip in the 290, I do not think you would need the larger EOS adapter which is also more expensive, 

Al

#43 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hello,

i have just ordered an ASI290MC. I will use it with my SCT 9.25" but i also want to use small lens with it.

What kind of lens can be used with ZWO planetary cameras ?

I suppose C and CS mount lens can be used and some Canon and Nikon lens too.

I have a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 lens but it seems there is not a lot of adaptor for this kind of lens (FD mount).

I can find a Canon FD to C mount lens adaptor but i would like to find such adaptor which allow to use a 1"1/4 filter (like CLS filter for example). Does such adaptor exist ?

What would be the best way to use ZWO planetary camera with small lens ?

Many thanks for your highlights.

Clear skies.

Alain

Alain,

I think the ASI camera bodies have an internal T-Thread (M42 x 0.75mm) which will mate with a T-adapter for camera lenses. I've used a T-adapter for my old camera lenses and it threads straight in to the body of my ASI224MC. If you can find a T-adapter for your FD mount you should be good to go. For example this one might work for you

http://www.walmart.c...1&veh=sem#about

Edit: There are also adapters that can take care of putting a 1.25inch filter into a T-thread train.

Edited by alphatripleplus, 02 May 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#44 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

Both of the ASI cameras I own have a removable threaded ring on the front.  With the ring removed the camera has a T-thread interface.  With the ring in place the camera has a C-thread interface. I am pretty sure all the ASI cameras have this same interface.

cheers,

Jim T.

Attached Thumbnails

• asi120mc5503.png

#45 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

The only additional thing to worry about is whether the back focus distance of the camera is correct for your lens.  You may need to have some spacers to add between lens and camera to adjust this distance so you can reach focus at infinity with the lens.  I guess you can try it without spacers and see if you are lucky.  :)

cheers,

Jim T.

#46 easybob95

easybob95

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi Alain

If you check out the ASI website you can purchase a C-mount adapter and an adapter for a canon  eos lens.  However, given the small chip in the 290, I do not think you would need the larger EOS adapter which is also more expensive, 

Al

Many thanks Al for your response. It's quite easy to find adapter for EOS lens but for FD lens, it's more difficult. I can find FD mount to C mount (i will also need a spacer in order to match the ASI CS mount) but i would like to be able to use a 1"1/4 filter with my FD lens and in that case, it is more difficult to find the good adapter.

Alain

#47 easybob95

easybob95

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

The only additional thing to worry about is whether the back focus distance of the camera is correct for your lens.  You may need to have some spacers to add between lens and camera to adjust this distance so you can reach focus at infinity with the lens.  I guess you can try it without spacers and see if you are lucky.  :)

cheers,

Jim T.

Hello Jim,

it's a good idea to use T thread but the example of adapter you gave is, in my opinion, an adapter for the camera and not for the lens.

Anyway, i will try to find something to connect my FD lens to the ASI T thread. It's a good idea.

Alain

#48 jambi99

jambi99

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Just wondering if the mono version could be use with filter wheel and a Canon Lens. I might run into some back focus problem?

#49 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

I have never tried to use DSLR lenses with these cameras so I don't know what back focus distance they need.  I have used a number of security or TV camera lenses with C-mount interfaces, and they tend to be about right when screwed directly to the camera body, plus-minus 5mm or so.  Not really any space to add a filter wheel in between.

Regards,

Jim T.

#50 waitingForTheMiracle

waitingForTheMiracle

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

Alain,

A straight FD lens to T-mount would be the simplest, if you can find one.

Alternatively, you could use a Canon FD lens to Canon EF adapter, the type without glass that can't focus to infinity. (Example, although you have no use for the electronic connectors.)

You then have an EF-mount and can use a short T-adapter for EOS (example). It needs to be short since the backfocus for FD lenses is 2mm shorter than for EF lenses. Then you fill up with a T-mount filter holder and extension tubes so the total distance from the FD mount to the sensor is 42mm.

• hahied likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics