•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

S&T new Celestial Globe

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:33 PM

I have not because

1-got the moon globe a few years ago, thinking it would help with observing, but have not used it much 

2-they do take up a lot of space

3-cost as have recently retired and money tighter; waiting for your next 50% sale

edj

I have the photographic Mon and Mars versions.  Celestrial would most likely be my next, but they do take lots of room (unlike a flat book).

S&T has 20% of sale this week, so ordered Celestial Globe-will be sad if 50% off next week

edj

Also took advantage of the 20% off sale on the Celestrial Globe.  

P.S.  Agree the discount code was initially confusing because it did not list the sale price before entering the code.

P.S.S.  They will likely have a sale on one day before XMAS, but who knows when that one day will be???

#27 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

Celestial Globe arrived today-6 days after order-in good shape.

A brief inspection is impressive and the 3D aspect gives a different,

and interesting view of the Heavens.

I will spend more time with this toy and the traditional atlases.

My only negative is the two halves may be  1/2 - 1mm off

and the clear tape to bind the halves does stand out a little.

I am happy with the purchase. 

edj

#28 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

In Memoriam

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

All the S&T globes are like that.

You just can't get good help these days.

PS: What is the 3-D aspect? Can you describe it? This is new to me.

Edited by Rick Woods, 28 September 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#29 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

All the S&T globes are like that.

You just can't get good help these days.

PS: What is the 3-D aspect? Can you describe it? This is new to me.

Just like earth globes they differ from flat maps mostly around the poles; or since most astronomy maps have polar maps, i thought it looked most different where the traditional polar maps end and merge with the horizontal maps.  What really stands out is the sperical map is continous in every direction.

Since I have only been able to view my Celestrial Sphere at night, I would have preferred they made the milkyway lighter so it would be easier to see a night with lights on.

#30 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

In Memoriam

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:22 AM

OK. I was imagining some trick 3-D presentation or something. But it sounds like it's the same thing all globes provide.

#31 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

3D--length, width, height, all 12"

MilkyWay-I agree lightercolor  would be better.

When first seen in low light room, I could not  find  the MW;

but in brighter light saw it it.

Brighter in day light might be bothersome to some.

It is a fun toy, worth the cost-?    (I think this group will be divided)

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 29 September 2016 - 06:19 AM.

#32 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:45 PM

OK. I was imagining some trick 3-D presentation or something. But it sounds like it's the same thing all globes provide.

Yes 3D of non-distorted sphere/globe.

#33 Aleko

Aleko

Viking 1

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

I was a bit angry with myself after having bought this on impulse, given that it was $80 and that was on sale. Ii had low expectations and expected something junky. That said, it arrived yesterday...

I love star globes, and I am pleasantly surprised by this one.  It is elegant in its simplicity. Given that these things are usually as much a room decoration as a star map, it could fit in nicely in any style location, traditional or modern. Even the cheap plastic stand actually looks very nice and doesn't "look" cheap at all.  Lots of star names and deep sky objects, yet the fonts are small and clean enough to not clutter the globe, and things are easy to read. I like the fact that the constellations are drawn as modern stick figures, and not the sometimes overdrawn "artwork" as seen on so many star globes. The Milky Way is somewhat understated, but it's there when you're looking for it. I also like that the globe is not fixed to the stand, so that I can hold it in my hands for a closer look and and turn it in any orientation. My favorite globe has been the Rand McNally from around 1980. This globe, though different in many ways, is just as nice. All in all, nicely done, S&T!

BTW, if you like star globes and are ever in the Boston area, one should stop by Harvard's Center for Astrophysics. When visiting there earlier this year, I was pleasantly surprised to see a large selection of star globes in their library. 

-Alex

#34 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

I also like the S&T globes that can be rotated any which direction in your hand; unlike traditional spinning axis globes which are more awkward.

#35 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:34 AM

the Celestial Globe is:

--a toy, something to play with
--educational aid to better understand the interactions of the constellations that a flat atlas
--a piece of art to stand by my desk

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 04 October 2016 - 06:39 AM.

• Aleko likes this

#36 NightSkyGuy

NightSkyGuy

Senior Editor - Sky & Telescope Magazine

• Vendors

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

hi, Aleko...

I was the S&T editor who managed our Celestial Globe effort, and I very much appreciate the detailed feedback from you and edwincjones. ("Milky Way brightness" is now on my "fix" list.)

I'm sure others would appreciate hearing from someone who's actually checked out the globe firsthand. so, if you feel so inclined, you could post a review here in CN at http://www.cloudynig...t/user-reviews/ -- or on the S&T store page (http://www.shopatsky...celestial-globe).

. . . and now you have to find the IAU's "new" names for exoplanet-hosting stars that we included on the globe;

see http://www.skyandtel...nets-121820155/  ;)

clear skies,

Kelly

Edited by NightSkyGuy, 04 October 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#37 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

In Memoriam

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

That's why you guys are #1.

#38 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

The globe is listed in Jan S&T as one of the best products of the year.

edj

#39 GaryS

GaryS

SkyNews Editor

• Vendors

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

The globe is listed in Jan S&T as one of the best products of the year.

edj

It's also reviewed in the latest (Jan/Feb 2017) issue of the Canadian astronomy magazine SkyNews.

Gary

#40 mkothe

mkothe

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

I see these are back in stock after having been unavailable for a while. Does anyone know if they now incorporate some of the suggestions made here, or are just reprints?

Thanks,
Michael

#41 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

I see these are back in stock after having been unavailable for a while. Does anyone know if they now incorporate some of the suggestions made here, or are just reprints?

Thanks,
Michael

If they don't say new and improved lighter milkyway, then they would be the original design.

#42 mkothe

mkothe

Ranger 4

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

You are probably right. When I inquired last year they said it was being redesigned, but that could have been with respect to the manufacturing process. They didn’t reply to my latest inquiry.

#43 mkothe

mkothe

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

<p>Just received a reply from S&amp;T (or F&amp;W for that matter). The globe is the same, but they switched suppliers.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Michael</p>

#44 NightSkyGuy

NightSkyGuy

Senior Editor - Sky & Telescope Magazine

• Vendors

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

Thanks,
Michael

hi, Michael...

making our celestial globe is a two-part process: (1) printing the maps and (2) gluing them onto a sphere. regarding (1), we've reprinted the maps with an eye toward making the MW a little more obvious and we've fixed/added a couple of star names. regarding (2), several months ago I flew to Replogle's plant outside Chicago to work with the production team to get better alignment in the manufacturing process. given that we're turning 2D sheets of paper into 3D globes, the manufacturing method we use isn't optimal for preserving straight constellation lines. but I think the alignment is pretty good now. if anyone has purchased a celestial globe recently, please drop me a line with your impressions. and of course you're always welcome to leave a review (hopefully positive) at:

https://www.shopatsk...celestial-globe

Edited by NightSkyGuy, 10 June 2018 - 09:09 PM.

• mkothe, faackanders2 and Crusty99 like this

#45 mkothe

mkothe

Ranger 4

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Kelly!

I knew I’d get a helpful (and more accurate) answer here!

BTW, not sure what happened to my earlier response, and I can’t seem to find a way to edit it now. 

Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics