•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES68 28mm + Dioptrx

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

Haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this.

Has anyone been able to verify whether or not it will fit?

• Charlespl likes this

#2 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

I will try when I get a chance today but I recall SteveG saying more than once that it will fit but it is not tight enough and could be pulled off without too much force.

#3 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

I will try when I get a chance today but I recall SteveG saying more than once that it will fit but it is not tight enough and could be pulled off without too much force.

And that was from a thread by someone else. I cannot confirm this, but I'm pretty sure it fits, albeit loosely.

#4 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

If it fits loosely wouldn't a layer or two of tape make it fit better?

#5 bleep

bleep

Messenger

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

It looks like it works the same as the Tele Vue eyeguard extender which just screws on.   I put a strip of mole skin around the top of my ES 28 and the extender fits snug and does not pull off.

#6 Howard Lester

Howard Lester

Seasoned Veteran

• -----
  • Loc: Saratoga, NY

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

Yes, the Dioptrx fits the ES 28 68-degree eyepiece perfectly. There is no slop, and it won't come off when tightened down enough. I have the ES 28 and a Dioptrx and just tried them together to be sure. 

• SteveG likes this

#7 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

Yes, the Dioptrx fits the ES 28 68-degree eyepiece perfectly. There is no slop, and it won't come off when tightened down enough. I have the ES 28 and a Dioptrx and just tried them together to be sure. 

Wonderful.  Thank you Howard 

#8 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

This fell off my radar, my bad! Glad to hear it works as the ES68 28 had enough ER for my old glasses but my new ones need a bit more. So, good to know that DioptRx is an option.

#9 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Question for you Howard.  Can you see, easily, the full field?

I just tried the Dioptrx on the 24mm ES82 and ES68 and while yes, it fits mechanically, I can just barely see the field stop in the 24mm ES68 and can't with the 24mm ES82 unless I touch the Dioptrix lens.

So it's a no-go for those two.

#10 Howard Lester

Howard Lester

Seasoned Veteran

• -----
  • Loc: Saratoga, NY

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

Hi Dave,

With the ES 28's eyecup extended I can just barely see the entire field when my eye socket is pressed against the eyecup. My eye never needs to touch the Dioptrx lens itself. I would say that, when my eye is looking straight ahead center, I can see maybe 95% or so. A percent figure is hard to judge.  

How much you will be able to see will presumably depend on the shape of your eye socket and your eye's depth within it. It works for me very well. I did compare the eye relief to my Dioptrx-equipped Panoptic 22, and the ES 28 shows more of its field than does the Panoptic 22. I am not at all unhappy with the very-slightly reduced field. If I want to see the entire field at once, I can either move my eye around a little, or roll down the eyecup. So if you happen to have a Panoptic 22 lying around....

Howard

#11 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

I just tried the Dioptrx on the 24mm ES82 and ES68 and while yes, it fits mechanically, I can just barely see the field stop in the 24mm ES68 and can't with the 24mm ES82 unless I touch the Dioptrix lens.

The Meade 24/68 just barely allows for the full afov with Dioptrx sitting on top. As stated, the Pan 22 also allows the full field to be seen. But the ES 24/68 and 24/82 have too short of eye relief, as does the Pan 24.

#12 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

The Meade 24/68 just barely allows for the full afov with Dioptrx sitting on top. As stated, the Pan 22 also allows the full field to be seen. But the ES 24/68 and 24/82 have too short of eye relief, as does the Pan 24.

Yeah, that's what I've discovered.  I recall owning a 22 pan with the Dioprix in the past.  Need to get one again.

#13 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, that's what I've discovered.  I recall owning a 22 pan with the Dioprix in the past.  Need to get one again.

I ended up with a 22t4 for my 2" selection, and the Meade 5k for 1.25", both fitted with Dioptrx.

#14 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

I ended up with a 22t4 for my 2" selection, and the Meade 5k for 1.25", both fitted with Dioptrx.

Enough eye-relief with the 22 Nager for the Dioptrx?  To easily see the whole field that is?

What Meade are you using with the Dioptrx?

#15 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Enough eye-relief with the 22 Nager for the Dioptrx?  To easily see the whole field that is?

Yes, it works quite well with the 22 Nagler. Tried it again last night and loved it. 

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

Since the DioptRx sacrifices at least 8mm of eye relief (more if the eye lens is recessed or concave), one should calculate accordingly.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics