•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Betelgeuse's ring

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 PeterDob

PeterDob

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Montecchio Emilia, Italy

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

I've always been a bit sceptical about this but inspired by Mel's sketch I decided to give it another (and more serious) try. And to my astonishment I saw it! It was extremely faint and I had to look carefully through the different background shades, but the somewhat darker triangle around Betelgeuse was visible. My sketch isn't nearly as impressive as Mel's but this is more or less how I saw it.

The sketch's already two weeks old but I didn't manage to finish it until today...

Cheers!

Peter

Betelgeuze's Ring.jpg

• paulsky, Jef De Wit, steve t and 8 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Peter,

Very impressive.

The places I observe at in recent years would not allow seeing this darkening

around Betelgeuse.

Impressive capture.

Frank :)

#3 Jaycin

Jaycin

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Wyoming USA

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Peter,

That is an amazing sketch of your observation of Betelgeuse! I appreciate your sharing it with us! :)

Clear Skies!

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

Peter,

I didn't know about this ring--guess I missed Mel's post.  Beautiful drawing!  

Edited by Special Ed, 14 April 2016 - 12:39 PM.

#5 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

I had to be just the right light to see the triangular darness in your sketch. I saw Mels post and also put this object on my list. Your sketch looks great!

Cindy

#6 JerryOrr

JerryOrr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Oracle, Arizona

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

Great sketch.  I only recently learned about this.  I shows up quite well, on occasion, as a loose netting of dark nebula around Betelguese, through my 20x80's.

#7 Sheliak_sp

Sheliak_sp

Vanguard

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

Wow Peter, it's awesome, you got it! And you made an excellent sketch! It makes me want to go after this object with my new 22x100 binos, maybe next month or the next season, but I will follow your steps with this binos for sure! Thanks for sharing it!

Migue

#8 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

Nice……….I think you got pretty well Peter……….

I went on to Sky Map Pro 11 Level 6 and zoomed out a few clicks and attached is a portion down to mag 12.5. The blue line (2º) joins Betelgeuse and 52 Ori.

On a mag. 10 limit chart it starts disappear; but going down to 14 it is still apparent.  After that the PC hangs up – too many stars I guess!

Dave.

Btlgs Rng.jpg

• steve t and DDEV like this

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

Peter,

Good sketch of Betelgeuse's Ring :) .

CS,KLU,

:thanx:  ,

Tom

#10 PeterDob

PeterDob

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Montecchio Emilia, Italy

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

Thank you so much, guys!!! Also thank you, David, for sharing this map. Actually, before seeing Mel's sketch I'd never heard of it and also on Google I couldn't find anything about it (or perhaps I didn't look well enough). So I'm very happy that your map confirms what I saw.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PeterDob, 15 April 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#11 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Vanguard

• Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

Really beautiful sketch of an elusive target...!  Won't ever see this one in my skies.  Thank you!

Regards,

Randolph

#12 Mel Bartels

Mel Bartels

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

Tom Pickett first posted an image of Betelgeuse's Ring or 'Pickett's Bell' as he calls it, to FB on Nov 23, 2015.

His comments in part from FB, "Here is an image of the star Betelgeuse and this strange bell shaped dark nebula that circles the star... A few friends of mine and myself did a search to try and find a name for this strange bell shaped object and nowhere is it listed, so I'm calling it "Pickett's Bell" for now until someone can find an official name for it... I hope you like this image.."

I searched previous wide angle images of Orion and checked star atlases and immediately was struck that the ring has been imaged for many years but no one noticed, and that atlases show the ring by absence of stars. Also, Barnard a hundred years ago noticed at least portions of it because some Barnard Dark Nebula are involved.

So I took a look, and sure enough, while portions of it are immediately obvious, and while the fainter portions take effort, time and good skies, it is visible! One never knows of course and there's the issue that digital images more and more diverge from the naive appearance as if we might one day find ourselves floating much closer to the object in space.

That you saw it and provide your perspective is wonderful! It's a most interesting object because of the variable intensity, newness, extreme size and omission by all of us over decades.

Mel

• Tom Pickett and DDEV like this

#13 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

It is always a question whether one sees a real ring or an optical effect from the scope (an internal reflection). The question can be answered by observing another star of similar brightness. This is also the first step for observing the Merope nebual (which is much easier of course).

#14 Tom Pickett

Tom Pickett

Lift Off

• Loc: Texas

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:52 PM

Tom Pickett first posted an image of Betelgeuse's Ring or 'Pickett's Bell' as he calls it, to FB on Nov 23, 2015.

His comments in part from FB, "Here is an image of the star Betelgeuse and this strange bell shaped dark nebula that circles the star... A few friends of mine and myself did a search to try and find a name for this strange bell shaped object and nowhere is it listed, so I'm calling it "Pickett's Bell" for now until someone can find an official name for it... I hope you like this image.."

I searched previous wide angle images of Orion and checked star atlases and immediately was struck that the ring has been imaged for many years but no one noticed, and that atlases show the ring by absence of stars. Also, Barnard a hundred years ago noticed at least portions of it because some Barnard Dark Nebula are involved.

So I took a look, and sure enough, while portions of it are immediately obvious, and while the fainter portions take effort, time and good skies, it is visible! One never knows of course and there's the issue that digital images more and more diverge from the naive appearance as if we might one day find ourselves floating much closer to the object in space.

That you saw it and provide your perspective is wonderful! It's a most interesting object because of the variable intensity, newness, extreme size and omission by all of us over decades.

Mel

Mel Thanks for your post... I added more sub frames from 2016 to the image from 2015 you are taking about here so I thought I would post it for you guys here... it is a real bell shaped ring around Betelgeuse.

Equipment Details

Camera: Canon EOS T3i/600D Stock (Not Modified)
Lens: Canon 100mm FD F2.8 SSC Set At F4
Exposure: 4 Minutes (240 Seconds) Each
ISO: 1600
Number of Light Frames: 65
Number of Dark Frames: 10
Number of Bias Frames: 10
Shooting Date/Time 10/11/2016 2:07:30 AM

Lens: Canon EL 75-300mm set at 150mm F5.0
Exposure: 2 Minutes (120 Seconds) Each
Number of Stacked Images: 137
Number of Dark Frames: 20
Number of Bias Frames: 20
Shooting Date/Time 11/21/2015 11:47:27 PM

Mount: Celestron CG4 with Clock Drive
Stacking Software: DeepSkyStacker
Processing Software: Photoshop CS6, Camera Raw

Attached Thumbnails

• Autosave002 copy.jpg

• paulsky, eros312, niteskystargazer and 4 others like this

#15 JawZziff

JawZziff

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, Canada

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:32 AM

Wild.

#16 iainp

iainp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:47 AM

Marvellous! A new one for me too. "It was extremely faint..." . So faint in fact, I had to pull the curtains to see it ;-)

Iain 

#17 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Peter its been too long. Hope all's been well on your end. You were missed.

Nice work. Never saw this myself. Interesting.

Pete

#18 blindsmokeybear

blindsmokeybear

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Mel Thanks for your post... I added more sub frames from 2016 to the image from 2015 you are taking about here so I thought I would post it for you guys here... it is a real bell shaped ring around Betelgeuse.

Equipment Details

Lens: Canon 100mm FD F2.8 SSC Set At F4
Exposure: 4 Minutes (240 Seconds) Each
Number of Light Frames: 65
Number of Dark Frames: 10
Number of Bias Frames: 10
Shooting Date/Time 10/11/2016 2:07:30 AM

Lens: Canon EL 75-300mm set at 150mm F5.0
Exposure: 2 Minutes (120 Seconds) Each
Number of Stacked Images: 137
Number of Dark Frames: 20
Number of Bias Frames: 20
Shooting Date/Time 11/21/2015 11:47:27 PM

Mount: Celestron CG4 with Clock Drive
Stacking Software: DeepSkyStacker
Processing Software: Photoshop CS6, Camera Raw

I tried going after the bell last night after learning about it from a youtuber but I wasn't able to capture it. I stacked about 30 1-minute frames, so after reading your process I guess I'll have to increase my exposure and integration times to get it. 

#19 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:02 PM

I realise I'm joining the conversation late, but my goodness, what an interesting phenomenon. Until now I've never heard of the darkened ring / triangle surrounding Betelgeuse. This area of night sky just keeps giving. Many thanks people for bringing this to our attention.

Clear skies,

Darren.

Edited by DDEV, 23 February 2020 - 05:02 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics