•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intel Compute Stick - Interm Review

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#426 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Hi,

I might be late in this topic but recently I decided to go for a Stick PC for my astro setup from link:

https://www.amazon.c...=8-9&ref=sr_1_9

This product spec says it has a single band 2.4ghz wifi but from this topic, I came to know it has interference issue with USB 3.0 that will not work for my setup as I need to access it remotely over wifi while imaging session in field.

My Equipment:

CGEM Mount

EdgeHD 800

QHY163M USB 3.0 camera

DFK21AU04 USB 2.0 as Guiding Camera

Usb2Serial adapter

Microtouch Auto focuser 

My question is that if insert my USB 3 camera QHY163M using a USB 2.0 cable on USB 2.0 port of stick PC and connect a USB 2.0 hub on USB 3.0 port of this stick PC to connect my other equipments focuser/guider/usb2serial, then would it be fine with 2.4ghz wifi?

Also if it works, then what about download speed of camera with image size 32MB? 

Or should I go strictly for a Stick PC with dual band wifi 2.4ghz/5ghz to work everything over 5ghz wifi?

Thanks,

If you run everything over USB2 (even if you plug a USB2 hub into the USB3 port) then you shouldn't have any problems with 2.4GHz WiFi (or at least none caused by USB3 traffic and signaling).

#427 megauravk

megauravk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

If you run everything over USB2 (even if you plug a USB2 hub into the USB3 port) then you shouldn't have any problems with 2.4GHz WiFi (or at least none caused by USB3 traffic and signaling).

That is helpful. It looks good to use USB2 only with stick while using 2.4Ghz. Hope the download speed over USB2 would not be worse as large image file of 32MB.

Thanks

#428 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

I've now been using these sticks for two years. I really like them and have had no trouble with USB vs WiFi. I find the performance to be quite adequate for Win10 with TheSkyX, PHD2, and Sequence Generator Pro.

One serious problem that should be mentioned is that downloading very large images in SGP is impossible under the 32-bit Windows which comes pre-installed on the stick. I believe this is a limitation of SGP and Windows and not specific to the Intel Compute Stick.

My imaging camera is a ZWO ASI094c with a full-frame 7376x4928 chip. The resulting images are almost 70 MB each. 

SGP connects just fine to the camera and an image is taken. But when it's ready to download nothing happens. The SGP log reports an error which I take to be a memory problem due to the fact that the stick only has 2 GB RAM and SGP needs more.

I *can* take images with smaller chips, just not the ASI094c.

I've solved this problem two different ways (on two different sticks).

First, I installed a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro. Now the stick works with SGP and the ASI094c, but it's noticeably sluggish in general performance compared to the original 32-bit Win 10. I kept this stick and use it sometimes anyway. We don't really care if imaging control is slow.

Second, I installed ubuntu 18.04. This is easy and the OS is WAY more responsive and snappy than Windows. I run KStars and PHD2 and get great all-night imaging runs which I control remotely via TeamViewer on a laptop, iPad, or phone. Personally I think this is the best way to configure the Intel Compute Stick, and this has become my main imaging solution.

That is helpful. It looks good to use USB2 only with stick while using 2.4Ghz. Hope the download speed over USB2 would not be worse as large image file of 32MB.

Thanks

#429 Celerondon

Celerondon

Explorer 1

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

Hi,

I might be late in this topic but recently I decided to go for a Stick PC for my astro setup from link:

https://www.amazon.c...=8-9&ref=sr_1_9

This product spec says it has a single band 2.4ghz wifi but from this topic, I came to know it has interference issue with USB 3.0 that will not work for my setup as I need to access it remotely over wifi while imaging session in field.

My Equipment:

CGEM Mount
EdgeHD 800
QHY163M USB 3.0 camera
DFK21AU04 USB 2.0 as Guiding Camera
Usb2Serial adapter
Microtouch Auto focuser

My question is that if insert my USB 3 camera QHY163M using a USB 2.0 cable on USB 2.0 port of stick PC and connect a USB 2.0 hub on USB 3.0 port of this stick PC to connect my other equipments focuser/guider/usb2serial, then would it be fine with 2.4ghz wifi?

Also if it works, then what about download speed of camera with image size 32MB?

Or should I go strictly for a Stick PC with dual band wifi 2.4ghz/5ghz to work everything over 5ghz wifi?

Thanks,

We know that USB 3 is better for large files and also that 5 GHz WiFi is relatively resistant to interference. I wouldn’t give up the possibility of USB 3 just to ensure WiFi stability. Give yourself a chance at both with a “Stick PC with dual band wifi 2.4ghz/5ghz to work everything over 5ghz wifi.”

Edited by Celerondon, 03 February 2019 - 04:23 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics