•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New old microscope (Steinmar Berlin) with Wetzlar objectives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 glennbech

glennbech

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

Hi,

I bought a second hand microscope off our local classifieds. It got it for 70 Dollars, as the only buyer. The seller inherited it from his father, and it had been standing in a corner, collecting dust. It's impossible to find any information about the brand itself. It is likely from somewhere between 1950 and 1990 since accessories are marked "west germany". When I got it, the focuser knob was stuck and I had to take the whole thing apart to get to it. It was a bit nerve-wrecking at one point with ball bearings jumping all over the table. I got to the focususer and a few dashes of WD-40 did the trick, and it is now fully operational. 

It has a nice feature set; binocular head with 10x eye pieces, 3 Wetzlar objectives (one oil), mechanical stage, removable and adjustable condenser, diaphragm, and filter holder between the lamp and diaphragm. A white diffuser filter was incuded. The whole thing is metal. Not a plastic piece in sight.

The focuser is interesting in itself in the sense that I can move it carefully and it works in "slow motion" mode, but when I move it faster, it switches to coarse adjustment. Did anyone see something like that before?

Can anyone shed some light on what kind of microscope this could be, and why there is almost no reference to the brand? 

More pictures here;  https://goo.gl/photo...qqg8tn8vhaW4gG6

IMG_20160407_233548.jpg

• Starman27, George Blahun Jr and Charlespl like this

#2 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Never mind the name, if it's from der fatherland,it is probably very good!!
  • glennbech likes this

#3 star drop

star drop

The Cardinal

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

It looks to be very nice. Congratulations!

#4 kozmik frakture

kozmik frakture

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick MD USA

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

Good purchase.  One of my monocular microscopes is an Optikon with Wetzlar optical train.  It is a very heavy scope, smooth operating.  Everything on the scope referring country of manufacturing states "Germany", no West or East.  So, I am supposing it was made pre-World War II.

#5 NGC704

NGC704

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: League City, Texas

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

Looks to be a very nice find. If you really want to learn more about it you might consider posting on a forum that's devoted to microscopy. I hate referring folks away from here, and wish this forum were more alive, but "it is what it is" as the threadbare saying goes.

#6 Lt 26

Lt 26

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

70 bucks. Looks like you did good.

Dereck

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:08 PM

http://www.microbehu...-by-categories/

#8 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Well... I'm rather knowledgeable on European continental microscope manufacturers, but the brand "Steinmar Berlin" doesn't ring a bell at all...

"Steindorff Berlin"? Yes, but that's an entiraly different matter. This microscope isn't a Steindorff.

Judging from the pictures, I would say it's kind of a "Frankenstein scope". Doesn't mean it's junk!!!

The foot looks to be an older PZO-STUDAR foot, but I won't go any further without having access to the thing itself.

""Wetzlar" is a city/region only, often used to make an impression as being high quality. As in: "Wetzlar ~high quality optics", "Solingen ~high quality knives".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics