•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Citizen Science Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

I'm interested in finding out more and discussing citizen science projects like:

PANOPTES (Panoptic Astronomical Networked OPtical observatory for Transiting Exoplanets Survey) is a citizen science project which aims to build low cost, robotic telescopes which can be used to detect transiting exoplanets.

http://www.projectpanoptes.org/

and

Welcome to the home page of the International Occultation Timing Association (IOTA).  IOTA is a volunteer science and research organization born in 1983.  We gather data from timings of astronomical occultations and provide a variety of educational resources to promote and encourage observations of astronomical occultations.

http://occultations.org/

Any interest here or is there a better forum for discussions?

• llanitedave likes this

#2 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

I would guess that the observing forums are the place to go for that project.  But it's a heck of a worthy topic!

#3 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

Zooniverse is another one.

#4 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

I was hoping to find a forum to discuss opportunities and experiences.

#5 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

Check out the variable star observing forum.

#6 gavinm

gavinm

Vanguard

• Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

I'm interested in finding out more and discussing citizen science projects like:

PANOPTES (Panoptic Astronomical Networked OPtical observatory for Transiting Exoplanets Survey) is a citizen science project which aims to build low cost, robotic telescopes which can be used to detect transiting exoplanets.

http://www.projectpanoptes.org/

and

Welcome to the home page of the International Occultation Timing Association (IOTA).  IOTA is a volunteer science and research organization born in 1983.  We gather data from timings of astronomical occultations and provide a variety of educational resources to promote and encourage observations of astronomical occultations.

http://occultations.org/

Any interest here or is there a better forum for discussions?

PANOPTES is dead before it started. There has been no contact for ages.

#7 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

There hasn't been any activity on the Google+ site for a long time, but the main news site shows an update in January, and some of the software was updated as recently as a month ago.  Not sure what that means.

#8 groz

groz

Vanguard

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

I took a look at the PANOPTES site when I saw it linked here, didn't see anything there worth persuing.  Most of the software in the repository is slightly less than 1/4 baked, and having done transit work with my ccd, not sure how they plan to do it at any level of accuracy with a dslr and a stock lens.  We tried it once here with the dslr and the ccd side by side, this was the exercise we did to see if we needed to buy a ccd for my wife.

PhotometryTwo.jpg

Two telescopes side by side, mine the C8 with an sxv-h9, produced the top light curve.  Bottom is done using my wife's dslr hooked up to a Williams 110.  Both pointed at the same target, taking shots that were processed by the same software using the same comp stars.

Bottom line is, on a half magnitude swing over a couple hours (it's a well known variable we use for these kind of tests, cant remember the designation off the top of my head), the noise level of the dslr made the data unuseable, while the ccd provided a brilliantly clear light curve.

#9 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. This discussion is what I hoped to have.

I was in Hawaii last month and saw a display on Panoptes in the Imiloa Astronomy Center. I tried their contact email but the email bounced. I emailed Olivier Guyon and he said PANOPTES is alive but that they had problems with their web site.

#10 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:51 AM

Josh and Olivier presented at NEAIC and stayed for NEAF, seems they are ready.

Just submitted data to project PANOPTES tonight. Collected from my observatory, not from a robotic remote controlled device like they prefer. We'll see if we can work together and they can use my data.

Edited by sink45ny, 16 April 2019 - 12:53 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics